ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics The Android Tablet Watch Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243749)

Buck 12-20-2011 02:39 AM

Amazon Warehouse deals has the Galaxy 10.1 for $363. It's used, but you get all the assurances you do when you buy a new item through them, meaning I can return it if something is wrong.

Worth it or no?

Buck 12-21-2011 04:16 PM

Got my Galaxy 10.1, thing is sweet.

DaFace 12-22-2011 01:03 AM

The Prime's available to order on Amazon now, but the expected ship date is 4-7 weeks. :(

Swanman 12-24-2011 10:38 PM

I just got surprised with the Transformer Prime for Christmas from my wife. She ordered the Monday after Thanksgiving from Best Buy and got lucky to get in before everything sold out and it arrived a few short days before Christmas, so she was freaking a bit.

I haven't played with it much, but so far it's really awesome. It has an extremely sturdy build with the gorilla glass (same as used on phones like the Evo). I have an Archos 101 and while it was a good tablet for its time, it feels downright flimsy compared with the Prime. I can tell it has a kickass processor because there are no delays at all launching stuff (the Archos would take way too long to boot up). The picture is super crisp and I watched a few minutes of Netflix and it came through in great HD. I am going to load some movies from my laptop onto the Prime soon and see how it does there. I have never used an Ipad, but I have to think this tablet will be a decent competitor.

Dave Lane 12-24-2011 10:44 PM

Can you jailbreak these things?

DaFace 12-24-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8235369)
I just got surprised with the Transformer Prime for Christmas from my wife. She ordered the Monday after Thanksgiving from Best Buy and got lucky to get in before everything sold out and it arrived a few short days before Christmas, so she was freaking a bit.

I haven't played with it much, but so far it's really awesome. It has an extremely sturdy build with the gorilla glass (same as used on phones like the Evo). I have an Archos 101 and while it was a good tablet for its time, it feels downright flimsy compared with the Prime. I can tell it has a kickass processor because there are no delays at all launching stuff (the Archos would take way too long to boot up). The picture is super crisp and I watched a few minutes of Netflix and it came through in great HD. I am going to load some movies from my laptop onto the Prime soon and see how it does there. I have never used an Ipad, but I have to think this tablet will be a decent competitor.

Damn, I'm jealous. I should've jumped on the preorder bandwagon, but kept putting it off. Now, I've just resigned myself to wait until I can go grab one at Best Buy or something.

DaFace 12-24-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 8235384)
Can you jailbreak these things?

Not sure if a root has been done for the Prime yet if you're specifically asking about that, but just about any major Android device can be rooted. It's just a matter of time to wait until someone figures out how and posts it online.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-24-2011 10:46 PM

I snatched up an Acer Iconia 16 Gig w/ a 10" screen for 249 from Beach Camera a few weeks back. My wife seems to really like it.

Buck 12-25-2011 06:03 AM

Benefits/Disadvantages of rooting?

Swanman 12-25-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8235780)
Benefits/Disadvantages of rooting?

This is just my amateur opinion as I have never done it, but the main benefit is that you increase the number of apps you can use on the device (including apps you won't find on the market) and you have more freedom to tweak the device. The main disadvantage I can think of is if you mess up the rooting you can really screw up the device, void warranties, etc.

Swanman 12-25-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8235385)
Damn, I'm jealous. I should've jumped on the preorder bandwagon, but kept putting it off. Now, I've just resigned myself to wait until I can go grab one at Best Buy or something.

If my wife would have waited one more day, I wouldn't have the Prime today. It was just lucky timing.

I loaded up a few blu ray rips and downloaded a free movie player app and it is playing VLC and AAC files like a champ. I am just impressed how smoothly it moves from app to app, the Archos was always clunky as hell. It helps that the Prime has about 10x the processing power.

DaveNull 12-26-2011 08:37 AM

The Prime makes much more sense to me as a Windows 8 machine than Android.

DaFace 12-31-2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8237021)
The Prime makes much more sense to me as a Windows 8 machine than Android.

I know they're planning one for later in the year or in 2013.

In case anyone's looking for the Prime like me, Office Depot has it available for order.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-TF201-Tablet/

My delivery date shifted back to 1/12/2012 when I ordered, though. Hopefully they stick to that.

Buck 01-02-2012 11:02 AM

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1422983

No rooting the Prime.

Fish 01-02-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8255153)

Wow.... that's unbelievable... Shame on you Asus...

DaFace 01-02-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8255153)

Wow...that's pretty obnoxious. I don't know that I care as much since Wifi Tethering is the main reason I root my phones, but still...I'd like to have the option to do it if I really wanted to.

AustinChief 01-02-2012 06:48 PM

Don't freak out. Asus is likely waiting to unlock the bootloader until AFTER the big ICS FOTA update in the next week or so. This is very very likely only a temporary problem.

Buck 01-03-2012 07:00 PM

I cant wait for you to get your Prime and tell me how good it is.

DaFace 01-03-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8260259)
I cant wait for you to get your Prime and tell me how good it is.

I can't wait to get it. I keep checking the order status page, but it just says "Pending 3 day delivery." Oh well.

For what it's worth, here's ASUS' response to the locked bootloader issue:

Quote:

Regarding the bootloader, the reason we chose to lock it is due to content providers' requirement for DRM client devices to be as secure as possible. ASUS supports Google DRM in order to provide users with a high quality video rental experience. Also, based on our experience, users who choose to root their devices risk breaking the system completely. However, we know there is demand in the modding community to have an unlocked bootloader. Therefore, ASUS is developing an unlock tool for that community. Please do note that if you choose to unlock your device, the ASUS warranty will be void, and Google video rental will also be unavailable because the device will be no longer protected by security mechanism.

Mojo Rising 01-04-2012 09:54 PM

I have read on this thread that you can share the apps that you purchased on one Android device with another Android device as long as I have the same Google account.

I just bought the Vizio Tab which is great and I purchased Isyncr for my Samsung Galaxy S II and I want to download it to the tab so I can sync my Itunes music.

Anyone know how to do this?

Fish 01-05-2012 11:22 AM

Nice little Toshiba Thrive on Woot.com today...

Toshiba Thrive 10.1” 16GB Android Tablet with Wi-Fi

$279.99
+ $5 shipping

kcxiv 01-05-2012 05:26 PM

i know soemone who sells Samsung Galaxy's on the blackmarket. I dont have the cash right now. 275 brand new in the box isnt to bad. I will have me one soon!!!

Crush 01-09-2012 09:11 PM

Ice Cream Sandwich is now rolling out for the Transformer Prime.

DaFace 01-09-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 8281129)
Ice Cream Sandwich is now rolling out for the Transformer Prime.

And mine arrives via UPS tomorrow. PBJ PBJ

Buck 01-09-2012 09:49 PM

DO AN UNBOXING VID!

DaFace 01-09-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8281379)
DO AN UNBOXING VID!

Ha...I don't have near the level of "interesting" for that. I'll post my impressions from time to time, though.

KCFalcon59 01-10-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8281347)
And mine arrives via UPS tomorrow. PBJ PBJ

Will it have ICS pre-installed or will you be updating it first thing?

DaFace 01-10-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFalcon59 (Post 8282003)
Will it have ICS pre-installed or will you be updating it first thing?

I'll have to update it. Looks to be a pretty quick process, though.

Unfortunately, it may not be until tomorrow until I get it. I thought it'd arrive early since it hit my distribution facility Sunday night, but for some reason it's still not out for delivery. Oh well. :sulk:

Swanman 01-10-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8282190)
I'll have to update it. Looks to be a pretty quick process, though.

Unfortunately, it may not be until tomorrow until I get it. I thought it'd arrive early since it hit my distribution facility Sunday night, but for some reason it's still not out for delivery. Oh well. :sulk:

My Prime updated this morning. The update took almost no time at all. The tablet ran great before so ICS wasn't some religious experience but I noticed some improvements in responsiveness. I am getting pretty hooked on the thing. Last night I was playing Star Wars The Old Republic while watching the football game on the tablet using my Slingbox.

007 01-11-2012 01:37 AM

Can't wait for the devs to start pushing out ICS for the lesser devices.

DaFace 01-11-2012 04:10 PM

It begins...

