ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV What's the scariest movie you've ever seen? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=251423)

WhiteWhale 10-21-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder (Post 8031032)
The only movie that ever scared me was Stephen King's It. I saw that when I was nine years old. I like scary movies but I've never really been scared by any since that one. I've seen it since then and don't get scared now but that's the only one that has creeped me out lol. I hate clowns.

Bwaha.

I'm the same. Saw it as a kid. Scared the shit out of me. I had seen Friday the 13th part 3, and that didn't scare me a bit. I have a friend who saw it and she's still scared of clowns.

I think it's because he was killing kids. Not "Nightmare on Elm Street" 25 year olds pretending to be 17 year olds. They were kids. That must have been it, because the movie isn't scarey at all.

ohiobronco2 10-21-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder (Post 8031032)
The only movie that ever scared me was Stephen King's It. I saw that when I was nine years old. I like scary movies but I've never really been scared by any since that one. I've seen it since then and don't get scared now but that's the only one that has creeped me out lol. I hate clowns.

"They all float down here and when your down here with us, you'll float too." The book is terrifying, at least it was when I was 13.

SnakeXJones 10-21-2011 07:45 PM

The Exorcist III is a underrated film George c scott and brad dourif had great chemistry

BigChiefFan 10-21-2011 08:32 PM

I saw the Gargoyles as a young kid and that scared the Hell out of me.

Deberg_1990 10-21-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 8032533)
I saw the Gargoyles as a young kid and that scared the Hell out of me.

sh*t gets real about 55 seconds in

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b7fa7OGF2bc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frosty 10-22-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8031179)
The book is terrifying...

Until the end, and then it's... WTF?

Fairplay 10-22-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8031179)
The book is terrifyingly... long. had to take a few breaks from it that summer..

FYP

Rausch 10-22-2011 11:44 AM

For me it was Communion and The Day After.

otherstar 10-22-2011 07:21 PM

The Hitcher (1986 version) with Rutger Hauer, and The Handmaid's Tale (1990) have always scared me shitles. The Hitcher because it leaves so much to the imagination, and The Handmaid's Tale because it's believable.

Setsuna 10-22-2011 09:18 PM

The Ring

BigMeatballDave 10-22-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 8037626)
The Ring

Ugh. HATED that movie. SOOO ****ing stupid. Not scary at all, just reeruned.

How do you not get away from a wet girl crawling out of your TV? ****ing run, dumbasses.

Bambi 10-23-2011 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 8023331)
Posted some thoughts on some of your choices and would also suggest checking out.

Man Bites Dog

SPOORLOOS-the original of The Vanishing that starred Keifer Sutherland.

The Flock

I haven't seen any of these but have heard good things.

Going to check them out

Bambi 10-23-2011 03:29 AM

IT, the stephen king mini-series really scared me too when i was a kid

Bambi 10-23-2011 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 8023510)
Dude you have ****ed-up taste in movies. You just named most of the movies I refuse to watch.

Cannibal Holocaust? How can you watch a film where they kill real animals onscreen? That shit is sickening.

They do kill and mutilate a large turtle onscreen in that movie which I found to be very distasteful. Not only that, it really had nothing to do with the context of the film.

However Cannibal Holocaust showcases some of the most innovative filmmaking the world has ever seen.

The concept of "found footage" started here and really makes the victims seem completely helpless ala Blair Witch. I'm actually surprised CH hasn't been given more praise and recognition over the years...

But the obvious reason why that is, is that so much of the content of the film is so objectionable.

Easy 6 10-23-2011 12:47 PM

The Shining, best horror movie of all time.

frankotank 10-27-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 8038949)
The Shining, best horror movie of all time.

I'll bet I'm gonna get slammed for saying this....but as a huge Stephen King fan....although I DID like The Shining....I was disappointed because it strayed so much from the book. Jack Nicholson is absolutely awesome in that movie, so it is with much regret that I say, The Shining mini series with the dude from Wings (Stephen Weber??) is better and hangs to the book. If you like the Nicholson version, they you should check out the Weber version. It is really good. Complete with mobile hedge animals instead of a stupid maze. Also, his wife is hot - Shelley Duvall is not....

