ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Gregg Marshall (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291488)

Deberg_1990 03-23-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 11400308)
Only possible catch with Texas is that they'll still be a football school, no matter what he does. It'd never be like a Kansas, Indiana, North Carolina, etc. He'd certainly get the resources to win though.

Rick Barnes continues to do less with more every year at Texas and still no pressure to lose his job. There is zero expectations of basketball at Texas.

Buehler445 03-23-2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Only possible catch with Texas is that they'll still be a football school, no matter what he does. It'd never be like a Kansas, Indiana, North Carolina, etc. He'd certainly get the resources to win though.

Billy Donovan has done outstanding things at a football school.

Buehler445 03-23-2015 10:31 PM

As far as Marshall goes, as long as he doesn't epic tank, he's got a lifetime contract. That may be worth something to him. For ****s sake, douchebags in this very forum want Self gone because he only won his 11th straight conference championship. Coaching at a Blue Blood would be incredibly pressure packed. After UK lost to Robert Morris and they were losing half their games, you bet there mother****ers wanting Cal gone...2 years after their last title. (My neighbor has family down there) He may not want that.

Also, at Wichita State he can get guys like Baker who will work for him, versus getting a guy like Marcus ****ing Foster. He can take a chance, where even at a mid-level program like KSU, Weber can't tell Foster to go get ****ed by an elephant. If guys like Baker, Wessel, Carter dick off, they're going away, and if they suffer for it, Marshall isn't going down.

If Marshall goes to UT, he'll be expected to land 5* recruits. I don't know if he can get those guys. I'm pretty sure guys like Isiah Taylor don't want to press and bring the consistent defensive intensity that Marshall requires. Maybe he wouldn't require it if he had the talent, but those are all questions.

Anyway, I have little doubt Marshall would wreck shit at a joint like UT, but it isn't guaranteed. Some guys prefer one in the hand vs 2 in the south end of a northfacing longhorn.

Reerun_KC 03-23-2015 11:22 PM

Buehler u nutty ****er . LOL!

duncan_idaho 03-24-2015 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 11400644)
As far as Marshall goes, as long as he doesn't epic tank, he's got a lifetime contract. That may be worth something to him. For ****s sake, douchebags in this very forum want Self gone because he only won his 11th straight conference championship. Coaching at a Blue Blood would be incredibly pressure packed. After UK lost to Robert Morris and they were losing half their games, you bet there mother****ers wanting Cal gone...2 years after their last title. (My neighbor has family down there) He may not want that.

Also, at Wichita State he can get guys like Baker who will work for him, versus getting a guy like Marcus ****ing Foster. He can take a chance, where even at a mid-level program like KSU, Weber can't tell Foster to go get ****ed by an elephant. If guys like Baker, Wessel, Carter dick off, they're going away, and if they suffer for it, Marshall isn't going down.

If Marshall goes to UT, he'll be expected to land 5* recruits. I don't know if he can get those guys. I'm pretty sure guys like Isiah Taylor don't want to press and bring the consistent defensive intensity that Marshall requires. Maybe he wouldn't require it if he had the talent, but those are all questions.

Anyway, I have little doubt Marshall would wreck shit at a joint like UT, but it isn't guaranteed. Some guys prefer one in the hand vs 2 in the south end of a northfacing longhorn.

Have you watched much AAU basketball?

It's full of high pressure/full court pressure defense. Half-court not as much, but that's something a quality coach can teach.

A lot of basketball players - especially perimeter-based guys - love to press full court, because it leads to turnovers and transition - and that leads to highlight opportunities.

A faster pace of play also leads to more shots for everyone.

My point: I don't think Marshall's style of on-court play is something that would depress his opportunities with 5-star guys.

It would be scary to think what he could do at a school where he could consistently land 4-star, 4-year kids and supplement that with a major talent or two a year like Jahlil Okafor or Karl-Anthony Townes.

