ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Pacific Rim (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267168)

Pants 07-03-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9791035)
Hollywood doesn't use high quality animatronics anymore like Jurassic Park's utilization of it.

Today's CGI looks way better anyway.

Rausch 07-04-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9791035)
Hollywood doesn't use high quality animatronics anymore like Jurassic Park's utilization of it.

They were used in this film...

keg in kc 07-04-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9792417)
They were used in this film...

Yep, lots of practical effects in this one. They just don't use men in suits for the monsters and robots.

keg in kc 07-07-2013 03:29 PM

Pretty fun flash game: http://jaegercombatsimulator.pacificrimmovie.com/

sd4chiefs 07-07-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9789421)
CGI: how to ruin a monster movie

It's a much better movie when it's some guy dressed in a rubber monster suit.

Deberg_1990 07-07-2013 04:51 PM

Can't believe reviews for this are still embargoed? You would think WB would want to get the word out early its a good flick. If you read between the lines on some of the tweets, you can tell the geeks were ecstatic about it, yet can't publish their full reviews yet. WTF WB?

keg in kc 07-07-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9797178)
Can't believe reviews for this are still embargoed? You would think WB would want to get the word out early its a good flick. If you read between the lines on some of the tweets, you can tell the geeks were ecstatic about it, yet can't publish their full reviews yet. WTF WB?

They did the same thing for Man of Steel.

Deberg_1990 07-07-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9797183)
They did the same thing for Man of Steel.

Yea, but that was an already established property and awareness was high. This, not so much.....

keg in kc 07-07-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9797191)
Yea, but that was an already established property and awareness was high. This, not so much.....

It's a marketing approach. They're backloading everything. It looks like they believe that the kind of people who are going to see a movie like this have already decided that they will, so they don't have anything to gain with that core group. And the wider moviegoing audience tends to be the kind of people that won't decide what they're seeing next week until the time comes. So they try to get them excited next week. It seems to have worked with MoS (went over 280 million domestic this weekend despite the love/hate reception from critics). We'll see if it works for Pacific Rim.

I hope it does, because I'd like to see more original concepts...

Deberg_1990 07-07-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9797249)
It's a marketing approach. They're backloading everything. It looks like they believe that the kind of people who are going to see a movie like this have already decided that they will, so they don't have anything to gain with that core group. And the wider moviegoing audience tends to be the kind of people that won't decide what they're seeing next week until the time comes. So they try to get them excited next week. It seems to have worked with MoS (went over 280 million domestic this weekend despite the love/hate reception from critics). We'll see if it works for Pacific Rim.

Yea, I hope it does too. I'd hate to see this flop, but who's knows? I think it has limited family, older adults and female appeal. My son and I are excited for it though.....

keg in kc 07-07-2013 05:40 PM

Everything I've heard about the film is that there's a lot more to it than kaiju fighting jaegars. Unfortunately I think the way that they've marketed it so far makes it look like it might have limited family and female appeal. We'll see if they do anything to change that perception in the next week.

(Of course I also think it's a misperception that females aren't drawn to science fiction. Many aren't. But many are.)

Setsuna 07-07-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9797290)
Everything I've heard about the film is that there's a lot more to it than kaiju fighting jaegars. Unfortunately I think the way that they've marketed it so far makes it look like it might have limited family and female appeal. We'll see if they do anything to change that perception in the next week.

(Of course I also think it's a misperception that females aren't drawn to science fiction. Many aren't. But many are.)

I've never heard of such an expression.

KC_Lee 07-08-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9797290)

Interested in seeing how Pacific Rim alter the standard kaiju movie formula reagarding the actual kaiju. You know the old; kaiju introduced, first large entecounter with kaiju, final major battle of kaiju. Basically the same formula since the original Godzilla.

keg in kc 07-08-2013 03:37 PM

Reviews are hitting: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pacific_rim_2013/

75% fresh right now. It's reading a lot like the Man of Steel reactions. Geek reviewers love it. "Film" reviewers not as much.

Great Expectations 07-08-2013 03:50 PM

Rotten Tomatoes is going the way of imdb with their reviews. It isn't that bad yet, but it definitely isn't as good/reliable as it was 3 years ago. What are some other review sites that are available?

