ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2013 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268371)

Saul Good 02-17-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9411009)
I've heard it's pretty ridiculous, but I didn't know it was that dumb. Do they only want people to work out a little bit?

Sounds like its just a meat market or something.

NewChief 02-17-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9410998)
I feel like shit. I'm supposed to box tonight, too. I'm going to get my ass kicked.

LMAO

I'd been doing like 10 milers pretty regularly at one time. I decided I was going to do a 13 miler at Devi's Den, thinking it wasn't that much different. Little did I realize that it was also on some of the most strenuous trail I'd ever done with huge elevation gains. I was probably 10 miles in when I bonked hard core. It ended up taking me like 3.5 hours to do it. I felt like shit for days afterwards.

kcchiefsus 02-17-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9410949)
Okay, I guess I live under a rock and wasn't aware of the policies of this up and coming "gym," Planet Fitness.

Are you all aware that this place kicks people out for sweating too hard or over exerting themselves during lifts? A friend of mine recently got booted out because he was wearing a skull cap (in the winter... also he's balding) and sweating too hard.

WTF??!

You can tell from the commercials that its geared towards pussies and fatasses.

lewdog 02-17-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Okay, I guess I live under a rock and wasn't aware of the policies of this up and coming "gym," Planet Fitness.

Are you all aware that this place kicks people out for sweating too hard or over exerting themselves during lifts? A friend of mine recently got booted out because he was wearing a skull cap (in the winter... also he's balding) and sweating too hard.

WTF??!

Yup, they even have a grunt alarm that goes off it someone is grunting while lifting. I know clothing could get you kicked out but hadn't heard about the sweating part! That really just doesn't make any sense.

I wanna do a day pass at one of these places and just go in a corner, chalkup my entire body, deadlift super heavy, grunt/scream and have my shins bleed all over the bar. Just make a huge, raging scene. That would be hilarious.

Thank you Planet Fitness for continuing the pussification of everyone!

lewdog 02-17-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsus (Post 9411062)
You can tell from the commercials that its geared towards pussies and fatasses.

Oh, is that why Buck has a lifetime membership?

Saul Good 02-17-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9411034)
LMAO

I'd been doing like 10 milers pretty regularly at one time. I decided I was going to do a 13 miler at Devi's Den, thinking it wasn't that much different. Little did I realize that it was also on some of the most strenuous trail I'd ever done with huge elevation gains. I was probably 10 miles in when I bonked hard core. It ended up taking me like 3.5 hours to do it. I felt like shit for days afterwards.

Actually felt pretty good on the boxing. I'm surprised. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Before last April, I had never run more than a mile, and I hadn't even done that in 20 years. I'm pretty proud of myself.

BigCatDaddy 02-17-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

WTF??!

I love this video. This dude got booted out for grunting then rages.

http://youtu.be/umFtq_GOyxo

el borracho 02-24-2013 07:50 PM

Ok, Deadlift experts,

I have been doing deadlifts for a few weeks now, and the movement is starting to feel more natural through a lot of my sets, but.... why is it that the first rep always feels like I have bad form and how can I correct whatever is causing that? To be clear, there is no pain, it(the first rep) just feels like I'm doing the exercise wrong and then subsequent reps feel right.

Silock 02-24-2013 08:08 PM

Gonna need a bit more info.

el borracho 02-24-2013 08:16 PM

First rep
- more of a struggle than subsequent reps
- bar drags on shins and/or knees more than subsequent reps
- knees feel less stable than subsequent reps

lewdog 02-24-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9434452)
First rep
- more of a struggle than subsequent reps
- bar drags on shins and/or knees more than subsequent reps
- knees feel less stable than subsequent reps

Biggest is that most people jerk the weight on the first rep, instead of tightening everything first and learning to squeeze the bar off the floor. Also likely that you also aren't pushing the knees back, instead you are pulling the bar forward around the knees.

el borracho 02-24-2013 08:33 PM

Hmmm.... definitely not jerking the weight off the floor. Maybe positioning the knees. What, specifically, can I do to correct this?

lewdog 02-24-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9434576)
Hmmm.... definitely not jerking the weight off the floor. Maybe positioning the knees. What, specifically, can I do to correct this?

Most people don't learn to tighten their posterior chain on the first rep, and at times I still struggle with it. Learn to sit back, tighten your glutes/hams and focus on pulling through your heels to keep a straight bar path while flattening out your knees as the bar hits mid shin.\

What shoes do you deadlift in?

