ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Question about Thai Food (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274417)

Buck 07-10-2013 08:27 AM

For the record, my 3 times were at 3 different restaurants. I'll ask for Thai spicy next time.

I want to branch out, but Pad Thai is so good.

Bearcat 07-10-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9802781)
that's where I go. I just ate there yesterday. I usually get the pad thai dish that is served in the giant egg crepe, and then a second order for $1 for my wife. I get it "hot", and it's about a 7 out of 10 for me, and I love spicy food. I sometimes have to add a few squirt lines of siracha still, but Tasty Thai is good stuff.

The food is good and fairly authentic compared to other Thai places I've tried... just wasn't impressed by the 'Thai hot', but I've built up quite a bit of tolerance. And you can't beat the second lunch for a buck. Their Thai iced coffee is really good, too, and it's a good choice with really spicy food.

Frazod 07-10-2013 08:47 AM

Mmmmmm, now I want Thai for lunch.

As for the really spicy stuff, as I've gotten older, I still like it, but it doesn't like me. I don't order it really hot anymore. Not a fan of the screaming flamethrower shits that come later. :eek:

kepp 07-10-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 9802625)
yeah they're giving you the white-boy scale of spiciness.

oh, and Papaya Salad is habit-forming! anyone else like it?

I've only had it one time...at a resort in Thailand. I was able to take two bites before my eyes were watering and my ears were sweating. And I didn't even order it spicy. I think the staff saw a farang and decided to have some fun.

kepp 07-10-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9802697)
I eat Phad Thai almost exclusively. One of my favorite foods on Earth. **** the star system. Tell them you want it THAI spicy and they'll know what the **** you're talking about, and it will be perfect. I like my Thai hotter than my women, so I'm picking up what you're laying down. If the place is authentic Thai, trust me, just say you want it Thai spicy.

Dude, you need to branch out...you're missing some great food. Thai curries are awesome, and if you're ever in a Thai place that has access to good, fresh seafood, order some soft shell crab curry. And get mango & sticky rice for dessert.

Demonpenz 07-10-2013 09:02 AM

Order it Junior Seau....prepared to be blown away.

Consistent1 07-10-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 9802625)
yeah they're giving you the white-boy scale of spiciness.

oh, and Papaya Salad is habit-forming! anyone else like it?

My god Thai food at high levels is awesome. Sinuses clear for a week.

BlackHelicopters 07-10-2013 09:38 AM

A Thai Hot Karl should work

R8RFAN 07-10-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9802663)
That soup is good.. I prefer mine without so much coconut, which I think has another Thai name I don't remember right now. Otherwise, I think it is pretty much the same spices.

For me it's waking up at 4 am with digestional uncomfort.. that goes on and on... It is sad to have to reduce one's normal heat amount by a level or two.

Even a good amount of Jalapenos can do it to me now. Damn getting old(er).

Take a Zantac before you eat it.... No problems

mikeyis4dcats. 07-10-2013 09:53 AM

every Thai place I've been to you have the following options

Mild (+)
Medium (+)
Hot (+)
Thai Hot

(+) meaning you want it a little hotter than Mild/Medium/Hot, but not to the next step

Pad Thai is the California Roll of Thai food.

Dayze 07-10-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9802611)

LMAO

Dayze 07-10-2013 09:55 AM

I think it varies from place to place.
One place I go, a '5' (or medium) is ****ing super hot. Good, but hot. I LOVE spicy food.

Other places, I've asked for Hot and it comes out with hardly any kick.

Once I found a place I really liked, I stick with them so I know what to expect.

NewChief 07-10-2013 09:59 AM

As for branching out from the Pad Thai:

Tom Ka Tofu (or Tom Ka Gai if you want chicken) is awesome shit. Seriously. It's like the best soup flavor combination in existence. It's also usually one of the best values on the menu, as it's usually priced like an appetizer but can easily be eaten as an entree with rice.

If you really like the flavor of Pad Thai and want to branch out a bit with a few more vegetables: Pad See Eeu.

All curries are awesome and worth trying: red, green, massaman, panang.

Chief_For_Life58 07-10-2013 10:11 AM

there are thai people in san diego?

DaKCMan AP 07-10-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9802804)
For the record, my 3 times were at 3 different restaurants. I'll ask for Thai spicy next time.

I want to branch out, but Pad Thai is so good.

Thai Hot. "Thai Spicy" just sounds stupid. Don't allow the restaurant people think you're stupid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9802920)
As for branching out from the Pad Thai:

Tom Ka Tofu (or Tom Ka Gai if you want chicken) is awesome shit. Seriously. It's like the best soup flavor combination in existence. It's also usually one of the best values on the menu, as it's usually priced like an appetizer but can easily be eaten as an entree with rice.

If you really like the flavor of Pad Thai and want to branch out a bit with a few more vegetables: Pad See Eeu.

All curries are awesome and worth trying: red, green, massaman, panang.

+10