ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official 2013-14 Missouri Tiger Football Repository Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271290)

Pepe Silvia 06-22-2013 07:08 PM

Hopefully he can take a hiatus from House of Lies and buy some recruits.

Dr. Gigglepants 07-03-2013 09:14 PM

http://www.mutigers.com/allaccess/?media=394119

Rock M hill renovation is pretty much done. Video in link

Mosbonian 07-14-2013 09:11 PM

Anyone going to either the Indiana game in Bloomington or the UK game in Lexington?

patteeu 07-14-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 9812702)
Anyone going to either the Indiana game in Bloomington or the UK game in Lexington?

I've got tentative plans to go to the UK game.

Mosbonian 07-14-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9812797)
I've got tentative plans to go to the UK game.

Let me know if you finalize them.....hoping to see a few other MU fans there at the game.

patteeu 07-14-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 9812826)
Let me know if you finalize them.....hoping to see a few other MU fans there at the game.

:thumb:

BourbonMan 07-21-2013 08:43 PM

COLUMBIA — A preseason position change has paid off in a big way for Roderick Winters.

Danny DeArman, the head coach at Bowie High School in Arlington, Texas, said Winters — a fledgling wide receiver as a sophomore — switched to linebacker before the 2012 season due to a lack of numbers at the position.

Winters, it turn, responded with a monster junior campaign in which he racked up 93 tackles, and his name popped on the radar of Missouri defensive coordinator Dave Steckel, who eventually offered him a scholarship. On Sunday, Winters cashed in on that offer, officially becoming MU’s 14th verbal commitment for the Class of 2014.

“He was just an average receiver, so after his sophomore year we needed help on the defensive side of the ball,” DeArman said. “We moved him to linebacker and he is just knocking people out.”

DeArman credits’ Winters’ intelligence for the quick adjustment, calling him a film junkie and a smart kid in the classroom, too (citing his 3.2 GPA).

“He wants to major in engineering, so he’s a very intelligent kid,” DeArman said. “He’s one of those kids you want to adopt.”

Of course, there’s also plenty of physical talent. DeArman said Winters, who is listed at 5-feet-11, 196 pounds and had scholarship offers from Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, North Dakota and Sam Houston State (according to Rivals), ran a 4.52 40-yard dash and posted a 39-inch vertical at a Missouri camp this June, which directly contributed to the scholarship offer.

“He didn’t have much publicity, but I have a relationship with Coach Steckel and he felt like there was something about Rod that was pretty interesting and that he had a good upside,” DeArman said. “He came out, watched him and got him up there for a camp, and Rod put up some good numbers there.”

Winters comes from the same high school program that produced former Tiger Kip Edwards and current Tiger Russell Hansbrough. Edwards was a two-year starter at cornerback for Missouri, while Hansbrough was the Tigers’ third-leading rusher as a true freshman last season.

“He knows about the pipeline we have to Missouri and how those kids are all taken care of,” DeArman said of Winters. “He knows I trust Steck and the coaches at Missouri. It was a no-brainer.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/21...#storylink=cpy

Mizzou_8541 07-21-2013 09:29 PM

Recruiting is on a roll, we beat out Sam Houston St., North Dakota and New Mexico State for this 2*! :thumb: :shrug:

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-21-2013 10:15 PM

Jesus Christ.

I may update this shitshow tomorrow around noon. Then again, I may flay myself.

Pepe Silvia 07-21-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9826256)
Recruiting is on a roll, we beat out Sam Houston St., North Dakota and New Mexico State for this 2*! :thumb: :shrug:

Awesome, that will work great against that SEC speed. :facepalm:

I guess the good recruits know Mizzou is going to get their ass kicked and don't want to play for a losing team, Pinkel will get the boot after this year.

Pitt Gorilla 07-22-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9826447)
Awesome, that will work great against that SEC speed. :facepalm:

I guess the good recruits know Mizzou is going to get their ass kicked and don't want to play for a losing team, Pinkel will get the boot after this year.

He ran a 4.5, IIRC. His vertical was incredible as well. Speed and explosion won't be an issue.

