ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Brinkman smoke n grill (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260589)

KCUnited 08-28-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 8858735)
yeah, I like experimenting some. Particularly with fish and sausage recipes. I've pretty much got my ribs, butt, and brisket where I like them. The strangest thing i've heard of being smoked was a guy Phobia knew that smoked hard boiled eggs. One thing I've been wanting to try is curing and then smoking some catfish. Never know till you try i guess.

I read about someone smoking some water and freezing it for ice cubes for their bourbon, maybe I read that here, I can't remember.

I'd like to get into some charcuterie, I got a rock wall dungeonesque basement that stays pretty cool that I can envision with hanging hams and sausages.

htismaqe 08-28-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8858777)
I read about someone smoking some water and freezing it for ice cubes for their bourbon, maybe I read that here, I can't remember.

I'd like to get into some charcuterie, I got a rock wall dungeonesque basement that stays pretty cool that I can envision with hanging hams and sausages.

Yep, it was here. I remember reading about the ice cubes here.

FlaChief58 08-28-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8857815)
I've been known to play around with brisket too.. That was a good day. I was smoking for my team's wrestling tournament... The good and bad news is that it didn't last long at all! Thank God for electric slicers.... :D

Good lord man! Did you get that thing off a brontosaur? Looks good though.

FlaChief58 08-28-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8858672)

ROFL ROFL

I figured I'd catch hell for using propane. At least I don't use an electric model :)

lewdog 08-28-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 8858551)
During the week, I limit myself to smaller cuts of meat that don't take to much time. Sundays I break out the larger cuts that take all day. I use a propane fired Brinkman vertical smoker which makes setup a lot quicker too. 15 min after lighting, I'm at temp and ready to start cooking.

Shit, by the time I get home at 5 and set any of that up, I wouldn't be eating until after 9 for something that only took 4 hours to cook!

And "real" men like me use charcoal smokers but they sure are kind of a pain in the ass!

mlyonsd 08-28-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8860493)
And "real" men like me use charcoal smokers but they sure are kind of a pain in the ass!

Yeah, the idiots.

lewdog 08-28-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8860534)
Yeah, the idiots.

Eh, maybe right. Always just think that charcoal makes for better flavor but I have never tried a gas/electric smoker so I can't say I know for sure.

Sure would be easier to set the temp and forget though!

GloryDayz 08-28-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 8859485)
Good lord man! Did you get that thing off a brontosaur? Looks good though.

It was six full briskets.. I had to keep rotating them. I don't lose many "discussions" about getting new smokers or grills, but when I showed her the one I needed to smoke those properly, the ******* said no!! No meat for her! So it was a trailer! So I'd need a new truck to pull it! It's for the kids man (woman!!!)!!! I've cut her off ever since, and started feeding my meat to my avatar!

Great Expectations 08-28-2012 10:02 PM

I've been working on my brisket for a while and I doubt I'll ever fInish. A couple of tips that help me are to put olive oil instead of mustard on meat before the rub, I think it helps seal in some more moisture. Also, I don't seperate the point until the meat hits 165, at which point I also foil the flat, add rub to newly exposed portion and put a few ounces of apple juice in the foil. I then cook until it reaches 190 and pack it tightly in a cooler with the foil wrapped in towels. I lt sit for at least 2 1/2 hours and wait until theast possible moment to slice it.

I cube the point once it hits 190 and put a light BBQ sauce on it and put it in a hand made foul bowl for a few more hours at a slightly elevated temp (260 or so).

lewdog 08-31-2012 05:37 PM

Just went to Home Depot to get some Apple and Cherry Wood chunks for the pork loin ribs I am making tomorrow. Also picked up one of those rib racks where you can place the ribs on sideways and fit more on, seems they might smoke better that way too but who knows. Any reason not to use one of those?

GloryDayz 08-31-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8869077)
Just went to Home Depot to get some Apple and Cherry Wood chunks for the pork loin ribs I am making tomorrow. Also picked up one of those rib racks where you can place the ribs on sideways and fit more on, seems they might smoke better that way too but who knows. Any reason not to use one of those?

Have a blast doode... No matter what, have a blast and come back next week and make those better than this week!

lewdog 08-31-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8869103)
Have a blast doode... No matter what, have a blast and come back next week and make those better than this week!

Thanks man. Just trying hard to get it right because I would hate to spend all the money on the meat and totally **** it up!

GloryDayz 08-31-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8869110)
Thanks man. Just trying hard to get it right because I would hate to spend all the money on the meat and totally **** it up!

