ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc -- Malls dying? Soon to be gone? - a question... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316727)

Simply Red 08-10-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13669130)
I ****ing love malls. I think they are going away because they became a sanctuary for rambunctious kids. Because everything about a mall makes too much sense.
They are great because
1) You don't have to trudge thru the snow to get to ANY of your stores.
2) You can peruse many stores at once.
3) Great for impulse buying or destination shopping
4) You don't have to go outside to go to another store
5) You can eat, see Santa Claus, shop, and take a shit all at the same time
6) You can get a nice walk
7) People watch and check out chicks

I really don't understand why you would rather go to a strip mall, than a real mall. I get it if you are in Southern California where the weather is always nice, but in the winter or summer when the weather sucks here, the mall is where its at.

posts like this will get you out off the ignore feature!

Simply Red 08-10-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippedmyFlesh (Post 13669127)
Legal seafood as opposed to illegal?

https://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blo...9824451193.jpg

it's pretty well known

Bugeater 08-10-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippedmyFlesh (Post 13669127)
Legal seafood as opposed to illegal?

https://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blo...9824451193.jpg

The politically correct term is "undocumented" seafood.

vailpass 08-10-2018 01:27 PM

Quote:

I ****ing love malls. I think they are going away because they became a sanctuary for rambunctious kids. Because everything about a mall makes too much sense.
They are great because

I really don't understand why you would rather go to a strip mall, than a real mall. I get it if you are in Southern California where the weather is always nice, but in the winter or summer when the weather sucks here, the mall is where its at.

Amazon

ptlyon 08-10-2018 01:27 PM

OK, not to derail the thread. But went to Boston on a business trip and went into a small bar and asked for a good seafood restaurant that wasn't a chain. Everybody we talked to said Legal Seafood, and it was awesome.

Back to your talking of teenagers and old people.

Bugeater 08-10-2018 01:29 PM

Why do old people smell funny?

KranzDictum 08-10-2018 01:30 PM

I didn't go to the mall unless I needed something specific. Easier to stay on budget if you don't shop often.

That said I miss having a Marshall Fields(Macy) close by. I loved going through the sale racks when I did need to replace a few shirts. Harder to get a great deal online. Amazon doesn't always have the best price and I have found you need to watch something for months in hopes of finding it at a discounted rate.

I rarely ever bought anything from the mall at full price. Carsons, Macy, all had sales and coupons, even Lord and Taylor has sales and if you get to know the old ladies behind the counters they will call you when they have them. I haven't found that online.

Plus I like to see what I am buying especially if I am going to wear it.

If anyone has tricks to getting great sales online I would like to hear them.

Rain Man 08-10-2018 01:31 PM

There's a big mall within walking distance of my house, and I'm a regular mall rat. I go there every week and hang out in their big sitting area. Per my established set of moral and ethical values, I always buy something when I go, which is usually a lunch from one of the food vendors. But I sometimes buy bigger ticket items. The mall is generally pretty busy even though they started charging for parking, which I think is a really weird move.

KranzDictum 08-10-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 13669161)
Why do old people smell funny?

I think it is their gums and breath. Ever have a crown done and have a temp crown taken off? It smells the same as an old lady.

Maybe they don't floss as much because they know they don't need their teeth that long?

Baby Lee 08-10-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

They are great because

I don't think it's the rambunctious kids that are killing malls. In addition to the marginal effect of people being about to browse and impulse buy through the internet, the second biggest factor is likely the rental rates are just too high for even slight reductions in traffic and income.

You could see this 10-15 years ago when CDs and DVDs you could by for $9.99 at Wal-Mart or Best Buy were $16-18 at Sam Goody and the Whopper that was $2 at the next closest Burger King was $4.50-5.00 at the food court. Now that all Whoppers are $4.50-5.00. I have to imagine food court Whoppers are on par with a burger at Kaufmann or a concert venue. What? $10-11?

Rain Man 08-10-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KranzDictum (Post 13669162)
I didn't go to the mall unless I needed something specific. Easier to stay on budget if you don't shop often.

That said I miss having a Marshall Fields(Macy) close by. I loved going through the sale racks when I did need to replace a few shirts. Harder to get a great deal online. Amazon doesn't always have the best price and I have found you need to watch something for months in hopes of finding it at a discounted rate.

I rarely ever bought anything from the mall at full price. Carsons, Macy, all had sales and coupons, even Lord and Taylor has sales and if you get to know the old ladies behind the counters they will call you when they have them. I haven't found that online.

Plus I like to see what I am buying especially if I am going to wear it.

If anyone has tricks to getting great sales online I would like to hear them.

Hmm, it seems like you probably don't need to worry about malls going out of business as much as all of the stores you shop going out of business.

ptlyon 08-10-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13669168)
There's a big mall within walking distance of my house, and I'm a regular mall rat. I go there every week and hang out in their big sitting area. Per my established set of moral and ethical values, I always buy something when I go, which is usually a lunch from one of the food vendors. But I sometimes buy bigger ticket items. The mall is generally pretty busy even though they started charging for parking, which I think is a really weird move.

You've noted your stalking in malls several times on here

Rain Man 08-10-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13669178)
You've noted your stalking in malls several times on here

There's really no better place to stalk. 3 to 1 female to male ratio, with a concentration on the ones who like fashion and have money. It's way better than the library.

ptlyon 08-10-2018 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13669186)
There's really no better place to stalk. 3 to 1 female to male ratio, with a concentration on the ones who like fashion and have money. It's way better than the library.

People who like fashion and have money go to malls?

Who knew...

Fish 08-10-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

They are great because

Don't shit on Santa's lap. That's awful...