Imon Yourside 07-08-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9798982)

75% fresh right now. It's reading a lot like the Man of Steel reactions. Geek reviewers love it. "Film" reviewers not as much.

Kewl, Loved man of steel so I can go see this and expect greatness.

Sure-Oz 07-08-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9798982)

Good to hear so far...i just hope it isnt bad.

I also use metacritic.com as a review site but dont entirely depend on them to see a movie.

Deberg_1990 07-08-2013 04:31 PM

Geek reviewers go way over the top sometimes....."it's life changing". ROFL

I expect it to be a fun ride though......I like Del Toro a lot.

Rausch 07-08-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

At WonderCon 2013, del Toro expressed enthusiasm for a potential crossover between Pacific Rim and Godzilla – another Legendary Pictures kaiju film – but stressed that no such plans were in place.[80]

https://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/...9123670213.gif

JD10367 07-08-2013 06:55 PM

The 3D trailer for this film, in my IMAX theater, is hard-on inducing. This film was born for the big screen.

I plan on seeing it as soon as the key is active... probably either midnight on Wednesday or around 5:00am on Thursday.

jiveturkey 07-09-2013 09:39 AM

According to my Flixster app it's sitting at 82% with the critics and 98% with audiences (40k ratings).

JD10367 07-09-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9797249)

I think this film will do surprisingly well, at least this weekend. And I think "Grown Ups 2" is going to go directly into the shitter.

"Pacific Rim" has no sci-fi OR action/adventure competition at the moment, since "Lone Ranger" tanked. With kids' films currently ruling the B.O. ("Monsters U.", "Despicable Me 2"), the adults who haven't seen anything since "Man Of Steel" and "Iron Man 3" will come out for this film.

"Grown Ups 2", on the other hand, will suffer from following other comedies these past weeks which have done well ("The Heat", "Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain", "This Is The End").

Next week is a different story, though. "Pacific Rim", in its second week out, will face stiff competition across the board: an action-adventure ("Red 2"), a sci-fi film ("R.I.P.D."), a horror film ("The Conjuring"), and another kids' film ("Turbo"). That will suck a lot of audience away, especially "R.I.P.D.", so how far "Pacific Rim" drops will be a true indicator of how well it's going to do overall.

I have no idea what the production budget was, though. They seem to be keeping that hush-hush for the moment. If the thing had a bloated production budget it might have a problem recouping. I think a disappointing take would be $100M, a realistic take would be $200M, and a good take would be $250M. Again, though, like "Man Of Steel" and "STID", the overseas haul will make quite a difference and this film has great overseas potential.

keg in kc 07-09-2013 11:28 AM

What would be nice one of these days would be to see a non-kid non-sequel original IP movie with a domestic opening like Despicable Me 2 had. It isn't going to happen with Pacific Rim though, I don't imagine.

People complain about studios all the time, but I think the problem is actually the moviegoing audience. If more people went to smarter movies, we'd see more smarter movies. Instead we get what we get.

Deberg_1990 07-09-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9800775)
I think this film will do surprisingly well, at least this weekend. And I think "Grown Ups 2" is going to go directly into the shitter.

Grown Ups 1 was a pretty big hit. I suspect it will open well. Although, the last few Sandler films have not done well.
Posted via Mobile Device

KC_Lee 07-09-2013 01:02 PM

First review I have seen. It's fairly long and I am still reading the whole review. Might be a spoiler or two, nothing too bad though.

http://badassdigest.com/2013/07/08/p...ng-the-summer/

Final quote from the review;
Quote:

Pacific Rim is a movie about that is, thrillingly, upliftingly about that. And it also has giant mechs punching the s**t out of giant monsters. This is what blockbuster movies should be.

keg in kc 07-09-2013 01:44 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X6BU_ElYSkQ?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sure-Oz 07-09-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9801014)
Grown Ups 1 was a pretty big hit. I suspect it will open well. Although, the last few Sandler films have not done well.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's been a long time since an Adam Sandler movie was any good. I think the last flick of his i somewhat liked was Click.

Deberg_1990 07-09-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9801545)
It's been a long time since an Adam Sandler movie was any good. I think the last flick of his i somewhat liked was Click.

