ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *** OFFICIAL Pay it Forward/Random acts of kindness thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285836)

Bufkin 08-21-2014 11:34 AM

A few months ago, a guy got a soft drink at Kum and Go and then had his credit card declined. He said he was going to go to his truck and try to scoop up some change to pay for the 1.07 soda, but I told the cashier to put it on my credit card when paying for gas. The guy was extremely thankful, so I'll say it was the best buck I've ever spent.

BigRedChief 08-21-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bufkin (Post 10837710)
A few months ago, a guy got a soft drink at Kum and Go and then had his credit card declined. He said he was going to go to his truck and try to scoop up some change to pay for the 1.07 soda, but I told the cashier to put it on my credit card when paying for gas. The guy was extremely thankful, so I'll say it was the best buck I've ever spent.

Thats the thing with these type of events. It's not the $. You will never miss it and he would get over going to scrounge for some change. But you will both remember a kindness to a stranger with no motives than to help a fellow human being out.

It's not always the money or time invested that makes the difference, but just the effort itself to reach out to a fellow human being. It's the thought, not the material.

KC native 08-21-2014 11:40 AM

I let my wife order pizza last night instead of making dinner. I also gave her the night off from doing laundry /R8ers.

TLO 08-21-2014 11:56 AM

I helped this hot girl and her hot friend move a few things into their dorm room today. They thanked me by giving me their numbers.

Like a boss.

cosmo20002 08-21-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10837387)
I was part of this. I never get Starbucks but it got me to thinking... There is a lot of negative, horrible shit that happens in the world and to us. Maybe having one thread where we celebrate the what is best in us all wouldn't be such a bad thing.

We can post something that we heard about or happened to us or one of our friends or family. Doesn't have to be a big thing. Sometimes the small things like buying a cup of coffee for someone can make a difference. Anything we heard about a selfless act, giving to someone else for no reason other to make their life a little better, if only for a brief time can be posted here in this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

An act of kindness at a Starbucks drive-thru in Florida inspired an 11-hour chain of paying-it-forward.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ucks/14380109/

A woman drove up and paid for her own iced coffee at 7 a.m. Wednesday at a St. Petersburg store, and also asked to pay for a caramel macchiato for the driver behind her, who then did the same for the next customer.

After a few people continued the chain, the employees started keeping a tally on a piece of paper by the window.

By 1:30 p.m., 260 people had paid it forward, according to the Tampa Bay Times, ordering their own drinks and paying for one for the stranger behind them. After people ordered their drinks and drove up to the window, barista Vu Nguyen explained that the drink had already been paid for and asked if they'd like to return the favor. In total, 378 people agreed to keep it going.

The baristas thought that if the chain lasted until closing, at 10 p.m., they would put the remaining money on a gift card and continue the next day, according to the Tampa Bay Times. But the chain finally ended in that evening.

At 6 p.m., the 379th customer ended the chain by ordering a coffee and declining to pay for the next one.

Nguyen says he doesn't believe that final customer understood the pay-it-forward concept

I understood, but the guy behind me looked like an a-hole.

CaliforniaChief 08-21-2014 12:02 PM

It's great to see stuff like this. I think the more we try to please ourselves, the less satisfied we are. The more we serve others, the more personally-satisfied we become.

BigRedChief 08-21-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10837761)
I helped this hot girl and her hot friend move a few things into their dorm room today. They thanked me by giving me their numbers.

Like a boss.

That doesn't count.:harumph:

Sorter 08-21-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 10837488)
There was a homeless man about 3 weeks ago near 69 and 95th panhandling. I clipped him as I went around the corner.

He's in the hospital now, I suspect. So he has a nice bed and some food for as long as they keep him.

No need to thank me, Green-Coat-wearing Homeless dude. This is all about you. Pay it forward.

LMAO

Hammock Parties 08-21-2014 07:02 PM

Can we get some girl to charity **** xztop123?

The Franchise 08-22-2014 02:12 PM

The man who broke the chain is ****ing awesome.

Quote:

A Florida man put an end to a “pay it forward” streak at a local Starbucks because he said he thinks people were participating out of “guilt,” not “generosity.”

Peter Schorsch, a blogger, drove to the Starbucks drive-thru in St. Petersburg, Florida, on Thursday after hearing about the pay it forward phenomenon there that ended with customer No. 458. After he ordered two Venti Mocha Frappuccinos, the barista told him his first drink had been paid for by the previous customer and asked if he would like to pay for the next customer.

“I told him no,” Schorsch, of St. Petersburg, told ABC News. “When the barista asks you to pay it forward, it is no longer spontaneous.”

Though Schorsch didn't pay for the next customer at the drive-thru, he said he tipped the barista $100.