PS - the movie ending of The Mist really pissed me off! why does hollywood insist on ****ing up a good thing. dammit!

Johnny Vegas 10-27-2011 02:10 PM

The Poughkeepsie Tapes. Its a small budget film.

QuikSsurfer 10-27-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 8036176)
FYP

All stephen king novels are ridiculously long, IMO -- Number of chapters that I just skimmed through.

Frosty 10-27-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8053196)
PS - the movie ending of The Mist really pissed me off! why does hollywood insist on ****ing up a good thing. dammit!

Man - this! I hated that ending (other then the Dead Can Dance song). If I rewatch it now, I just shut it off when they drive off from the store.

frankotank 10-27-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8053229)
All stephen king novels are ridiculously long, IMO -- Number of chapters that I just skimmed through.

agreed, but sometimes that's not so bad.....sometimes. The Stand is imo one of the best books ever, and that is one big sob. then they came out with The Stand Expanded which is an even BIGGER sob, it's like Bible big! but it's a good read. gotta say the minis series really did it justice. but a movie can never capture the book.....the book always takes you much deeper.

my son was watching Pet Semetary last night (which has been discussed in here). just so damn creepy seeing that little boy play dead demon thing....

frankotank 10-27-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 8053241)
Man - this! I hated that ending (other then the Dead Can Dance song). If I rewatch it now, I just shut it off when they drive off from the store.

did you read the book....do you know how it ends? just so much better than the way the movie ended.

QuikSsurfer 10-27-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8053269)
agreed, but sometimes that's not so bad.....sometimes. The Stand is imo one of the best books ever, and that is one big sob. then they came out with The Stand Expanded which is an even BIGGER sob, it's like Bible big! but it's a good read. gotta say the minis series really did it justice. but a movie can never capture the book.....the book always takes you much deeper.

my son was watching Pet Semetary last night (which has been discussed in here). just so damn creepy seeing that little boy play dead demon thing....

I have a hardback copy of The Stand -- just over 2k pages -- I turned it into a book-safe after I read it... yup, it's that big.

QuikSsurfer 10-27-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8053273)
did you read the book....do you know how it ends? just so much better than the way the movie ended.

I read this years back - I just remember
Spoiler!
Is there more to it than that?

frankotank 10-27-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas (Post 8053218)
The Poughkeepsie Tapes. Its a small budget film.

just watched the trailer. looks like it'd be really really bad.....but I may just check it out sometime. bot streamable on netflixs yet.

Hawk 10-27-2011 02:39 PM

As a kid, Friday the 13th part II scared me because it was the first horror movie i ever watched and I was home at night by myself.

But for long lasting impressions, Poltergeist freaked me out the most. I still shudder at trees outside of windows and hate frickin clowns. And the sequel with the creepy preacher guy...I hate that guy.

The Ring is a modern one that freaked me out a little. I hate kids in horror flicks, that really adds to the creep factor for me for some reason. Exorcist and the Omen were a couple of others with kids. Creepy.

Johnny Vegas 10-27-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8053300)
just watched the trailer. looks like it'd be really really bad.....but I may just check it out sometime. bot streamable on netflixs yet.

thing was is someone told me it was a real story. I never heard of it and watched it thinking it was real footage from the killer. I was pretty relieved to find out it wasn't real, but its based off a real series of events not exactly parallel of the real killer, but same sort of mystery. I actually have it on my hard drive I downloaded it from a torent site. You should be able to find it.

Frosty 10-27-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8053273)
did you read the book....do you know how it ends?

Yeah. I was pumped when the movie came out but so disappointed with the ending.

ReynardMuldrake 10-27-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

I'll bet I'm gonna get slammed for saying this....but as a huge Stephen King fan....although I DID like The Shining....I was disappointed because it strayed so much from the book. Jack Nicholson is absolutely awesome in that movie, so it is with much regret that I say, The Shining mini series with the dude from Wings (Stephen Weber??) is better and hangs to the book. If you like the Nicholson version, they you should check out the Weber version. It is really good. Complete with mobile hedge animals instead of a stupid maze. Also, his wife is hot - Shelley Duvall is not....

