ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs -- Hey CP - Where exactly are you with regards to Justin Houston? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321310)

BleedingRed 02-14-2019 08:45 AM

I love him, but he needs to go

Great Expectations 02-14-2019 08:53 AM

Keep Houston, left Ford walk, sign Collins. To the ship

ChiefoftheKeyboard 02-14-2019 08:59 AM

Landon Collins may get the franchise tag and the giants need a pass rusher. They can also release Olivier Vernon post June 1 from his bloated contract. I'd take Collins and a 3 for Ford all day and I think that's realistic. Then you'd need houston to stay of course.

BigRedChief 02-14-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 14105693)
Let me be fair - I'm okay w/ this, too. Houston is better suited for this new switch and it makes far more sense. I just like that free'd money more-so - but that's a solid post my brother. I'm good w/ it.

Better suited or not, we can take Houston's $15 million and get a more impactful defensive player for that kind of money. Again, its just business.

TomBarndtsTwin 02-14-2019 09:07 AM

Ride it out with him this year to see how he cuts it in the new 4-3 defense.

If he performs, restructure his contract next year to save money on the cap going forward.

If he continues to drop off, release him after next year with no cap liability and you just freed up $22 million dollars of cap space to use on Hill and Jones new contracts.

oldman 02-14-2019 09:08 AM

If it comes down to Houston vs. Ford, it's a no-brainer keeping Houston. Ford is a one-trick pony. I we're going to a 4-3, playing Houston at DE makes a lot more sense than Ford. Speaks will do just fine at the other DE.

TomBarndtsTwin 02-14-2019 09:08 AM

But if they decide he doesn't 'fit' this defense and/or the new D coaches think they'll be better off w/o him and possibly using his money elsewhere, then just cut him now and be done with it.

Eleazar 02-14-2019 10:06 AM

Letting him go is probably the right move, but I could still be on board with keeping him another year to see how the new scheme might help him contribute something to the defense that is more commensurate to his salary.

htismaqe 02-14-2019 10:09 AM

I too would rather keep Houston than Ford. All I know is they can't keep both of them.

philfree 02-14-2019 10:16 AM

9 sacks, 5 FF and 1 INT in 11 games won't be easy to replace. I'm good with keeping Houston but I'd extend him and lower his cap number. That said If Spags doesn't think he fits I'd try and trade him to Romeo Crennel or maybe the Falcons or some place he desires where he'll be okay with re-working his contract so the trade would go through. I wouldn't just cut him because he's still a good player.

Doob02 02-14-2019 10:20 AM

Have to keep him at least another year. I think it best to see how he translates to the new scheme and coaching. Could be a game changer. Regardless I would still try to lower his cap number and ask him to join the mind scheme of the future is now and we have Mahomie!!

alpha_omega 02-14-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14105684)
Restructure or be gone. Just business. Getting paid like your a top defensive player in the whole NFL. But your at best average these days.

Post #2 seals the deal.

O.city 02-14-2019 10:27 AM

I think he'll age pretty well in that he won't just fall off the cliff. Similar to how Suggs has with the Ravens.

I'd be fine extending him and getting the number down. Problem is with injuries.

htismaqe 02-14-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14106090)
I think he'll age pretty well in that he won't just fall off the cliff. Similar to how Suggs has with the Ravens.

I'd be fine extending him and getting the number down. Problem is with injuries.

Injuries are the reason I wouldn't keep Ford.

O.city 02-14-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14106092)
Injuries are the reason I wouldn't keep Ford.

I've come to expect them to tag him so I've just kinda moved on, atleast with Ford its' just for a season in which he'll likely play his ass off again for a new deal elsewhere.