ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Zack Snyder to direct next Superman film (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=234627)

bowener 02-01-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 7397737)
GFY butt monkey

You're still a douche bag.

Have you read Batman: Hush?

Easy 6 02-01-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 7397785)
You're still a douche bag.

Have you read Batman: Hush?

And you, sir, are still a butt monkey.

Uh, yeah, i spent my entire childhood reading Batman.

bowener 02-01-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 7397795)
And you, sir, are still a butt monkey.

Uh, yeah, i spent my entire childhood reading Batman.

Sweet. Did you not like it?

Everyone of Nolan's films is about a broken man trying to fix himself. That is why he is so good at Batman. The addition/use of Catwoman is probably going to be along the lines of how she is used in Hush. Batman/Bruce Wayne will finally be able to become one person. This will happen when he is willing to ultimately share his secret identity with her.

He is also going to need an ally to take on Bane. Bane will be super strong, but more importantly, he will be super intelligent. Bane will figure out Batman and Bruce Wayne are one in the same. This is what will make the Catwoman/Selina Kyle - Bruce Wayne/Batman relationship so important. SK will understand what is at stake for Bruce Wayne/BM. That is my rather simple guess as to what is going to happen in this film.

There is also the typical notion in films/literature, that a man is incomplete until he is able to love a woman (or man in brokeback mountain).

So in the end, this is the last film in the trilogy, BM may be "killed" off, but BW will get the girl in the end... or in typical Nolan fashion, he won't get what he needs to make him whole.

ThaVirus 02-01-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7396280)
It was a lot unrealistic, especially coming from a guy who is shown to whack his henchmen when done with them. He must have run Henchmen R Us out completely. How could some batshit crazy, but otherwise human, villian with constantly dwindling support pull off all the precision crap required to make DK's ridiculous - say again, RIDICULOUS - story work? Talk about suspension of disbelief. Dr. Manhattan, OTOH, was able to pull stuff off because he was basically a god. Obviously some suspension is involved there, but everything he does later makes sense for the character, and nobody is sitting in the audience thinking "what the hell, he couldn't do all that shit." He could basically pull anything off.

Like I said, I don't read comics, graphic novels, whatever you call them. That certainly gave me a clean slate going into Watchmen since I knew nothing about it. However, I did have some expectations with DK (especially since I liked Batman Begins so much), and they were quite simply not met. At all. Regardless of how many gushing critics and fanboys told me they should have been.

And when it comes to acting, Ledger can't hold Jack Nicholson's jock, dead or alive.

I only recall him killing one of his own henchmen (the final bank robber in the opening scene), which was necessary for the robbery to be pulled off and for him to take all the money himself- if you remember he put the idea to start killing eachother off into their heads. He killed a bunch of the mob bosses henchmen of course, he was highly dangerous. THAT's why he was able to pull of those schemes with such precision. One of the mob bosses explained that to Batman when he tried shaking him down. He said something along the lines of "No one's gonna cross him for you. You've got rules, he doesn't." The way I see it, as a henchman, you've got two options- 1) do what you're told exactly the right way or 2) be killed.

On top of that, there weren't really any schemes that required his henchmen too much in the first place. The main one I could think of was when they tried to get Dent out of the security vehicle. Other than that, they appeared to be just for muscle.

Tribal Warfare 02-01-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 7397839)
Sweet. Did you not like it?

Everyone of Nolan's films is about a broken man trying to fix himself. That is why he is so good at Batman. The addition/use of Catwoman is probably going to be along the lines of how she is used in Hush. Batman/Bruce Wayne will finally be able to become one person. This will happen when he is willing to ultimately share his secret identity with her.

He is also going to need an ally to take on Bane. Bane will be super strong, but more importantly, he will be super intelligent. Bane will figure out Batman and Bruce Wayne are one in the same. This is what will make the Catwoman/Selina Kyle - Bruce Wayne/Batman relationship so important. SK will understand what is at stake for Bruce Wayne/BM. That is my rather simple guess as to what is going to happen in this film.

There is also the typical notion in films/literature, that a man is incomplete until he is able to love a woman (or man in brokeback mountain).

So in the end, this is the last film in the trilogy, BM may be "killed" off, but BW will get the girl in the end... or in typical Nolan fashion, he won't get what he needs to make him whole.

He'll have that Count of Monte Cristo thing going on too in terrorizing what's left in the criminal underworld too.More importantly odd transition again since Cavill played Albert in 2002 COMC continuity , I I believe he's a very solid choice with his work on the Tudors dutiful and loyal to the cause with a sense of dignity.

JD10367 02-01-2011 06:43 PM

This thread has drifted quite a bit from the original topic.

I liked "Watchmen". But I also got to see it in IMAX about 50 times. I liked the story, the music, the acting, the editing, the effects, the cinematography. I also didn't read the comic, though, so I had nothing to color my judgement.

I didn't like "The Dark Knight" as much as everyone else. I thought it was solid, but I didn't think it was "OMG the best movie ever!" as so many did. Ledger's acting (and then his death) sort of overshadowed the film, and the character of Batman. That, plus every time that ugly Glyllenhall chick was on screen.... yeesh.

I also enjoyed "Superman Returns", although it sort of jumped the shark when Baby Superman made his presence halfway through the film. I think it would've been a better film if they'd either totally ignored the first films, or totally took in the first films. To try to jump off after "Superman II" was sort of troublesome, especially since that film ended so stupidly. I didn't mind Routh or his emo-moody acting; if Nolan gets props for humanizing Batman into a tortured soul, I don't know why Routh trying to show Superman as emotional was such a big issue. I'd put "Superman Returns" with "Spiderman 3": not great, not awful, just sort of "there".

I think Snyder and Nolan basically make the same type of story, humanizing their superheroes and making them flawed and conflicted. There is a stylistic difference, to be sure, but I'm not sure either one of them helming the next Superman film would make much of a difference.

ThaVirus 02-01-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 7398807)
This thread has drifted quite a bit from the original topic.

I liked "Watchmen". But I also got to see it in IMAX about 50 times. I liked the story, the music, the acting, the editing, the effects, the cinematography. I also didn't read the comic, though, so I had nothing to color my judgement.

I didn't like "The Dark Knight" as much as everyone else. I thought it was solid, but I didn't think it was "OMG the best movie ever!" as so many did. Ledger's acting (and then his death) sort of overshadowed the film, and the character of Batman. That, plus every time that ugly Glyllenhall chick was on screen.... yeesh.

I also enjoyed "Superman Returns", although it sort of jumped the shark when Baby Superman made his presence halfway through the film. I think it would've been a better film if they'd either totally ignored the first films, or totally took in the first films. To try to jump off after "Superman II" was sort of troublesome, especially since that film ended so stupidly. I didn't mind Routh or his emo-moody acting; if Nolan gets props for humanizing Batman into a tortured soul, I don't know why Routh trying to show Superman as emotional was such a big issue. I'd put "Superman Returns" with "Spiderman 3": not great, not awful, just sort of "there".

I think Snyder and Nolan basically make the same type of story, humanizing their superheroes and making them flawed and conflicted. There is a stylistic difference, to be sure, but I'm not sure either one of them helming the next Superman film would make much of a difference.

I'm kind of bringing this off track again, but "humanizing their superheroes" is probably the reason I think Marvel superheroes blow DC's out of the water. Obviously they're doing a good job of it now with Supes and Batman, but how can the average person relate to the Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and the Martian Manhunter? On the other hand, you've got Spider-Man, the Hulk, and Iron Man on the Marvel side.

Moral of the story? Marvel> DC

JD10367 02-01-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 7398825)
I'm kind of bringing this off track again, but "humanizing their superheroes" is probably the reason I think Marvel superheroes blow DC's out of the water. Obviously they're doing a good job of it now with Supes and Batman, but how can the average person relate to the Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and the Martian Manhunter? On the other hand, you've got Spider-Man, the Hulk, and Iron Man on the Marvel side.

Moral of the story? Marvel> DC

Oh, I think they can all be humanized. You really can't create a superhero who isn't humanized (at least, not a popular one). The reason people enjoy superheroes is because they can identify, empathize, desire to be them, whatever; if a superhero were literally "inhuman" they, and their exploits, wouldn't be very interesting.

I think Batman has always been humanized from the get-go. He was always just a regular guy, and even the first film with Michael Keaton did a good job on that. Wonder Woman, they actually did a decent job with the Lynda Carter TV series, I thought (for it's time, at least). Aren't they doing a Green Lantern film with Ryan "I broke up with Scarlett and thus am the stupidest man in the world" Reynolds?

DaneMcCloud 02-01-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 7398869)
Aren't they doing a Green Lantern film with Ryan "I broke up with Scarlett and thus am the stupidest man in the world" Reynolds?

She has a tendency to gain weight and can be a PITA from what I hear.

Furthermore, RR can bang any chick in the world. Getting married was the "stupidest" thing he could have done.

ThaVirus 02-01-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 7398869)
Oh, I think they can all be humanized. You really can't create a superhero who isn't humanized (at least, not a popular one). The reason people enjoy superheroes is because they can identify, empathize, desire to be them, whatever; if a superhero were literally "inhuman" they, and their exploits, wouldn't be very interesting.

I think Batman has always been humanized from the get-go. He was always just a regular guy, and even the first film with Michael Keaton did a good job on that. Wonder Woman, they actually did a decent job with the Lynda Carter TV series, I thought (for it's time, at least). Aren't they doing a Green Lantern film with Ryan "I broke up with Scarlett and thus am the stupidest man in the world" Reynolds?

