ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The one thing we can look forward to: the league's best OL. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272750)

Saccopoo 05-04-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9657086)
With a competent qb behind them, I'm really looking for good things up front. Albert and fisher should lock down the edges.

I like asamoah a lot . Hudson needs to progress though

What do you mean Hudson needs to progress? Based on what?

He ****ing broke his leg in the third game of the 2012 season. His first season as a starter.

You are saying you didn't like what he did in the first two games? That he didn't show enough to make you feel that he needed to improve on some aspects of his game? That he needed to progress?

Setsuna 05-05-2013 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9657852)
Because of something he hasn't done in the future. Good work.

For something he'll never do. Keep up and turn your rep on. Bet it looks like my blood when it hits oxygen.

Rausch 05-05-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9658283)

He ****ing broke his leg in the third game of the 2012 season. His first season as a starter.

You are saying you didn't like what he did in the first two games? That he didn't show enough to make you feel that he needed to improve on some aspects of his game? That he needed to progress?

This. The guy was an outstanding G and made to play C in the NFL.

Saccopoo 05-05-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9658495)
This. The guy was an outstanding G and made to play C in the NFL.

I thought he was hands down the best offensive lineman in the draft in 2011. He was one of the best guards to have ever played the game in college and reminded me a lot of Will Shields when he was drafted. This talk of "generational guys" like DeCastro and Warmack was bullshit. Neither of those guys were as good as Hudson at the same stage.

And I don't understand why people keep thinking he's still nursing/affected by his leg injury. It was a relatively clean break that didn't require surgery. He simply was going to require to be in a cast and a boot for a long enough period that they decided to put him on the IR. It's not like he blew out every ligament in his knee or something.

If anyone needs to be worried about someone on the line, they should be worried about our first pick in the draft who has as many question marks for an overall #1 pick as you possibly could have.

I mean, Fisher is coming out of a FBS school who hasn't matched up consistently with top level guys. He's going to have a pretty steep learning curve and there is the chance that he won't get it. And I'm not so sure about Dorsey/Reid's thought process that he can play any position on the line. He's pretty long and I'd be worried about him being effective playing inside the phone booth if he struggles at edge protection.

People think just because this guy went #1 overall that he's going to be an All-Pro, but it was a really risky pick just based on measurables (which were good, but not better than what we already had in Don Stephenson) and a good Senior Bowl performance. (And Senior Bowl performances should be taken with a large measure of salt lest you end up with another Ryan Sims.)

Direckshun 05-05-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9658510)
I mean, Fisher is coming out of a FBS school who hasn't matched up consistently with top level guys. He's going to have a pretty steep learning curve and there is the chance that he won't get it. And I'm not so sure about Dorsey/Reid's thought process that he can play any position on the line. He's pretty long and I'd be worried about him being effective playing inside the phone booth if he struggles at edge protection.

People think just because this guy went #1 overall that he's going to be an All-Pro, but it was a really risky pick just based on measurables (which were good, but not better than what we already had in Don Stephenson) and a good Senior Bowl performance.

Honestly, this is all just bias against smaller programs.

Eric Fisher is very, very polished. If you watched him at the Senior Bowl he has almost perfect mechanics.

His learning curve will be approximately the same, if not less so, than everybody else in the draft (save Joeckel, who's 100% readymade).

To say shit like Donald Stephenson's measurables are comparable isn't entirely incorrect -- but Stephenson has had to gain a ton of strength. Fisher won't.

Central Michigan has churned out Joe Staley, an All Pro caliber left tackle. Fisher is bigger and stronger, just as athletic, with just as great mechanics.

Direckshun 05-05-2013 09:24 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NpjCaXaPm1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I posted this in another thread.

Fisher's featured: 2:15, 7:10, 9:33, 13:00, 15:45, 19:45, 38:05.

O.city 05-05-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9658283)
What do you mean Hudson needs to progress? Based on what?

Progress from his injury and playing center

Dave Lane 05-05-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9655811)
Hopefully Fisher will start to put an end to that shit.

The addition of Fisher is pretty much meaningless over Allen. I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

But we will beat the Raiders twice this year even if Fisher is dead and buried.

Dave Lane 05-05-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9658677)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NpjCaXaPm1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I posted this in another thread.

Fisher's featured: 2:15, 7:10, 9:33, 13:00, 15:45, 19:45, 38:05.

Okafor ate Fisher up. The other guys he matched up with he handled well.

Setsuna 05-05-2013 03:21 PM

Von Miller is going to run circles around Fisher. I like how Fisher matches up boy to boy, but when he gets to his first game it'll be boy to man. He's going to get owned.

BlackHelicopters 05-05-2013 03:23 PM

Did you make the playoffs? No, but our O Line was good.

