ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs announce that Derrick Johnson will be allowed to test free agency in March (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313913)

Stinger 02-13-2018 03:02 PM

Chiefs have to make this move unfortunately.

However.... I am probably in the minority here. And as much as I love DJ as Chief.... I say keep playing as long as you can/want to (knowing and understanding the risks that go along with that) if someone is willing to bring you on. If you truly love playing once it is over and you leave there is no going back. Be happy and play the game you love as long as you can or allowed to it. I would not want to regret leaving something I loved knowing I still could be allowed to do it.

ChiefGator 02-13-2018 03:04 PM

So, with Alex and DJ gone.. how does our cap space look as of mid-March now?

O.city 02-13-2018 03:04 PM

Lotta talk about him being a big loss on Twitter

Am I the only one that thought he wasnt very good last year?

BlackOp 02-13-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 13415458)
I think I'll remember DJ most for the 50,000 interceptions he dropped.

I have to say...I thought the same thing when reading his career 14 INTs stat. :) He probably should have 30+....

Great player...good luck.

The Franchise 02-13-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 13415479)
So, with Alex and DJ gone.. how does our cap space look as of mid-March now?

Since the Smith trade can't go through right now.....our current cap space is at $12,594 after the DJ cut.

KranzDictum 02-13-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyton75 (Post 13415436)
I'm still hopeful we can get him back at a lower cap number. He still has value.

They want to go younger at ILB he won't be back. Hali is done too, would have cut him last year but he had guaranteed money or something due where they essentially had to keep him.

You guys need at least one ILB in the draft, probably will bring in a vet depth guy too.

ThaVirus 02-13-2018 03:13 PM

Why do people always mention athletes hanging it up “while they can still walk”?

If Lawrence Taylor can play into his 30s in his era with the amount of coke he did and still be functional in his 50s, why can’t DJ?

Stinger 02-13-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 13415458)
I think I'll remember DJ most for the 50,000 interceptions he dropped.

Not me I think this memory will though

<iframe src="https://gfycat.com/ifr/SlimNewIndianrhinoceros" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="" width="640" height="368" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Mother****erJones 02-13-2018 03:15 PM

Inevitable but still painful. Loved watching him fly around and smack people. The most underrated ILB of my generation and maybe lifetime.

JohnnyHammersticks 02-13-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 13415481)
I have to say...I thought the same thing when reading his career 14 INTs stat. :) He probably should have 30+....

Great player...good luck.

At least 30+! And how many of those were ones that hit him right in the hands when he was wide open and could've walked the ball in for a pick 6?

But yes, great player (after his first couple years).

KCrockaholic 02-13-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 13415502)
Inevitable but still painful. Loved watching him fly around and smack people. The most underrated ILB of my generation and maybe lifetime.

London Fletcher was pretty underrated as well.

RunKC 02-13-2018 03:22 PM

His cap number was $10.25 million and now its $2.25 million. How much are we going to save moving on?

The Franchise 02-13-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

“When I restructured my deal, I voided my last year out,” Johnson said. “In order for me to come back with the Chiefs, we’d have to work on a deal or do something for a one-year type of deal.

“But the Chiefs, they wanted to go younger across the board — that’s what (general manager Brett) Veach was talking about. I wasn’t in their plans, and I understood that. They’ve got some cap issues, and even though I would have bended some to be a Chief, there really was no negotiation. I just wasn’t in the plans. And that happens; it is what it is.”
Shouldn't be the last old player cut.

arrwheader 02-13-2018 03:25 PM

Figured they would announce Hali before this. Hali is a much easier decision. Glad we are making changes sounds like the Mellinger article was right. Loved DJ, thanks for the memories and good luck!

Easy 6 02-13-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 13415498)
Why do people always mention athletes hanging it up “while they can still walk”?

If Lawrence Taylor can play into his 30s in his era with the amount of coke he did and still be functional in his 50s, why can’t DJ?

How many major surgeries did LT have? I honestly dont know, but I'm willing to bet less than DJ

We've all seen these older, retired players hobbling around, complaining about their knees and the chronic pain they endure etc... I say it because I wish guys like DJ and Tamba well

They're shells of their former selves, have nothing left to prove, and have enough money to spend the rest of their lives spending... why tarnish ones legacy by hanging on too long, and going out there looking like shit?