Well yeah, no doubt, Supes has always been a country boy with a love for Lois Lane and Batman is one of the most tortured comic-book heroes out there. But, and maybe I'm just ignorant on the subject, it seems like the majority of DC superheroes have no substance.
-The Green Lantern: A pilot who gets chosen to be an intergalactic policeman. BORING.
-The Martian Manhunter: A Martian with more power than Superman who's race got slaughtered. BORING.
-Wonder Woman: An Amazonian with unbelievable bodily dimension. Good fap material but.. BORING.
-Aquaman: The dude talks to fish. BORING.
-The Flash: He's really fast and cocky. BORING.

Obviously they all have SOMETHING to write about when they're not in tights, but who cares? I have a hard time feeling for those guys. But I can feel for Peter Parker's issues with being broke and not being able to be with Mary Jane. I can feel for Tony Stark being an alcoholic. I can feel for Bruce having to deal with the green monster every damn time he gets angry. Ok, I'm done with my rant now.

Tribal Warfare 02-01-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7398975)
She has a tendency to gain weight and can be a PITA from what I hear.

Furthermore, RR can bang any chick in the world. Getting married was the "stupidest" thing he could have done.

a bitch, clingy,or low self esteem in the terms of needing incessant compliments to feel validated?

Silock 02-01-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 7398984)
Well yeah, no doubt, Supes has always been a country boy with a love for Lois Lane and Batman is one of the most tortured comic-book heroes out there. But, and maybe I'm just ignorant on the subject, it seems like the majority of DC superheroes have no substance.
-The Green Lantern: A pilot who gets chosen to be an intergalactic policeman. BORING.
-The Martian Manhunter: A Martian with more power than Superman who's race got slaughtered. BORING.
-Wonder Woman: An Amazonian with unbelievable bodily dimension. Good fap material but.. BORING.

Obviously they all have SOMETHING to write about when they're not in tights, but who cares? I have a hard time feeling for those guys. But I can feel for Peter Parker's issues with being broke and not being able to be with Mary Jane. I can feel for Tony Stark being an alcoholic. I can feel for Bruce having to deal with the green monster every damn time he gets angry. Ok, I'm done with my rant now.

I agree with this. Marvel, all around, has much better characters.

That being said, my favorite superheros are DC -- Superman and Batman. But as a universe, I'll take Marvel over DC every single time.

JD10367 02-01-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

I agree with this assessment. Which is why, from what I remember of the Wonder Woman TV series, given the time it was made (1975-1979), they did a decent job with it. She was worried about revealing her identity and the location of her island, she was worried about falling in love with the character of Lyle Waggoner... it was about as much character-development you could expect from a late 70's TV show whose main purpose was "show some tits". It would be interesting to see a modern director like Snyder or Nolan get their hands on Wonder Woman (no pun intended) and try to do something with the character.

JD10367 02-01-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7399032)

That being said, my favorite superheros are DC -- Superman and Batman. But as a universe, I'll take Marvel over DC every single time.

I'd also agree with this.

Tribal Warfare 02-01-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7399032)

because they Characters in the collective has Stan Lee as their creator while DC has different subsets of authors which really has a discontinuity about it in comparison.

keg in kc 02-26-2011 02:35 AM

Interesting:
Quote:

Viggo Mortensen on Warners' Radar for 'Superman' Villain (Exclusive)

Producer Christopher Nolan and director Zack Snyder eye actor as "person of interest" for reboot.

Now that British hunk Henry Cavill is set to play the Man of Steel, the search is on the fill out the rest of the cast of Warner Bros.' big-budget Superman reboot. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that producer Christopher Nolan and director Zack Snyder are zeroing in on an intriguing actor to play the villain: Viggo Mortensen.

Mortensen, who is still in negotiations for Universal’s Snow White and the Huntsman, is said to be at the top of the list to play General Zod, the evil and super-powered scientist who was portrayed by Terrence Stamp in 1980's Superman II. If Mortensen's Snow White deal doesn't close, that would potentially free him up to make Superman. Or Universal and Warner Bros. could work out his schedule and enable him to do both.

Sources say no talks have commenced and that Mortensen is just a "person of interest," much like Kevin Costner is for the role of Jonathan Kent. The actors aren't the only ones considered for their respective roles, though they are the ones most seriously talked about.

Snyder is in the midst of meeting actors for not only the role of Zod and Kent, but the three female parts well. Given the Nolan pedigree with the Batman films and the tenpole nature of a Superman film, the roles are considered some of the hottest and most-desired in town.

Warner Bros. had no comment.

