ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Ft Riley? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269118)

trndobrd 01-20-2013 05:14 PM

Motorcycles in summer and snowmobile in winter = Ft. Carson, CO

Dayze 01-20-2013 05:15 PM

Alaska is bad ass.

JoeyChuckles 01-20-2013 05:16 PM

Let's reevaluate here. You're trying to decide between Kansas and Hawaii.

Don't over-think it.

guitarmy21b 01-20-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyChuckles (Post 9336586)
Let's reevaluate here. You're trying to decide between Kansas and Hawaii.

Don't over-think it.

Well it would be a no brainer if I was trying to decide where to take a vacation, not where to live for the next several years. I'm a country boy.

Frazod 01-20-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarmy21b (Post 9336620)
Well it would be a no brainer if I was trying to decide where to take a vacation, not where to live for the next several years. I'm a country boy.

Are you enlisted? Low rank? If so, the cost of living will be brutal for you in Hawaii.

But still, it's Hawaii. If you're single, go for it.

Rain Man 01-20-2013 05:24 PM

It appears that other people have already covered this, but if you can go anywhere and you choose eastern Kansas, you should be court-martialed and shot.

Hawaii, Europe, check out the Far East. Jeez, how about San Diego if there's a base there?

I'd probably pick Kansas over Afghanistan, but only after I spent a week in Afghanistan to check it out.

Rain Man 01-20-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9336577)
Alaska is bad ass.

This is indeed true.

And Fort Carson is near a bunch of nice stuff, even if Colorado Springs itself is kind of meh.

guitarmy21b 01-20-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9336638)
Are you enlisted? Low rank? If so, the cost of living will be brutal for you in Hawaii.

But still, it's Hawaii. If you're single, go for it.

Married E-4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9336641)
It appears that other people have already covered this, but if you can go anywhere and you choose eastern Kansas, you should be court-martialed and shot.

Hawaii, Europe, check out the Far East. Jeez, how about San Diego if there's a base there?

I'd probably pick Kansas over Afghanistan, but only after I spent a week in Afghanistan to check it out.

Well to be fair, I enjoyed Afghanistan a lot more than Texas

Frazod 01-20-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarmy21b (Post 9336668)
Married E-4

Well to be fair, I enjoyed Afghanistan a lot more than Texas

Well, scratch Hawaii off your list. Think about your family.

Raiderhater 01-20-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 9336078)
"Cooped up" on an island?

I know, right?

FlaChief58 01-20-2013 05:58 PM

My Dad was stationed in Ft Riley, retired there then did 20 more years civil svc there. We lived in junction city for a few years in the mid 70's. It was a shit hole even then. If you're going there, keep to the Manhattan side of the fort

Oh, and dont speed through Ogden

dtebbe 01-20-2013 09:15 PM

I agree about Ft. Carson. The front range is a nice place to live if you like anything outdoors (but especially skiing). I went to AIT with a few guys from Ft. Carson and they all really liked it.

DT

Marcellus 01-20-2013 09:27 PM

Go to Hawaii dumbass you can go to Kansas anytime you like later.

Don't listen to the BS. Go see and do shit. Take your wife with you.

It's not rocket science. You have a situation you can afford, even if poor, to go live in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I've been there. Do it.

Move to Kansas later and talk about it.

Ace Gunner 01-20-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorp (Post 9336081)
Fort Riley????? Major shithole. Lots of drugs there though to make living there bearable.

:)

DaneMcCloud 01-20-2013 10:04 PM

Dude, wow. I don't know what E-4 means because I was never in the Armed Forces but yeah, go to Hawaii!

Even if you "break even" in terms of salary to cost of living, go for the experience! Learn to surf, boogie board and scuba dive. Go out deep sea fishing with friends, take short trips over to the other islands to check them out. Go hiking up mountains, bicycle around volcanoes and just enjoy the scenery!

Even if it means breaking even for a while, it sounds like you'll be able to change locations in a matter of years, so explore and enjoy life!

Best of luck!

PS - Fort Riley and its surroundings are shitholes, nothing the Arrowhead experience would or could erase.