It'll happen from time to time, but you never want to get it too perect either. If you do, you might was well just die...there's nothing left to live for!

lewdog 08-31-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8869134)
It'll happen from time to time, but you never want to get it too perect either. If you do, you might was well just die...there's nothing left to live for!

Haha I ain't striving for perfection....just something edible. Only my second time using this thing tomorrow!

lewdog 08-31-2012 06:19 PM

And seriously this board is the only reason I ever thought about getting into smoking. Sure it is a time commitment but the striving for perfection and twists you can do to cook anything is very fun.

I will say having a rock yard like I do here in Phoenix makes things pretty easy because I can put shit anywhere and not have to worry about starting a fire. lol

GloryDayz 08-31-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8869144)
And seriously this board is the only reason I ever thought about getting into smoking. Sure it is a time commitment but the striving for perfection and twists you can do to cook anything is very fun.

I will say having a rock yard like I do here in Phoenix makes things pretty easy because I can put shit anywhere and not have to worry about starting a fire. lol

Until today, around here, just looking at the grass might have set it on fire. Now that the remnants of Issac are making their way through, I'm sure hear all about global drenching and how mud slides will end the earth...

jspchief 08-31-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8869110)

Just remember, ribs are about recognizing what "done" looks like. You can have a general idea of time, but you don't want to pull them early just because a clock says they are done.

GloryDayz 08-31-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8869474)
Just remember, ribs are about recognizing what "done" looks like. You can have a general idea of time, but you don't want to pull them early just because a clock says they are done.

Good point. And make sure you're NOT color blind! I had ribs at a restaurant tonight...after two I just quit... The dog gets the rest! Black is black, it's not the right color for ribs! Just crazy that they didn't just say, sorry we're out! Got a burger on the way home!

lewdog 08-31-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 8855507)
16oz tomato sauce
16oz ketchup
12oz chili sauce
1c apple cider vinegar
1c brown sugar
1c corn syrup
1/2c honey
1tbs worcestrshire
1tbs soy sauce
1/2c dry rub
1tbs hot sauce

simmer for 1/2hr

It makes a lot so, I usually make 1/2 a batch at a time unless I plan on cooking for a lot of people

So really n00b question but would I like the ribs marinate in this over night or is this something that just goes on a bit before I put them on the smoker?

mlyonsd 08-31-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8869588)
So really n00b question but would I like the ribs marinate in this over night or is this something that just goes on a bit before I put them on the smoker?

Well to me that marinade is an insane amount but whatever you do ribs should have 'something' on them at least the night before you put them on the smoker.

I put on my own dry rub the night before. Then I smoke them for 4 hours. Then only apply a small amount of sauce before putting them in foil. Then sauce them liberally when putting them on the grill for the finish. But to each their own.

jspchief 08-31-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8869588)

I wouldn't marinated them. Just put a dry rub on and use that as a sauce/mop.

FlaChief58 09-01-2012 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8869728)

This.

lewdog 09-01-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8869728)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 8869835)
This.

Perfect. Thanks guys!

lewdog 09-01-2012 01:23 PM

These are going on the smoker soon. Wish me luck!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...dog_5/ribs.jpg

FlaChief58 09-01-2012 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished these for my buddys FF party

lewdog 09-01-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 8870844)

Jesus those look awesome!

Made up your rib sauce and the girlfriend (who is the pickiest eater) loved it! Thanks.

In58men 09-01-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 8870844)

What are these can't really tell?

Shogun 09-01-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 8870880)

Bear hearts

In58men 09-01-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 8870884)
Bear hearts

ROFL ****ing dumbass

FlaChief58 09-01-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 8870880)

Chicken thighs

In58men 09-01-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 8870891)
Chicken thighs

Looks like they're wrapped in some kind of bacon goodness

FlaChief58 09-01-2012 03:32 PM

Nope, I do wrap breast with bacon, but that's just the skin on the thighs

lewdog 09-01-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8855280)
Simple.... (I'm lazy these days, so I use an electric Brinkman bullet!!)

1) Remove membrane (if you don't know, Google it!)
2) Rub of your flavor/heat on both sides
3) Regular mustard (no skimping) on both sides (the MOST important step!!)
4) 2 hours at 225ish degrees in the smoking Brinkman. (I like a little moisture too, so I add one inch of merlot to the water pan - water will do too!)

5) Add a little more rub
6) Place U-down on foil
7) Add some apple juice
8) 1.5 - 2 more hours on the smoker at 225

9) Remove foil
10) Put back on 225 smoker "U" up (careful, they could fall off the bone!!)
11) Add a touch more rub to the ribs
12) Add a light layer of honey (like I do like when I snapped the pic!!), or BBQ sauce ouf your choice and close the smoker.
13) 15-20 minuter later they're ready to eat!

Nothing stupid, just GD good ribs.... I've competed them for years and these are as good as any I've ever done. And they're simple...

The two on the right are the ones I cooked using this recipe and method from GloryDayz! Dude I loved these so much, easily my favorite ribs I have ever had. Sweet and spicy all in one.

They look pretty dark because we both like some good bark but even with how done they look they just fell off the bone. I was stunned.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...ibsalldone.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 8855507)
16oz tomato sauce
16oz ketchup
12oz chili sauce
1c apple cider vinegar
1c brown sugar
1c corn syrup
1/2c honey
1tbs worcestrshire
1tbs soy sauce
1/2c dry rub
1tbs hot sauce

simmer for 1/2hr

It makes a lot so, I usually make 1/2 a batch at a time unless I plan on cooking for a lot of people

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...bsonsmoker.jpg

Cooked the other four ribs on the left pan with this sauce from Flachief58. My girlfriend like these the best! These to me came out a bit too done IMO but they were still damn good. Not fall off the bone, but I don't believe all good ribs have to fall of the bone to be good. I added some sauce when served and it really provided a great flavor.

Saccopoo 09-01-2012 09:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
You one who sucks the peniss made me hungry, so I pulled some shit out of the freezer and just finished throwing them on. (Well, the butt anyway...the ribs will be going on tomorrow morning.):

GloryDayz 09-01-2012 09:56 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/43301b94-d8e0-169e.jpg

Bacon dressed pork tenderloin....

Saccopoo 09-01-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8871839)
Bacon dressed pork tenderloin....

Cool. Do you have one of those vertical smokers, and how does the meat stay on the grill?

GloryDayz 09-01-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8871842)
Cool. Do you have one of those vertical smokers, and how does the meat stay on the grill?

This was indirect-grilled. Pretty simple actually. This was only a third of the tenderloin.. Olive oil, dry rubs, salt/pepper, lay bacon on top. Grilled fat side down (because the bacon was on top), and let it go for a little more than two hours. Every 20 minutes I spritzed it with apple juice and had an open can of beer over each side (where the flames were) for a little more moisture. Time's not relevant, I just grilled it until the internal temp was 175.

And gravity is what keeps the meat on the grill... :thumb:

Saccopoo 09-01-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8871860)
This was indirect-grilled. Pretty simple actually. This was only a third of the tenderloin.. Olive oil, dry rubs, salt/pepper, lay bacon on top. Grilled fat side down (because the bacon was on top), and let it go for a little more than two hours. Every 20 minutes I spritzed it with apple juice and had an open can of beer over each side (where the flames were) for a little more moisture. Time's not relevant, I just grilled it until the internal temp was 175.

And gravity is what keeps the meat on the grill... :thumb:

I was being a smart ass about the picture orientation. I guess it didn't play well.

You took it to 175? That seems pretty high for a tenderloin.

tooge 09-01-2012 10:33 PM

Agree with the olive oil on the meat theory. Lots of the flavor components in spices are oil
Soluble, so oil is required to get them to come out

tooge 09-01-2012 10:38 PM

I posted this in another thread but it was good enough I thought I'd post it here. If u do a brisket, reserve the trimmed fat. Rub and smoke the meat. Half way through the smoke, lay the trimmed fat back over the brisket for the second half of the cook. It'll render and "baste" the meat. Remove it at ghe end. Ddlicious

In58men 09-02-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 8870884)
Bear hearts

I really hate to quote this again, but holy shit it's still funny to me.

IratePrimate 09-02-2012 01:45 AM

If anyone was on the fence on buying the tractor supply smoker its 20 bucks off right now.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/redston...asedPricingCmd

Saccopoo 09-02-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IratePrimate (Post 8872153)
If anyone was on the fence on buying the tractor supply smoker its 20 bucks off right now.

I don't mean to be a Smokey Mountain elitist, but that thing looks like complete shit from a build quality perspective.

Phobia 09-02-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8870848)
Jesus those look awesome!

Made up your rib sauce and the girlfriend (who is the pickiest eater) loved it! Thanks.

She is too. Drives me crazy. Just swallow it already.

Phobia 09-02-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 8871902)
Agree with the olive oil on the meat theory. Lots of the flavor components in spices are oil

I agree on beef. Still like the mustard on pork.

GloryDayz 09-02-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8871888)
I was being a smart ass about the picture orientation. I guess it didn't play well.

You took it to 175? That seems pretty high for a tenderloin.

LOL, I got the joke... 175 works fine in a house full of people WHO EAT SUSHI but want everything else cooked. And it's moist as all get out (with the bacon), so it's all the better... And it was AWESOME!