The_Doctor10 02-26-2011 04:59 AM

Quote:

I'm going to have to defend Green Lantern, the Flash and Aquaman. And DC in general.

The modern incarnation of Green Lantern, since Rebirth in 2005, is absolutely outstanding. It's a big space opera worthy of the original Star Wars, and a lot of it centers on Hal's relationship with Sinestro, his guilt about killing most of the Green Lantern corps when he was possessed by Parallax, and his struggles to earn back the trust of the re-formed Lantern Corps.

Now, with Green Lantern alone, you have a betrayal from a once-close friend, and a devastating mistake that forever changed the way people see you, and now you have to fight to redeem yourself. To me, those are stories you can really invest in. Green Lantern is also very easily the best-written DC title going these days; Blackest Night was a wildly popular and successful DC event which was primarily focused on the Lanterns. Brightest Day is less concentrated on Hal Jordan, but it focuses on the newly discovered/created White Lantern. The next DC event is going to be 'War of the Green Lanterns', which ostensibly means GL has been the foundation of every major DC series since Final Crisis. The reason for that is the writing; Geoff Johns is, for my money, far and away the best comic writer working today, and he's responsible for most of the Green Lantern stories and a new treatment on the Flash.

The Flash I'm most familiar with is Barry Allen, and he only recently returned from being dead for 20+ years; he's trying to find his place in the world, and while coming back from the dead on it's own is something nobody has any experience with, feeling out of place and wondering what you're supposed to do is an extremely accessible premise.

Aquaman aka Arthur Curry died, came back as a zombie, was saved from said fate, but now controls zombie sea creatures. That's just effing cool.

Wonder Woman? I'll admit, I'm not a fan. She's kinda like Superman with tits, but never really seems all that necessary to the plot of any given story. On the plus side, she has killed people, and is willing to do so again; in that respect, she's interesting. But I don't lose sleep when she's not in a story.

Honestly, if you have some negative preconceptions about DC but still know enough about the core characters (Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern etc) to get by, I'd really suggest checking out Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis and Blackest Night. Final Crisis is in there between Infinite and Blackest Night, but you can skip to the end; all you need to know is

SPOILERS

Batman dies at the end of Final Crisis, and Martian Manhunter is killed about a third of the way in. And Barry Allen comes back from the dead/Speed Force.

And then you can skip to Blackest Night.

It's a bit of a chore I know, but trust me dude all those books are so well-written, so well-drawn, it's well worth your time to check them out.

If I could just add one more thing; I don't know why you don't include Superman among the 'boring' DC characters. He's written to be far too powerful, and though I love Superman 1 and 2, and can stand Returns, when you get right down to it, it's very difficult to make him an interesting character because he's too perfect. He's strong, he can fly, he has heat vision, super breath, x-ray vision, super hearing, he's indestructible etc. Where's the challenge? To me, anything that made Superman interesting was thrown out when they established Lois knew who he was. That's the biggest part of Superman's charm, for me, his balancing of personas.

There was a line on "Lois and Clark" way back in the day that went something like 'Lois, Superman is what I can do, but Clark Kent is who I am'. There's so much less drama involved when she knows who he is. And when you really can't have 'drama' when the hero is as invulnerable as Kal-El, it doesn't make things better to write out the one source of tension you DID have.

Now, all you can do is write about Superman's internal difficulties with personalities in the Justice League; understanding why they mind-wiped Batman, etc. Which is fine, don't get me wrong. But that lacks something, in my mind.

Anyway, I've nerded out enough for everyone, so I'll stop now.

Cheers.

Deberg_1990 02-26-2011 08:30 AM

Viggo Morteson as Zod sounds perfect.

Red Brooklyn 02-26-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7454228)

Love it.

bowener 02-26-2011 11:08 PM

Honestly, a Superman story I would LOVE to see made is, Superman: Red Son.

I realize that it will never happen, but if it did, that would be ****ing bad ass.

the Talking Can 02-27-2011 06:21 AM

They should do the story where Superman walks into an aids tree....maybe get Tim Burton to do it

KcMizzou 02-27-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7455708)
They should do the story where Superman walks into an aids tree....maybe get Tim Burton to do it

And he should fight a giant mechanical spider.

Ebolapox 02-27-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 7455864)
And he should fight a giant mechanical spider.

NO, NO NO... he needs to wrassle polar bears outside of the fortress of solitude.

Bowser 02-27-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7454228)

Yes. He would kill it as Zod. If this happens, my outlook for this Supes reboot would triple in anticipation.

DaneMcCloud 02-27-2011 01:01 PM

Zod? Are you ****ing kidding me?

So let's get this straight: In Superman Returns (which sucked ass in every single way), Singer chose to use Lex Luthor (again!) as the bad guy, just like in Superman 1 and 4.