DaFace 01-12-2012 05:31 PM

A couple first impressions of the Prime. The caveat here is that this is the only Android tablet I've held for more than 15 seconds in a store, so I'm not going to be very good at comparing this to others out there.
  • The immediate eye grabber is that the Prime is both thinner and lighter than about anything else I've seen. It's noticeably thinner than the iPad and is technically a little thinner than the iPad2. It's pretty comfortable to hold in your hand, though it's a little too large to be an ideal e-reader. Not that I mind, but it's a little tougher to one-hand than my wife's Kindle Prime.
  • The screen seems pretty fantastic to me. I doubt it's dramatically better than other 10.1" tablets out there, but the screen is very clear and crisp. The Prime has a built-in brightness adjust, so it is brighter when you're in bright light and dimmer than dim light. However, I'm a fan of bright screens, so I've overridden it a time or two.
  • If you're the gaming type, the graphics are damn good for a tablet. I played around with a couple demo games with "HD" graphics, and it performed flawlessly. It actually ships with a special "app store" specifically with games designed for the Tegra chip.
  • The ICS update was very quick and easy. It took maybe 10 minutes to download and 10 to install, and that was on our slow work network. I never really used Honeycomb, but I've read that it wasn't great at web browsing and that type of thing. I don't have any complaints about the speed of the browser or anything, so I think that's a positive.
  • Other things that I THINK are ICS-specific are a dedicated area for widgets in the "app listing" window, a dramatically improved settings window (compared to Gingerbread at least), and a better system (swiping) for removing apps from your "last used" list.
  • It ships with Polaris Office, which makes it pretty easy to open up documents from email and that type of thing. Coupled with Dropbox, it makes for a pretty quick and easy way of viewing documents on the thing. I might actually be productive on it from time to time!

Anyway, I certainly don't have any complaints. If any of you are thinking about it and have any questions, let me (or Swanman) know. I'm sure we can answer anything you want to know. To me, though, it just works.

Swanman 01-12-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8289567)
A couple first impressions of the Prime. The caveat here is that this is the only Android tablet I've held for more than 15 seconds in a store, so I'm not going to be very good at comparing this to others out there.
  • The immediate eye grabber is that the Prime is both thinner and lighter than about anything else I've seen. It's noticeably thinner than the iPad and is technically a little thinner than the iPad2. It's pretty comfortable to hold in your hand, though it's a little too large to be an ideal e-reader. Not that I mind, but it's a little tougher to one-hand than my wife's Kindle Prime.
  • The screen seems pretty fantastic to me. I doubt it's dramatically better than other 10.1" tablets out there, but the screen is very clear and crisp. The Prime has a built-in brightness adjust, so it is brighter when you're in bright light and dimmer than dim light. However, I'm a fan of bright screens, so I've overridden it a time or two.
  • If you're the gaming type, the graphics are damn good for a tablet. I played around with a couple demo games with "HD" graphics, and it performed flawlessly. It actually ships with a special "app store" specifically with games designed for the Tegra chip.
  • The ICS update was very quick and easy. It took maybe 10 minutes to download and 10 to install, and that was on our slow work network. I never really used Honeycomb, but I've read that it wasn't great at web browsing and that type of thing. I don't have any complaints about the speed of the browser or anything, so I think that's a positive.
  • Other things that I THINK are ICS-specific are a dedicated area for widgets in the "app listing" window, a dramatically improved settings window (compared to Gingerbread at least), and a better system (swiping) for removing apps from your "last used" list.
  • It ships with Polaris Office, which makes it pretty easy to open up documents from email and that type of thing. Coupled with Dropbox, it makes for a pretty quick and easy way of viewing documents on the thing. I might actually be productive on it from time to time!

Anyway, I certainly don't have any complaints. If any of you are thinking about it and have any questions, let me (or Swanman) know. I'm sure we can answer anything you want to know. To me, though, it just works.

Good, now I have a fellow dork to compare notes with. The main two impressions I have of the Prime are: it is insanely responsive because of the Tegra 3 chip and the screen is terrific. The gorilla glass really helps. I have been using the Prime a lot lately to read comics, so I have been using ACV, which works really well in portrait. I got Angry Birds and Burn the City (very similar games) and the graphics look perfect. During lunch I watch Netflix and the picture is HD quality using my mediocre work wifi. I also got the tablet slingbox app and it works like a charm.

DaFace 01-13-2012 10:09 AM

One negative: the charger apparently is a cheap piece of crap. It worked fine Day 1, but when I plugged it in last night, it wouldn't charge. After reading around online, it apparently is prone to overheating, so it's best not to leave it (the charger) plugged into an outlet all day long. I unplugged it for an hour, and it started working again.

C'mon ASUS...this was a problem for the original Transformer. It shouldn't be THAT hard to fix.

Swanman 01-13-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8290828)
One negative: the charger apparently is a cheap piece of crap. It worked fine Day 1, but when I plugged it in last night, it wouldn't charge. After reading around online, it apparently is prone to overheating, so it's best not to leave it (the charger) plugged into an outlet all day long. I unplugged it for an hour, and it started working again.

C'mon ASUS...this was a problem for the original Transformer. It shouldn't be THAT hard to fix.

It sucks that they didn't go with a standard mini/micro usb charge plug. It's nice being able to charge my phone and kindle with the same charger. Maybe the table uses too much power for that.

DaFace 01-13-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8291848)
It sucks that they didn't go with a standard mini/micro usb charge plug. It's nice being able to charge my phone and kindle with the same charger. Maybe the table uses too much power for that.

Yeah, I agree. The ASUS adapter is 2.5A, which is pretty beefy as power adapters go, so I'd imagine you're correct on the reasoning.

(Still sucks that it's a finicky product, though.)

DaFace 01-22-2012 10:55 AM

Woot's starting to do a lot of these refurb sales. The Acer Iconia A500's there today (refurbished) for $300.

http://www.woot.com/

Micjones 01-23-2012 05:49 PM

I got a Velocity Micro Cruz for Christmas.

I'm happy with it. Great features for the price.
The only downside to it is the camera it lacks.

kcxiv 01-23-2012 06:00 PM

Im still ****ing stuck on what to get kindle or nook tablet ughh. Leaning towards the kindle though. I hear its easier to mod and im a noob in that area.

Scorp 01-23-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 8321999)
Im still ****ing stuck on what to get kindle or nook tablet ughh. Leaning towards the kindle though. I hear its easier to mod and im a noob in that area.

Well the Kindle Fire is very rugged. My daughter left her Fire in the freezer for 24 hours and it turned on and still works like a charm, If that helps your decision any. She left it in the freezer for 24 hours!!!!!:(

DaFace 01-23-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorp (Post 8322046)
Well the Kindle Fire is very rugged. My daughter left her Fire in the freezer for 24 hours and it turned on and still works like a charm, If that helps your decision any. She left it in the freezer for 24 hours!!!!!:(

Umm...how does such an event occur? Did she mistake it for a Tony's pizza?

DaFace 01-23-2012 07:20 PM

As for the Fire, my wife loves hers as an eReader, web browser, and basic app player. It is, however, pretty locked down as Android tablets go. Out of the box at least, you have to get everything from Amazon's app store, and they don't have most of the Google apps that I use all the time.

Never personally used a Nook, so I can't speak much to that.

pr_capone 01-23-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8322114)
As for the Fire, my wife loves hers as an eReader, web browser, and basic app player. It is, however, pretty locked down as Android tablets go. Out of the box at least, you have to get everything from Amazon's app store, and they don't have most of the Google apps that I use all the time.

How good is it as an eReader? I miss the E Ink display on my old Sony reader... I'm using my 10.1 Android Tablet with an LCD screen to read and it isn't horrible but nowhere near as nice to read off of as the Sony was.

DaFace 01-23-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 8322133)
How good is it as an eReader? I miss the E Ink display on my old Sony reader... I'm using my 10.1 Android Tablet with an LCD screen to read and it isn't horrible but nowhere near as nice to read off of as the Sony was.

About as you'd expect: not as good as eInk, but it works OK. I wouldn't think it'd be any better than your Android tablet.

The main complaint she has is that there's quite a bit of glare on the screen. I haven't used them, but I've seen a number of companies offering anti-glare screen protectors, so that might help. She hasn't been annoyed enough to look into it much, though.

aturnis 01-23-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorp (Post 8322046)

Actually, cold does not affect electronics. Except for batteries of course, and some screens(only while cold though).

Lost of companies who sell electronics where specs are very important to the enduser(amps for audiophiles), they will test their equipment in sub zero freezers, b/c they can get better numbers out of it before if burns out. Heat, is the real enemy of electronics.

kcxiv 01-23-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8322114)

i think i am leaning towards the fire. Im ok not having alot of apps. My ipod touch, has everything i need for podcasts and audio. I just want something to surf the net at night since my laptop took a shit. I try with my ipod, but its just too damned small. Ill just keep it as my audio device.

