ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Scientists find cosmic ripples from birth of universe (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282341)

Fish 03-19-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10501697)
the big bang theory does say that our universe, as we know it, all came out of a tiny particle that exploded. So, this tiny particle existed in space and in time, right? Or, it didn't, right? Regardless, out of this tiny particle came all matter and energy, so again, this is a huge problem/issue/question because out of one tiny particle came everything, and the universe is massive. I understand that the scientific community is still trying to figure it all out, especially at the quantum level and at levels that are basically unmeasurable, but that being said, it's still somewhat of a faith based system to believe everything came out of one tiny particle becasue it breaks all the laws of science that these same scientist claim are essential to understanding the universe.

No. The "Tiny particle" didn't exist in space and time. That's what you're missing. There was no space or time before that. It didn't exist. The singularity is what created space and time.

J Diddy 03-19-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10501724)
I agree almost everything is a miracle, except ticks, **** them. It's a natural miracle, but miraculous none the less.

I'd fit spiders, mosquitos, wasps, and chiggers in the category of annoying not miraculous.

Rausch 03-19-2014 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10501750)
That's not necessarily true. We've never witnessed matter created from nothing. But some science says it's certainly plausible. Quantum theory says it's possible. Quantum theory says that the Big Bang could have spontaneously emerged from a random quantum fluctuation in an simple quantum vacuum. Which satisfies quantum theory science. So you cannot say that science has no answer. At that point, you have to understand the relationship between quantum theory and relative theory.

I like the idea of a "white hole."

Fish 03-19-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10501774)

Racist.

J Diddy 03-19-2014 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10501783)
Racist.

KKQuantum Physics

WhiteWhale 03-19-2014 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10501774)

I prefer pink ones. :p

J Diddy 03-19-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10501788)
I prefer pink ones. :p

From what I've heard they are all pink on the inside.

Fish 03-19-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10501792)
From what I've heard they are all pink on the inside.

Supposedly it's all pink past the event horizon....

Dayze 03-19-2014 09:50 AM

the Black hole must have been bleached.

crazycoffey 03-19-2014 09:52 AM

I never lost faith, CP turned it to pussy talk, it was just a matter of time

ActiveShooter 03-19-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10501710)
What missing links do you feel are required to prove evolution?

Between Homoerectus and Homosapien, there's many micro evolutionary steps that have been discovered. That proves the possibility of a link between erectus and sapiens. Doesn't disprove a "clean sheet" design ie creationism, but what we have in front of us is what we have. The missing link is the "ape" that macro evolved into Homoerectus while all other primates stayed primitive.
Darwin didn't have knowledge of DNA and that's where it's getting exciting. Early DNA discoveries made darwinists jump to conclusions to fit their belief, their faith. Pigs, and Apes share a lot of DNA markers, so therefore they are relatives they espoused. Here again, jumping to a conclusion to fit an agenda or belief is another handicap of man. Recent DNA discovery unlocking more about DNA and is revealing that we're no more related by DNA than saying that our bodies are 90% water so we must be related.
I'm fine with either evolution or creation, because it doesn't disprove God, Christ, or the demon that I unfortunately know. Whether it's creation through a mythical poof or through a mythical macro evolution, doesn't matter to me.

J Diddy 03-19-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey (Post 10501805)
I never lost faith, CP turned it to pussy talk, it was just a matter of time

The Denver penis pic needed somewhere to go.

J Diddy 03-19-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActiveShooter (Post 10501807)
Between Homoerectus and Homosapien, there's many micro evolutionary steps that have been discovered. That proves the possibility of a link between erectus and sapiens. Doesn't disprove a "clean sheet" design ie creationism, but what we have in front of us is what we have. The missing link is the "ape" that macro evolved into Homoerectus while all other primates stayed primitive.
Darwin didn't have knowledge of DNA and that's where it's getting exciting. Early DNA discoveries made darwinists jump to conclusions to fit their belief, their faith. Pigs, and Apes share a lot of DNA markers, so therefore they are relatives they espoused. Here again, jumping to a conclusion to fit an agenda or belief is another handicap of man. Recent DNA discovery unlocking more about DNA and is revealing that we're no more related by DNA than saying that our bodies are 90% water so we must be related.
I'm fine with either evolution or creation, because it doesn't disprove God, Christ, or the demon that I unfortunately know. Whether it's creation through a mythical poof or through a mythical macro evolution, doesn't matter to me.