GloryDayz 09-02-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 8871902)

Indeed on the olive oil. Just adds an awesome taste to most things...

GloryDayz 09-02-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 8872204)
I agree on beef. Still like the mustard on pork.

I do at the beginning. My final glaze is usually honey, olive oil, and a dash or five of thin rub. So I still get it into pork too..

Saccopoo 09-02-2012 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just added a handful of briquettes, kicked the coals a bit, smoke popped right up for the last leg. Ribs have been on approximately 3 1/2 hours now. The beans are getting crafted as is the sauces.

GloryDayz 09-02-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8872570)
Just added a handful of briquettes, kicked the coals a bit, smoke popped right up for the last leg. Ribs have been on approximately 3 1/2 hours now. The beans are getting crafted as is the sauces.

Like!!!!!!!!

GloryDayz 09-02-2012 12:06 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/a693681c-a030-1250.jpg

Going very well....

Bill Lundberg 09-02-2012 12:10 PM

Bunch of meat gazers here. With that in mind, I'm doing this tomorrow for a ff draft. Made it one other time and it turned out really good. Think I'll add some polish sassage as well.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Burnt-Ends

FlaChief58 09-02-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8872671)

NICE :drool:

mikeyis4dcats. 09-02-2012 12:31 PM

you guys have pressured me into deciding to pull the bullet smoker out of the basement and go buy some loin back ribs at HyVee ($1.99/lb)

lewdog 09-02-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8872563)
I do at the beginning. My final glaze is usually honey, olive oil, and a dash or five of thin rub. So I still get it into pork too..

I think your recommendation for a final glaze of honey was simply amazing yesterday on my ribs! I loved how that sweetness actually brought out a bit more spicy in my rub. Ultimate sweet and spicy experience.

FlaChief58 09-02-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8871480)
The two on the right are the ones I cooked using this recipe and method from GloryDayz! Dude I loved these so much, easily my favorite ribs I have ever had. Sweet and spicy all in one.

They look pretty dark because we both like some good bark but even with how done they look they just fell off the bone. I was stunned.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...ibsalldone.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...bsonsmoker.jpg

Cooked the other four ribs on the left pan with this sauce from Flachief58. My girlfriend like these the best! These to me came out a bit too done IMO but they were still damn good. Not fall off the bone, but I don't believe all good ribs have to fall of the bone to be good. I added some sauce when served and it really provided a great flavor.

It looks like you may have put too much sugar/sauce on at the beginning. I did that at the too when I first started smoking with the same results as you which is too dark for my taste. To get that great mahogany color, start with a low sugar dry rub, then when you wrap them you can add your sweetness or mop.

lewdog 09-02-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 8872755)
It looks like you may have put too much sugar/sauce on at the beginning. I did that at the too when I first started smoking with the same results as you which is too dark for my taste. To get that great mahogany color, start with a low sugar dry rub, then when you wrap them you can add your sweetness or mop.

We do like them dark but I agree, was probably too much brown sugar in my initial rub. Will definitely try your suggestion next time.

In58men 09-02-2012 01:16 PM

What's the normal temperature for cooking ribs for 2 hours? 265?

Pork ribs btw

Saccopoo 09-02-2012 01:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Back sauce is for the butt, the front sauce for the ribs.

Here are the ribs right before I sauced them.

GloryDayz 09-02-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8872724)
you guys have pressured me into deciding to pull the bullet smoker out of the basement and go buy some loin back ribs at HyVee ($1.99/lb)

Limit two per customer... The one time the wife and kids can go shopping with me!

FlaChief58 09-02-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8872792)
Back sauce is for the butt, the front sauce for the ribs.

Here are the ribs right before I sauced them.

Looking good!

mikeyis4dcats. 09-02-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8872822)
Limit two per customer... The one time the wife and kids can go shopping with me!

buy 2 go to car, buy 2 go to car, buy 2 go to car....

GloryDayz 09-02-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8872748)
I think your recommendation for a final glaze of honey was simply amazing yesterday on my ribs! I loved how that sweetness actually brought out a bit more spicy in my rub. Ultimate sweet and spicy experience.

Well I'm glad I could help.. LOL, we ought to do a "new style" competition.. Like modern-day youth sports, there are no losers! Basically the folks I "compete" with just get together and grill. One of the guys owns a landscaping business and lives on a farm, so he invites his clients out to the farm "for the day" and we grill for them. Once the clients leave, amongst the grillers and a select few, we decide who had the best stuff. And since there's no pressure for anything but the annual beer mug (that everybody "wins"!!), there's only pride. And when pride is on the line, the clients have no idea how good the food is that they're eating. I make a flank steak and a shrimp dish along with ribs and a brisket, and I've never had any left.