RealSNR 05-05-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9659771)
Von Miller is going to run circles around Fisher. I like how Fisher matches up boy to boy, but when he gets to his first game it'll be boy to man. He's going to get owned.

I'm just glad it will be him getting the reach-around instead of Joeckel

BlackHelicopters 05-05-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9659802)
I'm just glad it will be him getting the reach-around instead of Joeckel

Never downplay a reach around.

philfree 05-05-2013 04:03 PM

Hopefully Fisher will be ready after going up against Hali and Houston in training camp. It's not like he's going to walk into his pro career without preparing. By the time we play the donks Fisher will have several starts under his belt too. Wasn't Miller going to rape Albert last year too. Did he? Screw Von Miller and the donks.

Direckshun 05-05-2013 05:03 PM

http://www.chiefs360.com/files/2013/01/albert.jpg

http://www.panthers.com/assets/clubi...uts_inside.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PLMVnEp08G...ney+Hudson.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rTzIVwXwZcs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/pictu...pictureid=1356

Direckshun 05-05-2013 05:05 PM

I know I'm not supposed to be splooging, but this shit is in my blood.

You want to win the line of scrimmage? We're going to ****ing win the line of scrimmage.

Direckshun 05-05-2013 05:08 PM

Where the hell do you want to run? Behind Albert? Between Albert and Schwartz?

How about off the right side? You only have Asamoah and Eric ****ing Fisher plowing holes.

How about up between Hudson and Asamoah up the gut?

How about we pull Asamoah to the left side and have him and Albert rape linebackers at the second level?

You can't lose.

Direckshun 05-05-2013 05:17 PM

They're like a 1600 lbs. boy band. But they're a Man Band.

There's Albert. The heartthrob. He's the unofficial face of the band, and was there to draw the squee of millions of adoring fangirls.

There's Geoff Schwartz, the older brother. A cool, reassuring figure that the girls can relate to.

There's Rodney Hudson, the shy one. He's nerdier than the rest of the band. He's cast because some girls go for that.

There's Jon Asamoah, the bad boy. He's the one with a rougher edge to him, wearing the black shirt and jeans in those videos where they're not all wearing matching clothes.

Then there's Eric Fisher. He's less sexually threatening than Albert, the kind of gentleman you can take home to mama.

Direckshun 05-05-2013 05:20 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4Tqj4kaIA44" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties 05-05-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9660193)
They're like a 1600 lbs. boy band. But they're a Man Band.

There's Albert. The heartthrob. He's the unofficial face of the band, and was there to draw the squee of millions of adoring fangirls.

There's Geoff Schwartz, the older brother. A cool, reassuring figure that the girls can relate to.

There's Rodney Hudson, the shy one. He's nerdier than the rest of the band. He's cast because some girls go for that.

There's Jon Asamoah, the bad boy. He's the one with a rougher edge to him, wearing the black shirt and jeans in those videos where they're not all wearing matching clothes.

Then there's Eric Fisher. He's less sexually threatening than Albert, the kind of gentleman you can take home to mama.

http://i.imgur.com/CBXvb2g.jpg

Direckshun 05-05-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9660203)

GOOD.

IT SHOULD BE.

You should NOT be confronted with an OL that is potentially this good and NOT HAVE A MIXTURE OF CONFUSING EMOTIONS ABOUT IT.

Hammock Parties 05-05-2013 05:26 PM

The more offensive lines I meet...

Saccopoo 05-05-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9660173)
Where the hell do you want to run? Behind Albert? Between Albert and Schwartz?

How about off the right side? You only have Asamoah and Eric ****ing Fisher plowing holes.

How about up between Hudson and Asamoah up the gut?

How about we pull Asamoah to the left side and have him and Albert rape linebackers at the second level?

You can't lose.

Eric Fisher isn't beating out Don Stephenson.

Saccopoo 05-05-2013 05:35 PM

If you think Fisher can start, your Chiefs offensive line is going to look like this:

LT: Fisher
LG: Albert
C: Hudson
RG: Schwartz
RT: Stephenson

Asamoah is just a guy and the only way Fisher starts on this line is if they move Albert over to LG, and if they do that, he might hold out unless they give him massive guard money. (And I'm not too concerned about Albert at LG, where I think he could be an All-Pro level guy. He's still got issues/techniques that he's missing to be a true elite level left tackle and I don't think he'll ever get them at this point. Watching both Stephenson and Fisher, it's apparent that both have better feet and an initial punch than Albert. Albert still hasn't developed a kick step worth a shit.)

penbrook 05-05-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9660241)
If you think Fisher can start, your Chiefs offensive line is going to look like this:

LT: Fisher
LG: Albert
C: Hudson
RG: Schwartz
RT: Stephenson

Asamoah is just a guy and the only way Fisher starts on this line is if they move Albert over to LG, and if they do that, he might hold out unless they give him massive guard money. (And I'm not too concerned about Albert at LG, where I think he could be an All-Pro level guy. He's still got issues/techniques that he's missing to be a true elite level left tackle and I don't think he'll ever get them at this point. Watching both Stephenson and Fisher, it's apparent that both have better feet and an initial punch than Albert. Albert still hasn't developed a kick step worth a shit.)

