ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Excerpts from Marty Schottenheimer's book (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270623)

mikey23545 03-02-2013 09:53 AM

I am definitely down for a copy of this book...I hadn't even heard of it, but now I will definitely head right out to buy it.

I think Marty was definitely a super-class man. He had flaws just like any human being does, but he was a first rate coach and motivator.

Nzoner 03-02-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 9456663)
Was that the game where Elway scored the go-ahead TD like 3 times but it kept being called back?

Not just Elway,he threw a td pass first that was called back because the receiver had stepped out of bounds,then there was a penalty for as i recall illegal formation and then he finally ran in it.

I was personally at that game sitting with 200 other KC fans and after Elway ran that go ahead td in the Bronco fans were ruthless but we all know who got the last laugh.

XXXshogunXXX 03-02-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9456671)
I think Marty being our favorite head coach (at least for the somewhat younger crowd) is the one thing Chiefs and Chargers fans have in common.

He's a great coach and he's awfully nice in person. I met him one at Seau's restaurant (he was leaving as I was arriving). I was probably 18. He stopped and had a nice little conversation with me.

Great guy. Wish we never got rid of him.

Id have to go Bobby Ross over Marty, for Charger fans anyway.

ChiefMojo 03-02-2013 12:24 PM

Marty had his warts of course when it came to being conservative on the coaching front but he was by far my most favorite Chiefs coach. I wasn't alive for Stram. Championships or not, Marty made Kansas City Chiefs football something special. Just the environment was second to none.

New World Order 03-02-2013 12:35 PM

We need more excerpts from Marty's book.

DTLB58 03-02-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9456687)
I am definitely down for a copy of this book...I hadn't even heard of it, but now I will definitely head right out to buy it.

I think Marty was definitely a super-class man. He had flaws just like any human being does, but he was a first rate coach and motivator.

It was a very quick read. I got the kindle version for my iPad for $7.68 Probably about what it's worth. I couldn't believe this thing went through a publisher at least 20 typographical errors in it.

That being said, even the hardcore Chiefs fan will learn some stuff on Marty and the Chiefs but not a lot. The author fast forwards through several segments in time with a paragraph or two when that's when you wish he would have spent a whole chapter.

PaulAllen 03-02-2013 12:41 PM

Is there a chapter dedicated to evaluating skank waitresses and where are the best ones? Shoneys? Waffle House?

crazycoffey 03-02-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 9456649)
You'd have to think this one is either it or damned close to it.

Damn I got goosebumps watching that.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gViWWDWsg6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man, joe was only good because he had a good run game and a defense. See all those short check down passes.

seaofred 03-02-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9455183)
This is one of the best football books you'll read. It's truly fascinating.

More to come.

What is the name of the book?

Ebolapox 03-02-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 9456975)
It was a very quick read. I got the kindle version for my iPad for $7.68 Probably about what it's worth. I couldn't believe this thing went through a publisher at least 20 typographical errors in it.

you DO realize that the editing process and/or publishing process for eBooks is completely different than it is for print books, yes? they catch a LOT fewer errors. you can't blame that on the print publisher, that's shoddy transcription on the company that did the eBook (I know this as I've rarely come across an eBook that didn't have a lot of typos and/or other errors)

gblowfish 03-02-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXXshogunXXX (Post 9456920)
Id have to go Bobby Ross over Marty, for Charger fans anyway.

Sid Gillman or Don Coryell would be the best all time SD Coach.
Bobby Ross isn't even in the conversation.

Hammock Parties 03-02-2013 02:23 PM

Oh man, here's a cool story.

Everyone knows about Marty's midnight rule. You move on to the next game by midnight following the last one.

Well, his wife invented it.

Brian was sitting in the car whining about HS game that he had lost and Pat got tired of it and told him he was going to shut up about it by midnight, or else.

Then she told Marty and he was like "Hey, this is cool, I'll use this with my professional football team called the Chiefs."

So holy shit man.

Hammock Parties 03-15-2013 05:15 PM

I am about to post some more but here is a good one:

Marty went to see Derrick Thomas at the hospital several times when he was trying to recover. He would go with him to therapy every time. On the drive home he would break down crying every time.

philfree 03-15-2013 05:17 PM

He said **** the donks anytime you get a chance! Sign Dumervil!

Chiefnj2 03-15-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9502909)
I am about to post some more but here is a good one:

Marty went to see Derrick Thomas at the hospital several times when he was trying to recover. He would go with him to therapy every time. On the drive home he would break down crying every time.

Watching Marty at DT's HOF induction was moving. He clearly loved the kid.