ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Geno Smith is not worth the 1st overall pick (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268320)

duncan_idaho 01-02-2013 12:09 PM

Here's my thing:

This draft doesn't HAVE a sure thing. Everyone has warts. There isn't a sure-fire guy at an impact position.

Yeah, Geno Smith has some question marks. Yeah, there are some QBs who are similar (though Glennon is really the only one that has the tools to match Smith's ultimate upside).

But how do the other top prospects hold up if you shine the same light on them that's being shined on Smith?

Let's talk about Luke Joekel, since he's a hot name right now. He's great in pass pro, in the phone booth or on an island, and he's got great, choppy feet. But he also is only an average run blocker at the NFL level and lacks the strength/bulk to dominate in that regard. If you're taking a tackle first overall, he'd better be a guy that dominates in both phases of the offensive game. And is he REALLY that much better than Jake Matthews (who could be available anywhere from 5-15)? Matthews isn't quite as stellar in pass pro but is much better rounded. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Matthews has a better pro career.

What about Star Lutuli? Also a hot name. But compare him to some of the other stud DTs that are first-rounders (Hankins, Floyd, Richardson, etc). IS there really a big separation? Is he MORE of a sure thing than any of them? And does KC REALLY need to spend another first-round pick on a DT (That has worked SO well)...

And, finally, my FAVORITE: Manti Te'o. He's a highly productive player at a position that is NOT a premium spot in the NFL. He's an average CFB athlete and likely below-average in terms of NFL athleticism. He's also not an impact player rushing the QB. Best case scenario for him is probably being as good as Derrick Johnson. How big a difference does it make taking Te'o at 1 vs. the guy from Stanford or someone similar in Round 3?

My point: If you're going to reach for a player - which the Chiefs are going to be doing if they stay at No. 1 regardless - reach for the best guy at the highest impact position. I see Smith and Joekel as similar risks, so I say Smith.

No, Geno Smith is not Andrew Luck or RG3 (at least not at this point). But Joekel is sure as hell not Joe Thomas, Jonathan Ogden or Orlando Pace. Manti Te'o is sure as hell not Brian Urlacher. Lutuli is sure as hell not Ndamuhkong Suh.

ChiefsCountry 01-02-2013 12:12 PM

The last two games without Barkley showed what he is really worth. The all-world talent around him sure didn't put up the same stats and show that they did with Barkley.

Molitoth 01-02-2013 12:14 PM

Narrow Head walks into a bar. After some drinks he decides that he is horny and wants to have the best sex of his life.

He see's this sexy chick just sitting there being talked to by all these other dudes. Just waiting to be snatched up and taken off to be fucked. She likes Narrow Head and claims she will give him everything he wants.

Narrow Head is skeptical. He is having thoughts that she could be high maintenance, or a bitch, but my god could this be a trophy wife. This chick is so hot, it could make HIM famous. The media would be all over him like he was the next big thing.

Narrow Head looks around and spots a fat shy chick sitting by herself. The same girl that nobody else is looking at. He knows she will be intimidated, low maintenance, and probably not cause him much trouble, which is nice... but she could never be beautiful.

Narrow Head scoops over to the fat chick and takes her home in his fairladyZ (not twin turbo) and is never to be heard of again.
Meanwhile, Setsuna is banging the fucking hot chick to stardom, as well as having a threesome with Tim Tebow.

Did this makes any sense?

HolyHat 01-02-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9268248)
The last two games without Barkley showed what he is really worth. The all-world talent around him sure didn't put up the same stats and show that they did with Barkley.

USC sucked with and without Barkley. Barkley is weak sauce like every other USC QB.

Reaper16 01-02-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9268235)
Here's my thing:

This draft doesn't HAVE a sure thing. Everyone has warts. There isn't a sure-fire guy at an impact position.

Yeah, Geno Smith has some question marks. Yeah, there are some QBs who are similar (though Glennon is really the only one that has the tools to match Smith's ultimate upside).

But how do the other top prospects hold up if you shine the same light on them that's being shined on Smith?