Silock 02-24-2013 08:37 PM

Staying tight would be my first thought.

Something that helps is to think about using your feet to push the bar away from the floor instead of trying to "lift" it, if that makes sense.

el borracho 02-25-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9434610)
Most people don't learn to tighten their posterior chain on the first rep, and at times I still struggle with it. Learn to sit back, tighten your glutes/hams and focus on pulling through your heels to keep a straight bar path while flattening out your knees as the bar hits mid shin.\

What shoes do you deadlift in?

I have been lifting in regular old sneakers; this morning I took my shoes off completely and lifted in just my socks. Didn't really notice any difference.

el borracho 02-25-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9434620)
Staying tight would be my first thought.

Something that helps is to think about using your feet to push the bar away from the floor instead of trying to "lift" it, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I have heard that one should try to push the heels through the floor, so I have tried to keep that in mind during the lift. How important is bar speed? It seems like the reps that feel best happen when I move quicker and think less. When I think more and move slower it generally feels like the form deteriorates.

WV 02-25-2013 10:39 AM

Changed my shoes a couple weeks ago and it messed up my right Achilles. I ran and worked through it for about a week then realized I needed to take a break. So I toke a week off from squatting and running, then last week picked squatting back up...bad idea. I still ran this weekend, but it was pretty bad. Going up hill killed me and I had to quit after about 5 miles. My achilles actually swelled a little and got all creaky again if that makes sense. I'm going to skip squatting again this week, perhaps skip running depending on how it feels and hope for the best. Any other advice or anyone else dealt with this? It isn't a bad constant pain...sort of nagging, but certain movements definitely hurt.

Saul Good 02-25-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9436143)
Changed my shoes a couple weeks ago and it messed up my right Achilles. I ran and worked through it for about a week then realized I needed to take a break. So I toke a week off from squatting and running, then last week picked squatting back up...bad idea. I still ran this weekend, but it was pretty bad. Going up hill killed me and I had to quit after about 5 miles. My achilles actually swelled a little and got all creaky again if that makes sense. I'm going to skip squatting again this week, perhaps skip running depending on how it feels and hope for the best. Any other advice or anyone else dealt with this? It isn't a bad constant pain...sort of nagging, but certain movements definitely hurt.

I'm right there with you. Since my last post about my run, my right foot has hurt like hell. I guess this is a good a time as any to be unable to run, though.

WV 02-25-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9436160)
I'm right there with you. Since my last post about my run, my right foot has hurt like hell. I guess this is a good a time as any to be unable to run, though.

I had to run through IT band issues in the beginning, but this seems like a different animal. Rest seems like the best medicine, but I'm stubborn and hate to do that.

Buck 03-15-2013 09:39 AM

So I timed myself and I did 10 pushups in 11 seconds and 25 in 41 seconds.

Interested in how long it takes you fit folks so I can compare.

The last 3 pushups took like 3-4 sec each though, I was struggling.

Saul Good 03-15-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9501483)

10 in 10 seconds. 25 in just under 27 seconds. I do pushups pretty regularly, though.

Omaha 03-15-2013 01:57 PM

I just did this as many rounds as possible in 10 minutes:

5 shoulder press (135 lbs)
10 deadlift (135 lbs)
15 box jumps (24 inch box - no springing off at the top - must stand up straight at the top)

That was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Anyone want to try it?

Demonpenz 03-15-2013 02:07 PM

Been lifting regularly for a couple months. Feels good.

rageeumr 03-15-2013 02:18 PM

I'm planning on doing 4 or 5 traithlons this season, with my "A" races being Ironman 70.3 Kansas and a fall 70.3 that's TBD (likely Redman in Oklahoma City)

I'm in the last few weeks of my base program before I start my build. Last week I swam about 2.6 miles, biked 35 and ran 17. This week is going to be similar, with a small bump in cycling and running mileage. Swimming is going to take a hit, though, because I think I'm going to skip the pool today and go hit some golf balls :D

MahiMike 03-15-2013 03:15 PM

Just ran my annual 15K. The Jax River Run is the biggest one in the country. 20,000 people. The start looks like folks running from a natural disaster...lol

Missed my time by 4 minutes. 9.3 miles in 1 hour 33 minutes and change.