Now, after all of the previous films (especially S & S2) have been blasted all over premium cable networks for the better part of 30 years, Nolan and Snyder decide to use Zod as the bad guy in their incarnation?

Please, wake me when it's over.

Bowser 02-27-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7456068)

So let's get this straight: In Superman Returns (which sucked ass in every single way), Singer chose to use Lex Luthor (again!) as the bad guy, just like in Superman 1 and 4.

Now, after all of the previous films (especially S & S2) have been blasted all over premium cable networks for the better part of 30 years, Nolan and Snyder decide to use Zod as the bad guy in their incarnation?

I get what you're saying, but this is the question - for a Supes film, who is going to be the villian? As UtP summed up a few posts back, Supes is indestructable. You need a villian that can believably hang in with him. I guess they can go other routes like Brainiac or Doomsday, but Zod would be an intriguing character if casted correctly.

DaneMcCloud 02-27-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7456082)
I get what you're saying, but this is the question - for a Supes film, who is going to be the villian? As UtP summed up a few posts back, Supes is indestructable. You need a villian that can believably hang in with him. I guess they can go other routes like Brainiac or Doomsday, but Zod would be an intriguing character if casted correctly.

I thought Superman II was stupid, especially since Superman had the ability to reverse his "powers" in the Fortress of Solitude. If Zod is done right, it could be interesting but personally, I'd have rather seen a new bad guy introduced instead of rehashing Zod, just after rehashing Luthor.

Bowser 02-27-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7456105)
I thought Superman II was stupid, especially since Superman had the ability to reverse his "powers" in the Fortress of Solitude. If Zod is done right, it could be interesting but personally, I'd have rather seen a new bad guy introduced instead of rehashing Zod, just after rehashing Luthor.

Yeah, the Fortress part was full of WTF moments. Supes' ability to drain Kryptonians of their powers, his ability to be in four places at once (and one a crystal statue?), and that plastic thing he ripped off the S on his chest and threw at Nonn..... It's all akin to the Wolverine movie, where about two thirds of the way through, they were like "Hey! This is a comic book movie! We've got to do outlandish stuff and blow a ton of shit up!"

I guess the thing that intrigues me about Zod possibly being portrayed by Mortensen (other than Viggo being a fantastic actor) is Nolan himself, along with Snyder. I'm a fan of both (I may be in the minority of Snyder fans), and I love what Nolan did with the Joker. If, and it's a big IF, all these parts can come together properly, I feel like it could be a home run.

Frankie 02-27-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7456068)

Is Zod even a character from the comics or just SM movies?

Tribal Warfare 02-27-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 7456574)
Is Zod even a character from the comics or just SM movies?

Yes he's a character in the comics

keg in kc 02-28-2011 08:02 AM

Zod could make sense if the film is still about a young superman traveling the world between Smallville and Metropolis, trying to figure out who he is. Zod could be the tempter showing him how powerful he could be ruling over the world instead of merely being a part of it.

Not sure who else they could bring. Superman's enemies are so limited because he's so freaking powerful....

And I still like the idea of teasing or even introducing Lex Luthor, but keeping him as a figure in the shadows. Save him for the sequel or the third. And then eventually bring in Brainiac.

beach tribe 02-28-2011 09:15 AM

Gen. Zod: "bow before Zod"

President: "oh God" *kneels*

Gen. Zod: "it's ZOD!"

Fire Me Boy! 02-28-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 7457314)
Gen. Zod: "bow before Zod"

President: "oh God" *kneels*

Gen. Zod: "it's ZOD!"

Wow. You ****ed that up royally.

Super-man doesn't tell the president to kneel. He tells the dummy pres to kneel. When he does, Zod says he's not the real president.

The the president comes over and says he'll kneel if it will save lives. Then he says there is one person who won't ever kneel.

Zod: Who is this imbecile? Where is he?

President: I wish I knew.

Then the president kneels.

President: Oh God.

Zod: Zod!

Note, he doesn't say "It's Zod." That would suck.

007 02-28-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7457230)
Zod could make sense if the film is still about a young superman traveling the world between Smallville and Metropolis, trying to figure out who he is. Zod could be the tempter showing him how powerful he could be ruling over the world instead of merely being a part of it.

Not sure who else they could bring. Superman's enemies are so limited because he's so freaking powerful....

And I still like the idea of teasing or even introducing Lex Luthor, but keeping him as a figure in the shadows. Save him for the sequel or the third. And then eventually bring in Brainiac.

This movie is a one shot deal. There won't be a sequel.

DaneMcCloud 02-28-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7458576)
This movie is a one shot deal. There won't be a sequel.

If the next Superman pulls in huge box office numbers and is critically acclaimed, there will definitely be a sequel.

007 02-28-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7458584)
If the next Superman pulls in huge box office numbers and is critically acclaimed, there will definitely be a sequel.