Let's talk about Luke Joekel, since he's a hot name right now. He's great in pass pro, in the phone booth or on an island, and he's got great, choppy feet. But he also is only an average run blocker at the NFL level and lacks the strength/bulk to dominate in that regard. If you're taking a tackle first overall, he'd better be a guy that dominates in both phases of the offensive game. And is he REALLY that much better than Jake Matthews (who could be available anywhere from 5-15)? Matthews isn't quite as stellar in pass pro but is much better rounded. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Matthews has a better pro career.

What about Star Lutuli? Also a hot name. But compare him to some of the other stud DTs that are first-rounders (Hankins, Floyd, Richardson, etc). IS there really a big separation? Is he MORE of a sure thing than any of them? And does KC REALLY need to spend another first-round pick on a DT (That has worked SO well)...

And, finally, my FAVORITE: Manti Te'o. He's a highly productive player at a position that is NOT a premium spot in the NFL. He's an average CFB athlete and likely below-average in terms of NFL athleticism. He's also not an impact player rushing the QB. Best case scenario for him is probably being as good as Derrick Johnson. How big a difference does it make taking Te'o at 1 vs. the guy from Stanford or someone similar in Round 3?

My point: If you're going to reach for a player - which the Chiefs are going to be doing if they stay at No. 1 regardless - reach for the best guy at the highest impact position. I see Smith and Joekel as similar risks, so I say Smith.

No, Geno Smith is not Andrew Luck or RG3 (at least not at this point). But Joekel is sure as hell not Joe Thomas, Jonathan Ogden or Orlando Pace. Manti Te'o is sure as hell not Brian Urlacher. Lutuli is sure as hell not Ndamuhkong Suh.

Superb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9268248)

I'm at the point where I'm giving my full support and leeway behind whoever the new coach thinks is the best QB. If that's Barkley, then I'm behind it with patience. Same with Wilson or Bray or Glennon or Smith.

duncan_idaho 01-02-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9268259)
USC sucked with and without Barkley. Barkley is weak sauce like every other USC QB.

Barkley is:

Short, slow and doesn't have great arm strength (it's good enough but not great). He does, however, have great mechanics and is very bright (and sometimes effective at reading defenses).

Sounds like a future game manager to me.

Pin Head 01-02-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9268210)
So basically you want to go with the BEST non-impact position player with your #1, and take the leftovers on the most important position in sports?

:banghead:

As an alternative I'd be willing to consider trading away the 2013 2nd, 3rd and 5th round picks to Washington for Cousins OR just our 2014 1st rounder (which should be a top 10 pick) and #3 in 2014 as well.

Buckweath 01-02-2013 12:20 PM

It is a certainty that the Chiefs will draft a QB at #1 overall, like it or not.

The name of the game is QB.

duncan_idaho 01-02-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9268275)
Superb.

I'm at the point where I'm giving my full support and leeway behind whoever the new coach thinks is the best QB. If that's Barkley, then I'm behind it with patience. Same with Wilson or Bray or Glennon or Smith.

My only problem with Tyler Bray is that he's a headcase/terrible person. He's Roethlisberger-esque in that regard.

I also personally watched him get completely shut down by a Dave Steckel defense.

Other than that, hard to disagree.

ChiefRocka 01-02-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narrow Head (Post 9268284)
As an alternative I'd be willing to consider trading away the 2013 2nd, 3rd and 5th round picks to Washington for Cousins OR just our 2014 1st rounder (which should be a top 10 pick) and #3 in 2014 as well.

If you and Scott Pioli had a child...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3sMh31VZHM...1254788145.jpg

duncan_idaho 01-02-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

"Ah, yes, the old 'Acquire other team's backup based on extremely small sample size' plan.

THAT has worked out brilliantly over the years."

-- Says Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, Matt Cassel and too many others.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-02-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9268275)
Superb.

Absolutely. I don't like Barkley. I'm not a pro. I've missed on plenty of QB's coming out, and hit on plenty as well. Just an armchair guy without the knowledge the pros have. I'll trust WHOMEVER our new coach decides is the best QB in the draft.

Molitoth 01-02-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Wow, Cousins comes out and plays a few decent snaps and he's worth THAT now??? You are crazy man, just crazy.

I bet last year you would've had a meltdown if the chiefs picked cousins.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

ROFL

This just can't be serious.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9268315)
Wow, Cousins comes out and plays a few decent snaps and he's worth THAT now??? You are crazy man, just crazy.