Depends on what you mean by good? Most of his movies are pretty shoddily made as movies. But they are funny, most of them. But comedy is highly subjective
Posted via Mobile Device

Pants 07-09-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9801642)
Depends on what you mean by good? Most of his movies are pretty shoddily made as movies. But they are funny, most of them. But comedy is highly subjective
Posted via Mobile Device

Funny People was pretty good, I thought.

Hammock Parties 07-09-2013 06:54 PM

33 fresh, 7 rotten so far

It's a hit.

KcMizzou 07-09-2013 07:11 PM

I've been looking forward to this for a long time. I love Del Torro, and I was a huge Godzilla fan as a little kid. Always loved the giant monster movies. Hell, as an adult I even dug Cloverfield.

KC_Lee 07-09-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9801955)
I've been looking forward to this for a long time. I love Del Torro, and I was a huge Godzilla fan as a little kid. Always loved the giant monster movies. Hell, as an adult I even dug Cloverfield.

Same here, huge Godzilla & Gamera fan as a kid. I remember watching Sci Fi theater on channel 5 on Saturdays hoping it was going to be Godzilla, Rodan or Gamera movie.

Prior to my house getting flooded in 2010 I owned almost every Godzilla movie (even the ones Toho made in the 90's and early 2000's) and most of the Gamera movies too. Even had a couple of lesser / knockoff giant monster movies like Gorgo (an under rated classic) and Gappa: The Triphibian Monster.

I really wanted to like Cloverfield, but it was so deriviative of so many prior movies I really could not get past it.

Fish 07-09-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9801545)

Does Hotel Transylvania count? Sandler voiced the lead and was also an exec producer. And I thought that movie was very good.

Deberg_1990 07-09-2013 09:25 PM

Heh, used to love watching the old Godzilla movies on KCTV5 back in the day. They used to have special weeks in the afternoons. I remember rushing home from school to watch those.

TNT channel used to show them alot in the 90s on Joe Bob Briggs show.
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc 07-09-2013 09:27 PM

I remember watching them on TBS I think.

KcMizzou 07-09-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 9802116)
Same here, huge Godzilla & Gamera fan as a kid. I remember watching Sci Fi theater on channel 5 on Saturdays hoping it was going to be Godzilla, Rodan or Gamera movie.

Prior to my house getting flooded in 2010 I owned almost every Godzilla movie (even the ones Toho made in the 90's and early 2000's) and most of the Gamera movies too. Even had a couple of lesser / knockoff giant monster movies like Gorgo (an under rated classic) and Gappa: The Triphibian Monster.

I really wanted to like Cloverfield, but it was so deriviative of so many prior movies I really could not get past it.

Seemed like it was always Godzilla movies, or Planet of the Apes. (Maybe that's just what I remember.)

KcMizzou 07-09-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9802334)
Heh, used to love watching the old Godzilla movies on KCTV5 back in the day. They used to have special weeks in the afternoons. I remember rushing home from school to watch those.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yup!

Deberg_1990 07-09-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9802357)
Yup!

oh yea!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xxBRwceJM_8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rausch 07-10-2013 02:22 AM

Going to see this Mon or Tues.

Rausch 07-10-2013 02:38 PM

Just wasting days until this comes out...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_H3iv8T9SfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1722LFAr894" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Setsuna 07-10-2013 03:45 PM

Comes out tomorrow as a special showing I think. I'll wait till Friday or next Friday.

Deberg_1990 07-10-2013 04:25 PM

Looks like it starts showing at 7PM in my area tomorrow
Posted via Mobile Device

KC_Lee 07-10-2013 04:26 PM

Going to catch the Sunday morning matinee.

007 07-10-2013 05:05 PM

This movie looks dumb as hell. Guess I'll wait and see what you all think of it.

keg in kc 07-10-2013 09:39 PM

Just saw it. For free!

I would have to say mild disappointment. Probably expected too much going in, and it wasn't a bad movie, but there were a lot of little issues. The combat was great in theory, there was weight to both the jaegars and the kaiju, but all the shots were really tight and really quick-cut, which made the combat sequences hard to follow. Plus all the fights were at night, which didn't help.

