ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink ***Official CP Homebrew American IPA Collaboration Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308309)

Marcellus 06-19-2017 04:47 PM

Can we get a list of who all is going to brew and then maybe try to set a brew day weekend in mid to later July?

Ming the Merciless 06-19-2017 05:11 PM

I am definitely going to make this....but I have to wait until the heat gets a little better...We have no AC (none is needed most of the time) and temps are getting crazy hot right now..(by our standards anyway...) ..

I'll probably start on it in a week or so..Looking forward to it

I'm gonna have to do the old fashioned sugar priming method as I dont have any co2 gear and all my gear is like 15 yrs old lol

KCrockaholic 06-19-2017 06:34 PM

I've decided to alter the IBU on this a little bit and get it to 58 in honor of DT. I just think an IPA needs to be above 40 at minimum, and 58 gives me a good reason. But otherwise, everything else will be the same.

KCUnited 06-19-2017 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 12922915)
I've decided to alter the IBU on this a little bit and get it to 58 in honor of DT. I just think an IPA needs to be above 40 at minimum, and 58 gives me a good reason. But otherwise, everything else will be the same.

I like the tribute and by all means tweak the recipe as you please, just understand that IBU is a complicated calculation that is rarely accurate. Especially when you're steeping as wort temps are falling. That's why I listed it as an estimate. Also water profiles can enhance perceived bitterness independent of IBUs.

Let us know how it turns out.

KCUnited 06-19-2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 12922787)
Can we get a list of who all is going to brew and then maybe try to set a brew day weekend in mid to later July?

I can update the OP with names of who's interested in brewing. I'll probably brew early July though as I have out of town guests coming early August and want something fresh on tap for them.

KCrockaholic 06-19-2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 12922951)
I like the tribute and by all means tweak the recipe as you please, just understand that IBU is a complicated calculation that is rarely accurate. Especially when you're steeping as wort temps are falling. That's why I listed it as an estimate. Also water profiles can enhance perceived bitterness independent of IBUs.

Let us know how it turns out.

After the brew day I'll post pics and also post how I moved the hops around a little bit.

KCUnited 06-21-2017 08:31 AM

Here's a good article on IBUs and its relevance.

https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer...misconceptions

Quote:

Another west coast brewing stalwart, Stone, has a similar take on their use of IBUs in the brewing process. I spoke with Steve Gonzalez, senior manager of Small Batch Brewing & Innovation at Stone Brewing Company.

“IBUs are really interesting, but for the most part, we try not to emphasize them too much in anything consumer-facing,” said Gonzalez. “It’s not really relevant to your enjoyment of the product, and we’re constantly hearing about IBUs across the industry being used an important stat when describing beer. Stone uses IBUs as an important quality control too, like most breweries, and while the consumer certainly wants to see it, we’re not making new beers to hit a certain IBU threshold.”

Marcellus 06-21-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 12925048)
Here's a good article on IBUs and its relevance.

https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer...misconceptions

I was actually going to post that exact same article.

KCrockaholic 06-21-2017 10:59 AM

I don't know who to trust between Daniels, Garetz, Rager, and Tinseth. Why do all of their systems have such a wide discrepancy between their IBU ranges for the same formula?

I read that article, and it was good. And although beer can be whatever you want it to be, I just think 5 to 15 IBU's isn't an IPA. We want this to be an IPA, but we're taking away the classic IPA bitterness. I've literally never found an IPA with lower than 35 or so IBU's. Maybe this can be a new fad that CP has come up with, also maybe since I'm new to this, I'm overthinking it.

KCUnited 06-21-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 12925205)
I don't know who to trust between Daniels, Garetz, Rager, and Tinseth. Why do all of their systems have such a wide discrepancy between their IBU ranges for the same formula?

I read that article, and it was good. And although beer can be whatever you want it to be, I just think 5 to 15 IBU's isn't an IPA. We want this to be an IPA, but we're taking away the classic IPA bitterness. I've literally never found an IPA with lower than 35 or so IBU's. Maybe this can be a new fad that CP has come up with, also maybe since I'm new to this, I'm overthinking it.

Lower bitterness, bigger hop flavor IPAs have been trending for awhile now.

KCrockaholic 06-21-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 12925225)
Lower bitterness, bigger hop flavor IPAs have been trending for awhile now.

Yeah, in session IPAs which still typically hang around 40 IBU's which is low for the style of a regular IPA.

ClevelandBronco 06-21-2017 11:54 AM

Had to read the thread title twice. