ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink KC BBQ: The list and poll (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207630)

Terribilis 10-22-2009 07:51 PM

I routinely have to fight to defend KC BBQ from the North Carolinian's around here. They are pretty narrow-minded about BBQ.

stlchiefs 10-22-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 6197303)
I love gates sauce, but i love oklahoma joes sauce even more the 'nightmare on bbq sauce' sauce is the shit, you can buy that in stores too.

Night of the Living Sauce! Just used some for lunch. That stuff is the greatest. :clap:

Fire Me Boy! 10-22-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terribilis (Post 6197398)
I routinely have to fight to defend KC BBQ from the North Carolinian's around here. They are pretty narrow-minded about BBQ.

Same way here in SC. These people wouldn't know good BBQ if you shoved it down their gullets.

Sure-Oz 10-22-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlchiefs (Post 6197439)
Night of the Living Sauce! Just used some for lunch. That stuff is the greatest. :clap:

lol that's the name, and yes its the best

Extra Point 10-22-2009 09:35 PM

The best is in a lot of folks' back yards. I humbly think mine is.

Color Red 10-22-2009 09:46 PM

I love the great ones, any of them, Bryants, Gates, on and on. But one of my favorites that doesn't get mentioned much is Wyandotte BBQ. I especially love their beef sandwich, their hot fries wrapped in wax paper, and a bottle of RC. I'm especially nostalgic for their State Avenue location. Very consistent food.

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-22-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terribilis (Post 6197398)

Considering that their product is reeruned dog-vomit; **** them in the ass with a flaming Alomar branch.

Buck 10-22-2009 11:28 PM

Isn't North Carolina BBQ the one with the watery BBQ Sauce?

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-22-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 6197957)
Isn't North Carolina BBQ the one with the watery BBQ Sauce?

That'd be the vinegar pepper sauce to go with your extra-salty, nice and mushy pork-slop, and your side of coleslaw with ketchup in it.

Just makes your mouth water, don't it?

Buck 10-22-2009 11:32 PM

I've never had real BBQ in my life, I'm super jealous of all of you.

Sure-Oz 10-23-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 6197970)

haha my best friend moved to SD recently and misses bbq alot

Hammock Parties 10-23-2009 12:13 AM

Jack Stack's desserts are also incredible. I had their triple chocolate brownie sundae....OMFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

If I lived in KC I would go to Jack Stack's every week. It's also cozy as ****...great place for a date.

Saccopoo 10-23-2009 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised On Riots (Post 6197966)
That'd be the vinegar pepper sauce to go with your extra-salty, nice and mushy pork-slop, and your side of coleslaw with ketchup in it.

Just makes your mouth water, don't it?

Don't be a BBQ bigot.

Carolina sauce has it's place and can be very effective. In fact, I find that the true old style Carolina sauce is a dying breed in terms of culinary style. That the sweet KC style has dominated the market over the past 20 years is not a ringing endorsement of that particular brand of sauce, just that the general masses are more inclined to gravitate towards a sweeter sauce than a tart, vinegary type of sauce.

Personally, I find that the acceptance of the KC style sauce as "the BBQ sauce" in terms of the general consensus is, perhaps, leading to the eventual downfall of what was the greatest and initially accepted BBQ in the world. (And yes, I'm including Jamaican Jerk, Thai, Mongolian, etc. - KC BBQ put BBQ on the map in terms of cuisine, acceptable cuisine to even the gourmet chefs. It allowed the world wide style of "pit" cooking to be accepted as a singular method. They had to account for BBQ as a major influence in terms of culinary and consumer demand and style.)

To discount a particular style of BBQ in terms of it's regional preference is akin to discounting BBQ as an acceptable method for preparing meat in general.

I implore you to try various styles of American BBQ to fully appreciate and enjoy what the craft of open flame cooking provides.

(And I guarantee that the Carolina style will enhance your appreciation of grilled fish all the more.)

