ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto 2002 Chrysler Town & Country Radiator Questions (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=298350)

Gonzo 02-21-2016 10:28 AM

You poor bastard. That sounds like a total pain in the ass.

Speaking of which... I have to replace the power steering pump in Lumpy's '04 Jeep Liberty. I checked it out and it's going to be a total cluster ****.

SAUTO 02-21-2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 12092362)
You poor bastard. That sounds like a total pain in the ass.

Speaking of which... I have to replace the power steering pump in Lumpy's '04 Jeep Liberty. I checked it out and it's going to be a total cluster ****.

Why? Which motor ?

SAUTO 02-21-2016 10:59 AM

Just rent the pulley remover installer from the parts store, O'Reilly usually had a good one.

Gonzo 02-21-2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12092391)
Why? Which motor ?

6 cylinder. I don't recall the CUI.

I have most of the tools needed to do it. It's just a helkuva pain in the ass.

SAUTO 02-21-2016 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 12092428)
6 cylinder. I don't recall the CUI.

I have most of the tools needed to do it. It's just a helkuva pain in the ass.

3.7 is fairly easy iirc. Hell they even give you holes through the pulley to get the bolts out lo

Dinny Bossa Nova 03-10-2016 11:12 AM

Got the radiator out. Repair shop said broken at outlet, can't be repaired. Got the new radiator today. That's the good news.

There's even better news. When I told her I would replace the alternator, I asked her how she knew the alternator was the reason her battery light was on. She said a member of her church congregation had looked at it and determined it was the alternator. I guaranteed her I would replace the alternator, but not that the light would go out.

Went to get the new alternator today. Just to keep from wanting to, I had the auto zone guy throw the old one on the tester. It checked good, so I don't have to buy a new alternator, which is ~$180.00 worth of even better news.

The bad news is...why in the hell is the battery light coming on and what (outside of a piece of electricians tape) can I do to make the damned thing go out?

Dinny

Dinny Bossa Nova 03-10-2016 11:14 AM

Antifreeze, you ask?

Yes. I picked up two gallons.

Dinny

Fish 03-10-2016 11:22 AM

OBD2 tool might tell you why the battery light is coming on. Go back to the parts store and ask them to borrow their OBD tool and hook it up and check the codes.

There's a battery temp sensor that might be bad, if the battery and alternator are fine.

Dinny Bossa Nova 03-10-2016 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 12123952)
OBD2 tool might tell you why the battery light is coming on. Go back to the parts store and ask them to borrow their OBD tool and hook it up and check the codes.

There's a battery temp sensor that might be bad, if the battery and alternator are fine.

Thanks, Fish. That's a great idea. I have a scanner, but I never associated it with the battery light, just always the check engine light.

Cool.

Dinny

SAUTO 03-10-2016 11:41 AM

99% of the time its the alternator on those rigs...

TribalElder 03-10-2016 11:45 AM

I got one of these http://www.amazon.com/ELM327-Wireles...dp/B00VE8GUEW/ and it works kick ass for reading codes and flashing the check engine light aka clearing codes. Works on phone with obd car Doctor free app

Used it for a while before finally fixing the actual problem. Not sure if it will work for battery lights though

TribalElder 03-10-2016 11:46 AM

Dirty terminals?

Dinny Bossa Nova 03-10-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12124006)
99% of the time its the alternator on those rigs...

Man...

I was hoping you would have something to say that would make all my Chrysler troubles go away.

All I wanted to do was help this old woman out. ****ing Chryslers.

I'm going on break.

Dinny