Luckily i still have a few more weeks left to make up my mind. I just want to see some impressions of the Nook, they are hard to find as not many have one.

Scorp 01-23-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8322109)
Umm...how does such an event occur? Did she mistake it for a Tony's pizza?

I really don't know. I just know I found it ice cold, and thought WTF? She said I have been looking all over for my Kindle Fire. :spock:

pr_capone 01-23-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8322150)
I wouldn't think it'd be any better than your Android tablet.

That is the only thing keeping me from buying a Fire.

DaFace 01-29-2012 07:40 PM

Quick update on the Prime. I'm thrilled with the "important" stuff, but I've had fairly major issues in a couple "unimportant" areas. My AC charger has a weird issue where it won't charge the tablet if I leave it plugged in all the time. I have to unplug it for a bit, then plug it back in for it to work. I've read online that they have a common overheating issue of some sort that resets after you leave it unplugged for a bit. Annoying, but I was living with that one.

The second issue is that there's a piece of plastic in the middle of the port where you plug the power cord in that just broke off. Admittedly, I set it down somewhat awkwardly, but it wasn't THAT hard.

Anyway, it's going in for warranty service. I'm still generally happy with the purchase, but you'd think a "premium" product like this would have better QC.

Bewbies 01-29-2012 08:44 PM

I love my Fire. For reading in bed its top notch.

kcxiv 01-31-2012 10:47 PM

Got. A fire today love it so far. Posting from it now.

KCFalcon59 01-31-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 8340177)
Got. A fire today love it so far. Posting from it now.

Same here. Got mine yesterday and I like it a lot. Perfect for next to my bed. Had a few gift cards and got it for half price. Sweet.

kcxiv 02-01-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFalcon59 (Post 8340283)
Same here. Got mine yesterday and I like it a lot. Perfect for next to my bed. Had a few gift cards and got it for half price. Sweet.

Now I need a usb cable.for this. Didn't come with one.

WoodDraw 02-01-2012 10:14 PM

I really don't like how Amazon is trying to split the Android market. Some of it comes from Google ****ing up, and some of it comes from content providers being cavemen, but it worries me. Especially if they continue to subsidize prices. Hopefully the competition leads to Google releasing a well made Nexus tablet though. Because it's needed.

Over the past month or so, I've been able to spend a lot of time with and iPad 2, Prime, and Fire. The iPad is easily the best device, although it has issues that drive me crazy (for a company as obsessed with experience, I can't understand how they've made it so hard to switch between applications). The Fire is the worst. But it does what it does well enough. It's just not a true "tablet", in the sense of Google and Apple. The Prime is also very nice, at least with ICS. Still would never recommend it to a basic user over the iPad though.

DaFace 02-01-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 8340354)

Really? My wife's had one of those adapters that's just a plug for a usb cable to charge it. So you just unplug it from the adapter and into the computer and you're good to go.

kcxiv 02-02-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8342508)
Really? My wife's had one of those adapters that's just a plug for a usb cable to charge it. So you just unplug it from the adapter and into the computer and you're good to go.

I cant its a wall only cable on this one. I bought the adapted for the Pc though. Only 3 bucks

Fish 02-02-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8342498)
I really don't like how Amazon is trying to split the Android market. Some of it comes from Google ****ing up, and some of it comes from content providers being cavemen, but it worries me. Especially if they continue to subsidize prices. Hopefully the competition leads to Google releasing a well made Nexus tablet though. Because it's needed.

Over the past month or so, I've been able to spend a lot of time with and iPad 2, Prime, and Fire. The iPad is easily the best device, although it has issues that drive me crazy (for a company as obsessed with experience, I can't understand how they've made it so hard to switch between applications). The Fire is the worst. But it does what it does well enough. It's just not a true "tablet", in the sense of Google and Apple. The Prime is also very nice, at least with ICS. Still would never recommend it to a basic user over the iPad though.

What's so hard about switching between apps on iPad? You know there's several ways to do so... The easiest is a simple 4-finger swipe left or right to switch to recent apps. Or you can double tap the Home button, and have a list of 6-7 most recent apps. I don't see how it could be any easier...