And I didn't like the score.

Characters were interesting if cut-outs. I think it would have been better if we'd been able to spend a little more time getting to know them. There's no real impact when people die because of it, so moments don't hit as hard as they should.

That said I liked it, and I'm going to see it again this weekend, and in 3d. I do want to support the flick, as an original concept, and I do like the world they set up.

In the end, not bad, but not amazing either. Visually impressive, though.

Tribal Warfare 07-10-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9803730)
Looks like it starts showing at 7PM in my area tomorrow
Posted via Mobile Device

3D showing is on at 10PM here where I live

Deberg_1990 07-10-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9804477)
Just saw it. For free!

WTF?

Hammock Parties 07-10-2013 09:57 PM

Better or worse than Cloverfield?

keg in kc 07-10-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9804513)
Better or worse than Cloverfield?

Better, no question there.

keg in kc 07-10-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9804497)
WTF?

Friend called me up about 4:45 for a 7 pm screening in Merriam, sponsored by one of the KC radio stations.

Anyong Bluth 07-11-2013 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9804518)
Friend called me up about 4:45 for a 7 pm screening in Merriam, sponsored by one of the KC radio stations.

That or check out GoFoBo.com

In Chicago, it's slim pickings to get the sneak preview passes just because of the sheer volume of people, but in KC I could get sneak preview passes about 80% of the time, and these days almost every movie does these sneak preview promotional events. Shows almost always start at 7 or 7:30 and you get to see the film anywhere between 2 days to 3 weeks before it's released.

JD10367 07-11-2013 05:24 AM

"Pacific Rim" is a guilty pleasure where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. And it was born for IMAX 3D. A summarily-flawed yet enjoyable film, being compared to "Transformers" but closer to "Armageddon" yet with a bit of "Blade Runner"-ish "this film may be more appreciated 10 years from now than today".

JD10367 07-11-2013 05:39 AM

The bad:

Frenetic hard-to-follow action
Cookie cutter characters except for the Asian chick
Not enough robot/monster fighting
Obvious plot
Poor narrative (could've used better editing)
The annoying scientist dude

The good:

Idris Elba
The Asian chick is hot
The visual style of the robots and monsters
The visual style of future Hong Kong
The grandeur and 3D in IMAX
At least it's a new take on something

Better than the curious mishmash of "Iron Man 3", more original than the plot of "Star Trek Into Darkness", and no 'baggage' like "Man Of Steel" (no ideals to live up to). Could've been better with some different storytelling choices but, even as is, earns enough points to warrant appreciation. You can tell, despite the big-budget nature, this film was done with love and admiration for giant monster movies moreso than "let's make a cash-cow summer blockbuster" (I'm talking to you, Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer).

mr. tegu 07-12-2013 05:40 PM

We just went and saw this. All in all it was a fun movie that is definitely worth seeing. If you are only going to see it once you are much better off going to the movies for the big screen than you are to wait and rent it. It had its plot issues but it was a fun ride.

Jerm 07-12-2013 09:18 PM

Awesome, awesome movie...loved it.

Deberg_1990 07-12-2013 09:37 PM

Just saw it with my son. I mostly enjoyed it. The pure world building was phenomenal. I loved how everything had that worn down, lived in look. The Hong Kong battle was pure dynamite. I did feel like it was missing an action beat in the middle 3rd somewhere? Seemed like alot of buildup, then two outstanding action battles. You can tell it was made with a lot of love and affection though. Good flick, I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Oh, and this is too quirky to catch on with mainstream audiences and women.

Man of Steel remains my top film this summer.

Imon Yourside 07-13-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9808314)
Just saw it with my son. I mostly enjoyed it. The pure world building was phenomenal. I loved how everything had that worn down, lived in look. The Hong Kong battle was pure dynamite. I did feel like it was missing an action beat in the middle 3rd somewhere? Seemed like alot of buildup, then two outstanding action battles. You can tell it was made with a lot of love and affection though. Good flick, I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Oh, and this is too quirky to catch on with mainstream audiences and women.

Man of Steel remains my top film this summer.

Sounds good, sure I'll love it and I agree Man of Steel was great.

