ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs [KC taking a QB #1] "I say absolutely no chance of that happening." -Mel Kiper (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269805)

Hootie 02-07-2013 07:08 PM

I'm not a scout, college football generally bores me (every big game is a letdown), and I don't make my own draft board like Mecca...but a few years ago when Cam Newton was a "mid round prospect" I was like, "uhm, that dude is going #1 overall."

eventually everyone caught on...I'm not saying I'm a genious, far from it...it's just that...

WE ALL KNOW 3-5 QB'S ARE GOING IN THE TOP 15. WHO CARES ABOUT WHAT MEL KIPER IS SPOUTING OFF ABOUT IN FEBRUARY?

Means NOTHING.

Dayze 02-07-2013 07:08 PM

We should bookmark his dumbass mocks, for the post draft hilarity

Hootie 02-07-2013 07:10 PM

the Internet has pretty much made him 100% irrelevant.

There are probably about 2 or 3 good "mock drafters"...everyone else is about at Kiper level.

Don't know shit until teams start leaking information.

Hootie 02-07-2013 07:11 PM

everyone else just cherry picks off of everyone else and wa la!!! Mock draft.

you lock Mecca or SNR or myself in a room with nothing but film, combine results, etc...and our 7 round mock would be HORRIBLE.

warpaint* 02-07-2013 07:13 PM

There is a long way to go. I won't start to worry until the combine and most of these top QBs pro days come and go. I think they're going to find a QB they like and probably end up taking him high. I wouldn't say I'm 100% certain but occams razor tells me 2-14 teams w/ Arena League QBs usually end up drafting new ones to kick off regimes and rebuilds. It would be quite an anomaly for there to be no 1r grade QBs. And by high I don't necessarily mean first overall although that is what I prefer. Perhaps they take someone else 1st then trade back into 1r for the guy they like bc they know he'll still be there. What I cannot fathom is that they do not address the situation at all w/ a 1r grade solution/selection. That would be colossally stupid.

Hootie 02-07-2013 07:15 PM

the only thing that worries me is Andy likes to find QB's in the 2nd or 3rd round...or so his trend has went for some time.

Now he always had a guy while he was developing these guys (McNabb, Vick with Foles)...

but I really hope we don't go the 'draft BPA #1' and then a QB #2.

Just take ****ing Geno. It's really simple. If he busts I forgive them.

keg in kc 02-07-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9385897)
“JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team — on the practice field, in that locker room. Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that’s certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. …You’re talking about a 2-3 year period once he’s under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like.”
– ESPN’s Mel Kiper

You can find the clip on youtube of his comments during the draft broadcast about how risky a pick Cam Newton was.

He's still in the old mindset that drafting a QB who's a bust will cripple a franchse for a decade.

He's also probably not wrong about the Chiefs not taking one. We all want one, but history says they won't do it.

warpaint* 02-07-2013 07:17 PM

Meh he took McNabb what 2nd overall? Really I look at what you said as a + bc even after he finds a guy he doesn't ignore the position moving forward.

keg in kc 02-07-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9385929)
the only thing that worries me is Andy likes to find QB's in the 2nd or 3rd round...or so his trend has went for some time.

Now he always had a guy while he was developing these guys (McNabb, Vick with Foles)...

but I really hope we don't go the 'draft BPA #1' and then a QB #2.

Just take ****ing Geno. It's really simple. If he busts I forgive them.

It is simple, they'll trade for Smith and then get somebody else in the 2nd or later. Be prepared for that. It's the "safe" move. If you can call leaving your franchise in the hands of castoffs, has-been's and never were's for 30 years "safe" in any way.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-07-2013 07:19 PM

I'll see him at Mike Williams' HOF induction.

58kcfan89 02-07-2013 07:20 PM

I believe it was Clausen's draft when Kiper was having one of his bitch fits with McShay when Kiper said something along the lines of "If, in 3 years, Bradford has a better career than Clausen, I will quit my job". I was hoping someone would hold him to that.

Part of me wants Geno to suck at his pro day & totally whiff on the combine interviews so these morons will look even dumber after we take him at #1 despite their claims to the contrary. The other/larger part of me wants him to totally destroy everything in his path so our fanbase can be united around #12.

warpaint* 02-07-2013 07:21 PM

This regime has no history here. Reid's history says he is willing to draft a QB high. And that was when 2nd overall QBs were still getting overpaid out of the gate.

Hootie 02-07-2013 07:31 PM

what was McNabb's 40 time out of Syracuse? 4.6ish? 4.5?

I can't wait to see Geno run...McNabb was a scrambler early on who certainly developed into a pocket passer...I remember having him in fantasy his 2nd year and he used to pwn for me in rushing yards...

Geno is probably a more advanced passer than McNabb at this stage of his career.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-07-2013 07:32 PM

Mock drafts are the sports section's horoscopes.

Chris Meck 02-07-2013 07:34 PM

I'm telling you guys, on draft day, Kiper's gonna look like Karl Rove on election night. He's gonna shit himself on national TV.

It's gonna be a QB, and it's probably gonna be Geno.