Pepe Silvia 07-22-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9826523)
He ran a 4.5, IIRC. His vertical was incredible as well. Speed and explosion won't be an issue.

He can't be that great if hes a 2 star.

duncan_idaho 07-22-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9827175)
He can't be that great if hes a 2 star.

Likely not. He's an excellent triple-jumper, apparently, which usually indicates a high degree of athleticism and explosion.

Biggest problem seems to be that he's small. Probably more of a safety/LB hybrid than a true LB. But those guys can be valuable, too... (especially in dime looks vs. the spread).

Pepe Silvia 07-22-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9827182)
Likely not. He's an excellent triple-jumper, apparently, which usually indicates a high degree of athleticism and explosion.

Biggest problem seems to be that he's small. Probably more of a safety/LB hybrid than a true LB. But those guys can be valuable, too... (especially in dime looks vs. the spread).

Thats what sucks, Mizzou's LB's have always been undersized with the exception of Sean Witherspoon. MU's LB's look like the size of safeties/corners so he should fit right in with them. lol Sorry I have to laugh to keep from crying about this situation.

On anoter note I read an article, I can't remember the link but the jist of it was how Pinkels DUI has hurt Mizzous recruiting more than people think. They probably should have canned him after that, that wasn't good.

BourbonMan 07-22-2013 12:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found this here http://www.smackapparel.com/Default.aspx

duncan_idaho 07-22-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9827196)
Thats what sucks, Mizzou's LB's have always been undersized with the exception of Sean Witherspoon. MU's LB's look like the size of safeties/corners so he should fit right in with them. lol Sorry I have to laugh to keep from crying about this situation.

On anoter note I read an article, I can't remember the link but the jist of it was how Pinkels DUI has hurt Mizzous recruiting more than people think. They probably should have canned him after that, that wasn't good.

I used to think that, too, but Mizzou actually has had above-average size at LB for a 4-3 defense over the past decade or so. At least in terms of weight/height.

Of course, them using this kid as a hybrid S/LB in the dime would require them to actually, you know, USE a dime package.

Pepe Silvia 07-22-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BourbonMan (Post 9827198)

That's awesome. I just wish we could stay victorious. ROFL

BourbonMan 07-22-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9827212)
That's awesome. I just wish we could stay victorious. ROFL

No kidding ROFL

Pitt Gorilla 07-22-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9827196)

LOL. Winters is basically a clone of Weatherspoon. Spoon was a very athletic, explosive 6-1, 195 2-star linebacker out of high school (with offers from Houston, Iowa State, and Tulane).

Other linebackers, like Wilson (6-4, 240), Scherer (6-4, 229), and Beisel (6-4, 225), were all much bigger coming out of high school. I get that Mizzou fan enjoys whining, but folks should at least be informed when doing so.

beer bacon 07-22-2013 01:47 PM

Every LB without offers that we offer is Sean Weatherspoon you see. They are all going to turn into All-Americans and first round draft picks. Why can't you whiners realize this?

duncan_idaho 07-22-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9827286)
LOL. Winters is basically a clone of Weatherspoon. Spoon was a very athletic, explosive 6-1, 195 2-star linebacker out of high school (with offers from Houston, Iowa State, and Tulane).

Other linebackers, like Wilson (6-4, 240), Scherer (6-4, 229), and Beisel (6-4, 225), were all much bigger coming out of high school. I get that Mizzou fan enjoys whining, but folks should at least be informed when doing so.

Winters is shorter, though. Listed at 5-11, and whispers that he's more like 5-9.5.

There's a limit to how much weight you can typically put on a guy like that and have him retain his athleticism and explosion.

Best case for Winters would be getting him to the 220-225 range, probably.

Pitt Gorilla 07-22-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer bacon (Post 9827325)
Every LB without offers that we offer is Sean Weatherspoon you see. They are all going to turn into All-Americans and first round draft picks. Why can't you whiners realize this?

I don't think anybody (other than you) is dumb enough to claim that. Winters, though, is very similar to Spoon in size, speed, and explosion. I'm not sure how many of Mizzou's linebackers can match Winter's 39 inch vertical.