Pablo 07-13-2013 10:29 AM

Saw it last night. It has some obvious plot holes and weak dialogue; but it was still an enjoyable movie overall. The CGI is pretty awesome.

I'd recommend it if you don't go in with too many expectations. Just turn your brain off and enjoy.

Imon Yourside 07-13-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9808742)
Saw it last night. It has some obvious plot holes and weak dialogue; but it was still an enjoyable movie overall. The CGI is pretty awesome.

I'd recommend it if you don't go in with too many expectations. Just turn your brain off and enjoy.

If it recaptures the spirit of the old Monster movies, I'll be satisfied.

Valiant 07-13-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9808795)
If it recaptures the spirit of the old Monster movies, I'll be satisfied.

It expands them.

Most enjoyable movie of the year. Sure it had problems. But none of them had to do with the m9nsters and jeagers. Great guys movie.

The two sequels shall be great. Excited to see what happens.

Rausch 07-13-2013 11:44 AM

Question for anyone who's already watched it: why is it PG13 and what happens that you wouldn't want a child under 13 to see?

Me and my brother plan to go monday with his 6 year old. Other than sexual content I doubt much will stick with him other than big monster fights.

Is there anything I should be worried about?....

SuperChief 07-13-2013 11:45 AM

Is this a "should definitely see it in 3D" or "it doesn't really matter either way" kind of thing?

Rausch 07-13-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 9808883)
Is this a "should definitely see it in 3D" or "it doesn't really matter either way" kind of thing?

http://images.wikia.com/thehungergam...ly-d4gf582.gif

This is a popcorn movie! This isn't the ****ing notebook!

Take yer' scrote back for 1.34 hours and remember what it was like to be masculine before you had to ask if you could change the channel...

Deberg_1990 07-13-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9808882)
Question for anyone who's already watched it: why is it PG13 and what happens that you wouldn't want a child under 13 to see?

Me and my brother plan to go monday with his 6 year old. Other than sexual content I doubt much will stick with him other than big monster fights.

Is there anything I should be worried about?....

There really isn't any sexual contact. I don't even think the leads ever kissed?

It does have a few curse words like god damn, hell, bitch, but nothing overly excessive. Here is a great website I use a lot. Very detailed.

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movi...ws/pacific-rim

Rausch 07-13-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9808890)

It does have a few curse words like god damn, hell, bitch, but nothing overly excessive.

They're use to worse than that.

So it's just smashed buildings and some 4 letter words?

Deberg_1990 07-13-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9808895)
They're use to worse than that.

So it's just smashed buildings and some 4 letter words?

Yes. No sh*t or f bombs that I can remember? Oh, and some blue gore from the monsters. Very little blood.
Posted via Mobile Device

unlurking 07-13-2013 02:58 PM

Loved it. Saw it this morning in IMAX 3D. Vibrations from the bass were timed very well with the crumbling buildings and whatnot. Easily beats out Iron Man 3 and Star Trek ID for me. Definitely a popcorn flick, but it's an absolute blast. Made me feel like a kid again.

unlurking 07-13-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9808963)
Yes. No sh*t or f bombs that I can remember? Oh, and some blue gore from the monsters. Very little blood.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, not much objectionable content from the sex/language perspective.

Very violent, but in a very fake way. Still, awfully dark though. I could see it causing nightmares in smaller children. Even as a kid, monster movies were incredibly fake and non-threatening. These I can see being more realistic and frightening for kids.

I'd actually be more worried about hearing damage for kids. Maybe it was just the place we went, but it was awfully loud. At a couple spots I was debating the comfort active earphones would have provided versus the loss of directional audio.

keg in kc 07-13-2013 03:50 PM

I think the son of the aussie guy said shit once, but that's all I can remember.

That dude was a character I could've done without. Or at least the cliche competitive storyline between him and hunnam.

As far as being loud, yep. It was incredibly loud when I saw it Wednesday.

Still going to see it again in IMAX 3D, though.

Deberg_1990 07-13-2013 05:21 PM

They spent alot of the middle section of the movie cutting away to Charlie Days nerd character. I could have used less of him and 1 or 2 more Monsters Vs. Robot fights.

Always welcome to see Ron Perlman on screen. I almost wished there would have been a scene with him and Hunman though.