Albert will be LT and Fisher will be RT. Count on that.

Hammock Parties 05-05-2013 06:12 PM

LMFAO at drafting an OT 1.1 and then starting Stephenson.

Reid and Dorsey did some dumb stuff this offseason but they aren't THAT dumb.

BossChief 05-05-2013 06:18 PM

Stephenson should be the swing tackle.

O.city 05-05-2013 07:09 PM

If Fisher can't/doesn't beat out Stephenson at RT or LT, whichever, we made a terribly wrong decision at 1 this year.

O.city 05-05-2013 07:31 PM

Dunno if anyone seen this, but its a pretty good read. Don't necessarily agree with it, but read away.

Mistakes at top of NFL draft
The evolution of offenses makes three of the top four picks questionable
Originally Published: April 30, 2013
By Andy Benoit | Football Outsiders
EMAIL
PRINT

ESPN Images
Eric Fisher is a great player, but the value of his position may be declining.
By all accounts, Eric Fisher is going to be a fine NFL player. Maybe even a great one. Scouts agree that he's a sound, steady, athletic technician with upside -- perhaps an even better prospect than offensive tackles Jake Long and Joe Thomas were coming out of college. The problem is Fisher plays a position that, in terms of importance, is in serious decline. But few seem to notice.

After Michael Lewis published "The Blind Side" in 2006, NFL analysts and fans started describing left tackle as the game's second-most important position, behind quarterback. Their reasoning was that the left tackle is the one most responsible for the quarterback's safety. It became chic to trumpet the 300-pounders as unheralded stars. It even became chic to pay them like heralded stars. This seems logical, but it fails to see the big picture of today's NFL. And once you consider this ongoing offensive evolution, it seems rather silly to take an offensive tackle at the top of Round 1.

In pro football's recent and ongoing evolution, increasingly fewer offensive concepts are heavily dependent on a left tackle being able to win on an island against a quality defensive opponent.

A lot of passing attacks these days operate primarily out of spread sets with three- and five-step drop-back timing. The objective is getting the ball out quickly to skill players in space. This naturally quells a pass rush, as it is physically impossible for an edge rusher to reach a quarterback on three-step timing and very difficult for him to get there against five-step timing. Besides, when pass-rushers do get there, good quarterbacks have learned how to compensate with pocket mobility, progression-read poise and pre-snap diagnostic skills. Many also have the athleticism to extend plays on the perimeter.

What's more, much of today's game is predicated on disguise and deception. When the offense does take a deep shot (which requires a seven-step drop), it's usually out of a running formation and involves some sort of play-action. (The key to most deep-shot designs is baiting the safety into stepping forward.) These deceptive tactics often have a tight end blocking on the edge and/or a running back staying in to protect. Which means the left tackle is usually getting help.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Elise Amendola
Receivers who can uncover quickly are more help to a QB than an LT.
The run game is changing, too. Yes, there will always be situations in football where an offense has to move the chains by ramming the ball through the A, B and C gaps. But more and more run games today are predicated on agility and deception. This is seen most starkly in the rise of toss sweeps and delay handoffs out of three- and four-receiver sets (including shotgun). And it's especially seen in the increasingly popular read-option (where the left tackle can essentially be something of a decoy, as the offense's objective is to force an unblocked edge defender into making an either/or decision on the ball). Gone are the days when left tackles have to constantly pile-drive opponents off the ball.

All of these trends point to less being demanded of left tackles. Where teams once needed a great player at the position, a lot of them now just need a player who doesn't stink.

Of course, the consequences of having a left tackle who does stink can be dire -- especially given that offense is not the only side of the ball that is evolving. Defenses today present remarkably sophisticated sub-package disguises and pass-rush designs, plus they're loaded with insanely gifted athletes, particularly on the front edges. One could maybe even argue that an elite left tackle is now vital for any offense that does not have an upper-tier quarterback. Because if the quarterback can't adjust to the defense, the offense's only prayer is with a potent front line.