The problem with this is nobody seems to understand that nobody is saying we evolved from a monkey to homoerectus to homsapiens. All that it is saying is that we share a common ancestor.

ActiveShooter 03-19-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10501826)
The problem with this is nobody seems to understand that nobody is saying we evolved from a monkey to homoerectus to homsapiens. All that it is saying is that we share a common ancestor.

I'll just leave you with this. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/20/ty4yba5y.jpg

J Diddy 03-19-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActiveShooter (Post 10501844)

Beautiful picture that isn't accurate? Thanks for sharing.

mr. tegu 03-19-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActiveShooter (Post 10501807)

Humans are not descended from homo erectus just like we aren't descended from neanderthals.

Dave Lane 03-19-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActiveShooter (Post 10501844)

I'm not going to cut and paste a bunch of stuff from talkorigins.org because I'm certain you won't read it.

you can start here if you are really are curious. Its long and arduous to read all the articles, but if you really want to understand the origins of mankind you can't get it from a bumpersticker. Only a lot of reading.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/

ActiveShooter 03-19-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10501870)
Humans are not descended from homo erectus just like we aren't descended from neanderthals.

So are you going with the ape or the guppie? There were many Homos after erectus including Neanderthals that are closer to sapien. Between those Homos is signs of micro evolution. There's nothing found before erectus that could have micro evolved into erectus. The difference between Neanderthals and sapiens is enormous.

Dave Lane 03-19-2014 10:39 AM

If you just want a quick run down of humanoid fossils that link all the "missing links" together go here. Very very partial but includes most of the more notable finds.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/specimen.html

ActiveShooter 03-19-2014 10:41 AM

I
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10501882)
I'm not going to cut and paste a bunch of stuff from talkorigins.org because I'm certain you won't read it.

Here start here if you really are curious. Its long and arduous to read all the articles, but if you really want to understand the origins of mankind you can't get it from a bumpersticker. Only a lot of reading.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/

Your proven lack of credibility is what prevents me from clicking any link you provided. The picture just proved that someone believes that man came from ape. I however do not.
This link shows the link from erectus to sapien http://www.becominghuman.org/
Everyone has a link, I wait for facts to come in before jumping to conclusions.

WhiteWhale 03-19-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActiveShooter (Post 10501897)
Your proven lack of credibility is what prevents me from clicking any link you provided. The picture just proved that someone believes that man came from ape. I however do not.
I wait for facts to come in before jumping to conclusions.

Man didn't 'come from apes'.

They have a common ancestor.

Based on your posts you seem to think evolution is a linear process.

mr. tegu 03-19-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActiveShooter (Post 10501884)
So are you going with the ape or the guppie? There were many Homos after erectus including Neanderthals that are closer to sapien. Between those Homos is signs of micro evolution. There's nothing found before erectus that could have micro evolved into erectus. The difference between Neanderthals and sapiens is enormous.

This doesn't appear to make any sense. What problems do you have with whale evolution? Since you initially said macro evolution in general, I am left to presume you think there are missing links all over the place.

Tombstone RJ 03-19-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10501740)
Oh Jesus ****ing christ...

No... it...doesn't. If it did, the theory wouldn't exist or those laws would have to change. You don't understand the laws of thermodynamics.

:rolleyes:

Tombstone RJ 03-19-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10501759)
No. The "Tiny particle" didn't exist in space and time. That's what you're missing. There was no space or time before that. It didn't exist. The singularity is what created space and time.

I guess you missed where I said "Or, it didn't, right?"

ActiveShooter 03-19-2014 10:59 AM

I've opened Pandora's box of conclusion jumpers. Everyone jumps to conclusions about my conclusions when I've already said that I wait for facts. I will conclude once facts are in. Evolution to homsapiens is unproven at this time without macro evolution. People need to learn how to read.

WhiteWhale 03-19-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10501937)
:rolleyes:

Explain. You're clearly well versed in how the big bang theory violates the laws of thermodynamics.

ActiveShooter 03-19-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10501920)
Man didn't 'come from apes'.

They have a common ancestor.

Based on your posts you seem to think evolution is a linear process.

There's no link to a common ancestor since macro evolution hasn't ever been proven. So produce a link or prove macro. Until then I will not assume evolution.
Never said man came from Apes.

Dave Lane 03-19-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActiveShooter (Post 10501897)
I

This link shows the link from erectus to sapien http://www.becominghuman.org/
Everyone has a link, I wait for facts to come in before jumping to conclusions.

Whatever excuse you need to not understand and not know what you're talking about is alright with me. If I'm the excuse so be it.