And what is it you don't like about the Prime? I think it's pretty awesome and close to being on par with the iPad.

Mojo Rising 02-02-2012 07:32 PM

I just saw the Vizio Tabs back at Costco for $189 new. I have had mine for a month and am very happy with it. They are $259 new on Ebay.

The only 2 issues with it are that it has a slot for up to 32 gigs of external memory but none of the itune syncers will recognize the external card and will only write to internal (limited to 4 g.) The workaround for me was to download it to the chip via my Samsung phone and then put the chip in the tablet. The power connector also seems a little unstable. I haven't had any problems yet and it does have the Costco warranty (which isn't what it used to be but they are good at returning stuff.)

Taco John 02-02-2012 07:53 PM

I hate HP so much right now...

jiveturkey 02-02-2012 08:48 PM

The Fire is pretty terrible out of the box. With CM7 it's tits.

Imon Yourside 02-02-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 8344479)

I've done that for quite a while, not quite as bad as Packard Bell but not far away either.

007 02-03-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 8340354)

It didn't come with a cable that you connect to your computer? Seriously?

007 02-03-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 8344479)

Why?

kcxiv 02-03-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8346569)
It didn't come with a cable that you connect to your computer? Seriously?

nope, just in the box in the kindle and the ac power plug and thats it. I had to order one for 3 bucks lol Fire is as basic as it gets, but its pretty ****ing cool. Watching Gilligans Island on Amazon prime haha

007 02-03-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 8346645)
nope, just in the box in the kindle and the ac power plug and thats it. I had to order one for 3 bucks lol Fire is as basic as it gets, but its pretty ****ing cool. Watching Gilligans Island on Amazon prime haha

and the cord for the AC plug doesn't come off to reveal a USB plug? Man, they really want this to be a cloud only device.

kcxiv 02-03-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8346661)
and the cord for the AC plug doesn't come off to reveal a USB plug? Man, they really want this to be a cloud only device.

Not mine. Daface said his wife did but not mine. Was a bit dissapointted w that though.

The cloud id nice. I put some music on mine. Its cool as lo
G as u have wifi access.

jjchieffan 02-05-2012 11:54 PM

I got the Xoom on Black Friday for $200. Well worth the money at that price. I can't get high speed here at my house, so the 4G hotspot is great for my laptop. My daughter has a ton of games on it and gets a lot of use out of it, and it works for everything I need it for. It is still running on Honeycomb, but I hear that ICS is just about ready to roll out for it.

DaFace 02-15-2012 11:45 AM

My ASUS bubble has officially been burst. After having a great opinion of them for years, I'm to the point that I'm not sure I can recommend them in good conscience ever again.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, I was having a problem with my power adapter not charging consistently. It was a bit of a hassle, but I just lived with it. However, a few weeks ago, when I was plugging it in, a little plastic piece in the center of the power port snapped off. I'm not sure if I wiggled it or what, but I certainly didn't put a ton of force into it.

Anyway, I called ASUS and got an RMA to send it in for repair. I had to pay for my own shipping to send it in, and it got there on February 1st. It took a full week until I heard from them, but they sent me a canned e-mail message that the damage was my fault and included a form for me to fill out and FAX BACK IN to pay for it. (It wasn't a huge amount - $85 - but it's the principle of the thing.)

I, of course, dispute that damage like that should be my responsibility. I heard back the next day that the rep was going to check in with the technician and get back with me. After sending three emails in the past week asking for an update and a phone call to their support line to escalate the issue, I finally heard back from them this morning - more than two weeks since they originally received it. To their credit, they're going to cover it under warranty - not because they agree it's my fault though - because they haven't heard back from the technician and are tired of waiting for such a small amount.