But a legitimate rebuttal is that an elite left tackle is still not enough anyway. Based on the play calling we're seeing these days, most offensive coaches seem to agree. The evolution of defense has been so profound that offenses, no matter who they have up front, don't feel comfortable relying heavily on any single pass-blocker. Teams are using a lot more schematic wrinkles and group efforts to protect their quarterback. Tactics like chip-blocks, tight formations, rolled pockets and slide protections are now standard. A left tackle has little or nothing to do with combating complex defensive tactics; it's all about the quarterback's ability to make pre- and post-snap adjustments.

As with quicker, more spread-out pass plays and space-oriented running, an uptick in group-oriented blocking concepts points to less being demanded of a left tackle. Consequently, the difference between a Eric Fisher and, say, a Menelik Watson, is naturally mitigated. "Fisher with help" might dominate his opponent on a given play, while "Watson with help" might only neutralize his opponent. But what does it matter? Both produce the same result: a protected quarterback. Sure, Fisher's superiority over Watson might still shine in certain run-blocking situations. But in today's pass-happy NFL, that's not hugely valuable (as the declining market for running backs attests to).

[+] Enlarge
Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Bryant McKinnie wasn't a huge factor in Joe Flacco's success.
The effects of these evolutionary changes can be seen in the makeup of the past five years' Super Bowl rosters. One of the many leaguewide trends these rosters reflect is that quarterbacks are everything while left tackles are, well, just pieces. Look at the starting quarterbacks from the past five Super Bowls: Joe Flacco, Colin Kaepernick, Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Kurt Warner.

These guys need no explanation. All are top-shelf superstars except Flacco and Kaepernick (and they both have distinct superstar traits, including maybe the most important of all: an ability to make strong-armed throws in tight windows).

Now look at the collective mediocrity of the left tackles who protected these superstars:

Bryant McKinnie, 2012, Ravens: Veteran castoff who began the season as a backup; he entered the starting lineup because of a domino effect from injuries at right tackle and guard.

Joe Staley, 2012, 49ers: An outlier, as he's the only guy on this list to make the Pro Bowl in his team's Super Bowl season.

David Diehl, 2011, Giants: A respectable veteran right tackle who moved to the left side after Will Beatty's injury.

Matt Light, 2011, Patriots: A very solid veteran but one who was beginning to wear down; Super Bowl XLII wound up being his final game.

Chad Clifton, 2010, Packers: Another solid veteran who was wearing down. Played just six games in 2011 before being out of the league.

Trai Essex, 2010, Steelers: A backup who started just three games the following season; was essentially out of the league by the end of 2012.

Jermon Bushrod, 2009, Saints: Many insiders described him as the league's worst left tackle in 2009. He would eventually develop into an adequate starter, but not until the second part of 2011. The Saints were not devastated when he signed with the Bears this past March.

Charlie Johnson, 2009, Colts: A utility player who became a guard in Minnesota.

Max Starks, 2008, Steelers: A fairly decent starter but one who could be prone to mistakes and bad weight gain.

Mike Gandy, 2008, Cardinals: Went on IR in the middle of 2009 with a pelvic/groin injury; was released after the season (at age 30) and never played again.

Obviously there are a lot of factors besides elite quarterback play that propel a team to the Super Bowl. But elite left tackle play does not appear to be one of them.

On a similar note, let's look at the teams that have had elite left tackles. Below is a list of the AP first-team All-Pros from each of the past five years, along with their team's record from that season.

Tackle Year Team Record
Duane Brown 2012 Texans 12-4
Ryan Clady 2012 Broncos 13-3
Joe Thomas 2011 Browns 4-12
Jason Peters 2011 Eagles 8-8
Jake Long 2010 Dolphins 7-9
Joe Thomas 2010 Browns 5-11
Ryan Clady 2009 Broncos 8-8
Joe Thomas 2009 Browns 5-11
Jordan Gross 2008 Panthers 12-4
Michael Roos 2008 Titans 13-3
Over the past five years, the NFL's marquee left tackles have been Thomas, Long, Ryan Clady, Michael Roos, Jason Peters and Jordan Gross. How successful have the Browns, Dolphins, pre-Manning Broncos, Titans, Eagles and Panthers been in that span? Their collective record in games that these left tackles started is 210-232.

Maybe it is unfair to tie a team's wins and losses to a left tackle -- but that's the point. If there is little correlation between quality left tackle play and winning, why are left tackles still considered premium assets? By its very nature, the position is forever mundane, not dynamic. Its function is to allow for big offensive plays and prevent big defensive plays. Unlike quarterback, receiver, running back, defensive line and linebacker, the left tackle position cannot create big plays. You cannot craft your team's identity around a left tackle. So why take one at the very top of the first round?

Theoretically, what presents more opportunity to help your quarterback in today's quick-passing, space-oriented NFL? Drafting a left tackle high in the first round, or trading down and drafting, say, two receivers who can win off the line of scrimmage and make plays in space? Think of it this way: In an honest moment, who would Tom Brady admit he could least afford to lose, Nate Solder or Aaron Hernandez? It's not even a question; Solder is good, but Hernandez is critical to New England's identity.

Perhaps a more pertinent example is Andy Dalton and the Bengals. Being an average pocket passer with average raw tools, Dalton is exactly the type of quarterback who needs good protection. And he gets that, as eighth-year veteran Andrew Whitworth has blossomed into one of the league's better left tackles. And yet, no intelligent football observer would say Whitworth is more valuable to the Bengals than A.J. Green. If the Bengals were to lose Whitworth, their protection concepts would have to be reworked. If they were to lose Green, their entire offense would have to be reworked.

Not every team has a talent like Green. But when you're drafting near the very top of the first round, that's what you're trying to find. Superstars. Building blocks. Guys who define your team. You're not looking for really good cogs (which is what left tackles are becoming). Those are found in the bottom of the first round or in the later rounds, not with the No. 1 overall pick.

Saccopoo 05-05-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9660369)
LMFAO at drafting an OT 1.1 and then starting Stephenson.

Reid and Dorsey did some dumb stuff this offseason but they aren't THAT dumb.

What would be dumb is playing someone who isn't as good at their position as another player.

Fisher isn't beating out Stephenson. He's not as good. He could potentially beat out Asamoah at RG. Didn't Dorsey say that he liked Fisher because he could play any spot on the line? 1.1 pick on a guard boys. Better get used to that shit real quick.

Unless Reid/Dorsey pull a Pioli and play their first rounder simply because he was the first rounder.

O.city 05-05-2013 07:47 PM

Are you on pot?

Hammock Parties 05-05-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9660567)
Fisher isn't beating out Stephenson. He's not as good.

Stephenson sucked monster donkey dong last year.

penbrook 05-05-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9660567)
What would be dumb is playing someone who isn't as good at their position as another player.

Fisher isn't beating out Stephenson. He's not as good. He could potentially beat out Asamoah at RG. Didn't Dorsey say that he liked Fisher because he could play any spot on the line? 1.1 pick on a guard boys. Better get used to that shit real quick.

Unless Reid/Dorsey pull a ***** and play their first rounder simply because he was the first rounder.

Asamoah is one of the best players we have on the o line.

Starting O line will be:

LT - Albert
LG - Schwartz
C - Hudson
RG - Asamoah
RT - Fisher

Saccopoo 05-05-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9660496)
If Fisher can't/doesn't beat out Stephenson at RT or LT, whichever, we made a terribly wrong decision at 1 this year.

I would concur with that assessment.

However, as I've previously stated, I feel that Don Stephenson would have been in the mix as the first tackle off the board in the 2013 Draft if he had stayed in school for his senior season. He was markedly better than Lane Johnson on the same team and has elite level measurables for the position.

He's big, with long arms and incredibly athletic. He has light, quick feet and does an excellent job in getting out into the second level. The only things he needed to do was spend a little more time in the weight room to develop additional upper body strength - which has happened this past season and some reps with the first team, which also happened.

I think Fisher has an easier time in beating out Albert for the LT spot than he does beating out Stephenson for the RT spot.

tk13 05-05-2013 07:55 PM

This is the same guy that led the Geno cult, wanted Okung, Curry, and thinks Albert is not an NFL LT. Of course he's going to think the #1 pick of the draft won't beat out Stephenson.

Saccopoo 05-05-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9660571)
Are you on pot?

You have to say "Are you on THE pot?" to have that be effective.

However, to answer your question, no.

Quote:

Stephenson sucked monster donkey dong last year.
No more so than any other rookie who hasn't taken any first team reps whose been thrown into a game situation because of injury. Personally, I thought he showed quite well all things considered and displayed very good footwork. Most of his problems were decision making ones and that's understandable for that particular situation.

Don't get blinded by the fact that Stephenson was a third rounder and Fisher was a first. Stephenson has better previous experience, better measurables and a year in the league. Fisher would have to be a ****ing prodigy to beat out Stephenson.

penbrook 05-05-2013 08:02 PM

I do think Stephenson is a good tackle. Enough to beat out Albert **** no.

Enough to beat out Fisher probably not.

Its a good problem because for one we have good depth.

O.city 05-05-2013 08:03 PM

Has Stephenson ever played RT?

penbrook 05-05-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9660598)
Has Stephenson ever played RT?

Here and there but he is a good tackle who can play both positions.

RealSNR 05-05-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9660592)
You have to say "Are you on THE pot?" to have that be effective.

However, to answer your question, no.

No more so than any other rookie who hasn't taken any first team reps whose been thrown into a game situation because of injury. Personally, I thought he showed quite well all things considered and displayed very good footwork. Most of his problems were decision making ones and that's understandable for that particular situation.