He may never play a down at Missouri. I have no idea. But, the kid is an athlete that performed at a high level for an excellent team.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-22-2013 04:04 PM

This has the potential to be the worst recruiting class in a decade.

Pepe Silvia 07-22-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9827286)

Maybe in size but let me seem him play like Sean Witherspoon first before comparing him to one of the best Mizzou LB's of all time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer bacon (Post 9827325)

Yeah we pumped out All-Americans 3-4 years ago, not lately. And Its not whining, I'm pointing out facts but MU homers want only nice things said about a these crappy squads that pinkels been building the past few years. They deserve a lot of criticism from a lot of fans right now.

Sorter 07-22-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9827349)
Winters is shorter, though. Listed at 5-11, and whispers that he's more like 5-9.5.

There's a limit to how much weight you can typically put on a guy like that and have him retain his athleticism and explosion.

Best case for Winters would be getting him to the 220-225 range, probably.

5'9 220-225 is pretty damn nice for an ITB safety. Pretty much Shamarko Thomas

Mizzou_8541 07-22-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9827424)
I don't think anybody (other than you) is dumb enough to claim that. Winters, though, is very similar to Spoon in size, speed, and explosion. I'm not sure how many of Mizzou's linebackers can match Winter's 39 inch vertical.

He may never play a down at Missouri. I have no idea. But, the kid is an athlete that performed at a high level for an excellent team.

I certainly appreciate your optimism, but if he is so explosive why doesn't he have more/better offers?

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-22-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9827776)
5'9 220-225 is pretty damn nice for an ITB safety. Pretty much Shamarko Thomas

There was a time when Missouri found diamonds in the rough, but the staff's ability to do that disintegrated at the exact same time that we started losing out on higher profile players.

Having 20 3* recruits isn't bad when you can turn some of the 2s and 3s into Sean Weatherspoon, Danario Alexander, Chase Daniel, and William Moore, but when your 4* players are Nick Demien, Josh Tatum, and your roster is filled with marginal DI talent, as they say in Ebonics, we be ****t.

Sorter 07-22-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9827787)
There was a time when Missouri found diamonds in the rough, but the staff's ability to do that disintegrated at the exact same time that we started losing out on higher profile players.

Having 20 3* recruits isn't bad when you can turn some of the 2s and 3s into Sean Weatherspoon, Danario Alexander, Chase Daniel, and William Moore, but when your 4* players are Nick Demien, Josh Tatum, and your roster is filled with marginal DI talent, as they say in Ebonics, we be ****t.

This is true.

I'm still really confused as to why nobody signed Alexander to an offer sheet this offseason. Worst case scenario, you'd force the Chargers to shell out some money to keep him.

Pitt Gorilla 07-22-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9827780)
I certainly appreciate your optimism, but if he is so explosive why doesn't he have more/better offers?

He may get them. And we may then lose him. Then we can all complain about how we lost such a talent.

Mizzou_8541 07-22-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9827801)
He may get them. And we may then lose him. Then we can all complain about how we lost such a talent.

Absolutely possible. Since I know nothing about judging high school football talent, I tend to go off of offers more than stars...that being said, after another year of football, he could get them. I just have a hard time having much faith in a kid recruited by powerhouse programs such as North Dakota and Sam Houston st.

Rams Fan 07-22-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9827797)
This is true.

I'm still really confused as to why nobody signed Alexander to an offer sheet this offseason. Worst case scenario, you'd force the Chargers to shell out some money to keep him.

Because his knees are absolute shit and can't stand the wear and tear of a 16 game season.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-22-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9827812)
Because his knees are absolute shit and can't stand the wear and tear of a 16 game season.

Ten games of Danario Alexander are better than 16 games of any receiver the Chiefs have had not named Dwayne Bowe in the last 25 years.

Sorter 07-22-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9827812)

So? You make an offer, either the Chargers match and have to shell out more money, or you get a player that you might be able to develop. You don't lose anything either way. He's on league minimum right now, IIRC.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-22-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9827919)
So? You make an offer, either the Chargers match and have to shell out more money, or you get a player that you might be able to develop. You don't lose anything either way. He's on league minimum right now, IIRC.

