ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Bluejays got RA Dickey (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267762)

The Bad Guy 12-17-2012 04:39 PM

As a Mets fan, I'm happy with the return.

Mets needed a future catcher in the worst way and the pitcher is supposed to be a high ceiling #2 type player.

It's a good haul for a 38 year old.

Prison Bitch 12-17-2012 05:42 PM

The Jays trade gets better reviews because people think they're in a better position to win than the Royals are, given the trade with Florida last month.

KC_Connection 12-17-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9218952)
As a Mets fan, I'm happy with the return.

Mets needed a future catcher in the worst way and the pitcher is supposed to be a high ceiling #2 type player.

It's a good haul for a 38 year old.

No question it's a great deal for the Mets. They weren't winning any time soon with Dickey. It's the perfect time for the Jays to make a move like this, though.

Rugby Thompson 12-17-2012 06:13 PM

Not like the jays are gonna do anything, the fanbase here in toronto sucks.

KC_Connection 12-17-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugby Thompson (Post 9219193)
Not like the jays are gonna do anything, the fanbase here in toronto sucks.

Actually, the fanbase in Toronto is a sleeping giant. If they win (which they haven't done in 20 years), there's no reason to think it couldn't be like it was 20 years ago when they were setting attendance records and spending huge money.

BlackHelicopters 12-17-2012 06:19 PM

The Blue Jays are spending a ton of money to finish in fourth place in the AL East.

Rugby Thompson 12-17-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9219194)
Actually, the fanbase in Toronto is a sleeping giant. If they win (which they haven't done in 20 years), there's no reason to think it couldn't be like it was 20 years ago when they were setting attendance records and spending huge money.

I live here, I know how it is. We get attendance the home opener then every one hops off, no one is dedicated to this team because everyone is too focused on hockey.

Toronto is a horrible place to play pro sports

Rugby Thompson 12-17-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9219194)

I live here, I know how it is. We get attendance the home opener then every one hops off, no one is dedicated to this team because everyone is too focused on hockey.

Toronto is a horrible place to play pro sports

The Bad Guy 12-17-2012 07:03 PM

Toronto is absolutely without question the most talented team in that division.

duncan_idaho 12-17-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9219208)
The Blue Jays are spending a ton of money to finish in fourth place in the AL East.

The Jays will likely be the prohibitive favorite to win the American League East this season.

Best pitching staff. Best offense.

MIAdragon 12-17-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9219327)
Toronto is absolutely without question the most talented team in that division.

On paper without a doubt.

KC_Connection 12-17-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugby Thompson (Post 9219254)

That's nice. I suspect I lived there longer than you have and have a better idea of the sleeping giant that is the Blue Jays fanbase than you (they get better television numbers than any organization in baseball despite not having a playoff team in 20 years).

KC_Connection 12-17-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9219329)
The Jays will likely be the prohibitive favorite to win the American League East this season.

Best pitching staff. Best offense.

I agree. On paper, they're the best team now in the division. I probably wouldn't have said that before this deal (still NYY perhaps), but this pushes them over the top. I've been asking for these kind of moves and this kind of effort to win for over a decade now and it's finally happening.

Also Anthopoulos said this at the conference call tonight...sounds like it's his plan to extend him as I figured.

Mike Cormack @MikeCormack
#bluejays GM Anthopoulos: "Hopefully a guy like Josh Johnson can be part of (a multi-year run) that too going forward."

Shox 12-17-2012 09:23 PM

Dickey just had his career year. He will never reproduce the year he had in 2012.

Prison Bitch 12-17-2012 09:29 PM

Yankees are still better, but Toronto should win between 84-89 games if they stay healthy.