Don't get blinded by the fact that Stephenson was a third rounder and Fisher was a first. Stephenson has better previous experience, better measurables and a year in the league. Fisher would have to be a ****ing prodigy to beat out Stephenson.

Stephenson's not going to start. I don't care what Andy Reid says about putting the best offensive line on the field. Albert's the LT and Fisher was the #1 overall pick. Even if Stephenson is the best lineman on the team, I doubt Andy Reid plugs him in.

Hootie 05-05-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9660585)
This is the same guy that led the Geno cult, wanted Okung, Curry, and thinks Albert is not an NFL LT. Of course he's going to think the #1 pick of the draft won't beat out Stephenson.

Yeah, that's the biggest "wtf" CP side story nobody talks about...

for years and years and years the guy wanted to take the best tackle available with our 1st pick

80% of his posts are probably pertaining to why we should take a LT

...and then the year we actually take a tackle

he hates it

...what?

Hootie 05-05-2013 08:15 PM

and if Stephenson is SO good...

fine, put him at RT

and then put Albert at LG

we'd have an all pro caliber LG, LT and, according to our offensive line guru, a very talented RT.

and a ton of depth

looks like we have one part of our team all set

Hammock Parties 05-05-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9660592)

The dude was on pace to allow 15 sacks had he played an entire year.

You were wrong about Albert, and you're wrong about Stephenson. It's possible he might improve but right now you're just talking out your ass again. Stephenson has no place starting this season.

Saccopoo 05-05-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9660585)

Damn right I wanted Geno. Especially considering what we have and what we ended up with. You'd have to be freaking reeruned to have not wanted Geno all things considered.

Okung is one of the best left tackles in the NFL. He absolutely destroyed people this past season and was the starting LT in the Pro Bowl for the NFC. If we picked Okung, it would have been early enough in Alberts career that moving him over to LG wouldn't have been such an issue and we would have been past the stage of picking a major question mark/potential RT backup like Fisher with the #1 overall pick in the draft.

Curry...eh. The guy had everything you could possibly want in a future All-Pro linebacker...physically. I don't know what got into that guys head, but it wasn't conducive to football.

And you're a moron if you are basing your assumption of a players performance on his draft status alone. Stephenson was a better tackle than Lane Johnson on the same team. Stephenson goes in the third round and Johnson was a top ten pick. Joeckel wasn't as good as Matthews on the same college team and I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that Matthews won't go #2 in the draft.

Hootie 05-05-2013 08:22 PM

Pioli invested a lot of picks in to this line...and the fact we added a #1 pick to the mix, a crafty vet, and a TE who is known for his blocking...

there is absolutely no reason for this line not to be THE strength of this team.

Alex Smith is walking on to a roster that, offensively, is built a lot like his 49ers team. I don't expect Aaron Rodgers numbers from Smith but I expect him to be, at the very least, as efficient as he was last year while he was starting.

If that's what we get out of Alex Smith...I'm ok with it. Who knows? Maybe his recent success helped him develop a little confidence and swagger and we may end up with another Trent Green.

RunKC 05-05-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9660633)
Damn right I wanted Geno. Especially considering what we have and what we ended up with. You'd have to be freaking reeruned to have not wanted Geno all things considered.

Dumbest thing I've ever read here after what we've learned about the kid, especially the last few weeks.

Hootie 05-05-2013 08:23 PM

well when every team that needs a QB passes on a guy two times...

I'm sorry

he wasn't an elite prospect

you don't draft a so/so prospect with tons of question marks #1 overall

which is why he went #39

Saccopoo 05-05-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9660607)
Stephenson's not going to start. I don't care what Andy Reid says about putting the best offensive line on the field. Albert's the LT and Fisher was the #1 overall pick. Even if Stephenson is the best lineman on the team, I doubt Andy Reid plugs him in.

Unless they put Fisher in at guard.

Which I wouldn't rule out as Dorsey has already stated that he felt Fisher was a good pick because he could play numerous positions on the line.

Basically, it comes down to:

Is Fisher better than either Albert or Stephenson at tackle to start the season?

At that point, who is better at guard? Fisher, Albert, Asamoah or Schwartz?

Saccopoo 05-05-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 9660623)
and if Stephenson is SO good...

fine, put him at RT

and then put Albert at LG

we'd have an all pro caliber LG, LT and, according to our offensive line guru, a very talented RT.

and a ton of depth

looks like we have one part of our team all set

This.

You are a certifiable genius Hootie.

milkman 05-05-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9660629)

You were wrong about Albert, and you're wrong about Stephenson. It's possible he might improve but right now you're just talking out your ass again. Stephenson has no place starting this season.