It's a classic example of the archaic line of thinking in football. It's the most resistant of all American sports to change, and it is run in the least intelligent manner. The fact of the matter is that 8 or 10 games of Danario Alexander is worth more than 16 games of a replacement level player, but teams resist signing players like that for dirt cheap because they buy into moronic truisms like Bill Parcells' "You can't help the club from the tub."

Trevo_410 07-22-2013 07:28 PM

New commit,

http://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/foo...xA2bR52dgas5B4

5.7 rating wooooooooooooooo exciting!

oh wait, he's a dexter mccluster without speed.

yay go tigers.

:harumph:

duncan_idaho 07-22-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9827974)
It's a classic example of the archaic line of thinking in football. It's the most resistant of all American sports to change, and it is run in the least intelligent manner. The fact of the matter is that 8 or 10 games of Danario Alexander is worth more than 16 games of a replacement level player, but teams resist signing players like that for dirt cheap because they buy into moronic truisms like Bill Parcells' "You can't help the club from the tub."

"Can't be a reserve WR if you can't play ST." -- fuddy duddy NFL GMs

On this Winters kid... his rating and lack of offers are due to his size, I think. Most teams aren't interested in a LB that size.

If they can get him to 225 LBs or so without losing the athleticism, he probably will be a pretty effective college player, even if he's too small to play in the NFL at LB.

duncan_idaho 07-22-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 9828120)
New commit,

yay go tigers.

Don't place too much stock in reported/recorded 40 times on a Rivals profile. He ran that before his junior year. Most guys - even little ones - get faster as they get older and stronger.

Also... had a Tennessee offer.

beer bacon 07-22-2013 08:00 PM

Lee ran a 4.45 40 this summer. That was probably hand timed, and he probably isn't that fast. Even so, he's fast.

|Zach| 07-22-2013 08:04 PM

Looking forward to the season.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-22-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 9828120)
New commit,

yay go tigers.

http://rewd.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...y-girl-gif.gif

O.city 07-22-2013 08:27 PM

So, what ends up being the "killshot" to the Gary Pinkel era in Columbia? And who comes next?

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-22-2013 08:51 PM

The 5-7 record this year will be the killshot. I'm thinking we lose to IU on the road and win the Tennessee and Kentucky games. This team probably has a 7 win ceiling if everything goes right, and in the case of a stumble, 3-9 is a definite possibility.

Mizzou will likely target a low BCS coach about to be shitcanned.

Mizzou_8541 07-22-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9828303)
The 5-7 record this year will be the killshot. I'm thinking we lose to IU on the road and win the Tennessee and Kentucky games. This team probably has a 7 win ceiling if everything goes right, and in the case of a stumble, 3-9 is a definite possibility.

LMAO It's funny because it's probably true (though I think we lose to Kentucky and win @Vanderbilt).

Sorter 07-22-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

I can't envision MU losing to Indiana on the road.

Mizzou_8541 07-22-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9828399)

I couldn't envision us losing to Vanderbilt or Syracuse at home last year, but we managed.

Sorter 07-22-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9828415)
I couldn't envision us losing to Vanderbilt or Syracuse at home last year, but we managed.

I thought those 2 were plausible.

The Vandi one was last minute. I definitely thought Syracuse would come out with a win though, especially as the season progressed and Franklin turned into Black Cassel.

Pepe Silvia 07-22-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Thats why they might as well not even fire Pinkel, I mean seriously who are they going to get, no decent coach will go to Mizzou?

Chiefspants 07-22-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Mangino's looking for work.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-22-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9828453)
Thats why they might as well not even fire Pinkel, I mean seriously who are they going to get, no decent coach will go to Mizzou?

Perhaps Missouri would be able to, just once, pick a young, up-and-comer who doesn't have a debilitating cocaine habit. Who was Hugh Freeze two years ago? Was Kevin Sumlin somehow an impossible get for Missouri? At one point Urban Meyer turned Bowling Green and Utah into winning programs before he left for Florida, and Utah largely stayed that way.

Those kinds of guys are out there, and they aren't as impossible to find as people seem to suggest.

