ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Goodell suspends Burfict 5 games for hit against Anthony Sherman (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=309638)

chiefzilla1501 08-28-2017 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 13042003)
Do you really think this was worth FIVE games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7qQtadYqsI

If this were any other player, no. Burfict is lucky he's still in the league at all. Because it's burfict it's absolutely worth that much.

JakeF 08-28-2017 07:49 AM

This is about Burfict's history of issues as much as this particular play. If this was another player it would have been a fine.

jspchief 08-28-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 13041932)
Looks like the NFL's play to ensure Roethlisberger has a chance at a final ring is in play...kind of like when they retroactively suspended S.Smith.

It led to ManningStein's final Arrowhead drive (Flemming)...and ultimately gave homefield to the Donks...

It's kind of amazing...that Osweiler led the Donks back against the Pats in the 4th quarter....well that and total shit officiating. It finalized homefield...

NFL gets what NFL wants...it's just much more overt since Goodell and their advertising deal.

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rain Man 08-28-2017 08:01 AM

This sort of thing could turn Burfict into an angry man who lashes out at others.

OnTheWarpath15 08-28-2017 08:04 AM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...aring-officer/

Quote:

With the league having so much control over so many aspects of player discipline, it’s easy to forget that, in one specific area, the NFL doesn’t make the final call.

When it comes to punishment imposed for on-field misconduct, the league and the NFL Players Association have jointly hired, and jointly compensate, a pair of hearing officers to resolve the appeals: Derrick Brooks and James Thrash. One of them will determine whether: (1) the hit from Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict on Chiefs fullback Anthony Sherman was illegal; and (2) if so, whether he should be suspended five games for it.

Burfict’s history has a direct influence on the punishment. The NFL employs a system of progressive discipline in matters of this nature, with the thinking being that the punishment will increase until the player gets the message. Burfict, in the league’s view, clearly hasn’t gotten the message.

And so, after a three-game suspension imposed (and upheld) after an illegal hit on Steelers receiver Antonio Brown, Burfict now faces the next level — a five-game banishment. If this one is upheld and he still doesn’t get the message, it will continue to get worse.

jspchief 08-28-2017 08:17 AM

1. It's a new rule this year. You can be a defenseless receiver even within 5 yds of the Los.

2. Punishments grow in severity with multiple offenses. Burficts history is the reason it's so harsh.

3. It doesn't look like something that warrants a suspension IMO. Personal foul flag should be enough. But Burfict is one step closer to being out of the league, so I'm fine with it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KChiefs1 08-28-2017 09:25 AM

ESPN defending him saying Alex Smith's pump fake caused it & it wasn't as bad as it looked.

I'm through with ESPN.

vailpass 08-28-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 13041932)
Looks like the NFL's play to ensure Roethlisberger has a chance at a final ring is in play...kind of like when they retroactively suspended S.Smith.

It led to ManningStein's final Arrowhead drive (Flemming)...and ultimately gave homefield to the Donks...

It's kind of amazing...that Osweiler led the Donks back against the Pats in the 4th quarter....well that and total shit officiating. It finalized homefield...

NFL gets what NFL wants...it's just much more overt since Goodell and their advertising deal.

LMAO WhackOp you are the best.

ChiTown 08-28-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 13042170)
ESPN defending him saying Alex Smith's pump fake caused it & it wasn't as bad as it looked.

I'm through with ESPN.

Mostly, I watch ESPN for College Basketball and Football Games that are of interest to me. I don't watch their halftime bullshit or any of their shows. It's complete crap. And, Monday Night Football.............unbearable. I have to grit my teeth when the Chiefs are playing.

jettio 08-28-2017 09:53 AM

Burfict's helmet hits Sherman's facemask and maybe even the temporal area of Sherman's helmet, which is the area most likely to result in concussion on direct impact.

If all teams were also told that there would be an emphasis on excessive hits to defenseless receivers within 5 of LOS, it was pretty clear that Burfict knew he was hitting Sherman without Sherman seeing it coming.

If the pass was to Sherman, Burfict could have prevented completion very easily or even if a completion, a 1-2 yard gain.

It was a clear aggressor helmet shell to other player's headgear during a decleater hit. If Burfict goes lower, maybe no suspension. Fact that helmet shell hit headgear means appeal could only reduce number of games, no way appeal oveturns suspension decision.

JakeF 08-28-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 13042106)
1. It's a new rule this year. You can be a defenseless receiver even within 5 yds of the Los.

I didn't know that. I don't think all the talking heads on tv do either.

Quesadilla Joe 08-28-2017 10:16 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Smh at Burfict being supsended for playing football. Should of supsended the other guy 4 not having his head on a swivel</p>&mdash; PFTCommenter (@PFTCommenter) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/902190085193383936">August 28, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

nceagle_11 08-28-2017 01:12 PM

NO

[QUOTE=-King-;13041962]Is this illegal too?

No it's not. Pushing whith the hands is different than leading with the shoulder. And Burfict wasn't within 5 yards as you keep saying, it was 6-7. Not a big difference, but changes the rules.

staylor26 08-28-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quesadilla Joe (Post 13042213)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Smh at Burfict being supsended for playing football. Should of supsended the other guy 4 not having his head on a swivel</p>&mdash; PFTCommenter (@PFTCommenter) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/902190085193383936">August 28, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't think the hit warranted a suspension, but how do you keep your head on a swivel when you're running a route?

Nickhead 08-28-2017 03:50 PM

considering burfict has a history, it's plausible five games is warranted. :D