I thought there was an issue with the timing. They had to do this ONE film now before they lost the property.

Because they are making the film do they get to keep the property or something?

DaneMcCloud 02-28-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7458596)
I thought there was an issue with the timing. They had to do this ONE film now before they lost the property.

Because they are making the film do they get to keep the property or something?

Yeah, since they're making the film, the rights were renewed but I can't remember the term length.

BWillie 02-28-2011 08:10 PM

Somebody told me Lindsay Lohan is rumored to be in this...are they just smoking some of Charlie Sheen's crack?

Frankie 03-18-2011 12:04 PM

Kevin Costner to play Clark Kent's earth father:

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni8706489/

Valiant 03-18-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 7498838)
Kevin Costner to play Clark Kent's earth father:

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni8706489/

Viggio would be a good Zod..

Me personally I want a 3hour or 2:45 movie..

If we are going with Zod, we need a subvillian.. Doomsday.. But only if the effects are off the charts.. Or Granny, that way we can set up Darkseid..

007 03-18-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 7500187)
Viggio would be a good Zod..

Me personally I want a 3hour or 2:45 movie..

If we are going with Zod, we need a subvillian.. Doomsday.. But only if the effects are off the charts.. Or Granny, that way we can set up Darkseid..

if it comes in at less than 2 hours I'll be pissed.

keg in kc 03-22-2011 09:56 AM

No Viggo Mortensen. :(

Frankie 03-22-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7500228)
if it comes in at less than 2 hours I'll be pissed.

Even Super Man can't hold it off two hours.

Bowser 03-22-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7508353)

Crap

keg in kc 03-27-2011 01:25 PM

Lois Lane = Amy Adams.

007 03-27-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7520178)
Lois Lane = Amy Adams.

That is an interesting choice.

Frankie 03-27-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7520736)
That is an interesting choice.

I like her, but not as LL. Bad choice IMO.

cardken 03-27-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7062721)
Not sure how i feel about it yet. Snyder has talent, but IMO has turned into a CGI bore. General Zod as a villian is an interesting choice. Why couldnt they try a villian who hasnt been done before on the big screen like Bizzaro or Brainiac?

My feelings exactly. But I've stated before, as much as I love Superman, huge fan. As the last Superman movie showed, he is not the Superhero for this time in our universe.
Superman is the ultimate "Boy Scout", nothing "dark" about him. Our society doesn't want a "Good guy" hero now. This has been proven by the success in the Batman films. IMHO. And for the record I'm not a huge fan of Snyder either.

Deberg_1990 03-27-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardken (Post 7521345)
And for the record I'm not a huge fan of Snyder either.

WB must be kicking themselves now after Snyders back to back bummer of Legends of the Guardians and Sucker Punch....

Easy 6 03-28-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7521356)
WB must be kicking themselves now after Snyders back to back bummer of Legends of the Guardians and Sucker Punch....

They should get JJ Abrams, he did an awesome job of rebooting Star Trek.

The_Doctor10 03-30-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7508353)

Viggo left the project that was giving him scheduling conflicts, so he is apparently back in the running to play Zod. Here's hoping, he'd ****ing crush it. This flick may not be what we all want it to be, but at least it's gonna have a killer ****ing cast.

keg in kc 04-10-2011 06:37 PM

Michael Shannon is officially Zod.

Deberg_1990 04-10-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7552444)

Thats another decent choice. Under the radar guy, but a good actor.

Bowser 04-10-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Michael Shannon, who received an Oscar nomination for his supporting role as a mentally troubled man in "Revolutionary Road" two years ago, has been cast as the villain in the upcoming Superman film.

He will play General Zod opposite Henry Cavill 's Superman in "Superman: Man of Steel." Zod, like Superman, is from Krypton, where he commanded its armed forces. The character appeared in both 1978's "Superman" and its sequel "Superman II," where he was played by Terence Stamp .

"Zod is not only one of Superman's most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman that others don't," said Zach Snyder, the director of the new film. "Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role."

Shannon, seen more recently as a stern federal agent in HBO's "Boardwalk Empire," joins a lineup that also includes Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Martha and Jonathan Kent, the adoptive parents of Superman's alter ego Clark Kent.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies....-movie-reuters

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/imag...n-84530939.jpg

Red Brooklyn 04-11-2011 10:24 AM

I really like this choice. I'm still not 100% thrilled about bringing ZoD back to the screen. But if they're going to do it, they certainly cast it well.

Frankie 04-11-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7553726)
I really like this choice. I'm still not 100% thrilled about bringing Zob back to the screen. But if they're going to do it, they certainly cast it well.