I love Kubrick, but The Shining is one of SK's best novels. Why the hell did they change it from room 217 anyway?

Huffmeister 10-27-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

That is absolutely one of the best endings ever.

QuikSsurfer 10-27-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8053294)
Spoiler!

??

Great Expectations 10-27-2011 03:34 PM

The Shining, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and The Silence of the Lambs. All of those seemed real/plausible to me during the time of my youth.

ChiefsfannSandeggo 10-27-2011 03:36 PM

For me when I was about 9 years old was THE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (original).

listopencil 10-27-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

I agree. The book was substantially better than the movie, they almost tell two different stories. But I rarely find a Stephen King movie that I like. At least I did enjoy The Shining.

gblowfish 10-27-2011 03:39 PM

The Last Toy Story....when all the toys almost go to Hell....
MOMMY!!!!

listopencil 10-27-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsfannSandeggo (Post 8053475)
For me when I was about 9 years old was THE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (original).

That's great. When my son was around that age he and his sister had Strep Throat on Halloween. They would get it often at that time of the year, so I would rent scary movies for them. I rented the original NOTLD and he sat transfixed through the entire thing. Didn't move. Didn't speak. Probably didn't even blink. As the credit rolled he turned to me with his eyes wide and a stone face. He said in the deadpan voice of a small child, "That was the scariest movie I ever saw."

Huffmeister 10-27-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsfannSandeggo (Post 8053475)

Of all the zombie movies, that one still creeps me out the most. Being black and white, it has such awesome use of light and shadow. And since it's the first zombie movie, they didn't go overboard with the gore.

Fish 10-27-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8053496)
That's great. When my son was around that age he and his sister had Strep Throat on Halloween. They would get it often at that time of the year, so I would rent scary movies for them. I rented the original NOTLD and he sat transfixed through the entire thing. Didn't move. Didn't speak. Probably didn't even blink. As the credit rolled he turned to me with his eyes wide and a stone face. He said in the deadpan voice of a small child, "That was the scariest movie I ever saw."

LMAO... awesome...

CoMoChief 10-27-2011 04:18 PM

Scariest - Texas Chainsaw Massacre

****ed up - The Cell

Scariest as a child - Stephen King's "It" (hate clowns still to this day)

Nzoner 10-28-2011 06:04 AM

Quote:

I'm with you 100% in fact you may want to read through this thread
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248341

frankotank 10-28-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8053294)
Spoiler!

crap I don't know how to do a spoiler. gonna copy yours and hope it works....
how do you do it anyways??

Spoiler!

QuikSsurfer 10-28-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8055505)
crap I don't know how to do a spoiler. gonna copy yours and hope it works....
how do you do it anyways??

Spoiler!

[spoiler] blah blah blah [/spoiler"] (minus the " in closing tag)

frankotank 10-28-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 8055126)

interesting read. can't wait for the Stand movie. awesome. sheesh everybody hated the Steven Weber Shining. to each his own. I loved it. the lady in the tub was just frigging sick....yet bad ass.

frankotank 10-28-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 8055126)

this is totally going off on a tanget here, but I'm curious.
reading thru thie comments on this site...
http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/ben-...ake-the-stand/
I see several comments about Under The Dome being so good it should be made into a movie. I read that piece of crap and could barely finish it. absolutely TERRIBLE. worst SK book ever. anyone else read this thing?

Frosty 10-28-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8055548)
I see several comments about Under The Dome being so good it should be made into a movie. I read that piece of crap and could barely finish it. absolutely TERRIBLE. worst SK book ever. anyone else read this thing?

There was a thread about it. I couldn't finish the book.

Deberg_1990 10-28-2011 11:46 AM

Loved the ending to The Mist the movie version. I have never read the book.

Books and film are too completey different mediums so a different impact is needed sometimes.

frankotank 10-28-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8055780)
Loved the ending to The Mist the movie version. I have never read the book.

Books and film are too completey different mediums so a different impact is needed sometimes.

yeah but for God's sake! that kind of impact!? sheesh. coulda done without that. funny thing is I was surprised at how exactly the movie followed the book, and then......SURPRISE!