Dave Lane 03-19-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10501946)
Explain. You're clearly well versed in how the big bang theory violates the laws of thermodynamics.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:LMAO

Crush 03-19-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 10501654)
Boy, this thread went from "Wow, cool...science!" to DC in no time.

Because the impotent Canaanite god can't defend himself from reality. Man has to do it for him.

Tombstone RJ 03-19-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10501750)
That's not necessarily true. We've never witnessed matter created from nothing. But some science says it's certainly plausible. Quantum theory says it's possible. Quantum theory says that the Big Bang could have spontaneously emerged from a random quantum fluctuation in an simple quantum vacuum. Which satisfies quantum theory science. So you cannot say that science has no answer. At that point, you have to understand the relationship between quantum theory and relative theory.

Again with randomality? This is the lynch pen for evolution too (random mutations) and if you do the math behind evolution and random mutations to get to humans and the here and now it's so fantastically remote mathematically that it's laughable to have a serious discussion about. All I'm saying is that this type of theoretical mumbo-jumbo is nothing more than another type of faith. You are using terms like "not necessarily true... plausible... random...." to say science is conclusive and I'm saying science is speculating more than proving anything. I'm not saying "don't work it out scientifically via gathering data" I'm saying don't by hypocritical when people are skeptical on the psuedo-science of some of these theories.

Tombstone RJ 03-19-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10501946)

the law of the conservation of energy and the big bang theory are at odds with each other.

Dave Lane 03-19-2014 11:10 AM

You should start each of your posts with I'm not very knowledgeable about science but...

Tombstone RJ 03-19-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10501960)
You should start each of your posts with I'm not very knowledgeable about science but...

when you've lost an argument you tend to start insulting people, congrats.

WhiteWhale 03-19-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10501959)
the law of the conservation of energy and the big bang theory are at odds with each other.

Okay, you've made a claim (that is wrong), now explain how this is true.

I didn't ask you to specify which law, I asked HOW it violates the law(s) as you claim it does.

Tombstone RJ 03-19-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10501979)
Okay, you've made a claim (that is wrong), now explain how this is true.

please help me out, how is this wrong?

WhiteWhale 03-19-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10501983)
please help me out, how is this wrong?

You are the one making an outrageous claim. The burden of proof is on you. You haven't even told me HOW you think they are at odds.

Why would I help you? I'm using socratic irony here. Your inability to explain exposes your ignorance.

Tombstone RJ 03-19-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10501993)
You are the one making an outrageous claim. The burden of proof is on you.

lol, whatever. The burden of proof is squarely on you to explain how the big bang theory does not violate the first law of thermodynamics.

Dave Lane 03-19-2014 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10501963)
when you've lost an argument you tend to start insulting people, congrats.

No when I'm bored and tired of banging my head on the wall of talking to low information science posters then I tend to insult the fact that they don't know anything.

WhiteWhale 03-19-2014 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10501998)
lol, whatever. The burden of proof is squarely on you to explain how the big bang theory does not violate the first law of thermodynamics.

Ummm... no, it is not.

You can't claim you are smarter than every astronomer on earth and then say the burden of proof is on me. You made the claim, so back it up. I can't tell you how you are wrong when you won't even specify what the hell you're claiming.

Dave Lane 03-19-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Because you haven't a single foggy clue what the hell you're talking about. You made the claim back it up buckwheat.

WhiteWhale 03-19-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10502007)
Because you haven't a single foggy clue what the hell you're talking about. You made the claim back it up buckwheat.

Socratic irony FTMFW

Tombstone RJ 03-19-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10502003)
Ummm... no, it is not.

You can't claim you are smarter than every astronomer on earth and then say the burden of proof is on me. You made the claim, so back it up. I can't tell you how you are wrong when you won't even specify what the hell you're claiming.

lol, you have no clue, do you?

Tombstone RJ 03-19-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10502007)

the conservation of energy is not hard to understand, but you think insulting people somehow absolves you of trying to reconcile how the big bang theory violates this law. You not only are stupid, you are lazy too.

Dave Lane 03-19-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10502028)
the conservation of energy is not hard to understand, but you think insulting people somehow absolves you of trying to reconcile how the big bang theory violates this law. You not only are stupid, you are lazy too.

Okay it looks like you're not here to actually discuss this or back up any of your claims so I think we can say this discussion is at an end. Have a good day

Tombstone RJ 03-19-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10502003)
Ummm... no, it is not.

no, I'm asking you to resolve a problem and you claim there is no problem.