“I’m really not trying to be a Grinch,” Schorsch said. “I know things are hard for baristas and I am willing to help people.”
“I just don’t want to be forced into doing something,” said Schorsch, who is also a part-time political consultant. “This is turning into a social phenomenon and I had to put an end to it.”

When baristas ask customers to pay for the next customer, some patrons simply oblige out of guilt, not generosity, he said.

“Although I can’t prove it, I think this has become an organic marketing ploy for Starbucks,” Schorsch said. “I love Starbucks. I have nothing against them. But this takes away the genuineness.”

Schorsch said some patrons are driving to this particular store after they heard about the pay it forward streak.

“This is turning into something ridiculous and cheesy,” Schorsch said.

“It just seems like a First World problem to me. Middle-class people sitting in their cars at a drive-thru, sipping a $5 drink and worry about someone breaking the ranks,” Schorsch said.

“There is a little humor being a contrarian, but I think if you really want to help, find someone that obviously needs help, like the homeless,” Schorsch said.

"Also, I got a $6 Venti Frappuccino. Someone might just get a $2 coffee," Schorsch said. "This is unfair to that person who paid for me."

An employee at this Starbucks location referred ABC News to the company’s corporate media relations hotline this morning.

Linda Mills, Starbucks’ spokeswoman, did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for a comment.

This store’s pay it forward chain lasted for 10 hours on Wednesday, with 457 customers following the practice, until customer No. 458 refused.
https://gma.yahoo.com/florida-man-de...ries.html?vp=1

ThaVirus 08-22-2014 02:20 PM

What he did for the barista was pretty cool.

I had to laugh at the "I don't want to be forced into doing something" thing when the article states he drove to the Starbucks after hearing about the chain.

htismaqe 08-22-2014 02:21 PM

He makes a couple of really strong points.

Bearcat 08-22-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

“It just seems like a First World problem to me. Middle-class people sitting in their cars at a drive-thru, sipping a $5 drink and worry about someone breaking the ranks,” Schorsch said.

“There is a little humor being a contrarian, but I think if you really want to help, find someone that obviously needs help, like the homeless,” Schorsch said.
Yup.

Old Sport 08-22-2014 03:10 PM

I will never forget this one Christmas Eve about six years ago. It was very cold and I was pissed because I had to get to the mall to exchange a few things at the last minute and it was getting dark near closing time. As I approached the mall entrance I heard the faint whimpers of what seemed to be a young child. I glanced over and noticed a kid no more than 12 years old sitting in an alcove and sobbing into his gloves. I approached and asked him what happened and my heart sank as he told his story.

His mother was busy and had dropped him off with three $100 bills instructing him to buy presents for his three younger siblings while she was at work and would pick him up later. He said before he even got in the mall two bigger kids began taunting him and took two of the $100 bills. I asked him if he tried to run or shout for help and he told me he did. I asked him how he did it and in the faintest voice I have ever heard he cried, "help!" It was at this point I knew there was no way anyone could have heard him so I took the other $100 bill and got the hell out of there.

BigRedChief 08-27-2014 08:02 PM

A paramedic in Australia found a parking ticket belonging to a woman whose mother had died three days earlier and paid it because he figured the family was already going through a difficult enough time

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyl...d3fd1d6c195dc2

AN AMBULANCE officer's kindness has overwhelmed a Victorian woman grieving the death of her mother.

National Patient Transport Services officer Marc Primrose found a parking fine in the ambulance he used to help transport Rosemary Morgan’s mother Doreen from McKenna House Palliative Care in Broadmeadows to her Woodstock home on June 17.

The fine belonged to Mrs Morgan, whose mum died at the family home three days later.

Mr Primrose, a trainee ambulance paramedic, sensed the grief the family would have been going through and didn’t think twice about paying the $129 fine for her.

“It was my instinct not to just let this go because someone would have ended up with late fees and I didn’t want that to happen,” Mr Primrose said. “I’m just glad that it helped.”

Mrs Morgan said at the time the family didn’t think to check the parking meter.

“I think it was a three or four-hour parking limit, it wasn’t a long time,’’ Mrs Morgan said.

“We were in palliative care all night and day with mum. We didn’t want to leave her.”

She said seeing the parking ticket was horrible. “I just knew it was another thing I had to deal with later on,” she said.

“We just didn’t want to leave mum’s side.”

Mrs Morgan and her sister Karen were lucky enough to meet Mr Primrose in person and thank him for his act of kindness.

“For a complete stranger to do something like this was just amazing,” Mrs Morgan said.
“It’s been the little things like this that have helped us after mum’s death.”

http://www.fox17.com/news/features/t...note_23136.jpg