Fire Me Boy! 10-23-2009 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 6198106)
Don't be a BBQ bigot.

Carolina sauce has it's place and can be very effective. In fact, I find that the true old style Carolina sauce is a dying breed in terms of culinary style. That the sweet KC style has dominated the market over the past 20 years is not a ringing endorsement of that particular brand of sauce, just that the general masses are more inclined to gravitate towards a sweeter sauce than a tart, vinegary type of sauce.

Personally, I find that the acceptance of the KC style sauce as "the BBQ sauce" in terms of the general consensus is, perhaps, leading to the eventual downfall of what was the greatest and initially accepted BBQ in the world. (And yes, I'm including Jamaican Jerk, Thai, Mongolian, etc. - KC BBQ put BBQ on the map in terms of cuisine, acceptable cuisine to even the gourmet chefs. It allowed the world wide style of "pit" cooking to be accepted as a singular method. They had to account for BBQ as a major influence in terms of culinary and consumer demand and style.)

To discount a particular style of BBQ in terms of it's regional preference is akin to discounting BBQ as an acceptable method for preparing meat in general.

I implore you to try various styles of American BBQ to fully appreciate and enjoy what the craft of open flame cooking provides.

(And I guarantee that the Carolina style will enhance your appreciation of grilled fish all the more.)

The acceptance of vinegar/pepper and mustard sauces would be more acceptable if it didn't taste like shit.

:p

BigRedChief 10-23-2009 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 6197970)

The leading vote getter so far is jackstackBBQ. You can order their ribs, meat etc online at http://www.jackstackbbq.com/default.asp

You have to get you some cheesy corn from there too.

wildcat09 10-23-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 6198173)
The acceptance of vinegar/pepper and mustard sauces would be more acceptable if it didn't taste like shit.

THIS:thumb:

MOhillbilly 10-23-2009 07:51 AM

vinegar,pepper and mustard are you friend when Qing. love it.

Baby Lee 10-23-2009 08:00 AM

Quote:

Bandana's Carolina style [Hot], and KC style [Sweet and Smoky], are their co-MVPs.

I dish out two big pools of them and alternate.

KCUnited 10-23-2009 08:04 AM

OK Joe's Carolina pulled pork sandwich is in my top 5 mouthfuls of BBQ in the city.

Dottefan 10-23-2009 08:14 AM

OK Joe's ( the gas station location) and Bryants on 18Th st. Choosing between those two , is like asking a mother to choose her favorite kid..I love them both the same , but for different reasons.

Sure-Oz 10-23-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6198247)
The leading vote getter so far is jackstackBBQ. You can order their ribs, meat etc online at http://www.jackstackbbq.com/default.asp

You have to get you some cheesy corn from there too.

I think i dont like jackstack as much as OK Joes, (but it is great great bbq) but i think im mainly burned out cause my parents always mass order it every other weekend for dinner and i rarely have ok joes. I guess thats not a bad thing cause i still eat it all and love it

Reaper16 10-23-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Don't be a BBQ bigot.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the assertion that Jerk spice cooking and Mongolian BBQ are, in fact, actual styles of barbecue.

Demonpenz 10-23-2009 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SPIN SPIN...SPIN THE BLACKISH CIRCLE

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-23-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

This. And it has nothing to do with being a "BBQ Bigot"; I've tried the style and I simply do not want.

PunkinDrublic 10-23-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Don't be a BBQ bigot.

I'm more of a BBQ supremacist in that I believe all other BBQ regions are inferior in sauce and methods to KC. I do enjoy BBQ in other regions of the country including here in Texas but they all fall short compared to KC

wildcat09 10-23-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 6199308)
I'm more of a BBQ supremacist in that I believe all other BBQ regions are inferior in sauce and methods to KC. I do enjoy BBQ in other regions of the country including here in Texas but they all fall short compared to KC

well played, good sir.......THIS

Saccopoo 10-23-2009 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6198776)
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the assertion that Jerk spice cooking and Mongolian BBQ are, in fact, actual styles of barbecue.

