ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The KC Star website now requires a paid membership (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268425)

alnorth 01-03-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 9276372)
Didn't' work. Cleared cookies and still got the banner after about 5 seconds.

Here's Mellinger responding to someone who was bitching about it on Twitter.

Sam Mellinger ‏@mellinger

@Jwoody87 @KCStar there's a lot of money and effort put into the product. Should be OK to charge a small fee for that.

Pay for it, you cheap F'ing bastard.

You wont hear us sympathize about how its so hard to rob the corner store. You can get national news for free? Big woop, no one cares, it costs money to get you local news, if you dont wanna pay for it, then why do you expect to get it?

chiefzilla1501 01-03-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9277280)

You wont hear us sympathize about how its so hard to rob the corner store. You can get national news for free? Big woop, no one cares, it costs money to get you local news, if you dont wanna pay for it, then why do you expect to get it?

This. I've made it a point to not get on people's case about it. But I've actually been called out a few times because I post a link, but refuse to copy/cut/paste the article into a thread. It drives me a little bit nuts.

I dont' complain about it because I know I'm guilty of it too. But I don't know what kind of ridiculous people think we live in where a company like the KC Star is going to operate by giving everything away from free. Especially in today's world, where people know that banner advertising is not overly effective.

kcxiv 01-03-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 9276286)
They open, but after about 5 seconds a Press+ membership banner covers the article so that you can't read it.

install ad block, works like a champ for tons of websites.

JohnnyHammersticks 01-03-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9277280)

And if I pay for it? I'm still going to have to sift through tons of annoying popup ads that somehow bypass my popup blocker. That's what all the ads are for, so they don't have to charge readers for content. If they're not profiting from ad revenue alone, then here's a thought--don't let all your good ****ing writers walk. No offense intended to Sam Mellinger.

JohnnyHammersticks 01-03-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9277390)
install ad block, works like a champ for tons of websites.

This was bypassing my ad blocker, but I switched to private browsing and that took care of it. So I guess only people who can't Google a solution have to pay--kind of like a stupid person tax, which I have no problem with. They would've just spent that money on lottery tickets and 99-cent cheeseburgers anyway.

kcxiv 01-03-2013 10:12 PM

hmm. i just read an article on there using google chrome and ad block and have had no issues.

There is also a setting within ad block that blocks everything, but you have to manually set it or some ad's will get through.

alnorth 01-03-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 9277395)
And if I pay for it? I'm still going to have to sift through tons of annoying popup ads that somehow bypass my popup blocker. That's what all the ads are for, so they don't have to charge readers for content. If they're not profiting from ad revenue alone, then here's a thought--don't let all your good ****ing writers walk. No offense intended to Sam Mellinger.

internet ads aren't worth a damn, you idiot. You proved it yourself by describing the lengths you go through to avoid seeing them.

alnorth 01-03-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9277423)
hmm. i just read an article on there using google chrome and ad block and have had no issues.

There is also a setting within ad block that blocks everything, but you have to manually set it or some ad's will get through.

eventually they will fix that, too. Then all of you cheap, utterly immoral thieves will be forced to pay.

JohnnyHammersticks 01-03-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9277489)
internet ads aren't worth a damn, you idiot. You proved it yourself by describing the lengths you go through to avoid seeing them.

When someone who could presumably live in any state in the country and chooses to live in Iowa calls you an idiot--it really stings, let me tell you.

DaFace 01-03-2013 10:37 PM

Newspapers are barely staying afloat these days. I don't blame them for trying to monetize their content more effectively.

alnorth 01-03-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 9277575)
When someone who could presumably live in any state in the country and chooses to live in Iowa calls you an idiot--it really stings, let me tell you.

whether it stings or not, the fact remains, you... ARE... reeruned

|Zach| 01-03-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 9277395)

So you are saying...

I won't give you any money!

AND

Spend a bunch of money for better writers!!

Am I right?

TribalElder 01-04-2013 12:41 AM

**** the star I scroll down and read past the ad pop up to login. Then I hit kshb.com

BIG_DADDY 01-04-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9277992)
So you are saying...

I won't give you any money!

AND

Spend a bunch of money for better writers!!

Am I right?

Personally I think most of the media should be forced to shoot themself in the face but maybe it's just me.

clyde05 01-04-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9276351)
No problem yet on iPad.

This