Anyway, here are a few key things I've learned in the past week that I'll pass along to anyone considering buying an ASUS product:
  • ASUS has three levels of people you have to deal with in the RMA process: the people you talk to on the phone, the warranty coordinator who tells you if you have to pay for shit, and the technicians doing the work. You can't talk to the technicians AT ALL under any circumstances. The warranty coordinator only communicates via e-mail, and doesn't have any direct contact with the technicians. And the people on the phone only have access to the system that includes generic statuses, so they can't tell you jack shit. It's INCREDIBLY frustrating.
  • There is a strong sentiment online that the repair facility in Grapevine, TX is shady. There are numerous reports of tablets in new condition "arriving" completely beat up. One guy posted the pic of his that looked like someone had run over it with a truck. They tried to get him to pay for it until he produced pictures of it before he sent it off in perfect shape. They then tried to say UPS damaged it, but they didn't have the box or pictures of it, so UPS wouldn't cover it under insurance. So eventually, ASUS gave him a new one, but it took a month of intermittent e-mails (no phone calls) to work it all out.
  • Until recently, the Better Business Bureau had ASUS listed with an "F" rating. It currently says "no rating" as they investigate a few complaints, but the trend is there. Directly from the BBB's web site:
Quote:

We have identified a pattern of complaints concerning customer service and service issues. Complaints processed by the BBB claim that 1) products sent to the company for repairs are still not working properly when returned to the consumer. 2) Customers calling the company are asked to call back or told they will receive a call back and in many cases don't.
Anyway, in the end, I'm getting my tablet repaired under warranty, but the process it's taken to get it done has been one of the most frustrating customer service experiences I've ever had. I'm still a believer in the overall quality of their products, but if you ever get something that isn't working properly, be prepared for a battle. And if I were you, I'd try and buy it from someplace with a really generous return policy.

At this point, I'm just hoping I get it back working like they said they would. It's sad, but I'm not even confident in that at this point.

TL;DR ASUS products are decent, but their warranty process is a nightmare.

patteeu 02-15-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8375001)

Good to know. I'm getting ready to build a new PC and I had an ASUS motherboard targeted. I may still go with it, but I'll at least reconsider my options based on your report.

Fish 02-15-2012 11:55 AM

I'll have to agree with you on the Asus return procedure. Just before Christmas, I had to return an Asus mobo that quit working within a couple months. It was a nightmare. I had to contact Asus in Taiwan through their online RMA procedure. Didn't hear anything from them for 2 weeks. Sent another RMA request at that point. A week later, I received an e-mail with instructions on how to RMA. 2 weeks later, I finally received an e-mail that was from the initial RMA request I submitted. ??

Once I finally got an RMA number, I sent it off. It was returned a little over 2 weeks later.

Buck 02-15-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8375001)
My ASUS bubble has officially been burst. After having a great opinion of them for years, I'm to the point that I'm not sure I can recommend them in good conscience ever again.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, I was having a problem with my power adapter not charging consistently. It was a bit of a hassle, but I just lived with it. However, a few weeks ago, when I was plugging it in, a little plastic piece in the center of the power port snapped off. I'm not sure if I wiggled it or what, but I certainly didn't put a ton of force into it.

Anyway, I called ASUS and got an RMA to send it in for repair. I had to pay for my own shipping to send it in, and it got there on February 1st. It took a full week until I heard from them, but they sent me a canned e-mail message that the damage was my fault and included a form for me to fill out and FAX BACK IN to pay for it. (It wasn't a huge amount - $85 - but it's the principle of the thing.)

I, of course, dispute that damage like that should be my responsibility. I heard back the next day that the rep was going to check in with the technician and get back with me. After sending three emails in the past week asking for an update and a phone call to their support line to escalate the issue, I finally heard back from them this morning - more than two weeks since they originally received it. To their credit, they're going to cover it under warranty - not because they agree it's my fault though - because they haven't heard back from the technician and are tired of waiting for such a small amount.

Anyway, here are a few key things I've learned in the past week that I'll pass along to anyone considering buying an ASUS product:
  • ASUS has three levels of people you have to deal with in the RMA process: the people you talk to on the phone, the warranty coordinator who tells you if you have to pay for shit, and the technicians doing the work. You can't talk to the technicians AT ALL under any circumstances. The warranty coordinator only communicates via e-mail, and doesn't have any direct contact with the technicians. And the people on the phone only have access to the system that includes generic statuses, so they can't tell you jack shit. It's INCREDIBLY frustrating.
  • There is a strong sentiment online that the repair facility in Grapevine, TX is shady. There are numerous reports of tablets in new condition "arriving" completely beat up. One guy posted the pic of his that looked like someone had run over it with a truck. They tried to get him to pay for it until he produced pictures of it before he sent it off in perfect shape. They then tried to say UPS damaged it, but they didn't have the box or pictures of it, so UPS wouldn't cover it under insurance. So eventually, ASUS gave him a new one, but it took a month of intermittent e-mails (no phone calls) to work it all out.
  • Until recently, the Better Business Bureau had ASUS listed with an "F" rating. It currently says "no rating" as they investigate a few complaints, but the trend is there. Directly from the BBB's web site:

Anyway, in the end, I'm getting my tablet repaired under warranty, but the process it's taken to get it done has been one of the most frustrating customer service experiences I've ever had. I'm still a believer in the overall quality of their products, but if you ever get something that isn't working properly, be prepared for a battle. And if I were you, I'd try and buy it from someplace with a really generous return policy.