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

I think you might be surprised.

SEC job (carries weight - look at Ole Miss, Kentucky, Miss. State, Vanderbilt)
Willingness to pay $2.5 million+
Willingness to spend equal amount on assistants
Large land-grant school with no in-state rivals
Decent in-state talent, not great
Ability to make recruiting inroads in Texas, Florida, and pitch elite talent in Iowa, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana on playing in the SEC and still being close to home

It's not a better job than Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, LSU, Florida, Georgia or Tennessee, but it is a better job now than it was in the Big 12.

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Bobby Petrino. He's a winner which is all that matters in the SEC and I am sure he would jump from Western Kentucky.

Sully 07-23-2013 09:17 AM

I know I'm dreaming, and that there are penalties, but...
How much fun would it be for Pinkel to somehow make it through another year, and we hire Kelly after he flames out in Philly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9828847)
Bobby Petrino. He's a winner which is all that matters in the SEC and I am sure he would jump from Western Kentucky.

Never going to happen. Really no point in discussing it.

Also, his recruiting at Arkansas was no better than Pinkel's has been at Mizzou. Not sure you really get the upgrade there that you're looking for.

kepp 07-23-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9828855)
I know I'm dreaming, and that there are penalties, but...
How much fun would it be for Pinkel to somehow make it through another year, and we hire Kelly after he flames out in Philly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I might consider enduring another year of Pinkel for that.

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9828862)
Never going to happen. Really no point in discussing it.

Also, his recruiting at Arkansas was no better than Pinkel's has been at Mizzou. Not sure you really get the upgrade there that you're looking for.

5-7, 8-5, 10-3, 11-2. That 8-5 year should have been 9-4 and a win against #1 Florida but the refs f'd them at the end of the game. They had a close loss to Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl and wrecked K-State in the Cotton Bowl. Also Ryan Mallett seemed to work out for him.

Missouri would kill for that improvement. I agree it probably will never happen, but they need to decide whether they are committed to winning or just getting paid for taking a beating.

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9828878)
5-7, 8-5, 10-3, 11-2. That 8-5 year should have been 9-4 and a win against #1 Florida but the refs f'd them at the end of the game. They had a close loss to Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl and wrecked K-State in the Cotton Bowl. Also Ryan Mallett seemed to work out for him.

Missouri would kill for that improvement. I agree it probably will never happen, but they need to decide whether they are committed to winning or just getting paid for taking a beating.

There's no probably about it. Bobby Petrino will never be hired at Mizzou unless they're willing to see the two biggest donors to the university stop donating (period).

Petrino is a brilliant offensive mind, but he was a mediocre recruiter BEFORE his rep went nuclear. Can't see any way he wouldn't be worse now. Auburn - which has been obsessed with hiring him for a DECADE - passed on him this offseason. That should tell you how bad things are for Petrino.

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9828906)
There's no probably about it. Bobby Petrino will never be hired at Mizzou unless they're willing to see the two biggest donors to the university stop donating (period).

Petrino is a brilliant offensive mind, but he was a mediocre recruiter BEFORE his rep went nuclear. Can't see any way he wouldn't be worse now. Auburn - which has been obsessed with hiring him for a DECADE - passed on him this offseason. That should tell you how bad things are for Petrino.

As usual, Missouri is committed to average.

DJ's left nut 07-23-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9828908)

When the doners won't pay up, you don't have that option.

Alienating the Lauries so you can hire a guy that is unquestionably an asshole and will leave the program the moment he gets traction is a really really bad idea. And that's presuming he'd come cheap enough that you can get him hired without Laurie/Walton money anyway.

What do you do in 4 years when he's left for USC and the Lauries have sworn off giving MU any more money for athletics? Where are you going to come up with the 3-5 million it takes to secure/retain a good coach?

In a vacuum, I think Petrino's an interesting idea. But we aren't in a vacuum. The consequence of hiring Petrino would be so dire that it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to bring him in.

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9828908)

The donors that would walk away have donated a combined $100 million in the past decade or so.

Also, you're doing it for a guy who is going to LESS effective than he was at his last job, where he didn't win anything more significant than the Cotton Bowl.

