ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Cleveland Indians are getting rid of Chief Wahoo (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313545)

NinerDoug 01-29-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13387071)
I guess if you're a total dumb****, yeah you could draw that conclusion.

I tend to think they are proud of their Viking ancestry.

Of course, in this day and age, they make just make accusations of "cultural appropriation."

GloryDayz 01-29-2018 01:52 PM

And was Sue the Sioux threatening to sue again?

alpha_omega 01-29-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

fans will still be able to buy merchandise with the Chief Wahoo logo in the team store and in the Cleveland area
Then they aren't really getting rid of it.

GloryDayz 01-29-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 13387104)
I tend to think they are proud of their Viking ancestry.

Are you suggesting Indians aren't?

vailpass 01-29-2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 13387093)
Not seeing the problem with his nose.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...0/_BhV66oi.jpg

I'd like to think you're assessing this native american schnoz in a fair manner but I have my reservations.

CoMoChief 01-29-2018 02:03 PM

Dumb.

The victim mentality bs needs to stop.

Words are words...or in this case, a mascot or logo.

You're an adult, move on.

Rain Man 01-29-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 13387106)

They're getting rid of the parts that don't directly produce revenue.

I hope they don't replace him with an ermine. The ermine belongs to Kansas City's football team.

Randallflagg 01-29-2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 13386965)
The Celts are actually a real people. With living descendants and everything. Why aren't you worried about this insensitive caricature?

Well, My ancestors came to America in 1732 from Scotland. The caricature of a man in a kilt and a tartan color - wearing a tam o' shanter and smoking a pipe hasn't been "truthful" since the Jacobite uprising in the early 1700s and the subsequent "cleansing" of the clans in the Highlands. Thousands of "clan" members were murdered by the English and purged from the country.

So, does it offend me? a Scottish descendant of Scots? Nope. Makes me proud of my heritage.

Still, though, I don't get the "guilt" associated with these goofy "mascots" of ANY team. Why the hell would ANYONE be upset about the arrowhead on a helmet? Or calling the chiefs the "Chiefs"? I've never killed an indian in my life.

DJJasonp 01-29-2018 02:58 PM

Is Rachel Phelps behind this????!!!!

alnorth 01-29-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 13387106)

According to the Indians and MLB, they have to maintain a small retail presence to keep control over the logo. They probably could still fight people who try to sell knockoff Chief Wahoo's, but its apparently a lot easier to get injunctions and such from a judge if they can simply point to a couple stores in Cleveland where they are still making money off the IP.

You still have to go to the actual physical store though, MLB won't sell Chief Wahoo merch online. The University of North Dakota still sells a limited amount of "Fighting Sioux" marchandise locally for similar reasons, to keep control over the IP.

GloryDayz 01-29-2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 13387131)
Dumb.

The victim mentality bs needs to stop.

Words are words...or in this case, a mascot or logo.

You're an adult, move on.

Ummmm, Indians kind of live off of lawsuits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

ForeverChiefs58 01-29-2018 04:04 PM

Political correctness knows no bounds, and wants to attack ALL Indian references:

"American sports businesses such as the NFL's Washington 'Redskins' and Kansas City 'Chiefs', MLB's Cleveland 'Indians' and Atlanta 'Braves', and the NHL's Chicago Black Hawks, continue to profit from harmful stereotypes originated during a time when white superiority and segregation were commonplace."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nati...ot_controversy

Idiot polically correctness don’t even know the history of KC Chiefs:

Even though the Kansas City Chiefs we’re named after H. Roe Bartle, a man who made a name for himself as a businessman and philanthropist before devoting his life to public service. He served as Kansas City’s mayor for two terms (1956–1963) and made a lasting impact on the city in more ways than one (his name is on the Convention Center)

Bartle’s legacy is intertwined with the resident football team, as he helped lure the then-Dallas Texans to move to Kansas City. Ownership subsequently changed the team’s name to the Kansas City Chiefs, adopting Bartle’s nickname, “The Chief.”

How long before they go after military names such as Apache helicopters, Black Hawk helicopter, Lakota helicopter, Chinook helicopter, Kiowa helicopter, Cayuse helicopter, Creek trainer helicopter, Huron transport aircraft, Ute electronic intelligence aircraft, Tomahawk missiles etc?

Ridiculous

ClevelandBronco 01-29-2018 04:18 PM

Unfortunate, but completely understandable. Snowflakes must be considered.

displacedinMN 01-29-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 13387273)
According to the Indians and MLB, they have to maintain a small retail presence to keep control over the logo. They probably could still fight people who try to sell knockoff Chief Wahoo's, but its apparently a lot easier to get injunctions and such from a judge if they can simply point to a couple stores in Cleveland where they are still making money off the IP.

You still have to go to the actual physical store though, MLB won't sell Chief Wahoo merch online. The University of North Dakota still sells a limited amount of "Fighting Sioux" merchandise locally for similar reasons, to keep control over the IP.

All true-in order to own the copyrights to the logo-the owner of the copyright MUST continue to produce that logo to maintain ownership. Otherwise someone else can start to use it.

This is something that I feel the sports associations did not think of. It can never completely go away from the team and from production.

Quote:

Even though the Kansas City Chiefs we’re named after H. Roe Bartle, a man who made a name for himself as a businessman and philanthropist before devoting his life to public service. He served as Kansas City’s mayor for two terms (1956–1963) and made a lasting impact on the city in more ways than one (his name is on the Convention Center)

Bartle’s legacy is intertwined with the resident football team, as he helped lure the then-Dallas Texans to move to Kansas City. Ownership subsequently changed the team’s name to the Kansas City Chiefs, adopting Bartle’s nickname, “The Chief.”
This. Totally. Once and for all.

ClevelandBronco 01-29-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 13387352)
Political correctness knows no bounds, and wants to attack ALL Indian references:

"American sports businesses such as the NFL's Washington 'Redskins' and Kansas City 'Chiefs', MLB's Cleveland 'Indians' and Atlanta 'Braves', and the NHL's Chicago Black Hawks, continue to profit from harmful stereotypes originated during a time when white superiority and segregation were commonplace."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nati...ot_controversy

How long before they go after military names such as Apache helicopters, Black Hawk helicopter, Lakota helicopter, Chinook helicopter, Kiowa helicopter, Cayuse helicopter, Creek trainer helicopter, Huron transport aircraft, Ute electronic intelligence aircraft, Tomahawk missiles etc?

Ridiculous

It won't matter. It's about feeeeeeeeeelings.