Priest31kc 03-19-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qzEbpcUf7rE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go to 7:39:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gsA_Omv5hqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tombstone RJ 03-19-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10502031)
Okay it looks like you're not here to actually discuss this or back up any of your claims so I think we can say this discussion is at an end. Have a good day

:LOL:

Tombstone RJ 03-19-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priest31kc (Post 10502036)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qzEbpcUf7rE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go to 7:39:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gsA_Omv5hqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not gonna watch because I'm not claiming anything about God.

Priest31kc 03-19-2014 11:35 AM

It explains how the Big Bang Theory does not violate the First Law of Thermodynamics.

But okay.

Fish 03-19-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Because of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. Which has been tested and confirmed.

Quote:

But what made the universe and all its mass come into being at all? The suggestion is that the universe began as a quantum fluctuation of the vacuum. It used to be thought that the vacuum was truly nothing, simply inert space. But we now know that it is actually a hive of activity with particle-antiparticle pairs being repeatedly produced out of the vacuum and almost immediately annihilating themselves into nothingness again. The creation of a particle-antiparticle pair out of the vacuum violates the law of conservation of energy but the Heisenberg uncertainty principle allows such violations for a very short time. This phenomenon has observable and measurable consequences, which have been tested and confirmed. (The Inflationary Universe, Alan Guth, 1997, p. 272)

Guth says (p. 12-14, 271-276) that the person who first suggested that the universe and its associated space may have originated as a quantum fluctuation was Edward Tryon in 1973 in his paper Is the Universe a Vacuum Fluctuation? (Nature, vol. 246, p. 396-397, 14 December 1973.) As Tryon says in that paper:

In any big bang model, one must deal with the problem of 'creation'. This problem has two aspects. One is that the conservation laws of physics forbid the creation of something from nothing. The other is that even if the conservation laws were inapplicable at the moment of creation, there is no apparent reason for such an event to occur.

Contrary to widespread belief, such an event need not have violated any of the conventional laws of physics. The laws of physics merely imply that a Universe which appears from nowhere must have certain specific properties. In particular, such a Universe must have a zero net value for all conserved quantities.

To indicate how such a creation might have come about, I refer to quantum field theory, in which every phenomenon that could happen in principle actually does happen occasionally in practice, on a statistically random basis. For example, quantum electrodynamics reveals that an electron, positron and photon occasionally emerge spontaneously from a perfect vacuum. When this happens, the three particles exist for a brief time, and then annihilate each other, leaving no trace behind.

If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum, the vacuum of some larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time.
Note that our universe likely came into being with just a tiny amount of matter. But after that initial fluctuation triggered the start of the universe, what caused the avalanche that created the massive amount of matter that currently comprise our universe? The inflationary model of the universe takes care of that problem too, although the explanation is a little technical. As Stenger says (p. 148):

[I]n the inflationary scenario, the mass-energy of matter was produced during that rapid initial inflation. The field responsible for inflation has negative pressure, allowing the universe to do work on itself as it expands. This is allowed by the first law of thermodynamics.
In other words, no energy was required to "create" the universe. The zero total energy of the universe is an observational fact, within measured uncertainties, of course. What is more, this is also a prediction of inflationary cosmology, which we have seen has now been strongly supported by observations. Thus we can safely say,
No violation of energy conservation occurred if the universe grew out of an initial void of zero energy.

http://machineslikeus.com/news/big-b...rvation-energy

Tombstone RJ 03-19-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priest31kc (Post 10502045)
It explains how the Big Bang Theory does not violate the First Law of Thermodynamics.

But okay.

at what part exactly?

WhiteWhale 03-19-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priest31kc (Post 10502045)

But okay.

He can't verify his outrageous claim, therefore it has no merit.

All he can do is say "No, U!"

He should not enter that sauce into the county fair, because it is weak.

Dr. Van Halen 03-19-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10502028)

Heisenberg uncertainty principle allows these type of violations in short bursts.

I mention this not because I am an expert, but because I took your question, did a simple Google search, and found several answers that are supported by observable fact.

Priest31kc 03-19-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10502056)
at what part exactly?

Go to the 16:00 minute mark or so...

Tombstone RJ 03-19-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10502052)
Because of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. Which has been tested and confirmed.

Thank You! So the theory of zero energy is the key to this theory! At least that is something...

