ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Does anyone here fly? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274589)

CoMoChief 07-17-2013 04:59 PM

I have close to 30 hrs of flying under my belt but lessons are expensive and I was doing sports etc in HS and just didn't have time or money with working in the summer, and I haven't done it again ever since. It's a lot of fun though....wish I kept with it. Maybe someday I'll continue to try and get my privates license.

FD 07-17-2013 05:11 PM

I got my license on HS and seriously considered doing it as a career, with an inclination towards joining the military. When I heard how hard it is to get pilot positions in the services I backed off of it. I would love to take it up again just as a hobby but its too expensive to do regularly, especially post 9/11 and with such high fuel costs.

notorious 07-17-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9818069)
Question:

I've always had a theory that some people can 'pilot' stuff in general and some just can't. For instance, I'm pretty comfortable operating just about anything that has a seat. I've loved waverunners/jetskis since I was 8. I could drive our boat by 13. I'm a pretty good motorcycle rider (first time I ever rode one was the one I bought brand new) and hell, I've even spent summers on Kobotas and John Deeres.

Some people just have a natural inclination towards operating vehicles and I felt that was why I took to most piloting stuff pretty easily (my instructor was comfortable enough to have me take-off and do the basic maneuvers on my 2nd time in the plane and first time in the front seat).

So where I ended with was "if you can ride a motorcycle, you can fly a plane".

You buy it? Do you think there's a set of universal skills as an vehicle operator that makes one a decent pilot? Or do you think someone can be a poor driver but a good pilot?

Raw skills is all hand-eye coordination. Almost all of my teenage to 25 year old students could land the plane on their own in 1 or 2 lessons.

Teaching old people how to land was truly a test of my patience.

notorious 07-17-2013 05:41 PM

Oh, if anyone is looking at going career, just know that the pay and hours suck until you are flying a big airliner, and even then it's not anything to go crazy over.

Discuss Thrower 07-17-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9818119)
Oh, if anyone is looking at going career, just know that the pay and hours suck until you are flying a big airliner, and even then it's not anything to go crazy over.

Know any instructors in the Springfield area

notorious 07-17-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9818125)
Know any instructors in the Springfield area

Sorry.

All of my instructor buddies have moved on to bigger and better things. Most of them were in Tulsa at Spartan.

Sorter 07-17-2013 06:13 PM

Also, why fly when you can teleport?