Hardest mile is the last one. Over the tallest bridge in the town. Lotsa fun though. They had bands playing every mile and neighborhoods cheering us on. People hand stuff out; orange slices, ice pops, but the funniest are the guys cooking brats and handing them out with beer...lol

BigCatDaddy 03-15-2013 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I LOL'd

Omaha 03-15-2013 07:09 PM

I like the "crossfit: the scientology of exercise" memes.

lewdog 03-15-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9502296)
I just did this as many rounds as possible in 10 minutes:

5 shoulder press (135 lbs)
10 deadlift (135 lbs)
15 box jumps (24 inch box - no springing off at the top - must stand up straight at the top)

That was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Anyone want to try it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9503155)
I LOL'd

No....deadlifting the same as a military press. So much fail.

NewChief 03-15-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9501483)

I've been drinking, and I remembered this thread. I was going to do it at work today, but decided to wait until I got home. Just got in front of TV in jeans and chacos after 5 beers.

18 seconds for 25 push-ups at 40 years old.

ThaVirus 03-15-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9503155)
I LOL'd

LMAO Ahnold!

Omaha 03-15-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9503610)
No....deadlifting the same as a military press. So much fail.

Dude, it's not about deadlifting heavy. It's a met con drill. Try it. It's harder than you think, ya meat shake.

Silock 03-15-2013 09:28 PM

Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's a good thing to work toward ;)

lewdog 03-15-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9504087)
Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's a good thing to work toward ;)

Silock always has my back!

Suck it, Omaha!

penguinz 03-15-2013 11:47 PM

Try squatting 135LBs for 100 reps in as few sets as possible. You have to do deep squats. My best is 3 sets.

Omaha 03-16-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9504106)
Silock always has my back!

Suck it, Omaha!

Sure. And just because it's not what you guys do doesn't mean its not. ;)

Omaha 03-16-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9504749)
Try squatting 135LBs for 100 reps in as few sets as possible. You have to do deep squats. My best is 3 sets.

That sounds rough. I have been working on my squat form for the last year. A year ago my form was so bad I could barely air squat below parallel without falling backwards. I do a lot of front squats now and I'm going ATG.

A group of guys at my gym did this challenge: They loaded their body weight on the squat rack and did as many squats as they could in an hour. The winner did 475 reps.

Omaha 03-30-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9399298)
Strengthen your ass. It supports your entire back.

This statement has turned out to be one of the most accurate posts ever posted on this site.

Buck 03-30-2013 03:36 PM

Saw this on reddit, pretty neat.

http://simplesciencefitness.com/

ThaVirus 03-30-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9541674)
Saw this on reddit, pretty neat.

http://simplesciencefitness.com/

A good friend of mine's girlfriend broke up with him a couple months ago so now he's trying to hit the gym hard. He says he started at 280 and wants to get back under 220 at least. He's always calling me asking questions about how to do things so I'll send this to him so he can do some reading.

Anyway, I've been lifting 4-5 days a week as usual but have changed my eating habits. I've been really trying to cut high fructose corn syrup out of my diet completely so I haven't had soda or white bread for quite some time. Truthfully, I was only drinking about a cup of soda (cumulative) per week anyway so that wasn't too hard, but the white bread was a killer for me. I like to eat 3 or 4 slices of butter bread with meals for the calories. When I discovered the bread I was buying had HFCS as one of its main ingredients, I immediately switched to wheat bread.

I feel like everything we eat is shitty, but it makes me feel better at the very least.

Buck 03-30-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9541714)
A good friend of mine's girlfriend broke up with him a couple months ago so now he's trying to hit the gym hard. He says he started at 280 and wants to get back under 220 at least. He's always calling me asking questions about how to do things so I'll send this to him so he can do some reading.

Anyway, I've been lifting 4-5 days a week as usual but have changed my eating habits. I've been really trying to cut high fructose corn syrup out of my diet completely so I haven't had soda or white bread for quite some time. Truthfully, I was only drinking about a cup of soda (cumulative) per week anyway so that wasn't too hard, but the white bread was a killer for me. I like to eat 3 or 4 slices of butter bread with meals for the calories. When I discovered the bread I was buying had HFCS as one of its main ingredients, I immediately switched to wheat bread.

I feel like everything we eat is shitty, but it makes me feel better at the very least.

I'm a huge proponent of Low Carb dieting, I should get that out of the way. Dude, to be honest, I don't think it matters whether you're eating White Bread or Wheat Bread. It's doing about the same exact thing once you eat it.