I would categorize Jamaican Jerk style cooking as BBQ. They use a wet rub, and cook the chicken and pork pit style. Pretty much the same methodology used in most traditional BBQ cooking here in the states.

And if this ain't BBQ'ing, I don't know what is:

Them Mongols sure know how to grill up a marmot.

Reaper16 10-23-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 6199567)
I would categorize Jamaican Jerk style cooking as BBQ. They use a wet rub, and cook the chicken and pork pit style. Pretty much the same methodology used in most traditional BBQ cooking here in the states.

If the jerk spice rubbed meat is cooked with indirect heat, which I didn't think that it was for some reason, then I was wrong.

LOCOChief 10-23-2009 04:49 PM

I moved away from KC 7 years ago and MAN I MISS Zarda, Winslows and LC's. the wife and I go to Sonnys Real Pit here on Fridays for $10.99 baby backs, corn sweet potato ans slaw and it's not bad at all.

Saccopoo 10-23-2009 04:52 PM

Oh, and I do suggest you try some Carolina Style BBQ sauce on chicken or a shredded pork shoulder. I personally love it on grilled mako shark steaks. Here's my super secret recipe for Carolina BBQ sauce if you want to give it a whirl. I've made it a touch sweeter than is typical. Cut down/remove the hot sauce or cayenne if you like a little less heat to your sauce:

Carolina Style BBQ Sauce

1 c. prepared yellow mustard
¼ c. granulated sugar
¼ c. molasses
¼ c. honey
½ c. cider vinegar
1 T. white vinegar
1 T. balsamic vinegar
¼ c. light lager beer
1 T. vegetable oil
½ T. key lime juice
¼ t. hot sauce
¼ t. ground thyme
¼ t. white pepper
¼ t. fine ground black pepper
pinch of ground cayenne pepper

Mix and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-23-2009 06:37 PM

I never considered BBQ a "favorite food" until I moved to KC. If that doesn't say it all, nothing else will.

Adept Havelock 10-23-2009 06:46 PM

Snead's BBQ is still my favorite. Best Burnt Ends I've ever eaten, and the sauce isn't sweet.

Reaper16 10-23-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adept Havelock (Post 6199810)
Snead's BBQ is still my favorite. Best Burnt Ends I've ever eaten, and the sauce isn't sweet.

I really wish Snead's wasn't in the Belton area. I could go for some of their "brownies" right now.

BryanBusby 10-23-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adept Havelock (Post 6199810)

I like me some Snead's. Oden's BBQ is also great and I found another shop further down 58 into Belton called Micky B's BBQ which has some good pulled pork.

Been awhile since I've gone, but Smoken BBQ out in Lone Jack was nice. With Sneads, Odens, Micky B's and Jack Stacks within 15 minutes from me I'm surprised I'm not overweight.

BigRedChief 12-08-2009 09:04 AM

Orange County Chopper BBQ opens in Village West

http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/1616762.html

New barbecue restaurant combines meals with motorcycles

By JOYCE SMITH
The Kansas City Star
To take on Kansas City barbecue — and succeed — you’d better be prepared.

Count the new Backfire BBQ Featuring Orange County Choppers — three years in development — as well-prepared. The new restaurant and retail shop kicked off with a grand opening Monday in the Legends at Village West in Kansas City, Kan.

So chow down and let the barbecue debate begin.

“Backfire BBQ is bikes, burgers and barbecue. And it is a phenomenal collection of antique cars, antique jukeboxes, phenomenal neon signs,” said Steve Schussler, creator of Backfire BBQ as well as T-Rex Cafe, also in the Legends, and Rainforest Cafe, among other concepts.
“We have some of the most unusual decor that you will see in Kansas City, and what you don’t see, which is behind the scenes, is one of the world’s largest smokers.”

