ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Should the NFL overtime rules be changed? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=286764)

alnorth 09-21-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10937760)
Denver should have won that game. Either call it a tie at the end of regulation or let both teams have the ball.

What I saw this afternoon was a travesty.

Why?!?!?

The OT rules are not brand-new.

There is nothing wrong with the OT rules, Denver did NOT deserve a possession, it was NOT a travesty, and Seattle won the game.

milkman 09-21-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Denver should have won that game. Either call it a tie at the end of regulation or let both teams have the ball.

No Denver should not have won that game.

Travesty?

LMAO

Bitch.

Rain Man 09-21-2014 09:07 PM

Maybe we could leave the overtime rules the way they are, but the coaches and players switch roles. It would be cool to see Emmitt Thomas play cornerback again.

tk13 09-21-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 10937763)
This is exactly why the NFL would never adopt the NCAA rule.

Although the way the NFL is trending, maybe that's what they want.

Seriously though... a side effect of going to college OT rules would be the destruction of fantasy football. Imagine the first time some dude lost a thousand bucks because his defense allowed 42 points in a double OT game.

BigCatDaddy 09-21-2014 09:08 PM

How about each teams kicker kicks 5 field goals from the 50 and whoever makes the most wins? Great idea, huh huh?

Iconic 09-21-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10937768)
Why?!?!?

The OT rules are not brand-new.

There is nothing wrong with the OT rules, Denver did NOT deserve a possession, it was NOT a travesty, and Seattle won the game.

So if this rule ever fires back on the Chiefs, at home, in a playoff loss, I'll be sure to say "We did NOT deserve a possession!"

tk13 09-21-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10937766)
That doesn't happen so much anymore as now you have to go for TDs after like the 2nd round or something.

No, you have to go for a 2 point conversion starting with the 3rd OT. You can kick FGs on any possession. That's always been the case.

alnorth 09-21-2014 09:10 PM

I just looked. Seattle had 10 drives in regulation. Out of those 10 drives, Denver's defense was able to prevent a touchdown 8 times.

We're not talking about an impossible task here. Under the old rules, the coinflip-FG was annoying, but a coinflip-TD should not be something we should be worried about.

If Denver's defense fails to do something they did 8 out of 10 times, they deserve to lose without a possession.

tk13 09-21-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10937778)
So if this rule ever fires back on the Chiefs, at home, in a playoff loss, I'll be sure to say "We did NOT deserve a possession!"

If you let someone ram it down your throat with the game on the line, then no, you don't. Losing by a FG could be considered cheap, but not a TD.

The_Hound 09-21-2014 09:11 PM

yeah, **** those whiners. who cares? It's a coin toss, now get out there and stop them.

alnorth 09-21-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10937778)

We can't make rules based on what happened to your own team recently.

Touchdowns are not so incredibly damned hard to stop that we need to expect that the poor overmatched defense is incapable of preventing it. The current OT rules are objectively fine as they are, regardless of who they help or hurt next week or any week.

Iconic 09-21-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10937786)
If you let someone ram it down your throat with the game on the line, then no, you don't. Losing by a FG could be considered cheap, but not a TD.

Technically that is exactly what the Broncos did to the Seahawks right before they went into overtime. So...

CanadianChiefs 09-21-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10937749)
Why are both teams entitled to a possession? They played 4 full quarters and had plenty of chances to score again. This is a tie where neither team is really entitled to a win, and we just need a reasonable way to break the tie.

It seemed cheap when a coinflip-FG could win it, but if you can't stop a TD, then thats good enough for me to declare a winner.

True, but sometimes both defenses are terrible, so the team that wins the toss has a better chance to win.

mdstu 09-21-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

How long have you been watching football?

In the not so distant past the Seahawks would have started centering the ball on the field around the 30 yard line for a field goal.

You sound like a sniveling child.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-21-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Are u ever right? Turd.