My problem is I can't get hungry enough now to maintain my current weight. Weed has been helping a lot, but I ran out and I'm considering getting a prescription because of my small appetite, I guess that's a valid reason in CA. Problem is that when I toke, I don't want to workout.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do because I don't want to go back to what I was doing before, I'm super afraid of that happening. I think I might incorporate rice into my meals once a week.

lewdog 03-30-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9541727)
. Dude, to be honest, I don't think it matters whether you're eating White Bread or Wheat Bread. It's doing about the same exact thing once you eat it.

Ummm no, different insulin responses for those completely. And insulin IS an important component of building muscle and carbs should never completely be taken out of a serious lifters diet. Limiting them is the key (for decreased bodyfat) along with proper choices for carbs that don't have as high of an insulin response. Carb timing pre/post workout is best, and I feel they then can be avoided at all others times of the day if you choose but completely depleting glycogen stores for weeks on end for anyone who is remotely serious about lifting is just reeruned.

Buck 03-30-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9541808)
Ummm no, different insulin responses for those completely. And insulin IS an important component of building muscle and carbs should never completely be taken out of a serious lifters diet. Limiting them is the key (for decreased bodyfat) along with proper choices for carbs that don't have as high of an insulin response. Carb timing pre/post workout is best, and I feel they then can be avoided at all others times of the day if you choose but completely depleting glycogen stores for weeks on end for anyone who is remotely serious about lifting is just reeruned.

I think there are much better carbohydrate alternatives than wheat bread. I don't think wheat serves any purpose.

Omaha 04-01-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9541714)

Gee, I wonder why he got dumped?

ThaVirus 04-02-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9546361)
Gee, I wonder why he got dumped?

I could have guessed you'd have something to say about that.

He was actually at 220 when they met and put on 60 pounds while they were dating. Eating out every meal of the day with levels of physical activity approaching Jabba the Hut status will do that to you. Shit, he said she even gained 40 pounds while they were together.

el borracho 04-03-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9374159)
Trying to add deadlifts into my routine this year. Starting out super-light but should know if my back can take it in a month or two.

Deadlifted 255 this morning- pretty pleased with the progress for only doing them two months. Still no pain, except for normal muscle soreness.

Hammock Parties 04-04-2013 12:10 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r2OGpM6HBro?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NewChief 04-04-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9555468)
Deadlifted 255 this morning- pretty pleased with the progress for only doing them two months. Still no pain, except for normal muscle soreness.

Awesome! My favorite lift. Makes you feel like a freaking man.

Aspengc8 04-04-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9541808)

:thumb:

My only carb sources to Oats, rice & potatoes. Sometimes I'll make my own pizza with 'wheat' dough, doesn't really matter since I load it up with lean ground beef and eat the whole thing. I've never met (nor seen) anyone with a respectable level or strength or physique that built it low carb or paleo. Like you said, Insulin is one of the bodys most anabolic hormones and to avoid it completely is reeruned.

Aspengc8 04-04-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9541822)
I think there are much better carbohydrate alternatives than wheat bread. I don't think wheat serves any purpose.

Well, its broken down to glucose, so it serves a purpose as a energy provider.

The Franchise 04-04-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9550076)
I could have guessed you'd have something to say about that.

He was actually at 220 when they met and put on 60 pounds while they were dating. Eating out every meal of the day with levels of physical activity approaching Jabba the Hut status will do that to you. Shit, he said she even gained 40 pounds while they were together.

The shit happens all of the time.....especially when you introduce kids, jobs and stress.

When I first started dating my wife....I was around 195-200 lbs. After 3 years of marriage and 1 of dating.....plus 3 kids.....I was up to 250.

lewdog 04-11-2013 06:21 PM

Back up over 2x body weight deadlift. BW 192, dead lifted 395 for two easy singles. Months of no hip pain. Finally feeling like I am taking multiple steps ahead with no steps back.

el borracho 04-14-2013 10:42 PM

Going to start the Russian Bench program tomorrow. Never done it, so not sure what to expect. Looks like the first few weeks will be very easy.

phisherman 04-22-2013 12:33 PM

PR'd my 5k time at the Garmin 5k this Saturday by over 2 minutes. My fastest time while working out had been around 25:45, and I finished on Saturday in 23:17. 7:31 per mile pace. Just last September I ran my first official 5k "race" in a hair over 30 minutes.