Backfire BBQ has gone full throttle, developing a menu under the culinary direction of Chicago’s Levy Restaurants, which oversees such award-winning restaurants as Spiaggia and Bistro 110 in that city.

“We spent a whole year testing food in their laboratories. So it is more about the food than the decor,” Schussler said. “You can’t think that your taste buds are going to be overwhelmed by the decor.”

The 8,300 square-foot operation at 1855 Village West Parkway (just 20 yards from T-Rex) seats 300 people amid custom-built choppers by Orange County Choppers, an open flame “hog pit,” 14 plasma televisions and artwork. It will have live music Thursday through Saturday nights.
Everything but the chocolate cake is made in-house, including the pickles, salad dressings, barbecue sauces, doughnuts (made to order and tossed tableside in cinnamon and sugar), apple cobbler and fried green tomatoes.
Backfire BBQ uses organic and local foods when possible.

Other menu items include chipotle deviled eggs, spiced barbecue shrimp, chili, a variety of burgers, meatloaf, salads, steak, catfish, and, of course, barbecue — ribs, brisket, pulled pork, and chicken — all cranked up on a smoker with a 1,400-pound capacity.

There’s even a s’mores kit that allows customers to make the marshmallow and chocolate treat at the restaurant or at home.On Monday, Paul Teutul Sr., chief executive officer of Orange County Choppers, and his two sons were at the grand opening. The stars of the television series “American Chopper” plan to stop several times a year.
Schussler chose the barbecue and bikes combination because it reminds him of the freedom of the open road.

“We’re in a barbecue town, and we said to ourselves, ‘OK, dare we open up barbecue in a barbecue town?’ ” he said. “The only way that you can do barbecue in a barbecue town — and a town that’s done barbecue well — is to be better. And we are so confident, not cocky confident, mind you, but we are so confident in our barbecue that I dare anybody to come in and not have our brisket melt in your mouth, our ribs fall off the bone.”

KCUnited 12-08-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6328389)

By JOYCE SMITH
The Kansas City Star
To take on Kansas City barbecue — and succeed — you’d better be prepared.

Count the new Backfire BBQ Featuring Orange County Choppers — three years in development — as well-prepared. The new restaurant and retail shop kicked off with a grand opening Monday in the Legends at Village West in Kansas City, Kan.

So chow down and let the barbecue debate begin.

“Backfire BBQ is bikes, burgers and barbecue. And it is a phenomenal collection of antique cars, antique jukeboxes, phenomenal neon signs,” said Steve Schussler, creator of Backfire BBQ as well as T-Rex Cafe, also in the Legends, and Rainforest Cafe, among other concepts.
“We have some of the most unusual decor that you will see in Kansas City, and what you don’t see, which is behind the scenes, is one of the world’s largest smokers.”

Backfire BBQ has gone full throttle, developing a menu under the culinary direction of Chicago’s Levy Restaurants, which oversees such award-winning restaurants as Spiaggia and Bistro 110 in that city.

“We spent a whole year testing food in their laboratories. So it is more about the food than the decor,” Schussler said. “You can’t think that your taste buds are going to be overwhelmed by the decor.”

The 8,300 square-foot operation at 1855 Village West Parkway (just 20 yards from T-Rex) seats 300 people amid custom-built choppers by Orange County Choppers, an open flame “hog pit,” 14 plasma televisions and artwork. It will have live music Thursday through Saturday nights.
Everything but the chocolate cake is made in-house, including the pickles, salad dressings, barbecue sauces, doughnuts (made to order and tossed tableside in cinnamon and sugar), apple cobbler and fried green tomatoes.
Backfire BBQ uses organic and local foods when possible.

Other menu items include chipotle deviled eggs, spiced barbecue shrimp, chili, a variety of burgers, meatloaf, salads, steak, catfish, and, of course, barbecue — ribs, brisket, pulled pork, and chicken — all cranked up on a smoker with a 1,400-pound capacity.