Geno Smith isn't worth the #1 overall pick but the guy that was actually TAKEN with a 4th is worth almost HALF of our upcoming drafts.

ROFL

Mr. Flopnuts 01-02-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Congratulations! You've gotten off to one of the dumbest ****ing starts on this website so far this year. You're in some great company...

Prison Bitch 01-02-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9268315)

Not really a fair rebuttal here. By this logic, we would all be angry we traded up to get RGIII or took Russell Wilson when we had a chance. Which looking back, we would've gladly done either. A guy who's actually proven something in the NFL is worth far far more than a guy who's in this year's draft.

Cousins doesn't have an extensive track record but he's played in the League and shown, in limited time, he can play. We may decide to go another direction but Cousins has a lot of value right now especially given his low salary and low mileage. A deal for him would certainly cost us our #2 and #3 picks this year and that may not be enough for Washington to ship him off.

Pin Head 01-02-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9268321)
ROFL

This just can't be serious.

That's what it would take short of ransom Washington will use to extort for Cousins in order to make up for picks lost. That the Chiefs have no earthly idea whom at QB to select with the #1 overall is a very very ominous sign.

This 2013 crop looks more like Chad Pennington, Cade McNown, Weeden and Josh Freeman level prospects.

Buckweath 01-02-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narrow Head (Post 9268413)
That's what it would take short of ransom Washington will use to extort for Cousins in order to make up for picks lost. That the Chiefs have no earthly idea whom at QB to select with the #1 overall is a very very ominous sign.

This 2013 crop looks more like Chad Pennington, Cade McNown, Weeden and Josh Freeman level prospects.

Do you think cousins will be better in the NFL than Geno?

htismaqe 01-02-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

So let's give up HALF A DRAFT to draft a guy that's basically a carbon copy of Ricky Stanzi.

Brilliant!

htismaqe 01-02-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9268400)
Not really a fair rebuttal here. By this logic, we would all be angry we traded up to get RGIII or took Russell Wilson when we had a chance. Which looking back, we would've gladly done either. A guy who's actually proven something in the NFL is worth far far more than a guy who's in this year's draft.

Cousins doesn't have an extensive track record but he's played in the League and shown, in limited time, he can play. We may decide to go another direction but Cousins has a lot of value right now especially given his low salary and low mileage. A deal for him would certainly cost us our #2 and #3 picks this year and that may not be enough for Washington to ship him off.

What exactly has Cousins proven?

Jamarcus Russell put together a few good quarters, too. Matt Cassel put together a few good GAMES.

Want either one of them?

Molitoth 01-02-2013 12:52 PM

meanwhile instead of buying high and selling low (see Cassel, Grbac, Bono) we could be buying low and selling high when we draft Geno Smith and Tyler Bray.

CoMoChief 01-02-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 9268428)
Do you think cousins will be better in the NFL than Geno?

yes

Molitoth 01-02-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9268437)
So let's give up HALF A DRAFT to draft a guy that's basically a carbon copy of Ricky Stanzi.

Brilliant!

Exactly. I dunno how many times I saw the comparisons of Stanzi and Cousins coming out of college.

I will be the first to admit, I know very little of Stanzi other than he won a decent amount of games at Iowa, but I watched a lot of Cousins last year and he certainly doesn't look like a high ceiling type of guy. Hence he got drafted where he did.

This is not Russel Wilson who got looked over due to size. Wilson is an athletic mofo who was great at Wisconsin.

duncan_idaho 01-02-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Kirk Cousins has thrown fewer than 50 passes in the NFL as a rookie, just a year after he was a fourth-round pick. He only started one game this season, against the god-awful Cleveland Browns (against whom he was OK). His other experience came against defenses game-planned to defend the dual-threat capabilities of RG3.

Considering the likely asking price for Cousins, he carries incredible risk. More than drafting Geno Smith or Mike Glennon at No. 1. More than drafting Luke Joekel at No. 1 and hoping someone you want is still left at No. 33.

The Chiefs probably have 'no earthly idea' who to select for a number of reasons:

1) They currently have no head coach and no offense.
2) The GM situation is in upheaval
3) We're still months away from the draft, which means combines and interviews and pro days haven't been conducted yet.

