ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Books Marvel's new Iron Man is a black woman. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=300747)

DaneMcCloud 07-08-2016 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 12307022)
You said, "Because of the backlash, that "reveal" lasted about 10 days." I'm saying the reveal would have lasted the exact same amount of time regardless of backlash.

So, you think that Marvel would have divulged the "secret" if there had been zero backlash?

I disagree. Completely.

Quote:

In spite of the success of the movies, comics still don't sell particularly well. Trying to launch new characters without the boost of an existing franchise is a recipe for failure.

No, it's not. Disney could easily introduce her in their Avengers animated series, then moved to the comics.

Quote:

So you launch this character in Iron Man, and a year or so down the line Tony Stark comes back and she spins out into her own Iron Girl series. Hopefully she's built enough of a fan base in the main book to stay afloat. I really fail to see why that's such a horrible thing.

Because it's completely unnecessary. Plus, how is a woman "Iron Man"?

SAUTO 07-08-2016 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12307043)
So, you think that Marvel would have divulged the "secret" if there had been zero backlash?

"?

I think hes saying they didn't leak anything until #2 came out

DaneMcCloud 07-08-2016 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12307090)
I think hes saying they didn't leak anything until #2 came out

Hmm. I heard about the latest reveal in early June. #2 wasn't released until June 29th.

Maybe I heard it at a party or something.

Jamie 07-08-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12307043)

I disagree. Completely.

Okay, but it's not really a matter of opinion. The Cap-is-Hydra reveal was walked back in the very next issue of the comic, and it's practically impossible that Marvel could have changed that comic in response to the backlash and still have it come out on time.

Quote:

No, it's not. Disney could easily introduce her in their Avengers animated series, then moved to the comics.
Not much crossover between the animated audience and the comics either. At least not going from animated to comics.

Quote:

Because it's completely unnecessary. Plus, how is a woman "Iron Man"?
What would be necessary? It's comic books. Her armor looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/JtLd0RJ.jpg

It may be part of the story that she's hiding her identity/gender. Which brings up another point, this shit isn't even out yet. It may be that Iron Man as a title is still mostly about Tony Stark out-of-the-armor, and Riri Williams is more of a supporting character.

DaneMcCloud 07-08-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 12307126)
Okay, but it's not really a matter of opinion. The Cap-is-Hydra reveal was walked back in the very next issue of the comic, and it's practically impossible that Marvel could have changed that comic in response to the backlash and still have it come out on time.

That's a good question. There's been speculation that Marvel redid #2 after the backlash. While I agree that it was going to be revealed as false in #2, it doesn't mean that Marvel couldn't have changed the comic in less than 30 days. I'm going to ask around.

As for the animated Avengers and the comics, the animated series does very well for Disney. It's been recently revealed that animated Star Wars characters will appear in upcoming movies, so I don't understand why the same thing couldn't happen with Marvel

Anyway, I'm not passionate about this subject but I still believe that a new female character wearing a homemade Iron suit didn't necessarily need to be introduced in the Iron Man comic.

But that's just, like, my opinion. :D

WhiteWhale 07-08-2016 08:00 PM

How many of the people complaining actually buy comic books? How many, specifically, buy Captain America or Iron Man books?

I'm just curious if the people flapping their wrists actually pay for the products they're pitching a fit about.

Comics have been doing cheap stunts like this for decades. The level of anger that occurs in the age of social media is laughable. People take entertainment way too ****ing seriously. It's for killing boredom, not emotional investment. Good heavens.

DaneMcCloud 07-08-2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 12307513)
It's for killing boredom, not emotional investment. Good heavens.

Not anymore.

Everything is now in the MCU.

Jamie 07-09-2016 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12307131)
That's a good question. There's been speculation that Marvel redid #2 after the backlash. While I agree that it was going to be revealed as false in #2, it doesn't mean that Marvel couldn't have changed the comic in less than 30 days. I'm going to ask around.

Lettering is done digitally now so they could have changed some dialog easily enough, but the whole comic is Red Skull explaining his plan and how he did it, so it would have had to have been totally redrawn. A fast artist could draw a comic in 30 days, but that doesn't leave time for the other steps in the process (writing, inking, coloring), let alone printing and shipping it out. Also pulling something like that would mean trashing whatever work was done on subsequent issues, and as far as I know #3 is still scheduled to come out on time.

