ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers TBG got me thinking--Help Me Build a Desktop (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231891)

doomy3 08-12-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 6931131)
Here's the case I got. Seems to work fine.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...240&CatId=1842

That seems to be a pretty good deal... Anyone have any input on this case?

The Bad Guy 08-12-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 6931134)
That seems to be a pretty good deal... Anyone have any input on this case?

Well, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a cheaper one. Everything seems to be in good shape with it. Not a ton of room, but you can operate inside of it.

doomy3 08-12-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 6931144)
Well, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a cheaper one. Everything seems to be in good shape with it. Not a ton of room, but you can operate inside of it.

Oh yeah, no doubt. Wasn't sure if there was a reason though to get a more expensive one like the one Dirk mentioned earlier in the thread.

The Bad Guy 08-12-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 6931154)
Oh yeah, no doubt. Wasn't sure if there was a reason though to get a more expensive one like the one Dirk mentioned earlier in the thread.

Metro told me that spending on a case is worthless. I would think that since you aren't gaming, and won't be doing any upgrading, that this case should suit your needs just fine.

Fairplay 08-12-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 6931129)
Yes, I do need a case as well.

I can't compare these things at all, so I am just looking for some advice on what is best.

Tell us what you end up going with doomy3.

doomy3 08-12-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 6931198)
Tell us what you end up going with doomy3.

Well, I'm still waiting on some more advice from some others before I decide what to do. I literally no nothing when it comes to comparing these things, so I would just be shooting in the dark at this point.

Fairplay 08-12-2010 10:05 PM

I think you already have a couple good set ups already mentioned.

How many do you need man?

doomy3 08-12-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 6931224)
I think you already have a couple good set ups already mentioned.

How many do you need man?

I'm asking which one of the setups would make more sense for me. Basically, I'm asking what the differences would be between the two setups.

Fairplay 08-12-2010 10:55 PM

Oh, i can help you then, get my trusty calculator out and then........

TBG's Setup

Grand Total: $641.93

Minus

DD's Setup

Grand Total: $491.99

= $149.94

I think that's the difference.

dirk digler 08-13-2010 07:01 AM

Doomy both are pretty equal the biggest difference is TBG has a smaller CPU but double the memory. After doing some research on that CPU I put if you were to choose that one you might want to get a bigger\powerful CPU fan or cooler because it is a beast. I read it puts out 125 watts but it is quad-core :D

Also that is one of the reasons why I chose the case. It has 3 huge fans in it.

Pants 08-13-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 6931157)
Metro told me that spending on a case is worthless. I would think that since you aren't gaming, and won't be doing any upgrading, that this case should suit your needs just fine.

Yeah, expensive cases come into play when you're looking at sufficient cooling of your machine once you start overclocking things. Also, depending on what you need, you might get a bigger case which will cost more. I hate spending money on big LED-lit cases that look cool and do stupid shit nobody cares about (like side panels you can see through, ooooooh!). I just care about what's inside, I guess.

Also, the only things that have compatibility issues are mobo's, CPUs and, to an extent, RAM. Everything else is compatible with everything else.

Did you get the new PSU yet, TBG?

The Bad Guy 08-13-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike (Post 6931737)
Yeah, expensive cases come into play when you're looking at sufficient cooling of your machine once you start overclocking things. Also, depending on what you need, you might get a bigger case which will cost more. I hate spending money on big LED-lit cases that look cool and do stupid shit nobody cares about (like side panels you can see through, ooooooh!). I just care about what's inside, I guess.

Also, the only things that have compatibility issues are mobo's, CPUs and, to an extent, RAM. Everything else is compatible with everything else.

Did you get the new PSU yet, TBG?

UPS has it on the truck. Should be here by 2.

Figures, the week I build my rig is also the week for my son's first birthday party. Nothing like wanting to play with the new toy when you have to get ready for 50 guests.

Pants 08-13-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 6931783)
UPS has it on the truck. Should be here by 2.

Figures, the week I build my rig is also the week for my son's first birthday party. Nothing like wanting to play with the new toy when you have to get ready for 50 guests.

You got a really nice processor, a shit ton of RAM (which won't even get used, lol) and a good video card. You'll be able to run pretty much whatever you want on your rig, dude.

doomy3 08-13-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike (Post 6931790)
You got a really nice processor, a shit ton of RAM (which won't even get used, lol) and a good video card. You'll be able to run pretty much whatever you want on your rig, dude.

Metrolike, can you weigh in on a build for me?

Pants 08-13-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 6931792)
Metrolike, can you weigh in on a build for me?

Which build are you talking about?