Omaha 04-22-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 9614218)
PR'd my 5k time at the Garmin 5k this Saturday by over 2 minutes. My fastest time while working out had been around 25:45, and I finished on Saturday in 23:17. 7:31 per mile pace. Just last September I ran my first official 5k "race" in a hair over 30 minutes.

Nice. That's better than my best time so that must mean you're a beast!

phisherman 04-22-2013 01:33 PM

The hard work and miles have paid off. I have pushed myself harder while running than I've ever pushed at anything in my whole life. There is a lot of mental toughness and discipline involved and the experience of starting slow (and feeling like I was going to die the first month or so) and being able to achieve goals through continued practice and effort has been one of the most satisfying things that I've ever done.

Marcellus 04-22-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 9614382)
The hard work and miles have paid off. I have pushed myself harder while running than I've ever pushed at anything in my whole life. There is a lot of mental toughness and discipline involved and the experience of starting slow (and feeling like I was going to die the first month or so) and being able to achieve goals through continued practice and effort has been one of the most satisfying things that I've ever done.

The best thing about running is you just need to keep doing it to get better.

I have been running for 2 years now and am doing my first full marathon Sunday in OKC. I am excited and nervous as hell.

My fitness goals this year are to run the marathon with an 8:00 mile avg, bench press 315 (I already did 300 which was my original goal and tied a PR) and get my 5K time under 20:00 (PR is 20:46).

phisherman 04-22-2013 04:21 PM

I know that world class marathoners are doing crazy 5 minute miles, but hey, to me, an 8 minute mile average for 26.2 is some beast mode type s**t.

My goal for this year is a half in under 2 hours. A full is certainly doable, but anything more than 2 hours and my focus is going to start to wane.

Omaha 04-23-2013 09:07 AM

My left wrist has been hurting for over a month. A couple of people have suggested that it's the way I hold the mar when I do bench, shoulder press, etc. My handa are bent back slightly. I've probably always done this so I wonder why it's a problem now. Also, I see other people doing this all the time. If this is my problem, how do I train myself to keep my hands straight up. It feels awkward.

Marcellus 04-23-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 9614814)
I know that world class marathoners are doing crazy 5 minute miles, but hey, to me, an 8 minute mile average for 26.2 is some beast mode type s**t.

My goal for this year is a half in under 2 hours. A full is certainly doable, but anything more than 2 hours and my focus is going to start to wane.

Last year I did my first half after never planning to do one and ended up running 3 of them.

I got progressively quicker over the year so expectations changed. You could end up amazed at what you can do if you keep working at it.

For the record I think a half marathon is a great distance. not short but not ridiculously long.

I have no idea how these Ultra guys do it. I know a guy who ran a 100 mile race last summer and I think it took him close to 18 hours, that's nuts.

Buehler445 04-23-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9616517)
My left wrist has been hurting for over a month. A couple of people have suggested that it's the way I hold the mar when I do bench, shoulder press, etc. My handa are bent back slightly. I've probably always done this so I wonder why it's a problem now. Also, I see other people doing this all the time. If this is my problem, how do I train myself to keep my hands straight up. It feels awkward.

Did you fall on it or something? When I was playing high school ball I jammed my wrist taking a charge and it made it hurt to do quite a bit, including bench.

I went to a chiropractor (that was a sports trainer, not a quack). He worked on it and it was like new again. I hold the bar like you describe. Once I got put back together I could still hold the bar in the center of my hand instead of resting it on my thumb. If the injury happened outside of lifting, it may not be how you hold the bar. I'd at least talk to a decent chiropractor.

phisherman 04-23-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9616551)
Last year I did my first half after never planning to do one and ended up running 3 of them.

I got progressively quicker over the year so expectations changed. You could end up amazed at what you can do if you keep working at it.

For the record I think a half marathon is a great distance. not short but not ridiculously long.

I have no idea how these Ultra guys do it. I know a guy who ran a 100 mile race last summer and I think it took him close to 18 hours, that's nuts.

Oh man, you're right about achieving and having goals instantly change. It's funny what happens when you blow away your own expectations. Powerful stuff for sure.

Omaha 04-23-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9616561)
Did you fall on it or something? When I was playing high school ball I jammed my wrist taking a charge and it made it hurt to do quite a bit, including bench.