Deberg_1990 10-28-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8055826)
yeah but for God's sake! that kind of impact!? sheesh. coulda done without that. funny thing is I was surprised at how exactly the movie followed the book, and then......SURPRISE!

movie audiences usually reject ambigious and open ended endings to movies. Endings like the book had just dont translate to film very well.

DJJasonp 10-28-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8028235)
You are right, probably Wolf Creek.

yep....that was it.

Brutal flick.

frankotank 10-28-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8055873)
movie audiences usually reject ambigious and open ended endings to movies. Endings like the book had just dont translate to film very well.

understandable..... but....

Spoiler!

stevieray 10-28-2011 01:59 PM

The Omen
Psycho

Huffmeister 10-28-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8056115)
understandable..... but....

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

ReynardMuldrake 10-28-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 8053605)
Scariest - Texas Chainsaw Massacre

****ed up - The Cell

Scariest as a child - Stephen King's "It" (hate clowns still to this day)

The Cell doesn't get enough love. That's a great mind**** movie. Really well done.

chasedude 10-28-2011 03:25 PM

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

As a kid this one really freaked me out.

Baby Lee 10-28-2011 05:14 PM

I'm not big on scary movies. My stereotypical reaction was like the Scream team [those laughing and throwing popcorn], I literally laughed and threw popcorn at a viewing of 'Nightmare of Elm Street.'

But I was impressed as a young kid at how spooky 'Watcher in the Woods' was, especially as it wasn't supposed to be a horror movie. It was a freaking Disney movie that just happened to have spooky moments, surprised no one has mentioned it yet.

Haven't seen it since I was 8, but it had something to do with a girl sent to another dimension and the sad eccentric mom left behind in a spooky house, then along came a girl perfect to bring her back.

Lots of fleeting images of a blindfolded girl in mirrors and shit.

Deberg_1990 10-28-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8056494)
I'm not big on scary movies. My stereotypical reaction was like the Scream team [those laughing and throwing popcorn], I literally laughed and threw popcorn at a viewing of 'Nightmare of Elm Street.'

But I was impressed as a young kid at how spooky 'Watcher in the Woods' was, especially as it wasn't supposed to be a horror movie. It was a freaking Disney movie that just happened to have spooky moments, surprised no one has mentioned it yet.

Haven't seen it since I was 8, but it had something to do with a girl sent to another dimension and the sad eccentric mom left behind in a spooky house, then along came a girl perfect to bring her back.

Heh, there's been sort of a small cult following around that film for years. They released a directors cut DVD of it several years back with a restored ending. It has an interesting history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watcher_in_the_Woods

lcarus 10-29-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8056494)

I remember that! Used to creep me out when I was a kid. I remember watching that movie on Halloween night after trick or treating. It was probably the most memorable Halloween ever, for lots of reasons I can't explain. I just remember my whole neighborhood in Olathe feeling really "alive" that night, and it was just a perfect night. Being a kid was fun.

Jerm 10-29-2011 10:07 AM

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

There's another mind**** for ya....

DBOSHO 10-29-2011 11:54 AM

The grudge.

Pale asian woman who distorts her body and makes a clicking noise? No thanks.

Drunk 10-30-2011 01:43 AM

pet cemetary
parents
return of the living dead

BigMeatballDave 10-30-2011 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBOSHO (Post 8058057)
The grudge.

Pale asian woman who distorts her body and makes a clicking noise? No thanks.

The boy that screams like a cat was a bit more disturbing.

frankotank 11-01-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8056186)
Spoiler!

nah...it's not that I think King would have a problem with hurting kids, it's just that I think the ending sucked. I honestly doubt theres a King movie I haven't seen or a King book I haven't read. you know he tried to start a lawsuit over the way Kubricks Shining movie was handled...which is why he made his own version. now there were definite differences between the Shining book and Kubric movie for sure, but it was more minor things, the biggest being the hedge maze vs hedge animals. so if he'd be uncool with that I'd have thought he certainly wouldn't have liked the movie ending of the Mist. guess I was wr... wr... mistaken. still a cool flick and story though.