Tombstone RJ 03-19-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priest31kc (Post 10502068)
Go to the 16:00 minute mark or so...

ok I watched that part and a little more. I still struggle with the fact that it this theory is based on a random event. But the idea that negative energy and positive energy cancel themselves out leaving the theory of zero energy to enable the universe to start is something that needs further investigation.

Fish 03-19-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10502098)
ok I watched that part and a little more. I still struggle with the fact that it this theory is based on a random event. But the idea that negative energy and positive energy cancel themselves out leaving the theory of zero energy to enable the universe to start is something that needs further investigation.

Honestly, we probably can't really expand this any further until we have a grand theory that satisfies both relative theory and quantum theory at the same time. There are 4 natural forces(we know of) in the universe. Gravity, weak force, strong force, and electromagnetism. Our physics explains how these 4 forces work in the universe.

Relative theory explains very well the motion of what we consider large bodies focusing on the force of gravity. But when you try to apply the theory of relativity(gravity) to very small scenarios, some things happen that relativity cannot explain. To simplify, gravity acts weird at really really small scales, and relativity breaks down. Inversely, quantum theory does very well at explaining things that happen on a very small scale, by looking at the natural forces other than gravity. Electromagnetic, weak, and strong forces in nature. These forces have great effect at very small scales where gravity is essentially insignificant. But these 3 forces are so weak at large scales that the physics again breaks down. Quantum mechanics in turn cannot explain some things that happen on very large scales, mostly because gravity is the dominant force there.

Which is also why quantum mechanics could actually serve as a better model than relativity for explaining the Big Bang because it's describing the universe as a tiny singularity where quantum physics works better. Gravity doesn't have much if any affect in a singularity, which is why the Big Bang theory doesn't necessarily violate relativity.

That said.... we need a new model that explains all 4 natural forces simultaneously.

When we finally discover the "Theory of everything" that can explain physics correctly at all scales of reference, we'll have another explosion of knowledge and information even bigger than when we proved the relativity and quantum theories. And it will happen eventually. Hopefully in our lifetime. It may very well be that we need to include another force(s) other than the 4 that we know. Perhaps it will require new physics to include what we now know as dark energy/matter/weakly interacting massive particles. That's my guess.

Dave Lane 03-19-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10502202)
Honestly, we probably can't really expand this any further until we have a grand theory that satisfies both relative theory and quantum theory at the same time. There are 4 natural forces(we know of) in the universe. Gravity, weak force, strong force, and electromagnetism. Our physics explains how these 4 forces work in the universe.

Relative theory explains very well the motion of what we consider large bodies focusing on the force of gravity. But when you try to apply the theory of relativity(gravity) to very small scenarios, some things happen that relativity cannot explain. To simplify, gravity acts weird at really really small scales, and relativity breaks down. Inversely, quantum theory does very well at explaining things that happen on a very small scale, by looking at the natural forces other than gravity. Electromagnetic, weak, and strong forces in nature. These forces have great effect at very small scales where gravity is essentially insignificant. But these 3 forces are so weak at large scales that the physics again breaks down. Quantum mechanics in turn cannot explain some things that happen on very large scales, mostly because gravity is the dominant force there.

Which is also why quantum mechanics could actually serve as a better model than relativity for explaining the Big Bang because it's describing the universe as a tiny singularity where quantum physics works better. Gravity doesn't have much if any affect in a singularity, which is why the Big Bang theory doesn't necessarily violate relativity.

That said.... we need a new model that explains all 4 natural forces simultaneously.

When we finally discover the "Theory of everything" that can explain physics correctly at all scales of reference, we'll have another explosion of knowledge and information even bigger than when we proved the relativity and quantum theories. And it will happen eventually. Hopefully in our lifetime. It may very well be that we need to include another force(s) other than the 4 that we know. Perhaps it will require new physics to include what we now know as dark energy/matter/weakly interacting massive particles. That's my guess.

Thanks fish for a great post. It's entirely too much typing for me however I agree and I do think that dark energy or matter is going to play a role with tying the theories of the small and the large together.

BigRedChief 03-19-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10502539)
Thanks fish for a great post. It's entirely too much typing for me however I agree and I do think that dark energy or matter is going to play a role with tying the theories of the small and the large together.

We don't even know what Dark matter is made out of? How it acts? It's like what 85% of the universe, correct? Basically its a way we are giving mass to something that has no mass?

When we figure out what dark matter and energy is or how it interacts with the universe.....it would seem we are ready to make a big leap in science and change not just our understanding of the universe but our current life's.