We've all done the formal competitions, and they are what they are....confusing. Not that you're sure your stuff was best, you ARE SURE the folks who won didn't have the best stuff either, perhaps the biggest rig, but not the best meat.

GloryDayz 09-02-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 8872782)
What's the normal temperature for cooking ribs for 2 hours? 265?

Pork ribs btw

For me, 265 would be a fast cook.. I like 225-230. If you're going 265, I'd make sure there plenty of moisture in the grill...

GloryDayz 09-02-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8872831)
buy 2 go to car, buy 2 go to car, buy 2 go to car....

Or know the folks at Hy-Vee.... But the trip to and from the car can be considered the day's cardio workout!

mikeyis4dcats. 09-02-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8872849)
Or know the folks at Hy-Vee.... But the trip to and from the car can be considered the day's cardio workout!

yeah, given our HyVee I wouldn't expect any troubles buying more than 2....they are easy going.

Saccopoo 09-02-2012 02:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finished product. Now I'm off to the pool to enjoy a little sun, water, beer and BBQ. You all have a nice weekend.

GloryDayz 09-02-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8872873)
Finished product. Now I'm off to the pool to enjoy a little sun, water, beer and BBQ. You all have a nice weekend.

Rep!!!!!!!!! Have a good one...

FlaChief58 09-02-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8872873)

Very nice, enjoy! :)

jspchief 09-02-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8872724)

Are they the injected ones? or from the meat case?

lewdog 09-02-2012 05:29 PM

What is the best way to "reheat" the ribs I made yesterday?

Shogun 09-02-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8873047)

i always use the oven imo

FlaChief58 09-02-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8873047)

Wrap in foil to keep them moist & pop em in the oven

mikeyis4dcats. 09-02-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8872948)
Are they the injected ones? or from the meat case?

cryovac Armour

Bill Lundberg 09-03-2012 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 102039

Game on!

gblowfish 09-03-2012 11:01 AM

Yesterday I did baby back ribs and turkey breast. Apple wood for the smoke. I marinated the ribs overnight in apple cider vinegar, apple juice, brown sugar salt. Turkey brined with kosher salt and sugar. Cut down on the salt in the dry rub this time, everything turned out great. I tried a Famous Dave sauce called Apricot Chipolte on the ribs. Hot, sweet, tangy, very good. Best thing for turkey is Gates original. Ribs were fall off the bone tender, turkey was moist inside and very tasty. Also smoked the bbq breans. The smoke really punches them up. All in all, a good day in the smoker.

Raiderhater 09-03-2012 12:08 PM

I am completely experimenting today. Working with a piece of meat that I've never used before. Going to smoke which I've never done before. And I completely guessed on my marinade, one ingredient I'm already questioning but, that is what happens when you are concocting it at 4 in the morning.

I picked up a boneless pork loin ribeye roast that is a shade over 2 1/2 lbs. It is marinating in extra virgin olive oil, ground mustard, garlic pepper and oregano (the spice I'm wondering what I was thinking about). I have apple juice to apply during the cooking. And I'm using hickory chips. I have some Stubbs Hickory Bourbon BBQ sauce that I was thinking about basting the pork with towards the end of cooking. But I'm not sure now with the oregano fuck up.

Anyway, I have no idea what in the hell I'm doing but, it is going to be fun learning. :)

gblowfish 09-03-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 8874082)
I am completely experimenting today. Working with a piece of meat that I've never used before. Going to smoke which I've never done before. And I completely guessed on my marinade, one ingredient I'm already questioning but, that is what happens when you are concocting it at 4 in the morning.

I picked up a boneless pork loin ribeye roast that is a shade over 2 1/2 lbs. It is marinating in extra virgin olive oil, ground mustard, garlic pepper and oregano (the spice I'm wondering what I was thinking about). I have apple juice to apply during the cooking. And I'm using hickory chips. I have some Stubbs Hickory Bourbon BBQ sauce that I was thinking about basting the pork with towards the end of cooking. But I'm not sure now with the oregano fuck up.

Anyway, I have no idea what in the hell I'm doing but, it is going to be fun learning. :)

Don't over-do it with the hickory. Little dab'll do ya.

In58men 09-03-2012 12:41 PM

Never use lighter fluid or liquid smoke in marinades.

In58men 09-03-2012 01:28 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/04/y5adyvyr.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/04/atyzazus.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/04/ru8e7ujy.jpg

Sweet and spicy ribs. Result pictures next. It's a process