ReynardMuldrake 11-01-2011 10:06 AM

I watched [REC] last night. Nice movie, I liked how it got scariest toward the end. Most scary movies nowadays seem to end on a letdown, nice to see one that does it right. Thumbs up.

MTG#10 11-01-2011 06:21 PM

Ive never had a movie do the things to me you describe because well, I know its only a movie...but I would have to say 1408 is right up there along with The Ring and The Shining.

HoneyBadger 11-03-2011 01:59 AM

"ssss" was scary.

Simply Red 07-02-2016 01:07 PM

the original The Changeling

Kman34 07-02-2016 01:28 PM

What's that movie with the girl crawling out of the well then out of the tv?? Freaks me out and scares the shit out of me......

GloucesterChief 07-02-2016 01:33 PM

Dear Zachary.

Do not watch if you are feeling at all depressed. It will make you hate life.

Oh and everything in it actually happened as it is a documentary.

Dayze 07-02-2016 01:33 PM

Hard Knocks With The Kansas City Chiefs

ThaVirus 07-02-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman34 (Post 12298842)
What's that movie with the girl crawling out of the well then out of the tv?? Freaks me out and scares the shit out of me......

The Ring.

That movie came out when I was in the 8th grade. Scared the shit out of me. I used to wake up in the middle of the night praying my TV wouldn't turn on.

Actually, that's the last scary movie that truly scared me. I'm not sure if the quality of horror flicks has dropped since then or if it's just the fact that I've gotten older and just not as easily shaken.

(I've loved the Paranormal Activity(s) and The Conjuring but none of those left any lasting impression on me)

Bowser 07-02-2016 02:20 PM

The Prince of Darkness was less scary than it was straight up creepy. Those dream sequence scenes freaked me out when I was young...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gb_9FBKjE0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJJasonp 07-03-2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12298877)
The Prince of Darkness was less scary than it was straight up creepy. Those dream sequence scenes freaked me out when I was young...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gb_9FBKjE0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

truly underrated flick.....and one that I wouldnt mind seeing a remake, actually (as some of the acting in the original was pretty lame).

And those dream sequences used to freak out a friend of mine who saw it with me.....I could literally just start a sentence "you are receiving this message....." and she would freak out!

ChiefAshhole1056 07-03-2016 09:39 AM

Scariest for me was "The Exorcist" as a child. Shit ****ed me up.
Paranormal Activity got me the last 20 minutes as well.

One that I don't think has been mentioned and it isn't really "scary" but The Fourth Kind creeped me out and it kinda lingers with you for a little while after you see it. I don't think I can watch it again.

PAChiefsGuy 07-03-2016 11:38 AM

Brokeback Mountain

Easy 6 07-03-2016 03:03 PM

My all-timer is and will remain, The Shining

But "The Lord of Illusions" is my second choice... black magic is baaaaaad

Deberg_1990 07-03-2016 04:55 PM

The conjuring franchise is really solid.

Even if the real life Warrens are mostly full of shit

Coochie liquor 07-03-2016 08:31 PM

When I was a kid I'd say
Texas Chainsaw
Evil Dead
Halloween
Motel Hell
Pieces
The Shining
Amityville original

More recent
The Strangers was pretty good
Session 9
Lovely Molly had some very creepy moments

Rasputin 07-03-2016 08:43 PM

I was very young when I watched it but Curse of King Tuts Tomb gave me nightmares.

DaneMcCloud 07-03-2016 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12300418)
I was very young when I watched it but Curse of King Tuts Tomb gave me nightmares.

I was about five when I saw the original B&W Dracula film with Bela Legosi.

I've never been so scared of visuals before in my life.

That film is a gem.

Cheater5 07-04-2016 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoneyBadger (Post 8075460)
"ssss" was scary.

GTFO out of here, man! With Starbuck/Faceman as the snake. Haven't thought about that movie since I was about 12. :D

ThaVirus 07-04-2016 07:13 AM

I always loved the Halloweens, aside from that shit show bait and switch Season of the Witch.. And of course some of the later ones when they inevitably take it too far.

But the first and second one were legitimately great horror movies, I think.