ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto How would you feel if your significant other gave you a vehicle for Christmas?* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=319932)

Reerun_KC 12-28-2018 08:05 PM

Neither of us would be overly happy about it. Especially taking on debt that has zero appreciation value.

Rain Man 12-28-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 13991804)
My wife says that maybe those spouses know them better than your wife does you.
This is payback for the other thing. :D

Maybe the car's not the gift. Maybe the wife has stationed her best friend in the back seat as the big surprise.

Rain Man 12-28-2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 13991808)
Another problem is those giant, red, car-sized bows. Those damn things cost about $50 bucks a pop. Unless you drive super slow, by the time you get home, the bow part is half-flapped to hell and gone. Also, when you stop at a red light, people stare at you like you stole somebody's gifted car out of their driveway. And sometimes you can see them thinking, "That poor bastard can't afford his own car so somebody had to give him one and he forgot to remove the ribbon." It's humiliating.

FAX

I wonder if they drive them like that. Maybe they come in a big box via UPS, and the back yard is full of discarded cardboard and packing tape.

TrebMaxx 12-28-2018 08:09 PM

I was really hoping to receive a gift card for the Indian dealer so I could get me a Chieftain Classic but no joy.

Rain Man 12-28-2018 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx (Post 13991818)
I was really hoping to receive a gift card for the Indian dealer so I could get me a Chieftain Classic but no joy.

Did she give you a car instead?

LoneWolf 12-28-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 11205763)
I just bought the wife a new Lexus RX 350. It's sitting in my BIL garage with a big red bow on it waiting for Xmas morning. I test drove about a dozen SUVs before settling on this one. Besides the Lexus, the Acura MDX was a really nice SUV.

Well, this post is four years old and seems to have aged well.

FAX 12-28-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13991785)
I was born into the wrong family.

Guess again.

I'm a self-made idiot.

FAX

displacedinMN 12-28-2018 08:25 PM

I do now that if I bought the truck for me and the SUV for her-there is no way in hell she is getting the truck. Marriage over.

TrebMaxx 12-28-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13991821)
Did she give you a car instead?

Not even a car! She probably knows I would trade it in for a new motorcycle. I did get a Salute to Service Chiefs jacket though which I think is pretty cool.

Rain Man 12-28-2018 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13991824)
Well, this post is four years old and seems to have aged well.

Okay, we have a case study here.

Did you know that she wanted the Lexus? Did she expect that you might buy her a vehicle? Had she been talking to you about buying a car? How did you know the right color to buy? I have so many questions about this.

Frazod 12-28-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 13991808)
Another problem is those giant, red, car-sized bows. Those damn things cost about $50 bucks a pop. Unless you drive super slow, by the time you get home, the bow part is half-flapped to hell and gone. Also, when you stop at a red light, people stare at you like you stole somebody's gifted car out of their driveway. And sometimes you can see them thinking, "That poor bastard can't afford his own car so somebody had to give him one and he forgot to remove the ribbon." It's humiliating.

FAX

I like the one where the new vehicle is shown sitting in about six inches of snow, although there is no snow on the vehicle, no tire tracks behind the vehicle, and no footprints leading away from the vehicle.

Apparently the folks at Mercedes have mastered Star Trek transporter technology. I wonder why they're still selling cars? :hmmm:

LoneWolf 12-28-2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13991839)
Okay, we have a case study here.

Did you know that she wanted the Lexus? Did she expect that you might buy her a vehicle? Had she been talking to you about buying a car? How did you know the right color to buy? I have so many questions about this.

I knew she wanted a new vehicle and she had commented about several different makes/models she liked with the Lexus being one of them.

She had no clue I would buy her one, but we had discussed buying her a new vehicle after the first of the year.

She told me what colors she liked.

In retrospect, it was a mistake. She liked the Lexus, but she wasn’t attached to it since she didn’t pick it out. Two years later we ended up trading the Lexus in for a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (I couldn’t believe it either).

Rain Man 12-28-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13991860)
I knew she wanted a new vehicle and she had commented about several different makes/models she liked with the Lexus being one of them.

She had no clue I would buy her one, but we had discussed buying her a new vehicle after the first of the year.

In retrospect, it was a mistake. She liked the Lexus, but she wasn’t attached to it since she didn’t pick it out. Two years later we ended up trading the Lexus in for a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (I couldn’t believe it either).

Aha! So this supports my theory that one has to meld with the car during the selection process, or the person-car bonding process never occurs.

It was a nice thought on your part, though. If she liked a Hyundai, it seems like a Lexus would be a safe choice.

lewdog 12-28-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13991860)

Jesus, what a step down!!!

ChiliConCarnage 12-28-2018 10:19 PM

These have been on for years. The luxury brands seem to run them quite a bit and it's always struck me as preposterous.

I feel like trying to pick out clothes for people is nearly a lost cause. Let alone picking one shirt that needs to be worn everyday for years, isn't really returnable or swappable, and possibly costs a good chunk of a person's annual after tax salary.