ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football The NFL Is Seriously Concerned With Empty Stadiums (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310115)

Dayze 09-15-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 13082457)
When you turn on your tv and they're talking about football they're always talking about concussions, sitting during the national anthem, or a team holding a city hostage for money.

Nobody wants to spend a ton of time or money on that shit.

Mark Cuban was right.

Yep.

3rd&Long 09-15-2017 01:56 PM

History is a good teacher in spite of many passing decades. The facts are that the AFL LA Chargers lasted one year, 1960, before bolting to SD. Then we know both the Raiders and Rams vacated LA in the 90s because of poor fan support. LA is a college football town, just as St Louis is a MLB town and other examples abound.

MMXcalibur 09-15-2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 13082448)
The other problem is these stadiums are becoming mini-amusement parks... why the hell is it necessary to have great Wifi for a 3 hour game? Go to the Cowboys' stadium and on the levels with restaurants and bars, you'll see people that spent great money for their suite... sitting in the atrium club or the Jack Daniels bar watching the game on a TV screen. Dumbasses with too much money.

That reminds me of the oddest photo I've seen of these new affronts to God. There was an artist's rendition of the Redskins new stadium that had a guy surfing in front of the stadium.

EDIT: Found it.

https://www.washingtonian.com/wp-con...pg.optimal.jpg

Dayze 09-15-2017 01:57 PM

LMAO

Just Passin' By 09-15-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 13082441)
Think about all the 'great games' on NFL films from the 60s, 70s, 80s. Visualize them in your head... take a few minutes.

Ok, did you see old, outdoor stadiums in the elements with Joe Sixpack and all his buddies face painting and having a blast in the stands? Hell yeah you did, and you've nailed so much of what I think the problem is today.

That new ATL stadium and all the others... it's so damn expensive to go to a game. Single game cheap seats are crazy.

It would cost me $100 per ticket to take my family of 5 to the Cowboys/Rams game in a few weeks... really? And, that's up at the highest and furthest away from the action. Don't forget parking and crazy priced food. Call it $550 with no food or drinks. $700 with all that and I'm not sure if I would pay that price to see Dallas/Denver. Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard, but damn that's insane.

It's like that everywhere. No thanks.

Yep, and there's also

Horrible officiating impacting games and pissing off the fans and bettors
Corrupt front office leading to bad off-the-field policies and blatantly unfair penalties
Bad optics with the dissing of the anthem
etc...

There are so many (mostly) self-inflicted wounds here, that it's easy to overlook some. And that doesn't even get into whatever number of people have pulled away because of concussion studies and the like.

BucEyedPea 09-15-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 13082462)
That reminds me of the oddest photo I've seen of these new affronts to God. There was an artist's rendition of the Redskins new stadium that had a guy surfing in front of the stadium.

EDIT: Found it.

https://www.washingtonian.com/wp-con...pg.optimal.jpg

Looks like they have wall climbers repelling on it too.

Halfcan 09-15-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Think about all the 'great games' on NFL films from the 60s, 70s, 80s. Visualize them in your head... take a few minutes.

Ok, did you see old, outdoor stadiums in the elements with Joe Sixpack and all his buddies face painting and having a blast in the stands? Hell yeah you did, and you've nailed so much of what I think the problem is today.

That new ATL stadium and all the others... it's so damn expensive to go to a game. Single game cheap seats are crazy.

It would cost me $100 per ticket to take my family of 5 to the Cowboys/Rams game in a few weeks... really? And, that's up at the highest and furthest away from the action. Don't forget parking and crazy priced food. Call it $550 with no food or drinks. $700 with all that and I'm not sure if I would pay that price to see Dallas/Denver. Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard, but damn that's insane.

The first year we had season tickets it was $480 for the pair-$20.00 parking.

Even though we had many horrible seasons- the tickets kept going up. When it got to $1440 for the same seats- Plus a $50.00 "Convenience" fee added onto my season ticket account- Plus $40.00 for parking- I gave it up.

