ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Do you think the NFL is "rigged?" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279323)

Reerun_KC 12-09-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10263049)
You're dodging the question. Bias from who? Preference from who?
The question is whether the NFL orders the refs to make calls to influence the game outcome.

I'm sure the NFL has a preference who is in the playoffs and SB because they know some teams will pull bigger ratings. But I can't see that the refs would care. So it comes back to whether the NFL is telling the refs to try to alter the game outcome.

Yes, otherwise you don't make the call in the endzone at NE... That was about as blatant as one can get. Yes I do believe the NFL has the officials alter the outcomes of games.

Nzoner 12-09-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 10263045)
If there was a directive from the office, the league would fold. Any person that ever bought a ticket or paid for Sunday ticket would be able to sue for their money back

NOPE

http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-the-nfl-rigged

In 2007 a Jets season ticket holder sued the NFL for $185 million and the case reached the US Supreme Court. The Jets fan argued that, all Jets fans are entitled to refunds because they paid for a ticket to a legitimate sporting event. Had he been aware that the games were not real then we would not have gone.

The Judge stated that a ticket to a game only provides you access to the stadium. The fan entered the stadium, witnessed a game, therefore he did not suffer any damages. The fan's lawyer disagreed and argued that the NFL committed consumer fraud.

Judges ruled that fixing a game for entertainment purposes was completely LEGAL.

BigRock 12-09-2013 10:17 AM

We can make a test case. There's not a chance in hell the NFL would want Seattle, with their repeated PED and other drug violations, anywhere near the Super Bowl. So let's see if some controversial call goes against them.

Eleazar 12-09-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 10263059)
Judges ruled that fixing a game for entertainment purposes was completely LEGAL.

Not at all. The ruling is just a determination of what a ticket is - admittance to a building - not some sort of guarantee of the specifics of the experience.

That doesn't mean that fraud would be legal at all.

loochy 12-09-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10263049)
You're dodging the question. Bias from who? Preference from who?
The question is whether the NFL orders the refs to make calls to influence the game outcome.

I'm sure the NFL has a preference who is in the playoffs and SB because they know some teams will pull bigger ratings. But I can't see that the refs would care. So it comes back to whether the NFL is telling the refs to try to alter the game outcome.

I wasn't dodging. I thought it was obvious.

The push is from the NFL offices, from the commissioner down. The refs care because their superiors care because there is a lot of money on the line, especially with the Vegas connection.

Eleazar 12-09-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 10263060)
We can make a test case. There's not a chance in hell the NFL would want Seattle, with their repeated PED and other drug violations, anywhere near the Super Bowl. So let's see if some controversial call goes against them.

You mean like when they played the Steelers, and the referees were doing everything they could to help the Steelers besides wearing black and yellow?

TheUte 12-09-2013 10:23 AM

I don't want to believe it, but the refereeing is having is effecting games. Off the top of my head bad/questionable calls changed 2 games yesterday.

Bearcat 12-09-2013 10:23 AM

I think Rain Man said it best...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...&postcount=322

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10059602)
I don't actually believe that NFL games or seasons are rigged. As you say, it's too hard to do. "Hey, Vinatieri, we're going to need you to make a 48-yard field goal in the snow next week."

I do think that there are "league favorites" among the media, and that can subtly influence league management and officiating. Who was the player that Goodell urged to sign with a New York team a few years ago? And no ref wants to be the guy who didn't protect Peyton Manning or Tom Brady from a hit.

I also think that the league management roots for certain teams for marketing purposes. It gets a lot more coverage when John Elway wins a Super Bowl than Chris Chandler, so it means more dollars for the league. That's why the league picks occasional guys to market heavily (e.g., Elway, Eli Manning) even when their performance doesn't warrant that level of coverage. Does that mean the league cheats? Probably not, emphasis on probably.

My deepest conspiracy theory is that the refs could have orders to keep some games close and "give Peyton a chance to win it in the end" for marketing purposes, but I'd be hard-pressed to provide proof that it actually happens.

Reerun_KC 12-09-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

NOPE

In 2007 a Jets season ticket holder sued the NFL for $185 million and the case reached the US Supreme Court. The Jets fan argued that, all Jets fans are entitled to refunds because they paid for a ticket to a legitimate sporting event. Had he been aware that the games were not real then we would not have gone.

The Judge stated that a ticket to a game only provides you access to the stadium. The fan entered the stadium, witnessed a game, therefore he did not suffer any damages. The fan's lawyer disagreed and argued that the NFL committed consumer fraud.

Exactly why the NFL is heading down the XFL/WWE road map.

ILChief 12-09-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

NOPE

I think he sued the patriots and not the nfl. I believe it had to do with spygate

cosmo20002 12-09-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

NOPE

False. The case was not heard by the Supreme Court and no judge ruled that fixing a game was legal.

Reerun_KC 12-09-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10263071)
You mean like when they played the Steelers, and the referees were doing everything they could to help the Steelers besides wearing black and yellow?

They did everything they could to help "the ballsack rester" win his a superbowl...

I am sure Seattle has a different opinion of the garbage that went on during that superbowl...

Halfcan 12-09-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10263012)
Fwiw, Denver is one of the most penalized team in the league. So there's that...
Posted via Mobile Device

But when are those penalties called? Are they drive killers that take points off the board-no. Their Oline blatantly holds every play and also they run the illegal pick plays- The NFl want to see pizza boy in the SB and will do whatever it takes to make it happen.

Eleazar 12-09-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10263082)
False. The case was not heard by the Supreme Court and no judge ruled that fixing a game was legal.

That link is basically just to a post on a discussion forum.

cosmo20002 12-09-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10263089)
That link is basically just to a post on a discussion forum.

It wasn't my link.

His statement about the lawsuit is incorrect though.