I went to a chiropractor (that was a sports trainer, not a quack). He worked on it and it was like new again. I hold the bar like you describe. Once I got put back together I could still hold the bar in the center of my hand instead of resting it on my thumb. If the injury happened outside of lifting, it may not be how you hold the bar. I'd at least talk to a decent chiropractor.

In my experience, this is an oxymoron. I'm sure they exist, I just feel like I'm looking fr a needle in a haystack.

NewChief 04-23-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

You're doing crossfit. Have you recently started doing cleans?

jiveturkey 04-23-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

As the weight increases you're putting more and more pressure on that joint. You've probably got wicked tendonitis.

I follow the Mark Rippatoe program and he talks about your exact problem.

You want the bar to be balanced atop your forearms. No wrist action at all. It takes some time to train your brain and you'll probably want to drop your weight while you modify your approach.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vxUq20gQpS...lustration.png

Buehler445 04-23-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9616674)
In my experience, this is an oxymoron. I'm sure they exist, I just feel like I'm looking fr a needle in a haystack.

The one I went to was a sports guy. You might look for one with those types of certifications or some orthopedics certifications.

I don't know. i'm just lucky I found one that wasn't a ****ing nutjob. If they start talking about lowering blood pressure or losing weight and shit because your back is out, GFTO.

Silock 04-23-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Shouldn't your Crossfit coach be able to tell you?

NewChief 04-23-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9617213)

Asshole. :pLMAO

Silock 04-23-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9617321)
Asshole. :pLMAO

Not trying to be an asshole. I thought that's what they were there for.

lewdog 04-23-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9617213)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9617331)
Not trying to be an asshole. I thought that's what they were there for.

You know the answer to that....don't be silly.

Silock 04-23-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9618257)
You know the answer to that....don't be silly.

I know. Perhaps I WAS being a little facetious, but seriously, for all that money, the goddamn coach should be able to tell me if my form is making me hurt.

lewdog 04-23-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9618268)
I know. Perhaps I WAS being a little facetious, but seriously, for all that money, the goddamn coach should be able to tell me if my form is making me hurt.

It is a crime what those Crossfit gyms charge per month to join, for coaching that is pretty horrendous.

I will say, however, that I have two friends who are Crossfit coaches who are very good coaches. But they are in the very minor minority from all the ones I have seen who's basic coaching principle is, "try for one more!!!"

Omaha 04-23-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9616704)
You're doing crossfit. Have you recently started doing cleans?

I'm doing more cleans than I've done in the past, but they've been part of my routine for years. To be honest, I don't remember doing anything that ****ed it up. I just woke up one day & it hurt. I initially thought I had just slept on it wrong.

Omaha 04-23-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 9616713)
As the weight increases you're putting more and more pressure on that joint. You've probably got wicked tendonitis.

I follow the Mark Rippatoe program and he talks about your exact problem.

You want the bar to be balanced atop your forearms. No wrist action at all. It takes some time to train your brain and you'll probably want to drop your weight while you modify your approach.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vxUq20gQpS...lustration.png

It feels like it very well could be tendonitis. I'll check out Mark Rippatoe.

Lewdog and JiveTurkey, have either of you ever used wrist braces? I see some guys use them anytime they do anything overhead. I'd rather just be able to do things without anything like that, but I don't want to take 2 months off, either.

NewChief 04-23-2013 07:15 PM

The good news about Crossfit is that market saturation is hitting (at least around here), and some gyms are realizing they can just put up "Crossfit" and attract a ton of people without actually knowing a damned thing about it and charging bottom dollar. One of our gyms is $75 a month per family for unlimited CrossFit, Childcare, Tanning, and Group Classes, plus a full service "regular' gym. That's what a normal gym costs here. If a few more gyms do that, it's going to drive down the price of the rest of the Crossfit community in the area (which is ridiculously priced).

lewdog 04-23-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9618554)
It feels like it very well could be tendonitis. I'll check out Mark Rippatoe.

Lewdog and JiveTurkey, have either of you ever used wrist braces? I see some guys use them anytime they do anything overhead. I'd rather just be able to do things without anything like that, but I don't want to take 2 months off, either.