How about bringing Zod back? Would you be thrilled with that?

kysirsoze 04-11-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

He is going to be awesome. I am totally pumped about this choice. So far I have solidly been behind every casting choice this movie has made.

blaise 04-11-2011 07:12 PM

I heard Pau Gasol will play Non.

Red Brooklyn 04-12-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 7553792)
How about bringing Zod back? Would you be thrilled with that?

You and your savvy interneting... :p

Frankie 04-12-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7556761)
You and your savvy interneting... :p

I try.

keg in kc 04-14-2011 12:14 PM

Interesting and very, very spoiler-filled:
Spoiler!

Red Brooklyn 04-14-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7564308)
Interesting and very, very spoiler-filled:
Spoiler!

Fun!

You know, the more I read up about Superman villains the more I want movies based on them instead of another movie based on Superman himself.:p

Bowser 04-14-2011 12:46 PM

This is going to be one long movie. 3+ hours?

Deberg_1990 04-14-2011 01:24 PM

:facepalm:

Another origin story....Sigh....

Frankie 04-19-2011 01:33 PM

Interesting read for Super-Man movies fans:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovie...rns-didnt-work

Tribal Warfare 06-25-2011 12:18 AM

Russell Crowe To Play Superman’s Dad Jor-El in ‘Man of Steel’

Richard Donner seems to have started a Superman movie tradition when he cast legendary actor Marlon Brando as Superman’s dad, Jor-El, in his 1978 classic. Now Warner Bros., and the team behind Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel are continuing in that tradition, by snagging a famous name to play Jor-El in the upcoming Superman reboot.

That’s right: Superman’s new daddy is none other than Russell Crowe.

Variety has the exclusive on the news, claiming that producer Chris Nolan had been pushing for a headlining name to play Jor-El role for some time, and Crowe is the man they got. It’s also stated that a big-name actress is being sought to play Superman’s mother, though no word yet on who that might be.

We were reminded during a recent panel on upcoming changes to the Superman character that Donner was one of the first to realize that populating a comic book movie with accomplished thespians in supporting roles was a great way to elevate the potentially-campy material to a proper dramatic level. It’s a tactic that Nolan himself has confessed as having borrowed for the casting of his Batman trilogy.

Well, you don’t get much more “accomplished” than an actor of Crowe’s caliber. The one-time Oscar-winner (thrice nominated) has so many hits under his belt that it’s almost pointless to list them (you know the titles). As far as being a match for the role of Jor-El: one of Crowe’s trademarks is his tough-yet-vulnerable demeanor (see: Gladiator, LA Confidential, Cinderella Man) and he can definitely play the nervous smart/clever guy (A Beautiful Mind, State of Play, The Insider). These qualities make Crowe a more than sensible choice to play Jor-EL, a character who is a brilliant scientist and loving family man, forced to face the end of his world and find the courageous resolve to save his only son.

Considering that Man of Steel will feature Kryptonian villains General Zod (Michael Shannon) and Faora, Crowe may actually get a significant amount of screen time to fill. Recent Superman comics have featured a more extensive exploration of Zod and Jor-El’s history on the planet Krypton; will those comic book storylines influence the shape of Man of Steel? It’s quite possible. Other actors in the film include Henry Cavill (The Tudors) as Superman, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Kevin Costner as Pa Kent and Diane Lane as Ma Kent.

What do you guys think of Russell Crowe playing Superman’s pappy? Good choice?

Man of Steel will be in theaters in December of 2012.

Julia Ormond May Play Superman’s Mom in ‘Man of Steel’

Just over a week ago, word got out that Zack Snyder had found Superman’s father, Jor-El, for his Man of Steel reboot in the form of Oscar-winner Russell Crowe. Now it seems the director has possibly settled on an actress to play Supe’s Kryptonian mother, Lara, as well.

Julia Ormond (who recently won a Best Actress Emmy for her work in HBO’s Temple Grandin) has been reportedly offered the role of Superman’s biological mom – a role that Gladiator actress Connie Nielson was previously rumored to be in contention for.

Deadline says that Ormond is likely to lock down a deal for her to appear in Man of Steel “shortly.” The site’s report also reiterates that Crowe has been offered the part of Superman’s birth father, but that the New Zealand actor has yet to officially sign on and follow in the footsteps of fellow Oscar-winner Marlon Brando by portraying Jor-El on the big screen.

The character Lara (full maiden name: Lara Lor-Van) was generally presented in the Superman comics as a dark-haired Kryptonian woman who played a more passive role in the events leading up to the birth of her son – prior to the 1970s. Following Susannah York’s portrayal of the character in Richard Donner’s Superman: The Movie, her physical appearance has varied slightly (occasionally, she is depicted with auburn or blonde hair). However, Lara became much more of an active figure in Mark Waid’s “Superman: Birthright”, where she assisted Jor-El in the construction of the spaceship used to transport their son to Earth – following the explosion of Krypton.

Ormond generally appears in artsier or more awards-friendly fare on both the big screen (Legends of the Fall, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) and small screen (Iron Jawed Angels, Inland Empire). More to the point: she has more than enough of a regal screen presence to suffice as Supe’s mom in Man of Steel.

Much like Christopher Nolan has done with his Batman trilogy, Snyder is aiming to fill out the Man of Steel cast with more than its fair share of award-winners and respectable stars, including Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as Superman’s foster parents, Pa and Ma Kent; Amy Adams as Clark Kent/Superman’s career-driven love interest, Lois Lane; and Michael Shannon as the infamous criminal Kryptonian, General Zod.

Between the DC comics universe being rebooted, Action Comics essentially relaunching the Superman character, and Snyder aiming to fix what he sees as a broken concept (re: the Superman film franchise in its current form) with Man of Steel, it’s definitely a time of significant change for the classic costumed superhero. How well all these renovations and changes will go over with casual and devoted Superman fans alike, has yet to be seen.

Bowser 06-25-2011 12:23 AM

Yeah, good choice, especially if they go into a bit of backstory between Jor-El and Zod.

bowener 06-25-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7713874)
Yeah, good choice, especially if they go into a bit of backstory between Jor-El and Zod.

http://images.dailyfill.com/72f342e2...24/o/crowe.jpg

Easy 6 06-25-2011 11:51 AM

Glad to see Crowe doing something of note again, seems like he's been in a real rut lately... i've been noticing movies he's in at the video store that i never even heard of, almost like they were straight to dvd junk.

He's too good for that, hope he doesnt wind up like Val Kilmer doing all kinds of low budget, straight to video crap.

Rausch 06-25-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 7713876)

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vgYhLIThTvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser 06-25-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 7714217)

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vgYhLIThTvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was outstanding. LMAO

Easy 6 06-25-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7714332)
That was outstanding. LMAO

Heh, definitely worth a listen... no suit, dont wanna see him fly, a gay black robot & a huge spider.

No wonder hollywood puts out so much garbage.

Chiefs Pantalones 07-23-2011 05:15 PM

Any news on this movie? Superman is and always has been my favorite super hero it sucks that there hasn't been a good movie on him in 100 years

Deberg_1990 07-23-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder (Post 7766554)
Any news on this movie? Superman is and always has been my favorite super hero it sucks that there hasn't been a good movie on him in 100 years

You didnt think the 78 Superman was good???

Just this little nugget. Doesnt sound too promising....

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/07/...-flies-to-2013

I don’t know what this means: Warner Bros has moved The Man of Steel to summer 2013 – June, to be precise. The film was supposed to hit December 2012. The buzz on the script has been that it has huge problems, and we’ve heard that Jonathan Nolan took a pass on it and now regular Zack Snyder collaborator Kurt Johnstad is taking a swing. The movie is supposed to start shooting next month, but could this release date push mean Warner Bros is thinking about delaying the production until the script problems get worked out? I can’t imagine Christopher Nolan will be happy with a half-assed movie with his name on it, but he’s knee deep in The Dark Knight Rises right now…

Chiefs Pantalones 07-23-2011 05:24 PM

Superman pushed back to June 2013

http://www.christianpost.com/news/ne...to-2013-52714/

Chiefs Pantalones 07-23-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7766576)
You didnt think the 78 Superman was good???

Just this little nugget. Doesnt sound too promising....

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/07/...-flies-to-2013

I don’t know what this means: Warner Bros has moved The Man of Steel to summer 2013 – June, to be precise. The film was supposed to hit December 2012. The buzz on the script has been that it has huge problems, and we’ve heard that Jonathan Nolan took a pass on it and now regular Zack Snyder collaborator Kurt Johnstad is taking a swing. The movie is supposed to start shooting next month, but could this release date push mean Warner Bros is thinking about delaying the production until the script problems get worked out? I can’t imagine Christopher Nolan will be happy with a half-assed movie with his name on it, but he’s knee deep in The Dark Knight Rises right now…

I loved that one, I was being sarcastic. It sucks that it has been so long.

In the article I posted it said not only because of the script but because the Hobbit is coming out in December as well and WB doesn't want to have two blockbusters out in the same month.

blaise 08-03-2011 06:40 AM

Laurence Fishburne has been cast as Perry White.

Tribal Warfare 08-03-2011 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7797432)

hmm, did not expect that

007 08-03-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7797432)

:spock:

Well, the Perry White we are used to won't be in this film then. Ever since he played Morphius he has acted the same in every role he plays.

Kind of the same way Denzel Washington seems like his role in Training Day in every film he has made since.

blaise 08-03-2011 09:33 AM

I read that on Variety, by the way.