He was wrong about Albert, but he is right about Stephenson.

He's probably the most talented tackle on the roster, and he should have stayed another year in school to develop his game.

He was just too raw last season, but he has tremendous potential.

RunKC 05-05-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9660648)
Unless they put Fisher in at guard.

This is never going to happen.

Hammock Parties 05-05-2013 08:30 PM

If Stephenson is as good as you guys think, drafting Fisher was even dumber.

jspchief 05-05-2013 08:31 PM

How would anyone reasonably expect this Oline to be better this year?

1. The only real vets are Albert and Asamoah, and Asamoah hasn't progressed as a player since his rookie year.

2. Their experience as a unit is almost non existent.

3. Rookie RT.

4. New coaches, QB, and offensive scheme.

This line looks like a recipe for disaster in '13 to me. Sure if they can keep it together, I can see it growing into a very good unit in years to come. But individual athleticism is rarely the catalyst for good Oline play.

milkman 05-05-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9660662)
If Stephenson is as good as you guys think, drafting Fisher was even dumber.

I'm pretty sure that both sac and I argued that drafting a LT at 1.1 was stupid for this reason, and I argued that Jeff Allen has outstanding RT potential as well.

Saccopoo 05-05-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9660629)

I'm pretty sure I'm not.

I know you've been loving the PFF stats stuff of late, but one has to keep in mind that the offensive coaches have had to minimize Cassel's drop backs in an effort to keep him upright which reduces the amount of sacks given up by the line.

Albert has turned into good. He still gets lost on the second level a lot, and doesn't have very good feet in dealing with keeping edge rushers in front of him. He's a top 15-ish guy at this point, and that's not taking into consideration three very subpar years prior to his "breakthrough" 2012 season.

And I've stated my case for Stephenson. He's a better alternative to starting at the right tackle spot than Fisher right here, right now. Will he? I don't know. Fisher could potentially receive the Dontari Poe treatment and get the starting nod because of his draft status alone. But there is nothing other than draft status saying that he's going to beat out Stephenson at this point. And that's a stupid thought process to use in trying to better your team from an objective standpoint.

O.city 05-05-2013 08:34 PM

I'm kind of thinking Fisher was the pick all along, but they expected to trade Albert. Then, that didn't go thru, so they picked Fisher anyway. Now they have 3 talented tackles, potentially 4, depending on what they want to do with Allen.

So, who knows what they think of Stephenson, but it seems they are going to put Fisher at RT, ALbert at LT this year and go from there.

Saccopoo 05-05-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9660643)
Dumbest thing I've ever read here after what we've learned about the kid, especially the last few weeks.

You obviously don't read any of your own material then.

O.city 05-05-2013 08:37 PM

We did hear from someone (don't remember if it was TBG or who) that they wanted to kick Albert in to G.

I'd assume if they did that, it would be

Fisher
Albert
Hudson
Asamoah
Stephenson/Allen

But, that leaves Schwartz out, being he's a free agent who they brought in I'd say he's going to play.

So, in all reality, I don't know what the **** I'm talking about at all.

RunKC 05-05-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9660673)
You obviously don't read any of your own material then.

The material that called this Geno fiasco 8 months ago?LMAO

Saccopoo 05-05-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9660668)
I'm pretty sure that both sac and I argued that drafting a LT at 1.1 was stupid for this reason, and I argued that Jeff Allen has outstanding RT potential as well.

Yep. Allen really has a nice skill set for the right tackle spot. The position really plays to his strengths as a player.

While Fisher might end up a very good pro, it was still a complete waste of a pick considering the young talent on the roster.

Basically, with the Fisher pick, we are going to waste our second and third round picks from last year or the 1.1 this year.

RunKC 05-05-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9660668)

I have no faith in Jeff Allen to start at any position this year after getting his ass kicked so many times last year.

chiefzilla1501 05-05-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9660700)
I have no faith in Jeff Allen to start at any position this year after getting his ass kicked so many times last year.

I wouldn't get on Jeff Allen just yet. There was a rumor that Pioli may have purposely undercut the roster so the Chiefs would have a reason to fire Haley. This could be an example of that. Pioli did such a shitty job of providing o-line depth that you were essentially forcing your depth guys to play 2 positions.

For a guy like Jeff Allen, I want him to grow into one position. Allen is a good guy to groom for your bench and could very well turn into quality bench depth.

Rasputin 05-05-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9660680)
We did hear from someone (don't remember if it was TBG or who) that they wanted to kick Albert in to G.

I'd assume if they did that, it would be

Fisher
Albert
Hudson
Asamoah
Stephenson/Allen

But, that leaves Schwartz out, being he's a free agent who they brought in I'd say he's going to play.