Quote:

As for the animated Avengers and the comics, the animated series does very well for Disney. It's been recently revealed that animated Star Wars characters will appear in upcoming movies, so I don't understand why the same thing couldn't happen with Marvel
Sort of a bad example since Marvel Studios divorced from the rest of the company, but yeah, it's possible that they could do something like that between animation and comics. But even though they're still both on the Perlmutter side of the company, comics isn't really in a position to dictate that to animation. And like I said before, animation doesn't really translate to comics sales.

Quote:

Anyway, I'm not passionate about this subject but I still believe that a new female character wearing a homemade Iron suit didn't necessarily need to be introduced in the Iron Man comic.

But that's just, like, my opinion. :D
Of course it didn't need to be, but if it gives the character a better chance of sticking, what's the harm? Does it damage the sacred title "Iron Man"? Worse than that time they revealed that Tony Stark was evil his entire adult life, killed him off, and replaced him with a teenage version of himself?

Oh, and in other news, Dr. Doom is also Iron Man.

http://i.imgur.com/vjhpxQm.jpg

Just Passin' By 07-09-2016 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 12307845)
Lettering is done digitally now so they could have changed some dialog easily enough, but the whole comic is Red Skull explaining his plan and how he did it, so it would have had to have been totally redrawn. A fast artist could draw a comic in 30 days, but that doesn't leave time for the other steps in the process (writing, inking, coloring), let alone printing and shipping it out. Also pulling something like that would mean trashing whatever work was done on subsequent issues, and as far as I know #3 is still scheduled to come out on time.

Sort of a bad example since Marvel Studios divorced from the rest of the company, but yeah, it's possible that they could do something like that between animation and comics. But even though they're still both on the Perlmutter side of the company, comics isn't really in a position to dictate that to animation. And like I said before, animation doesn't really translate to comics sales.

Of course it didn't need to be, but if it gives the character a better chance of sticking, what's the harm? Does it damage the sacred title "Iron Man"? Worse than that time they revealed that Tony Stark was evil his entire adult life, killed him off, and replaced him with a teenage version of himself?

Oh, and in other news, Dr. Doom is also Iron Man.

http://i.imgur.com/vjhpxQm.jpg

Why do people excuse one dumbass move by pointing to another dumbass move, as if that makes the first dumbass move alright?

Jamie 07-09-2016 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 12307861)
Why do people excuse one dumbass move by pointing to another dumbass move, as if that makes the first dumbass move alright?

Well, first thing, clearly I don't think this is an obviously dumbass move. It could turn out that way, but the story has barely started. Secondly I don't know if the other dumbass move you're referring to is Doom-as-Iron Man, or the evil Stark story. I brought up Doom-as-Iron Man just as relevant news. For the record, I don't see it as an obviously dumbass move either.

The evil Stark storyline I brought up for perspective. Even if this storyline turns out bad, it won't do any lasting damage to Iron Man as a character. It can't. It'll just be retconned and forgotten like any number of shitty stories before it. It's just not something that's outrage-worthy.

JD10367 07-09-2016 09:45 AM

Gosh, I hope, in addition to being a black woman, she's a vegan lesbian Muslim. Might as well cover all those PC bases at once.

DaneMcCloud 07-09-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 12308051)
Gosh, I hope, in addition to being a black woman, she's a vegan lesbian Muslim. Might as well cover all those PC bases at once.

Being vegetarian is "politically correct"?

:rolleyes:

Tribal Warfare 07-09-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

[sarcasm]You forgot transgender you insensitive asshole[/sarcasm]

Rausch 07-09-2016 11:41 AM

And I've come to the point I WON'T EVEN STEAL YOUR PRODUCT!

I DON'T EVEN WANT YOUR PRODUCT FOR FREE!

When Marvel was approached with the idea of "diversity" they went full 1984, 1/2 assed rebooted, and then just took all the popular characters and made them ethnic.

BECAUSE...

Bowser 07-09-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Her have vape just for the trifecta.