There’s even a s’mores kit that allows customers to make the marshmallow and chocolate treat at the restaurant or at home.On Monday, Paul Teutul Sr., chief executive officer of Orange County Choppers, and his two sons were at the grand opening. The stars of the television series “American Chopper” plan to stop several times a year.
Schussler chose the barbecue and bikes combination because it reminds him of the freedom of the open road.

“We’re in a barbecue town, and we said to ourselves, ‘OK, dare we open up barbecue in a barbecue town?’ ” he said. “The only way that you can do barbecue in a barbecue town — and a town that’s done barbecue well — is to be better. And we are so confident, not cocky confident, mind you, but we are so confident in our barbecue that I dare anybody to come in and not have our brisket melt in your mouth, our ribs fall off the bone.”

I'd say run them out of town but realized they're in Kansas anyway.

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-08-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 6328402)
I'd say run them out of town but realized they're in Kansas anyway.

ROFL:clap:

Just give me a shady part of town and the smell of hickory, and I'm good to go.

CHIEFS58 12-08-2009 01:01 PM

Jack Stacks ribs were heaven.

Reaper16 12-08-2009 01:50 PM

I'm going to go to Backfire BBQ and I expect disaster.

cookster50 12-08-2009 02:06 PM

Nothing says BBQ like Chicago consultants!

Phobia 12-08-2009 02:38 PM

My write-in is any backyard BBQer who has a partial understanding of slow smoking, dry rubs, and when to use sauce. Yes, that includes me but it also includes hundreds of other regular Joes in and around the area. It's not rocket science.

Fish 12-08-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6328389)

The new restaurant and retail shop....

This sounds like a cheap and hollow marketing campaign. And I hate those Orange County Chopper guys. Does this restaurant actually care about BBQ, or are they just trying to make another trendy expensive place to take your monies?

Monty 12-08-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 6329351)
My write-in is any backyard BBQer who has a partial understanding of slow smoking, dry rubs, and when to use sauce. Yes, that includes me but it also includes hundreds of other regular Joes in and around the area. It's not rocket science.

Yes! I'm on the list!! :D

BTW, your brisket on Sunday was OUTSTANDING!!!

Reaper16 12-08-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

You're correct but its unfair. The poll is clearly asking for places of commercial operation. I can't just drive to your house and expect to buy food from you.

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-08-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6329185)
I'm going to go to Backfire BBQ and I expect disaster.

But why? It sounds so perfect, authentic, and non-corporate!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookster50 (Post 6329260)
Nothing says BBQ like Chicago consultants!

Or a rib joint inspired by three mechanics from Jersey!

Woot! WOOT I SAY!

tooge 12-08-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

does that include pork "pulled" in a blender? ;)

Phobia 12-08-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty (Post 6329456)
Yes! I'm on the list!! :D

BTW, your brisket on Sunday was OUTSTANDING!!!

Thanks. I enjoyed it too. The burnt ends off that were amazing. It got a little more crispy than I wanted trying to keep the heat up in the cold temps but it really made the burnt ends legitimate.

Phobia 12-08-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 6329730)
does that include pork "pulled" in a blender? ;)

Why not? I know you competition boys laugh at me putting the pulled pork in a food processor but I like the fluffy texture. Plus it makes it look like there's double the meat. You have to take some risks to innovate and that's one of mine.

Phobia 12-08-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6329493)
You're correct but its unfair. The poll is clearly asking for places of commercial operation. I can't just drive to your house and expect to buy food from you.

If you give me 48 hours notice you can.

Stewie 12-08-2009 05:24 PM

When the focus is on things that aren't related to serving good food it's bound to fail. I may be proven wrong, but I bet their Q is average at best. That's alot of money invested to serve mediocre food.

Fire Me Boy! 12-08-2009 06:36 PM

:sulk:

I'm not in and around KC anymore, so I've lost my legitimacy.

Reaper16 12-08-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 6329808)
If you give me 48 hours notice you can.

Oh, you temptor. :drool:

KC is DEN's bitch 12-10-2009 05:28 PM

44-13ROFL

BigRedChief 12-17-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 6329798)
Thanks. I enjoyed it too. The burnt ends off that were amazing. It got a little more crispy than I wanted trying to keep the heat up in the cold temps but it really made the burnt ends legitimate.

His pulled pork is the best. :clap:

kcfanXIII 12-17-2009 01:45 PM

i'm more or less certain i said gates in this thread or another one like it. i would like to withdraw my nomination. the past few times i've been there the beef has been VERY fatty. to the point where when i get done eating, it looks like half a sandwich left on my plate. my vote is up for grabs, so sway me...

kcfanXIII 12-17-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 6329994)
:sulk:

I'm not in and around KC anymore, so I've lost my legitimacy.

and we're supposed to feel sorry for you beach boy? lol, jk man...

BryanBusby 02-08-2010 06:04 PM

Kind of a necro bump I suppose, but whatever.

For those of you looking to try out Sneads BBQ, don't bother. A friend and I went the other day and apparently the ownership has changed not long ago. Prices were higher, portions were smaller. Fries were barely warm. :(

It's too bad as they used to kick ass. If you're in Belton and looking for good BBQ, hit up Odens BBQ (they still own) instead or take the trip up Holmes road to Jackstacks.

Reaper16 02-08-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 6517009)
Kind of a necro bump I suppose, but whatever.

For those of you looking to try out Sneads BBQ, don't bother. A friend and I went the other day and apparently the ownership has changed not long ago. Prices were higher, portions were smaller. Fries were barely warm. :(

It's too bad as they used to kick ass. If you're in Belton and looking for good BBQ, hit up Odens BBQ (they still own) instead or take the trip up Holmes road to Jackstacks.

Sadness.

Mastashake 02-08-2010 06:16 PM

Some of these BBQ joints are way too pretty and new. They need to be run-down and in the bad part of town.

KCUnited 02-08-2010 06:30 PM

FWIW, Dickies BBQ is selling $1 pulled pork sandwiches every Monday for the rest of February. Haven't tried one, but ol boy next to me at work has been hitting them up for a bit. He also brought in a bacon explosion for a company food day, which I don't recommend.

DeezNutz 02-08-2010 06:36 PM

Burnt end on bun, ftmfw.

BryanBusby 02-08-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6517038)
Sadness.

If there's any consolation, they waived the check after my buddy told them the food sucked ass (his exact words) when someone came up and asked us how it was. :)

BigRedChief 02-12-2010 11:08 AM

Bump to find you a new place to replace LC's.

gblowfish 02-12-2010 11:11 AM

Go down the street a block to the east and try Big T's. It's good too.

BigRedChief 02-12-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 6527139)
Go down the street a block to the east and try Big T's. It's good too.

yeah, Big T's is very underrated. I like it too.

BigRedChief 05-20-2010 09:25 AM

The history of KC BBQ:
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/19...-barbecue.html

Posted on Wed, May. 19, 2010
Right on 'cue | Your guide to this weekend's Great American Barbecue Festival

By TIM ENGLE
The Kansas City Star
With all the meat at a big-time barbecue contest, you would think it would be easy to get your mouth on some.
Not necessarily true.

But this weekend’s Great American Barbecue Festival outside Sandstone Amphitheater is not just a competition, it’s a celebration of ’cue. And it’s hard to celebrate barbecue without sampling some. Vendors will sell traditional saucy fare — brisket sandwiches, ribs, pulled pork, wings — as well as exotic meats such as ostrich and alligator. (We bet it all tastes like barbecued chicken.)

“There will be absolutely no vegan specials,” promises organizer Paul Satterfield.

The people behind the Great American Barbecue like to call it the Mardi Gras of Meat and the Carnivore Carnivale, but it’s actually a family-friendly event. The only thing you’ll see flashed, as far as we know, is pork butt.
In honor of the festival’s sixth year, we’ve cooked up an assortment of lists, each with six items.