Deberg_1990 07-13-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9809220)

I'd actually be more worried about hearing damage for kids. Maybe it was just the place we went, but it was awfully loud. At a couple spots I was debating the comfort active earphones would have provided versus the loss of directional audio.

yea, movie sound can vary wildly from one movie to another. Not just the sound mix, but some theaters have sound cranked way up and some dial it down a notch. I can remember the three most uncomfortable movies in a theater i have ever heard. War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise,The Fifth Element with Bruce Willis and Marvels Thor. The sound levels were waay over cranked, and dang near hurt my ears.

Anyong Bluth 07-13-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9809210)
Loved it. Saw it this morning in IMAX 3D. Vibrations from the bass were timed very well with the crumbling buildings and whatnot. Easily beats out Iron Man 3 and Star Trek ID for me. Definitely a popcorn flick, but it's an absolute blast. Made me feel like a kid again.

I'll pony up for the IMAX 3D from time to time when it's warranted, and I think this movie is one that fits that consideration! Plus, the Navy Pier IMAX is a true IMAX and totally awesome!

I first saw Avatar there and then saw it again in KC at one of AMC's IMAX with my parents when back home visiting, and the difference was astounding. I was so annoyed with the dropoff in presentation quality that I wanted to leave the theatre. I would have if I wasn't with family, which they had not seen the movie yet.

Deberg_1990 07-13-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 9809538)
I'll pony up for the IMAX 3D from time to time when it's warranted, and I think this movie is one that fits that consideration! Plus, the Navy Pier IMAX is a true IMAX and totally awesome!

I first saw Avatar there and then saw it again in KC at one of AMC's IMAX with my parents when back home visiting, and the difference was astounding. I was so annoyed with the dropoff in presentation quality that I wanted to leave the theatre. I would have if I wasn't with family, which they had not seen the movie yet.

Yea, AMC have alot of "LiMax" theaters. They are still pretty nice...slightly bigger screen and good sound......but it isn't true IMAX.
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc 07-13-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9809459)
They spent alot of the middle section of the movie cutting away to Charlie Days nerd character.

Yeah, there was a bit much with him and Burn Gorman.

unlurking 07-13-2013 07:05 PM

Yeah, even with the sound levels, I'm still considering seeing this one again in IMAX. Haven't seen the same movie in a theater twice since I was a kid.

Maybe I was the only one that liked Charlie Day? Actually think he and Perlman could have built up some good chemistry. Wonder if Charlie will give him back his shoe?

Might be just me, but in once seen things moved so fast I'm not sure if I saw what I think I saw...

Spoiler!

tk13 07-13-2013 07:57 PM

The sheer scale of this movie is massive. If you can see it in IMAX 3D, you should. And I usually hate 3D.

The story isn't going to reinvent the wheel... but it's not 2 solid hours of Bayplosions either. Seemed like a lot of people thought this would be Godzilla + Transformers... but I almost think it's more Top Gun + Independence Day. Not sure how the experience will transfer to a DVD at home but at the theater it was fun to watch.

Anyong Bluth 07-13-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9809550)
Yea, AMC have alot of "LiMax" theaters. They are still pretty nice...slightly bigger screen and good sound......but it isn't true IMAX.
Posted via Mobile Device

The LiMax theaters blow. I will give them props for their Cinema Suites and Fork & Knife setups. Truly a great way to lounge while watching a flick on the bigscreen. Wish they had them available at more locations like they offer at Olathe Studio 30.

I have wondered if now that their headquarters is right next to the Town Center if they will use it as a location to try out their state of the art or test new setups of theatres?

Imon Yourside 07-14-2013 12:03 AM

Is this better than Atlantic Rim?

Pants 07-14-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9809791)
...I almost think it's more Top Gun + Independence Day.

Perfect way to describe it, IMO. I saw it a little earlier tonight and it was a goddamn blast to watch. I had a huge shit-eating grin walking out of the theater. Even with all the incredibly silly moments, this was an extremely satisfying movie.

keg in kc 07-14-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9810558)
Is this better than Atlantic Rim?

I'm trying to think of an Indian Rim porn joke to make but coming up short.