So, in all reality, I don't know what the **** I'm talking about at all.

Who ever it is, is full of shit, they are not moving Albert to guard at least not this year. Andy Reid may want to kick Albert to guard but they aren't going to rock the cradle this time of year. They will stick with Albert at LT to start the season.

They may end up trading him before the trade deadline who knows??

O.city 05-05-2013 09:00 PM

Allen was a college tackle moved to LG and had to start as a rookie there. He was shit, but I'm not sure we can rule him out either way.

O.city 05-05-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9660713)
Who ever it is, is full of shit, they are not moving Albert to guard at least not this year. Andy Reid may want to kick Albert to guard but they aren't going to rock the cradle this time of year. They will stick with Albert at LT to start the season.

If they pay him, they'll move him wherever they want.

milkman 05-05-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9660713)

You don't get it.

No one has argued more vehemently for Albert at LT than me.

No one called sac more names, or villified his opinions in the last couple of years.

But this team decided to utilize the #1 overall on a tackle.

What's done is done.

Now you do what you need to do to maximize the parts you have.

The best way to do that.
Move Albert to LG.

O.city 05-05-2013 09:13 PM

If Albert goes to LG, where does Schwartz go? Is he the B/U guard? Does he play RG and Asamoah sit?

BossChief 05-05-2013 09:18 PM

I totally agree, Milk.

Albert can be our Iupati. Many said Iupati could be a LT, too...but would be an all pro guard.

BossChief 05-05-2013 09:22 PM

This conversation is reason why this OL shouldn't need another high pick spent on it for a long time.

We should have a really nice starting lineup and 2-3 reserve players that are high quality. We should be able to sustain a couple injuries while still having high level line play.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-05-2013 09:22 PM

As to the long article; I'm SO glad the media decided to take this angle AFTER filling idiots heads full of shit for weeks leading up to the draft! A prime example of why Kiper and Mayock should be banging their boyfriends instead of "tables".
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city 05-05-2013 09:28 PM

Just curious that if they don't move Albert inside, if they would move Asamoah to LG and but Schwartz at RG.

Hootie 05-05-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9660650)
This.

You are a certifiable genius Hootie.

i think you're a damn fine poster with solid football takes

I just find it hilarious you have pined for a LT for years and years and then when we finally take one you are pissed because you wanted the guy who went 39th overall to the most dysfunctional organization in football

if Geno went 4th, or 7th, or 2nd or shit...even 10th I could see this

but he went 39th and every team that needed a QB passed on him twice

sorry

that's telling

BossChief 05-05-2013 09:43 PM

I wish I knew more about this Kush kid.

Albert (Stephenson)
Hudson (Allen)
Kush (Hudson)
Asamoah (Shwartz)
Fisher (Allen/Stephenson)

I remember hearing about Andy/Dorsey contacting Lilja about returning...

I bet they want A vet making the line calls and have thought about moving Hudson back to guard...which I would be a fan of.

Does this Kushan kid have a chance to start at one point?

Hootie 05-05-2013 09:44 PM

you expect a late round pick to be our starting center?

O.city 05-05-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9660811)
I wish I knew more about this Kush kid.

Albert (Stephenson)
Hudson (Allen)
Kush (Hudson)
Asamoah (Shwartz)
Fisher (Allen/Stephenson)

I remember hearing about Andy/Dorsey contacting Lilja about returning...

I bet they want A vet making the line calls and have thought about moving Hudson back to guard...which I would be a fan of.

I don't see that with Kush.

Hudson, IMO, is the C. I think he'll be a good one.

Like I said earlier, I wonder if they move Asamoah back to LG and put Schwartz at RG.

Either that or move Albert to LG and let Allen/Stephenson/Schwartz fight it out at RT.

Hootie 05-05-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9660815)
Either that or move Albert to LG and let Allen/Stephenson/Schwartz fight it out at RT.

Just do this.

Albert was supposed to be an all-pro guard anyways.

**** it.

BossChief 05-05-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 9660813)
you expect a late round pick to be our starting center?

Not this year.

Hootie 05-05-2013 09:48 PM

if he makes the team for a few years in a row I'll consider it a solid pick

O.city 05-05-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 9660817)
Just do this.

Albert was supposed to be an all-pro guard anyways.

**** it.

Fisher, Albert, Hudson, Scwartz/Asamoah, Stephenson/Allen would be fine with me.

But I don't know what they will do with Albert this year. If they plan on just keeping him for the tag year then moving him, I'm sure he'll be at LT and Fisher at RT.

Maybe they up him with a contract and just leave him at LT and Fisher at RT and forget about the T spot for 5 years. Who knows.

Hootie 05-05-2013 09:50 PM

just give him elite guard money and be done with it