ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs adding wifi network at Arrowhead (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276151)

DaFace 09-12-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9965346)
I thought wifi needed a cellular connection (in this case):hmmm:
quite possible i'm looking at it from the wrong angle

Nope, it's just like your in-home wireless router that connects you to a broadband internet connection. They just have 600 of them.

Of course, who knows how fast the backend connection will be. It's entirely possible that it'll still be slow as hell once 30k people start using it.

Dayze 09-12-2013 08:01 AM

ah. ok yeah. Yeah I was looking at it in terms of back-haul for it.

penguinz 09-12-2013 08:04 AM

App makes you sign in with facebook. Stupid.

SLAG 09-12-2013 08:18 AM

The wifi - was okay - on the last preseason game - there were some periods where it got really hammered but it was better than nothing

Bearcat 09-12-2013 08:21 AM

Probably a few years behind the times, but that's pretty awesome... especially being able to watch RedZone and finally being able to use my phone during commercials and halftime.

For anyone going to the home opener though, you should probably have low expectations... it's tough to rollout something like that and not be able to test with 80,000 people on the network until it's gameday (unless the wifi was available during the preseason, which would have been a good chance to test it).

Fish 09-12-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9965333)
That doesn't sound right at all unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. They added "600 access points" which is clearly wifi rather than any kind of cell connection.

I think he got confused by the info they released. In addition to all the wifi access points, the Chiefs also installed several cellular data booster/repeaters to improve cellular access in the stadium. So they actually did both....

I still question whether they'll have the bandwidth for this to work on actual gameday though...

DaFace 09-12-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9965417)
I think he got confused by the info they released. In addition to all the wifi access points, the Chiefs also installed several cellular data booster/repeaters to improve cellular access in the stadium. So they actually did both....

I still question whether they'll have the bandwidth for this to work on actual gameday though...

Yeah, I'll be curious to hear the reports. That's a shit ton of burst bandwidth to deal with.

ChiTown 09-12-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9965043)
And only 5+ years after pretty much every other business had Wi-Fi available. You've caught up to McDonalds and Panera! :clap:

No shit, Welcome to the Past!

mikeyis4dcats. 09-12-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9965321)
Translation:

We've seen the soccer team, that used to be the nobodys next door, receive world wide acclaim for their world class fan experience which included WIFI from day one. We quietly consulted with them on how it's done and now we are presenting this as a revolutionary idea for Chiefs fans.

:doh!:

WIFI for 80k > Wifi for 18k

Bearcat 09-12-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9965321)
Translation:

We've seen the soccer team, that used to be the nobodys next door, receive world wide acclaim for their world class fan experience which included WIFI from day one. We quietly consulted with them on how it's done and now we are presenting this as a revolutionary idea for Chiefs fans.

:doh!:

Well, Sporting is owned by IT people, so including perks like that will be natural to them... plus they need to have more focus on attracting fans and creating their brand.

The Chiefs (and NFL), OTOH, can afford to ignore declining attendance for 5+ years, because all they have to do in order to keep 10s of thousands of fans coming back is fire their HC and/or GM every few years.

memyselfI 09-12-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9965486)
WIFI for 80k > Wifi for 18k

Steps to start any journey or project. One.

That is why teams and stadiums of various sizes have visited Sporting Park to see how they did it and figure out how to START.

memyselfI 09-12-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9965521)
Well, Sporting is owned by IT people, so including perks like that will be natural to them... plus they need to have more focus on attracting fans and creating their brand.

The Chiefs (and NFL), OTOH, can afford to ignore declining attendance for 5+ years, because all they have to do in order to keep 10s of thousands of fans coming back is fire their HC and/or GM every few years.

Not to mention that Sporting is owned by 40 somethings who live within the community and are trying to appeal to an average season ticket holder age of 28 vs. the Chiefs which was close to 45.

Titty Meat 09-12-2013 09:27 AM

Nobody cares about Sporting

Lzen 09-12-2013 10:08 AM

Yes, the Chiefs are behind the times on this and I cussed them a few times in the past for not being able to get data access on my phone in the stadium. But I'm just glad they are finally addressing this issue.

cosmo20002 09-12-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9965336)
This may help keep stadiums full. Now, about waiting in line to pee.......................

...and the concession lines. I have never been to any other stadium or large arena in this city or in the country with concession lines as slow as Arrowhead. Every transaction just takes an eternity.