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9828931)
The donors that would walk away have donated a combined $100 million in the past decade or so.

Also, you're doing it for a guy who is going to LESS effective than he was at his last job, where he didn't win anything more significant than the Cotton Bowl.

I get that the donors will go away, but turning away from someone that will help you win vs. someone that gives you warm and fuzzies is dumb and like I said committed to average. If that's what we're stuck with then it's sad as usual.

Missouri isn't close to being able to compete for the Cotton bowl, so let's set some attainable goals first before we act like it's beneath us.

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 10:35 AM

I fully expect Gary Pinkel to live in the 5-7 to 7-5 bubble for 4 or 5 years until he wants to walk away. Any new coach is wishful thinking.

Pepe Silvia 07-23-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9828832)
I think you might be surprised.

SEC job (carries weight - look at Ole Miss, Kentucky, Miss. State, Vanderbilt)
Willingness to pay $2.5 million+
Willingness to spend equal amount on assistants
Large land-grant school with no in-state rivals
Decent in-state talent, not great
Ability to make recruiting inroads in Texas, Florida, and pitch elite talent in Iowa, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana on playing in the SEC and still being close to home

It's not a better job than Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, LSU, Florida, Georgia or Tennessee, but it is a better job now than it was in the Big 12.

But its ****ing Mizzou, we will **** it up, book it. lol

Mosbonian 07-23-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9828399)

And neither can I...having seen how bad they have been over the last few years, they even make MU look good.

Reaper16 07-23-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9828983)
I get that the donors will go away, but turning away from someone that will help you win vs. someone that gives you warm and fuzzies is dumb and like I said committed to average.

1.) No, clearly you don't "get" what it means for the Lauries to go away.

2.) Petrino isn't the only coach out there that can win games at Missouri.

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9828983)
I get that the donors will go away, but turning away from someone that will help you win vs. someone that gives you warm and fuzzies is dumb and like I said committed to average. If that's what we're stuck with then it's sad as usual.

Missouri isn't close to being able to compete for the Cotton bowl, so let's set some attainable goals first before we act like it's beneath us.

Here's where I think the biggest gap in our thoughts on this is:

You think Bobby Petrino would be just as successful at Missouri as he was at Arkansas. I believe he would NOT be as successful because of the huge hits his reputation has taken. For a guy who already was not a recruiting dynamo, that will just be crippling.

I don't think I'm alone in that assessment. If other ADs thought he could be as successful now as he was at Arkansas, he'd be the head coach at Auburn, Tennessee or Kentucky right now.

I don't care about warm and fuzzies. Not hiring Bobby Petrino doesn't mean I want to hire a numb nuts like Paul Rhoads who "does it right" and is a "Leader of men" and mediocre football coach (Sorry, RustShack). It just means that Petrino is not - and should - happen.

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9829019)

It's not even the Lauries.

It's the "anonymous" guy behind the huge KC donation announced in the past year... and another family that has donated $65 million to the university since the turn of the century.

DJ's left nut 07-23-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9829036)
It's not even the Lauries.

It's the "anonymous" guy behind the huge KC donation announced in the past year... and another family that has donated $65 million to the university since the turn of the century.

I was under the impression that the prevailing wisdom was that the anonymous guy was still Laurie money.

Though I'd never heard of a 2nd big-money family. That's some serious jack.

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9829034)
You think Bobby Petrino would be just as successful at Missouri as he was at Arkansas. I believe he would NOT be as successful because of the huge hits his reputation has taken. For a guy who already was not a recruiting dynamo, that will just be crippling.

I don't think I'm alone in that assessment. If other ADs thought he could be as successful now as he was at Arkansas, he'd be the head coach at Auburn, Tennessee or Kentucky

I agree his recruiting has never been great, but his coaching has been very good. He's got guys that were at Louisville and at Arkansas that are playing in the league.

To me, winning is what matters. I wanted to hire Bob Huggins, I wanted to hire John Calipari, and I'll take Petrino as well. If they leave in 4 years but the program is in better shape then it was before, then so be it. Hire a new guy like Arkansas did (in between an 18 month disaster)

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9829019)

Name another coach that will say yes and has proven he can win in the SEC.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-23-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9829096)

I don't care about "proven he can win", I care about "can win". There's a difference, and it's not insignificant.