If it was 3 days before the draft and the mess was still this jumbled, them having 'no earthly idea' might mean something. 3 months out, it means absolutely nothing.

HolyHat 01-02-2013 12:55 PM

This year has really exposed the crazies we have as fans...Cousins has 1 good game and all of a sudden he's ****ing Joe Montana. This is becoming pathetic

TEX 01-02-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9268460)
This year has really exposed the crazies we have as fans...Cousins has 1 good game and all of a sudden he's ****ing Joe Montana. This is becoming pathetic

Yep. And they're ALL experts.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9268453)
yes

ROFL

You must have skipped the paint chips and went straight the fishing sinkers, huh?

RealSNR 01-02-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Chad Pennington, Cade McNown, Weeden, and Josh Freeman were 4th rounders with terrible pocket presence and a weak arm?

The Skins are putting out the high price so someone will foolishly offer them a 1st rounder. They'll take the first deal like that they can get.

The team who trades for Cousins is getting Matt Cassel. Congrats! You just shat away another 4 NFL seasons!

htismaqe 01-02-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9268457)
Exactly. I dunno how many times I saw the comparisons of Stanzi and Cousins coming out of college.

I will be the first to admit, I know very little of Stanzi other than he won a decent amount of games at Iowa, but I watched a lot of Cousins last year and he certainly doesn't look like a high ceiling type of guy. Hence he got drafted where he did.

This is not Russel Wilson who got looked over due to size. Wilson is an athletic mofo who was great at Wisconsin.

Both Stanzi and Cousins were game managers that played in run-heavy playaction offenses and supported by excellent defenses. Nearly identical in every way.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9268458)
Kirk Cousins has thrown fewer than 50 passes in the NFL as a rookie, just a year after he was a fourth-round pick. He only started one game this season, against the god-awful Cleveland Browns (against whom he was OK). His other experience came against defenses game-planned to defend the dual-threat capabilities of RG3.

Considering the likely asking price for Cousins, he carries incredible risk. More than drafting Geno Smith or Mike Glennon at No. 1. More than drafting Luke Joekel at No. 1 and hoping someone you want is still left at No. 33.

The Chiefs probably have 'no earthly idea' who to select for a number of reasons:

1) They currently have no head coach and no offense.
2) The GM situation is in upheaval
3) We're still months away from the draft, which means combines and interviews and pro days haven't been conducted yet.

If it was 3 days before the draft and the mess was still this jumbled, them having 'no earthly idea' might mean something. 3 months out, it means absolutely nothing.

I gotta go give someone else some rep first.

duncan_idaho 01-02-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9268457)

I love Google. Here's a sample what was said about Cousins JUST a year ago. Has he done ANYTHING to disprove this (No, the answer is NO).

From NFL.com
He is an accurate and safe thrower who knows how to pick his spots. He is a good athlete who can make plays on the run, but is not going to run past many NFL defenders. A safe pick as a backup option.

Cousins is widely considered to be a game manager type at the next level. He makes good decisions with the ball but has not shown he can make the flash plays to move the offense and win games for his team at the next level. He will need talent around him to succeed, which limits his value.

From ProFootballWeekly
Has a narrow frame susceptible to taking a pounding. Can be too cerebral and mechanical with his reads. Has displayed a tendency to overthink the game, resulting in holding the ball too long. Average ball velocity — ball will flutter and appear to die outside the numbers if he cannot step into it. Lacks ideal arm talent to rip it deep. Not a scrambler and cannot improvise or create many plays when the pocket moves. Many throws are simple and predetermined.
Summary:

Has the intangibles and intelligence to develop into a highly efficient, dink-and-dunk, rhythm passer. Resemblance to 49ers QB Alex Smith and must continue developing physically to survive the toll of an NFL season. Could thrive with crisp coaching and confidence-building play-calling in a precision passing game such as that of the Texans, Redskins, Patriots or 49ers.

ChiefRocka 01-02-2013 01:01 PM

I still cant believe Stanzi didn't play this year

Imon Yourside 01-02-2013 01:01 PM

Anyone suggesting we trade for Cousins is probably one of Pioli's bestest friends.

Molitoth 01-02-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9268480)
I gotta go give someone else some rep first.