<HR class=infobox-hr-separator>
6 just-the-facts, ma’am

1. The Great American Barbecue Festival is Friday and Saturday in the parking lots outside Sandstone Amphitheater in Bonner Springs. Friday daytime is devoted to barbecue contests, so public gates don’t open until 3 p.m. On Saturday, gates open at 9 a.m.
2. Yes, the festival used to be on Memorial Day weekend. It’s a week earlier this year.
3. Admission is $10 per day for anyone 13 and older. Kids 12 and younger get in free. Or go both days for $15. Parking is free.
4. No animals, no coolers, no drinks or alcohol allowed in. But beverages (including beer) will be for sale.
5. Live bands on two stages 6-11 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday. Fireworks at about 10 p.m. Friday.
6. More info at www.thinkbbq.com.

6 wacky-named bbq teams

Some teams likely to be cooking at this weekend’s contest:
1. Briskets & Gravy
2. Hoosier Daddy
3. Jurassic Pork
4. Notorious P.I.G.
5. Ribs for Her Pleasure
6. Guys With Wood

6 things for the kids to do

1. Check out the “Kidz Que” competition 4:30-5:30 p.m. Friday — younger kids are cooking steak; older ones are doing pork chops. Adults are around to lend a hand. Awards ceremony at 7:15 p.m. Friday.
2. Bounce around on inflatables in the Kidz Zone.
3. Finger-paint with barbecue sauce.
4. Get their faces painted (not with barbecue sauce).
5. Ride carnival rides.
6. Sample Mother’s Cookies, making their KC area debut, and a new mac and cheese from Velveeta.

6 qualities a certified bbq judge looks for

You know, in barbecue. Not in a potential hookup.
1. Presentation: color, uniformity of pieces, aesthetic layout of pieces in the presentation box. And nothing weird: A team can’t make an initial with the sauce, for instance.
2. Tenderness. Overly tender = overcooked.
3. Taste. Although this should probably be at the top of the list.
4. Only three garnishes allowed: parsley, cilantro and green leaf lettuce.
5. Judges certified by the Kansas City Barbeque Society are “very picky,” Great American organizer Paul Satterfield says, but their training keeps subjectivity in check.
6. You can’t hurry barbecue: It takes six hours or so to smoke a chicken. It can take 20 hours to smoke a brisket.

6 regional bands you’ll want to catch

The festival has two stages this year. These six acts will appear on the main stage:
1. Scott Ford Band, 6 p.m. Friday
2. Loozin Sleep, 7:30 p.m. Friday
3. Six Degrees West, 9 p.m. Friday
4. Red Letter Hero, 12:30 p.m. Saturday
5. Brandon Miller Band, 2:30 p.m. Saturday
6. Big Foam Finger (with Fox 4’s Mike Thompson on guitar), 4 p.m. Saturday

1 eating activity and 5 non-eating activities

1. Help judge the sauce competition. You’ll get a little cup of meat, then you can choose the sauces and rubs you want to sample. (Find the People’s Choice tent.)
2. After you wolf down a plate of ’cue (for sale in BBQ Alley), something fried on a stick, some kettle corn, a funnel cake, an Italian ice and a couple of beers … go hop on a carnival ride. The whirlier the better!
3. Or take it a little easier, like a nice, calm Ferris wheel ride.
4. Watch other people eat: The competitive rib-eating contest goes down (and stays down, with any luck) at 2:30 p.m. Saturday (Fox 4 stage).
5. Check out the Southern Living mobile demonstration kitchen, the homegrown Bacon Explosion guys and other culinary demos.
6. Buy some barbecue gear — a smoker, maybe, or knives or sweet-smelling wood — for the Q-lover in your life.