Fish 03-19-2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10503004)
We don't even know what Dark matter is made out of? How it acts? It's like what 85% of the universe, correct? Basically its a way we are giving mass to something that has no mass?

When we figure out what dark matter and energy is or how it interacts with the universe.....it would seem we are ready to make a big leap in science and change not just our understanding of the universe but our current life's.

No, actually dark matter clearly has mass. Lots of mass. Detectable mass, which is where the 85% figure comes from. It just doesn't exhibit any electromagnetic attributes. Which is why we can't "See" it and detect it like normal matter. It doesn't emit or absorb light at all. It seems that the only thing detectable that it does have is mass(and maybe weak force).

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-19-2014 09:08 PM

Define irony:

Someone with no background in science who feels they are qualified to discredit the theses of brilliant individuals who have spent a lifetime contributing to a compendium of knowledge.

hometeam 03-19-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10503188)
Define irony:

Someone with no background in science who feels they are qualified to discredit the theses of brilliant individuals who have spent a lifetime collaborating to a compendium of knowledge.

Right.

That is my main argument to people who just.cant.get.it. People can accept EVERYTHING that comes from science, computers, satellites, medicine, OUR ENTIRE WORLD, and we KNOW it works. You know, because THAT IS HOW WE WHERE ABLE TO CREATE THESE THINGS! And then people dedicate their entire lives to knowing about how things TRULY work, collaborating all around the world, in the past and going into the future. And when they talk about anything that is at odds with stone aged myths, all the sudden, the 'science isnt in' or any other number of excuses, we have heard them all. Are you kidding me?

The other day, in a single conversation. I had an otherwise intelligent person tell me;

1. 'they found noahs ark, they found it!'
2. Carbon dating has been disproven
3. Humans have only been around for 2000 years
4. The bible was written in the 1800s, after science had taken hold, so science has proven the bible true.

This is why people who understand science, and how it really works, get so exasperated all the time.

Come on.

track 03-19-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10503040)
No, actually dark matter clearly has mass. Lots of mass. Detectable mass, which is where the 85% figure comes from. It just doesn't exhibit any electromagnetic attributes. Which is why we can't "See" it and detect it like normal matter. It doesn't emit or absorb light at all. It seems that the only thing detectable that it does have is mass(and maybe weak force).

Actually it's more like 25 % for dark matter, 65% for dark energy and the rest is ordinary matter....or close to those percentages

WhiteWhale 03-19-2014 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10503242)
Right.

That is my main argument to people who just.cant.get.it. People can accept EVERYTHING that comes from science, computers, satellites, medicine, OUR ENTIRE WORLD, and we KNOW it works. You know, because THAT IS HOW WE WHERE ABLE TO CREATE THESE THINGS! And then people dedicate their entire lives to knowing about how things TRULY work, collaborating all around the world, in the past and going into the future. And when they talk about anything that is at odds with stone aged myths, all the sudden, the 'science isnt in' or any other number of excuses, we have heard them all. Are you kidding me?

The other day, in a single conversation. I had an otherwise intelligent person tell me;

4. The bible was written in the 1800s, after science had taken hold, so science has proven the bible true.

This is why people who understand science, and how it really works, get so exasperated all the time.

Come on.

Yeah, I had a guy once tell me that our history had been artificially compressed and that 'known history' all took place within the past 600 years.

People say weird stuff.

ActiveShooter 03-20-2014 08:10 AM

E
Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10503242)
Right.

Come on.

1. Unknown. Ridges of a Ark shaped boat was spotted in Turkish mountains. Unproven
2. Haven't heard that claim. So far, it seems fairly accurate.
3. That's dumb
4. Never heard that one. Person should be committed.

Closed minded people are frustrating for people who have actually experienced supernatural events whether demonic in my case or angelic in other's cases. I could care less personally if Dave Lane (who can't even read and comprehend a post) ,has a good spiritual experience upon death. I'm not here to convert anyone. I just pointed out that parts of science like parts of the Bible have been corrupted by man.
Religions have been used and corrupted by political forces for sure.
If you don't think that some scientific theories have been bent or influenced by political or atheist agendas, you are naive. Sadly NASA is being totally Co-opted for political purposes right now.
Personally, I am fascinated by the Cosmos and I'm amazed when people aren't. I've seen science change its collective minds so many times and realize that they build theory upon theory and if a previous theory was just slightly off, it changes everything. Science is about repeatability. Where it fails is explaining the non repeatable or the non constant like the speed of light in a vacuum.http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...ly-study-finds You know nothing about science if you don't know this.
Zamma Wamma