My last game as a season ticket holder was a December game. It was shitty out and could not even give away my extra ticket. So it cost me $159.00 with my share of parking to see the Chiefs get creamed by the Donks. People were giving out free tickets outside. It was such a huge waste of money being a season ticket holder. Never again.

Rain Man 09-15-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I agree with Cochise's big picture summary, but I do think the true catalyst is price. It's expensive enough now that you could go spend a weekend at a lake or something instead if you have a family. Or for a two-person family like mine, it would cover my airfare to some nice place. It's just not really worth it for a three-hour excursion where your team may or may not win, especially when you can also watch it on your big-screen high-definition television.

If they lower the prices, they'll get a lot of their crowds back, despite the other structural issues going on.

Rain Man 09-15-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&Long (Post 13082460)
History is a good teacher in spite of many passing decades. The facts are that the AFL LA Chargers lasted one year, 1960, before bolting to SD. Then we know both the Raiders and Rams vacated LA in the 90s because of poor fan support. LA is a college football town, just as St Louis is a MLB town and other examples abound.

No doubt about it. Los Angeles is a weird animal when it comes to pro football. I understand the league obsessing about it since it's the second-largest national market. It seems like you could fill a stadium from a population of 13 million or whatever it is. But maybe you just can't.

Bewbies 09-15-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Here in ATL they didn't even sell single game tickets. You wanted to go to games you had to buy a seat license and then pay for the whole season.

Never mind that our new soccer team (best attendance in the MLS over 45k a game) plays in there and you can get cheap seats without license.

Sunday games in that new dome are gonna have a lame ass environment because nobody in there is actually the Joe 6 pack die hard fan. Those folks all told the Falcons to piss off.

Hog's Gone Fishin 09-15-2017 02:03 PM

I wonder if they realize that half the stadiums are always gonna be empty on any given Sunday because the team is on a road trip. They need to think things thru.

Halfcan 09-15-2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 13082464)
Yep, and there's also

Horrible officiating impacting games and pissing off the fans and bettors
Corrupt front office leading to bad off-the-field policies and blatantly unfair penalties
Bad optics with the dissing of the anthem
etc...

There are so many (mostly) self-inflicted wounds here, that it's easy to overlook some. And that doesn't even get into whatever number of people have pulled away because of concussion studies and the like.

All of this. I would also add the tailgate experience is not even close to what it was. The Chiefs try to cram you into a little spot now for "safety" reasons and send the Nazi's around in a golf cart to harass you if you are over the line. It also takes twice as long to get Into the stadium with all the security-which cuts down your tailgate time on noon games.

Tailgating was half the fun of the game day experience- now you almost spend more time being directed around the lot than party time.

Demonpenz 09-15-2017 02:05 PM

Last year i fished as much as I could instead of watching football, this year I am going to the river.

Hog's Gone Fishin 09-15-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13082471)
No doubt about it. Los Angeles is a weird animal when it comes to pro football. I understand the league obsessing about it since it's the second-largest national market. It seems like you could fill a stadium from a population of 13 million or whatever it is. But maybe you just can't.

Maybe they need to quit checking for weapons at the gate, I understand the parking lot was full of people turned away.

Halfcan 09-15-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 13082472)
Here in ATL they didn't even sell single game tickets. You wanted to go to games you had to buy a seat license and then pay for the whole season.

Never mind that our new soccer team (best attendance in the MLS over 45k a game) plays in there and you can get cheap seats without license.

Sunday games in that new dome are gonna have a lame ass environment because nobody in there is actually the Joe 6 pack die hard fan. Those folks all told the Falcons to piss off.

Yes they are missing the point- the real fans are there to see the football team-NOT to sit in a billion dollar stadium and post selfies on FB.

One hugely annoying thing the Chiefs did to **** up our stadium is put a constant add running screen all around the middle of the stadium that flashes nonsense pop ups at you the entire time. ****ing sucks. :shake::shake: