ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek: Beyond (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=296731)

Deberg_1990 12-14-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11954030)

But that said, there was no reason for Paramount to rush out a trailer, especially one as shitty as this one. I just hope that none of my friends edited it.

I guess everybody wants to be attached to Star Wars this weekend.

Makes sense from a marketing perspective

Good grief, there are going to be like 30 minutes of trailers attached.

DaneMcCloud 12-14-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11954104)
I was thinking more along the lines of the producers, those 'visionary' folks telling us editor monkeys what to do...

And the marketing teams they're saddled to.

That's generally not the way it works for trailers. The studio or production company will hire a trailer house and sometimes, even a specific editor.

They hire a music supervisor, who then tries to secure the rights to a specific song or songs, along with trailer music from one of the production libraries, which the editor will cut in. Often times, there are five or six distinct pieces of music for one trailer.

But whoever cut this trailer - yeesh. No feel whatsoever.

keg in kc 12-14-2015 06:54 PM

(I meant whoever was acting as producer for the house who put together the trailer. I know it's completely unrelated to the movie's production...)

DaneMcCloud 12-14-2015 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11954179)
(I meant whoever was acting as producer for the house who put together the trailer. I know it's completely unrelated to the movie's production...)

The editor generally has free reign.

It's also extremely lucrative, even reality TV. Really big bucks and they're always in demand.

JD10367 12-14-2015 07:46 PM

I dunno, I didn't mind "STID" and this trailer doesn't bother me either. It is what it is. I like the character reboots and how the new actors are portraying them. This trailer was clearly cut to push the F&TF angle and the connection with the director.

Jamie 12-14-2015 09:45 PM

I bet they'll repair the Enterprise in the end, like they did in Into Darkness. I think you see it crashed on a planet, ****ed up but semi-intact, at 0:30.

They do over-rely on blowing up the ship to raise stakes, but from a continuity nerd point of view I wish they had stuck to the plan of blowing up the Enterprise in the beginning of Trek 09. Basically it was going to be a newly launched TOS Enterprise instead of the Kelvin. Which would have explained why Kirk seemed to have some attachment to the Enterprise, and why it looks completely different to how it did in the original universe.

One thing, I do think the uniforms look better. I never liked the superhero costume texture they used in the previous two movies.

listopencil 12-15-2015 01:17 AM

So the movie is one long away mission resulting from a catastrophe that disables/destroys the ship. The away mission takes place in a retro-futuristic semi-anarchistic dystopian society/setting. I see Star Fleet unis on people in the background. So I'm assuming that Kirk bonds with a hot goth-hippy chick while performing a scout mission, Spock and Bones attempt to take over the established society and free the crew/society, and Scotty makes cameos doing weird stuff to move the plot past technical issues.

RINGLEADER 12-15-2015 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11953208)
This looks awful, IMO.

This also does not bode well for the new series, since it's the same writer and producer.

Totally agree. I spent the entire trailer trying to figure out WTF is going on and wondering why everyone is jumping...

Worst trailer released this week...

Buehler445 12-15-2015 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11953425)
Robert Orci is creating a new Star Trek series that will be broadcast only on the new streaming CBS website, which will cost $5.99 per month.

It's just another dumb Star Trek idea.

Ugh.

Thanks for filling me in.

siberian khatru 12-15-2015 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 11953194)
I liked the 2009 Star Trek movie.

Into Darkness was god awful.

This looks even worse.

+1

siberian khatru 12-15-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11953433)
Turning Star Trek into action schlock is the worst thing ever.

This too.

Halfcan 12-15-2015 09:24 AM

Awesome-another Star Trek movie, another Star Wars, another Superman, another Alien, another Captain America.. and they remade Tarzan as well.

Might as well remake Ground Hog day too-because that is what it is like going to the movies- same movies again and again.

DaneMcCloud 12-15-2015 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 11955178)
Awesome-another Star Trek movie, another Star Wars, another Superman, another Alien, another Captain America.. and they remade Tarzan as well.

Might as well remake Ground Hog day too-because that is what it is like going to the movies- same movies again and again.

Groundhog Day was already remade with Tom Cruise.

It's called Edge of Tomorrow.

DJ's left nut 12-15-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11955197)
Groundhog Day was already remade with Tom Cruise.

It's called Edge of Tomorrow.

Yeah, but that movie was awesome so it gets a pass.

unlurking 12-15-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11955895)
Yeah, but that movie was awesome so it gets a pass.

Mainly because watching Cruise die over and over and over and over and over was more fun than any plot involved.