Go rep me for post #163. :)

Imon Yourside 01-02-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 9268487)
I still cant believe Stanzi didn't play this year

Oh he played, did you watch the preseason meltdown?

Molitoth 01-02-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9268495)
Oh he played, did you watch the preseason meltdown?

Was he expected to rape in a vanilla offense playing with third stringers, brian daboll, and romeo crennel speeches?

Prison Bitch 01-02-2013 01:04 PM

I'm sure the coaches saw Stanzi plenty in practice, and didn't feel like he was any better than the alternatives. Which says a lot about Stanzi.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9268482)
Resemblance to 49ers QB Alex Smith

He's perfect!

htismaqe 01-02-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9268512)
I'm sure the coaches saw Stanzi plenty in practice, and didn't feel like he was any better than the alternatives. Which says a lot about Stanzi.

The fact that we had Cassel for 4 years says a lot more about the coaches than it does about Stanzi.

Molitoth 01-02-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Stanzi was not a great prospect coming out, so I don't expect him to be any good. That said, I don't trust the chiefs coaching staff on talent evaluation.

We all know Cassel was forced as the starter. That says enough right there.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9268533)
Stanzi was not a great prospect coming out, so I don't expect him to be any good. That said, I don't trust the chiefs coaching staff on talent evaluation.

We all know Cassel was forced as the starter. That says enough right there.

This.

whoman69 01-02-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

I saw plenty of Cassel and Quinn in actual game action with the first team and they looked worse than Stanzi ever did with the third team with only 20% of the offense installed. The only coaches that saw Stanzi in practice were the defensive coaches who watched him work with the scout team against their players.

Dave Lane 01-02-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9268327)
Congratulations! You've gotten off to one of the dumbest ****ing starts on this website so far this year. You're in some great company...

I'm certain he and Blackbob are somehow related.

Dave Lane 01-02-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9268453)
yes

Absolute proof, without an equivocation, that Geno Smith is headed to the Hall.

ToxSocks 01-02-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9268599)
The only coaches that saw Stanzi in practice were the defensive coaches who watched him work with the scout team against their players.

Riiiiiiiiight

Prison Bitch 01-02-2013 01:26 PM

I've learned after watching sports for over 30 years that the backup is usually a backup for a reason.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-02-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9263750)
Alex Smith v2.0

BOO! SUCK! YOU!

DomerNKC 01-02-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9264706)
At this time last year, I would bet people here has seen TEN TIMES the number of games of Robert Griffin than they have of Geno now.

This fanbase knew RG3 MUCH BETTER because he played in the Big 12.

So at the end of the day, the only objective comparison is to look at what guys like Kiper and McShay had to say. On their boards, he was NOT 2. He wasn't even TEN.

As for the "infuriates" comment, nobody gets infuriated when you put up a legit criticism like you just did there. What is infuriating is people repeating misinformation over and over.

i am sorry, which conference is West Virginia in again?

htismaqe 01-02-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomerNKC (Post 9268947)
i am sorry, which conference is West Virginia in again?

And how long have they been in that conference?

Dumbass.

Pin Head 01-02-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9268437)

Brilliant!

If I'm GM, I call up Gene Smiths replacement and offer him Tamba Hali for the first pick in round 2. Then I take Jarvis Jones or Moore with the 1st overall pick, take the BPA at QB and WR with the first two picks of round 2 or use them to trade down to get more picks. Those early round 2 picks should be very valuable. So now I have cap room to resign Bowe and Albert's, got value with the 1st overall pick and given some nice value or trading chips in round 2 of a good draft(outside of QB and RB of course.)

Molitoth 01-02-2013 03:02 PM

At this point I think you're just trolling.

O.city 01-02-2013 03:03 PM

Only players who are sure fire HOF'ers are worth the first overall pick, Right?

Sorter 01-02-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narrow Head (Post 9269132)
If I'm GM, I call up Gene Smiths replacement and offer him Tamba Hali for the first pick in round 2. Then I take Jarvis Jones or Moore with the 1st overall pick, take the BPA at QB and WR with the first two picks of round 2 or use them to trade down to get more picks. Those early round 2 picks should be very valuable. So now I have cap room to resign Bowe and Albert's, got value with the 1st overall pick and given some nice value or trading chips in round 2 of a good draft(outside of QB and RB of course.)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls4q9h1RFZ1r09379.gif

Deberg_1990 01-02-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9269156)
Only players who are sure fire HOF'ers are worth the first overall pick, Right?

Drew Bledsoe says yes!

whoman69 01-02-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

cap room is not going to be an issue

RealSNR 01-02-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Let us know how your Madden franchise goes. I hope you win the Super Bowl with them

Steron 01-02-2013 03:43 PM

Just read his pro comparison is Jason Mother****ing Campbell. I don't buy it, but it's what the article said.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000121092/article/geno-smith-matt-barkley-headline-2013-nfl-draft-quarterbacks

FlaChief58 01-02-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Wow, just wow :facepalm:

duncan_idaho 01-02-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 9269373)
Just read his pro comparison is Jason Mother****ing Campbell. I don't buy it, but it's what the article said.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000121092/article/geno-smith-matt-barkley-headline-2013-nfl-draft-quarterbacks

I think that's a joke comparison.

Campbell played in a run-dominated offense and never displayed the downfield accuracy or short-range touch that Smith has.

Pin Head 01-02-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9269334)
cap room is not going to be an issue

I've also read that T Jackson is due something like $14m next year? If so, he'll be cut unless he renegotiates his deal. He's going receive a ton of interest in UFA so I'm assuming that his agent will tell him to test the open market if we come calling to rengotiate that deal.

Sorter 01-02-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narrow Head (Post 9269398)
I've also read that T Jackson is due something like $14m next year? If so, he'll be cut unless he renegotiates his deal. He's going receive a ton of interest in UFA so I'm assuming that his agent will tell him to test the open market if we come calling to rengotiate that deal.

http://www.pohrani.com/f/1r/bl/3h5Fg...7063883624.gif

Rugby Thompson 01-02-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9269361)
Let us know how your Madden franchise goes. I hope you win the Super Bowl with them

lmfao

Rugby Thompson 01-02-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

are you smoking meth

ChiefsFanatic 01-02-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel Goat (Post 9264421)
Jason Campbell threw for 45 TDs and 25 INTs during his college career.

Geno only threw for three fewer TDs in this year alone while keeping his INTs at 6 for the year.

Do you want Geno's college career stats? 98 TDs with only 21 INTs.

Yep. Great comparison...

Didn't David Klingler and Andre Ware have like a billion touchdown passes in college? Stats like this mean nothing. How many TD passes did Tom Brady have in college?

I have no idea if Geno Smith will be a Brady or a Ware, but using stats from college really don't mean anything.

Pin Head 01-02-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9269361)

:) I know you want a QB and trust, I get that. You'll be thanking your lucky stars that we're going to use the #1 overall and overdraft 20 slots on Geno instead of future All Pro's JJones, Star L, T'eo. QB and HC really are our two biggest shortcomings. But they are not the ony two. The Chief's weaknesses clearly starts at HC and QB. But the next tier of problems comes in at WR (all of them assuming Bowe leaves in UFA)

Chiefs have not one single guy that can consistently get himsef open with quickness, agil and accurate at running routes. CHiefs have no receiver with straight line speed or with jumping ability.

Sorter 01-02-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narrow Head (Post 9269493)
:) I know you want a QB and trust, I get that. You'll be thanking your lucky stars that we're going to use the #1 overall and overdraft 20 slots on Geno instead of future All Pro's JJones, Star L, T'eo. QB and HC really are our two biggest shortcomings. But they are not the ony two. The Chief's weaknesses clearly starts at HC and QB. But the next tier of problems comes in at WR (all of them assuming Bowe leaves in UFA)

Chiefs have not one single guy that can consistently get himsef open with quickness, agil and accurate at running routes. CHiefs have no receiver with straight line speed or with jumping ability.

Wut?

Pin Head 01-02-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9269506)
Wut?

Maybe ARenas will run a more vertical passing attack next year with Geno...he goes through his progressions awfully slow. That rules out a WCO coach. But now we're back to needing deep threat WR's. We won't have any of those.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

So you're going to trade a KNOWN quantity, playing at a Pro Bowl level, for potential.

Yeah, your username is apt.

Pin Head 01-02-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9269561)
So you're going to trade a KNOWN quantity, playing at a Pro Bowl level, for potential.

