ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Tea drinkers... chime in (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287809)

Saulbadguy 10-25-2014 05:05 PM

One of the few food/beverages I really dislike. It just tastes like tainted water to me. I really enjoy coffee, though.

Donger 10-25-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 11050534)
Jesus. That would put me back to bed and I wouldn't eat again for a day...

That's not a normal amount, at least for my family. It was toast, baked beans, bacon, sausage and egg. And, fried tomatoes, which I didn't eat. We also didn't have lunch that day.

It was a treat, really.

BucEyedPea 10-25-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 11050391)
I used to drink a lot of tea while working on the farm when I was younger (1970s-80s). It was probably a lower quality tea since we were out in the middle of nowhere and you get what you get.

I recently asked for tea as my beverage at a decent restaurant. Wow! It was really good! I asked about it and the waitress said it was a black/green tea mix steeped in boiling water.

My question is: Is it the tea or the preparation... or both? Are there any brands that are better than others? Lipton seems to dominate the market, but as in all things "food related" the biggest seller isn't always the best thing.

Chime in please.

Well, I like Lipton for daily use such as a big pot of iced-tea in summer. No, it's not the best.

The best tea I've ever had was always in England and it wasn't that so-called "English Breakfast Tea" which I find foul-tasting. I think it's part the type of tea and how they brew it by having it sit in a ceramic pot on the table. I've never been able to replicate it though. Same with their wonderful dairy and cream. Maybe it's the difference in the water?

Closest I could come to it is another wonderful tea called Darjeeling. That's because I enjoy a light-bodied floral tea. It's wonderful. This thread reminds me to buy it again. I've not had it in years.

Chia tea is another but I can't find the original one I ever had, nor can I remember the brand but none taste the same. Chai tea, for some reason, tastes best with soy milk. Don't know why. It must be because the first cup I ever had used it. It was served to me by my Sikh chiropractor's office which was in Cambridge. It was wonderful.

Donger 10-25-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 11050539)
I nailed that one.

No offense, but that's like predicting that I'll show up in a crude oil thread.

BucEyedPea 10-25-2014 05:35 PM

I am not crazy about green tea tho' and I have a ton of it from Costco still sittin' in the cupboard or garage maybe. Never had it mixed with black though and it did taste better with lemon. I wouldn't think to ever put milk or cream in green tea tho.'

BucEyedPea 10-25-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 11050587)
It was toast, baked beans, bacon, sausage and egg. And, fried tomatoes, which I didn't eat. We also didn't have lunch that day.

It was a treat, really.

A very English breakfast with the beans and fried tomato in there. When I saw that on my plate in England, those two baffled me.

BucEyedPea 10-25-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11050521)
Wrong thread?

Tea came with it tho.' It's on the table but missed the viewfinder. :D

Lonewolf Ed 10-25-2014 05:42 PM

Unless I am sick, I only drink hot tea in autumn and winter. I like Twining's English breakfast and Earl Grey, both with honey and lemon juice. When I am sick, I have green tea. At Christmas, I like some of the Christmas teas with ginger and cloves.

BucEyedPea 10-25-2014 05:49 PM

If you really want to try other teas, might as well try Darjeeling, Stewie.

Here's a good write-up on it's magnificence.

What's the deal with Darjeeling, and why is it so highly prized? It's a Chinese tea that grows in India with flavors of French grapes and Himalayan mountain air. It can taste more like wine than other tea. Even if you're not a tea drinker, good Darjeeling is so interesting that it's really worth a try. If your only Darjeeling experiences have been with blended teas, added flavors, or the dark bitterness of over-brewing, there's a lot more to it that's worth sipping.

Darjeeling is frequently called the "Champagne of teas,"
with musky-sweet tasting notes similar to muscat wine. But it can also have delicate vegetal, mossy, fruity, and citrus flavors. Though Darjeeling is an Indian-grown tea (from, you got it, Darjeeling), the leaves are actually Chinese. "Most tea plants in Darjeeling are of the smaller leaf Camellia sinensis var. sinensis, rather than the larger leaf var. assamica, more commonly grown throughout the rest of India," explains Jim Schreiber, a tea and beverage operations manager.

"While classified as a black tea, Darjeeling teas are almost always less oxidized than a typical black tea," says Schreiber. The unique flavor of Darjeeling comes from Chinese tea genetics mixing with Indian terroir—plus the intricacies of harvesting and processing. It's lighter and less astringent than most black tea, but more layered and complex than most greens.

The same Darjeeling tea from the same plantation will taste different depending on when it's harvested. These periodic harvests, called flushes, span the tea growing season, punctuated by the regular high mountain rains. From the first to the last harvest, the general flavor trend is light and delicate to robust and full-bodied. The second flush from the more mature plant is where the big wine-like flavors come out, but the highly prized first flush, which uses the very youngest leaves, is where you can find some really interesting, delicate, and smooth arboreal-minty-fresh mountain air flavors.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/0...rst-flush.html

listopencil 10-25-2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 11050410)
Tea? Earl Grey, hot.

Yes.
<script status="whitelisted" id="yarip-default-script" type="text/javascript">var yarip = { $: function(xpath) { var arr = []; var xr = document.evaluate(xpath, document, null, XPathResult.ORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE, null); if (xr) for (var i = 0; i < xr.snapshotLength; i++) { var e = xr.snapshotItem(i); if (e && (e.nodeType !== 1 || !/^yarip-/.test(e.id))) { arr.push(e); } } return arr; }, run: function(fun, xpath) { var arr = this.$(xpath); if (arr.length > 0) fun.call(this, arr); } }</script><script status="whitelisted" id="yarip-element-script_www-chiefsplanet-com_0" type="text/javascript">yarip.run(function (array) { for (var i = 0; i < array.length; i++) { var element = array[i]; console.debug("Found element:", element); } }, "/html/body/div/div[@class='page']/div/div[1]"); </script>

listopencil 10-25-2014 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 11050516)

Would plow.
<script status="whitelisted" id="yarip-default-script" type="text/javascript">var yarip = { $: function(xpath) { var arr = []; var xr = document.evaluate(xpath, document, null, XPathResult.ORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE, null); if (xr) for (var i = 0; i < xr.snapshotLength; i++) { var e = xr.snapshotItem(i); if (e && (e.nodeType !== 1 || !/^yarip-/.test(e.id))) { arr.push(e); } } return arr; }, run: function(fun, xpath) { var arr = this.$(xpath); if (arr.length > 0) fun.call(this, arr); } }</script><script status="whitelisted" id="yarip-element-script_www-chiefsplanet-com_0" type="text/javascript">yarip.run(function (array) { for (var i = 0; i < array.length; i++) { var element = array[i]; console.debug("Found element:", element); } }, "/html/body/div/div[@class='page']/div/div[1]"); </script>

ChiefsLV 10-25-2014 10:01 PM

Earl Grey hot with milk and sugar is my go-to when I don't want the heavy coffee jolt. Also do various chai teas, pu-erh, and blooming teas

Pitt Gorilla 10-25-2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 11050391)
I used to drink a lot of tea while working on the farm when I was younger (1970s-80s). It was probably a lower quality tea since we were out in the middle of nowhere and you get what you get.

I recently asked for tea as my beverage at a decent restaurant. Wow! It was really good! I asked about it and the waitress said it was a black/green tea mix steeped in boiling water.

My question is: Is it the tea or the preparation... or both? Are there any brands that are better than others? Lipton seems to dominate the market, but as in all things "food related" the biggest seller isn't always the best thing.

Chime in please.

It's both, but preparation is key.

Just Passin' By 10-25-2014 11:30 PM

There is a wide variety of tea available. I use loose leaf tea, rather than tea bags. A company like Teavana

http://www.teavana.com/

can get you started, both with basic teas and a variety of flavored teas chai/rooibos/herbal teas. I've usually got between 6 and 12 different teas on hand at any one time, since I don't drink coffee and tea is my hot beverage of choice.

Preparation is important, but there's no sense in you going crazy about it unless you find you really like teas.

The general temperatures are:

175 degrees for White Tea
175 degrees for Green Tea
195 degrees for Oolong Tea
195 degrees for Black Tea
208 degrees for Herbal Tea
208 degrees for Rooibos Tea
208 degrees for Mate Tea

How to brew loose leaf tea

Cornstock 10-26-2014 12:08 AM

Jasmine tea is amazing. You can buy it at hyvee in bulk like you do coffee. It's expensive, but if you get a dimwit to ring it up as coffee you can get $10 worth of tea for 84 cents