Andoverer 03-24-2015 05:27 AM

In my opinion, Marshall might be content to roll along with Wichita State and what he has built here until the prime opportunity of opportunities presents itself...... when Coach K at Duke or Roy Williams at North Carolina decide to hang them up. He likely then he would shed the WSU position and take one of those spots. A Blue-Blood school near his southern roots to finish up his coaching career. That's how I see it playing out anyway.

Hound333 03-24-2015 06:34 AM

I think if you GM you leave because you can get better recruits every year at a place like Texas. Sure he has gotten some recruits at WSU but that was more lightning in a bottle as very few expected all those kids to be that good. Im sure his coaching has something to do with it as well but that just makes my point even more. If he gets the right 5 star kids he could become one of those coaches on the level of Self/K/Cal/Roy.

I think he will have too many down years every now and then at WSU where you might not make the tourney to end up a hall of fame type coach. At Texas his down years would be like Self's down years when your still a top 15 team.

Buehler445 03-24-2015 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 11400729)
Have you watched much AAU basketball?

It's full of high pressure/full court pressure defense. Half-court not as much, but that's something a quality coach can teach.

A lot of basketball players - especially perimeter-based guys - love to press full court, because it leads to turnovers and transition - and that leads to highlight opportunities.

A faster pace of play also leads to more shots for everyone.

My point: I don't think Marshall's style of on-court play is something that would depress his opportunities with 5-star guys.

It would be scary to think what he could do at a school where he could consistently land 4-star, 4-year kids and supplement that with a major talent or two a year like Jahlil Okafor or Karl-Anthony Townes.

I haven't watched aau ball. And he could very well recruit like a bamf. I'm just saying he hasn't.

Has Barnes been fired yet?

Brock 03-24-2015 07:48 AM

It's a given that he'll leave someday but it isn't going to be for some school like Texas. If he wanted that he would have went to Missouri when they backed the truck up to his front door.

Andoverer 03-24-2015 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11400839)
It's a given that he'll leave someday but it isn't going to be for some school like Texas. If he wanted that he would have went to Missouri when they backed the truck up to his front door.

and Cal, and Tennessee, and S. Carolina. And that's the ones we know about

Andoverer 03-24-2015 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hound333 (Post 11400792)
I think if you GM you leave because you can get better recruits every year at a place like Texas. Sure he has gotten some recruits at WSU but that was more lightning in a bottle as very few expected all those kids to be that good. Im sure his coaching has something to do with it as well but that just makes my point even more. If he gets the right 5 star kids he could become one of those coaches on the level of Self/K/Cal/Roy.

I think he will have too many down years every now and then at WSU where you might not make the tourney to end up a hall of fame type coach. At Texas his down years would be like Self's down years when your still a top 15 team.

Marshall's recent history and trajectory

2007-2008..... 11-20 first year at Wichita St.
2008-2009..... 17-17
2009-2010..... 25-10 NIT loses first round
2010-2011..... 29-8 Wins NIT
2011-2012..... 27-6 NCAA loses first game to VCU
2012-2013..... 30-9 NCAA Final Four loses to Louisville the eventual champs
2013-2014..... 35-1 NCAA #1 seed loses to Kentucky
2014-2015..... 30-4 NCAA sweet sixteen and still going

I believe he's doing quite alright in Wichita. Plus his star still seems to be rising here. Why on earth mess up a good thing?

dtrain 03-24-2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 11399722)
3+ million is NOT a bad career move.

If he wants to win it is.

Chief_For_Life58 03-24-2015 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 11400199)
I don't believe that would be a great fit for either Marshall or the Program.

Were gettin shaka when bill leaves

ChiefaRoo 03-24-2015 10:17 AM

Quote:

I've lived in Memphis, Wichita and Austin. Austin is a distant third in comparison to the interest in College Basketball than either of the other two towns/States. TX is a Football state. I have trouble finding decent leagues for my kid to play BBall at the Grade School level. Grade School football camps last 6 weeks in the summer and people plan their lives around getting their kid in shape. I've also been to several Texas BBall games. The place is rarely full regardless of rank. For a city of this size its amazing the apathy and lack of interest.

Predarat 03-24-2015 11:34 AM

Heard he is going to Texas A and M if they fire their coach.