6 fun festival factoids

1. The Great American Barbecue claims to be the world’s biggest barbecue festival and the second-largest sanctioned barbecue contest (behind the American Royal). Prize money up for grabs: $73,000.
2. There are two divisions of competition: The invitational is, as you’d guess, by invitation (those 30 teams have to have won a state championship). The open has attracted 200-plus teams this year. The open has lots of categories, including wings, side dishes and desserts.
3. Teams (whether competing in the invitational or the open) have to cook four meats: chicken, pork butt, pork ribs and brisket.
4. The winner of last year’s rib-eating competition ate 8.3 pounds of ribs in under seven minutes.
5. The festival is expecting 50,000 participants and attendees this year.
6. All those hungry people will require some 300,000 wet naps to wipe the sauce off their hands, faces and other body parts.

BigRedChief 08-22-2010 11:49 AM

Man, I miss KC BBQ down here in Tampa. But, there is a place called Sonny's thats not bad if you like the sweet BBQ style. Coming back on labor day. Heading to Jack stack as soon as I get off the plane.

007 08-22-2010 12:16 PM

I haven't eaten at any of those places so I will just say Phobia's.

KChiefs1 08-22-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilly (Post 5762072)
I'm goin with Bates City... just had it the other night....and was delicious.

Bates City is easily in the top 5 but for #1 I went with Jack Stack.

BigRedChief 08-22-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6948904)
I haven't eaten at any of those places so I will just say Phobia's.

I've had a lot of Phobia's BBQ. It ranks up there. I've told him he should go pro with it. Best pulled pork I've ever had.

Mama Hip Rockets 08-23-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 5762069)
Kansas City barbeque

Winslow’s KC-Style Barbeque
City Market, 20 E. Fifth St., Kansas City, Mo., 64106; 816-471-7427; www.winslowsbbq.com

I just ate here the other day, and it was dang good. Anybody else like Winslow's?

Fish 08-24-2010 07:44 AM

I tried Dickey's BBQ Pit over the weekend. Down in Overland Park in the shopping center. I was in the neighborhood and thought I'd give it a try.

It was really really terrible. Meat was decent, but absolutely no real smoke flavor at all. The brisket was like eating a roast that came out of the crock pot. Pit BBQ my ass... It was way overpriced as well.

Definitely would not recommend it.

MOhillbilly 08-24-2010 07:48 AM

Im sick of this debate.

You can make the best BBQ in the world right in your own backyard.

KCUnited 08-24-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 6951506)
I just ate here the other day, and it was dang good. Anybody else like Winslow's?

I live in the market and stopped eating there years ago. I do enjoy late Sunday afternoons on their patio with some beers though. They seem to turn over management quite a bit so maybe it has gotten better, but I was never impressed. My buddy got a half chicken their last time we went and said he enjoyed it.

BigRedChief 09-06-2010 07:17 PM

I was in town over the weekend and went to Jackstack BBQ.....It's still on top of its game. Cheesy corn as great as always. The beans had lots of meat in the serving. The Burnt ends and Ribs were top of the line.

Best commercial BBQ on Planet Earth. :thumb:

Reaper16 09-06-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6982278)
I was in town over the weekend and went to Jackstack BBQ.....It's still on top of its game. Cheesy corn as great as always. The beans had lots of meat in the serving. The Burnt ends and Ribs were top of the line.

**** you.

Pablo 09-06-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6982278)

I don't know dude.

I went to Arby's this weekend for their Arby-Q sandwich and I think it's probably the best commercial BBQ on Planet Earth.

BigRedChief 09-06-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PostRockPablo (Post 6982310)
I don't know dude.

I went to Arby's this weekend for their Arby-Q sandwich and I think it's probably the best commercial BBQ on Planet Earth.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.:LOL:

threebag 09-06-2010 07:34 PM

rabid dog that eats a couple day old dead raccoon from the side of the road in 105* heat gets sick and blows chow in a maggot infested cest pool=Gates.

McRib>Gates

EWOK 09-06-2010 07:38 PM

It has been almost 15 years since I have been to KC but is 135th ave (Keegan's) still there?