Spurrier, Saban, and Miles all once worked jobs before they had proven they could win in the SEC and yet they...won in the SEC.

You don't have to hire a proven name, you don't have to hire the most well known guy. You have to hire the right guy.

Chiefs fans, of all people, should know this. Dick Vermeil was a proven guy. Scott Pioli was a 3x Executive of the Decade. Neither one of them were the right guy.

The most well known candidate or the one with the most panache is rarely the best candidate for the job, just the best marketed.

Mosbonian 07-23-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9829034)
I don't think I'm alone in that assessment. If other ADs thought he could be as successful now as he was at Arkansas, he'd be the head coach at Auburn, Tennessee or Kentucky right now.

No one in Kentucky wanted to touch Petrino with a 10 foot pole.....one idiot sportwriter mentioned his name when they fired Joker Phillips and one particular response to his name made me laugh. It was:

"I'd rather take a chance on Eminem or Roseanna Barr singing "My Ol' Kentucky Home" at Churchill Downs and not butchering it before I would take a chance on Petrino coaching the UK football team".

patteeu 07-23-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9829096)

The vast majority of the best coaches of the future haven't proven they can win in the SEC yet.

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9829063)
I was under the impression that the prevailing wisdom was that the anonymous guy was still Laurie money.

Though I'd never heard of a 2nd big-money family. That's some serious jack.

Not the Laurie's... from what I heard, a true Kansas City donor. He has donated big money in the past, just not that big, and owns a publishing/printing empire.

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9829087)
I agree his recruiting has never been great, but his coaching has been very good. He's got guys that were at Louisville and at Arkansas that are playing in the league.

To me, winning is what matters. I wanted to hire Bob Huggins, I wanted to hire John Calipari, and I'll take Petrino as well. If they leave in 4 years but the program is in better shape then it was before, then so be it. Hire a new guy like Arkansas did (in between an 18 month disaster)

He's not the same guy he was. That's the deal. That's why he didn't get an offer from one of the SEC schools that had an opening this fall.

Auburn has been trying to hire this guy in a variety of ways since 2002. They had an opening at the same time Petrino was unemployed and were not interested. That should tell you how far the guy's stock has fallen.

He's still a brilliant offensive mind, but recruiting would be even more of a challenge for him now, and at some point the Jimmies and Joes matter.

He has NO credibility on the recruiting trail. That's the issue.

And I was pro-Huggins and pro-Calipari. This is not an issue with his integrity or anything like that.

It's just that the reward in hiring him is not as great as you're thinking or as great as it once was.

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9829225)
The vast majority of the best coaches of the future haven't proven they can win in the SEC yet.

Well let's roll them all through until one hits. We certainly have a great track record of picking the right one.

ChiefsCountry 07-23-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9829228)
Not the Laurie's... from what I heard, a true Kansas City donor. He has donated big money in the past, just not that big, and owns a publishing/printing empire.

Walsworth?

Pepe Silvia 07-23-2013 01:06 PM

I hate that we need the POS Lauries money. Those ****ers made Mizzou get Quin Snyder instead of Bill Self. *Que Mass Facepalm scene from Naked Gun 33 1/3*

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9829450)
I hate that we need the POS Lauries money. Those ****ers made Mizzou get Quin Snyder instead of Bill Self. *Que Mass Facepalm scene from Naked Gun 33 1/3*

Would it help to hear that Bill is a big fan of getting sloshed and rolling around Columbia in his Rolls?

DJ's left nut 07-23-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9829457)
Would it help to hear that Bill is a big fan of getting sloshed and rolling around Columbia in his Rolls?

He's not shy about the ol' "do you know who I am?" card...

Laurie's rep around Columbia is well established. He's pretty much a class-A cad.

ChiefsCountry 07-23-2013 01:17 PM

Bill Laurie has always been a piece of shit, even growing up according to my uncle who graduated with him, and my parents who knew him all through his younger days.