ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs ****Official Let's Break Down Sutton's Defense Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271564)

ShowtimeSBMVP 03-28-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9537055)
He is the DC. Try to keep up.

He was only the Jets DC from 2006 -2008 go back and see what the fans think of him

The Bad Guy 03-28-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9537044)
Not all of them.

In fact I would say the majority of them think "LOL, Alex Smith"

I love how you think a message board is a majority.

chiefzilla1501 03-28-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9537055)
He is the DC. Try to keep up.

He was the LBs coach in NY. I really don't care if they're upset about how he did in a defense under Mangini he wasn't allowed to run.

Sorter 03-28-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9537064)
What were you planning on doing with him?

Secrets mon frere, secrets.

keg in kc 03-28-2013 09:45 PM

I have an admittedly weird view on coordinators. I think a bad coordinator can have a markedly greater impact on a talented team than a good one can have on a bad one. As in I think it's easier to drag down talent then it is to coach it up. I do think good coordinators can make good teams great, and obviously bad coordinators can make already bad teams into the Chiefs of the last decade.

To me great defense (or offense, for that matter) is about 3 things, and they're all interconnected:

1) your personnel guys and coaches have to find talented players that fit what they want to do
2) your coaches have to convince those talented players to buy into the system and operate/excel as a unit
3) your coordinator has to be able to be able to call the right shit on gameday

The only time I've seen a unit, or a coordinator, here in KC succeed at all three of those phases was 2002-2004 under Al Saunders. They've pretty much flopped on both sides of the ball the rest of the time. And they've usually combined bad players who don't work well together with incompetent coordinators.

RealSNR 03-28-2013 09:46 PM

One of these days my Bob Newhart joke is going to be a huge hit. Just ya'll wait and see.

The Bad Guy 03-28-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9536867)
I'm sure it will suck. Jets fans loathe him.

And Chiefs fans ripped the hire of an offensive assistant.

Using any message board as the pulse of anything is ****ing stupid.

Mangini ran the shots. Why would Rex Ryan keep around a guy who primarily ran zone coverage and bend don't break shit with his attacking style of defense?

Because it was Mangini's baby.

Sorter 03-28-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9537067)
My friend is a beat writer for the Jets and he insisted from the people he's talked to connected to Sutton that Sutton is running a 1-gap defense in KC.

He will mix it up with various other fronts, but the primary defense is going to be a 3-4 attacking 1 gap defense.

Nom nom nom.

chiefzilla1501 03-28-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9537067)
My friend is a beat writer for the Jets and he insisted from the people he's talked to connected to Sutton that Sutton is running a 1-gap defense in KC.

He will mix it up with various other fronts, but the primary defense is going to be a 3-4 attacking 1 gap defense.

That's interesting. I could see that, though the DeVito signing makes me think they will run Ryan's defense. Which is attacking and it's not pure 2-gap (as they'd only have one guy running 2-gap). What I feel very, very confident about is it will be NOTHING like what he ran from 2006-2008.

The Bad Guy 03-28-2013 09:47 PM

I tried to watch a lot of DeVito clips. He ****ing mauled Marshawn Lynch on one play.

We really needed a dominant run stopper. I know it was overpaying, but this team was ****ing terrible against the run.

Sorter 03-28-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9537098)
And Chiefs fans ripped the hire of an offensive assistant.

Using any message board as the pulse of anything is ****ing stupid.

Mangini ran the shots. Why would Rex Ryan keep around a guy who primarily ran zone coverage and bend don't break shit with his attacking style of defense?

Because it was Mangini's baby.

I'd like to chart (or preferably steal these stats from someone) how often the Jets ran man coverage on 1st and 2nd down with Mangini in comparison to Rex.

A trademark of the Belichick/Saban/Romeo philosophies is to primarily utilize ZC on 1st/2nd and press man on 3rd.

Sorter 06-01-2013 01:09 AM

Any updates with this?

I haven't been able to but I do have some free time coming up over the next few weeks and can probably add to the OP. Will probably do a format similar to the Andy Reid article I posted. Might make it more in-depth but that might apply to Chargers, Donks, Raiders, Colts(Peyton) matchups.