Yeah, your username is apt.

Perhaps we use a 2nd round pick on one of Geno's WR's from WV. That's another tough sell.

duncan_idaho 01-02-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

I would personally help Tyson Jackson's overrated, overdrafted a$$ move to whatever city claims the team dumb enough to dump money on him.

The Chiefs have plenty of cap room. $100 million under it, combined, over the past 4 years (i.e. The Pioli Disaster). It isn't going to be a problem, and Tyson Jackson certainly isn't going to bust the cap.

Worrying about not having cap room to keep Tyson Jackson is about like worrying about not having a condom to f*** Roseanne Barr.

bevischief 01-02-2013 04:44 PM

This will not end well for you...

duncan_idaho 01-02-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narrow Head (Post 9269493)

One of those three is a future all-pro at an impact position.

One other is a space eating DT (who is only slightly separated from a plethora of other stud DTs and therefore ALSO an overdraft).

The last is a physically underwhelming, try-hard guy at a non-impact position. He probably will make some Pro Bowls based on his name and pedigree alone (cough... Eric Berry ... cough), but I will be shocked if Te'o is ever considered a "huge impact guy" anywhere outside a Mormon mission.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 04:51 PM

Manti Te'o is now a future All-Pro?

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Pin Head 01-02-2013 05:03 PM

We need an entirely new set of WR's...Baldwin and Co don't have it. Losing Bowe would hurt badly.

Austin Ed 01-02-2013 05:03 PM

Interesting stats for Geno versus that powerhouse Syracuse defense. 18 of 24 for 187 with 59 of the 187 being pure YAC on a single play. WV zero for 9 on third down and zero for two on fourth. Lost fumble. Two safeties with one on an intentional grounding call. Lots of scowls and funny faces though. The snow affected his play and, as we know, it never snows in KC or Denver. Sounds like there can be no question in anybody's mind. Everyone has to agree that Geno is the number one pick off the board. If you disagree, you must be a complete football dipshit.

seamonster 01-02-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narrow Head (Post 9269585)
Perhaps we use a 2nd round pick on one of Geno's WR's from WV. That's another tough sell.

I'd rather have some of those receivers than the quarterback from WVU. Taking a smaller, slower quarterback like Geno could freeze the defenses if he's got mike wallace like speed at receiver to go with charles in the backfield. If there's one thing about Geno that transcends this crop of quarterbacks it's making big plays with the deep ball and track star receivers.

And just go ahead and cut baldwin.

duncan_idaho 01-02-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seamonster (Post 9269737)
I'd rather have some of those receivers than the quarterback from WVU. Taking a smaller, slower quarterback like Geno could freeze the defenses if he's got mike wallace like speed at receiver to go with charles in the backfield. If there's one thing about Geno that transcends this crop of quarterbacks it's making big plays with the deep ball and track star receivers.

And just go ahead and cut baldwin.

What are you talking about? Smaller and slower than whom?

Yeah, he's smaller and slower than Cam Newton. But Smith has good size (6-3, 215) and moves very well in the pocket (Better than Glennon, Wilson, Nassib, Bray, Barkley, and Landry Jones).

The only top QBs who really move as well as Smith are Tahj Boyd (who is nowhere close to the passer Smith is) and Aaron Murray (who might or might not be coming out).

Pasta Little Brioni 01-02-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin Ed (Post 9269706)
Interesting stats for Geno versus that powerhouse Syracuse defense. 18 of 24 for 187 with 59 of the 187 being pure YAC on a single play. WV zero for 9 on third down and zero for two on fourth. Lost fumble. Two safeties with one on an intentional grounding call. Lots of scowls and funny faces though. The snow affected his play and, as we know, it never snows in KC or Denver. Sounds like there can be no question in anybody's mind. Everyone has to agree that Geno is the number one pick off the board. If you disagree, you must be a complete football dipshit.

West Virginia was one of the best teams in the country on 3rd down all season, but please use all the statistical outliners your little heart desires. We feel he is the best because we have RESEARCHED, WATCHED, AND ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THE **** WE ARE SEEING.

ROYC75 01-02-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9269653)
Manti Te'o is now a future All-Pro?

ROFL ROFL ROFL

All Pro what?

Ass wiper?