I do not. I am curious about your front squat. How relaxed are your hands? Is the bar barely resting on the end of you fingers? Specifically index and middle only? Biggest mistake I see Crossfitters do is catch cleans or do front squats with tight wrists. Plenty do them with almost closed hands! ROFL

You should NOT be holding the bar with your hands on a front squat.

lewdog 04-23-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9618561)
The good news about Crossfit is that market saturation is hitting (at least around here), and some gyms are realizing they can just put up "Crossfit" and attract a ton of people without actually knowing a damned thing about it and charging bottom dollar. One of our gyms is $75 a month per family for unlimited CrossFit, Childcare, Tanning, and Group Classes, plus a full service "regular' gym. That's what a normal gym costs here. If a few more gyms do that, it's going to drive down the price of the rest of the Crossfit community in the area (which is ridiculously priced).

Wow, that is crazy cheap. Ones around here are $80 a month per person and that includes solely workouts. Ummmm pass...

NewChief 04-23-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9618598)
Wow, that is crazy cheap. Ones around here are $80 a month per person and that includes solely workouts. Ummmm pass...

Exactly what most places around here are charging as well. That's why I saw this place as a good market presence. Hopefully other gyms follow suit as well (though I don't honestly care, because I probably won't do Crossfit).

I actually thought this gym was a shitty Crossfit gym, but their website actually looks decent, as they require a fundamentals workshop prior to doing any classes. The workshop covers:
Quote:

What to Expect.
The majority of our course we will working on body mechanics with pvc pipes. So try not to think we’ll be working out for the whole 3 hours. Over the three days we’ll go over the following.

Day 1 Basic Movements
Theory
What is Fitness
Exercises
Squat Series
Air Squat
Front Squat
Overhead Squat
Shoulder Press Series
Shoulder Press
Push Press
Push Jerk
Thruster
Wall Balls
Pullup
Introduction to the Kipping Pullup

Day 2 Power Movements
Theory
Power
Exercise
Deadlift series
Deadlft
Sumo Deadlift Highpull
Medicine Ball Clean
Clean and Jerk
Snatch
Kettlebells
Kettlebell Swing
Russian
American
Turkish Getup
KB Clean and Press
KB Snatch

Day 3 Gymnastics Movements
Theory
Nutrition
Exercises
Bar Work
More work on the Kipping Pullup
Toes To Bar
Still Rings/ Parallettes
Ring Dip
L-Sits
Handstand Pushups
Other common movements
Burpees
Pushups
Atomic Pushup
Box Jumps
Glute and Hamstring Developer
That being said, that's a shit ton of stuff to try to cover in 3 sessions. I imagine most people would experience information overload.

lewdog 04-23-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9618622)

That being said, that's a shit ton of stuff to try to cover in 3 sessions. I imagine most people would experience information overload.

That is where you can tell shitty coaching starts. Instead of doing the basics, they try to cram in as much shit as they can so people can get started going made up WODs that include exercises some people should NEVER be doing. Their is not systematic progress for individual's athletic ability. Instead it is, "hey the workout today is something called FRAN, go to it." The mantra, "you don't have to be good at it, just do it" couldn't be further from wrong with anything involving weight lifting.

NewChief 04-23-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9618645)
That is where you can tell shitty coaching starts. Instead of doing the basics, they try to cram in as much shit as they can so people can get started going made up WODs that include exercises some people should NEVER be doing. Their is not systematic progress for individual's athletic ability. Instead it is, "hey the workout today is something called FRAN, go to it." The mantra, "you don't have to be good at it, just do it" couldn't be further from wrong with anything involving weight lifting.

My best workshop I've done was an RKC kettlebell workshop. It covered three movements:

Swing
Snatch
Turkish Get Up.

Three hours for three movements. Then the instructor rode my ass at the gym every time he saw me for the next 3 weeks to correct me.

Omaha 04-23-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9618596)
I do not. I am curious about your front squat. How relaxed are your hands? Is the bar barely resting on the end of you fingers? Specifically index and middle only? Biggest mistake I see Crossfitters do is catch cleans or do front squats with tight wrists. Plenty do them with almost closed hands! ROFL

You should NOT be holding the bar with your hands on a front squat.

The weight is resting on my shoulders. We had to do 10 one on one sessions with the coaches before we could start the workouts. One of them was dedicated to front squat, which I'd never done before.

Catching cleans might be a problem when I do clean & press. I can't really blame crossfit, though. I may have been doing them wrong since high school.

The other lifts that are new to me are snatches and overhead squat. I've been doing pretty light weight with these because they're new, but I've recently started adding a little bit of weight.