At this point, I'm just hoping I get it back working like they said they would. It's sad, but I'm not even confident in that at this point.

Sell it, buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

DaFace 02-15-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8375027)
Good to know. I'm getting ready to build a new PC and I had an ASUS motherboard targeted. I may still go with it, but I'll at least reconsider my options based on your report.

Until this, I've never had a problem with the products themselves, and I probably built 10-15 computers with their motherboards back when I was doing the computer tech gig. My brother's got a laptop of theirs, and a friend of mine has the original Transformer and has had no problems.

I think they rushed the Prime out a little too quickly and didn't have time to do proper quality control. Hopefully they'll learn from that, but who knows. For me, I'd at least have to consider some sort of alternative warranty in the future. It'd be one thing if this was something I don't use very often, but being without the tablet I paid $500 for for a month (probably) just isn't acceptable. If this were a laptop, I'd be even more pissed.

DaFace 02-15-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8375074)
Sell it, buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Not gonna lie - it's tempting.

Buck 02-15-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8375084)
Not gonna lie - it's tempting.

I have nothing bad to say about my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab, except about three times a day, it randomly thinks I've switched the tab to portrait view for some reason, but it corrects itself within 5 seconds.

DaFace 02-15-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8375092)
I have nothing bad to say about my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab, except about three times a day, it randomly thinks I've switched the tab to portrait view for some reason, but it corrects itself within 5 seconds.

Have they pushed out ICS for it yet? That's the one thing that would hold me back (assuming I could get my money back out of the Prime).

Of course, I also like the dock option for the Prime. I haven't gotten it yet, but I could see it coming in handy.

Buck 02-15-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8375101)
Have they pushed out ICS for it yet? That's the one thing that would hold me back (assuming I could get my money back out of the Prime).

Of course, I also like the dock option for the Prime. I haven't gotten it yet, but I could see it coming in handy.

Nope, its still 3.1 or whatever that is called. They haven't confirmed ICS for it either.

I turn off the wifi every time I'm done using it, which is very easy to do, it takes 2 presses to do that. My battery lasts for over 2 weeks.

DaFace 02-28-2012 09:28 AM

Final update on my ordeal for anyone who cares:

I got my tablet back yesterday. In total, it took over 4 weeks from the time I sent it in until the time I got it back. They repaired the jack under warranty as promised, but they didn't do anything with the bright pixel (which isn't a big deal) or the charger (which is). I called their tech support line again, and they told me I'd have to send the charger back again before they could send me a new one. I politely told him to go **** himself (not in those words) and that I'd just buy a new one.

What an incredibly horrible system...

MoreLemonPledge 02-28-2012 09:54 AM

I've been running ICS on my Touchpad for a week or so. Quick and smooth as hell, and much better than that WebOS crap. $150 for a 32gb, 10.1" tablet that runs as smooth as a Galaxy? **** yeah...

NewChief 02-28-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8404724)
Final update on my ordeal for anyone who cares:

I got my tablet back yesterday. In total, it took over 4 weeks from the time I sent it in until the time I got it back. They repaired the jack under warranty as promised, but they didn't do anything with the bright pixel (which isn't a big deal) or the charger (which is). I called their tech support line again, and they told me I'd have to send the charger back again before they could send me a new one. I politely told him to go **** himself (not in those words) and that I'd just buy a new one.

What an incredibly horrible system...

Apple would never treat you that way. ;)

DaFace 02-28-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8404927)
Apple would never treat you that way. ;)

Yep, I'm sure you're right. Of course, I've had positive support experiences with HP, Dell, and Samsung as well, though I don't doubt that Apple's top notch in the support department.

Suffice it to say, this experience has irreparably damaged my opinion of ASUS.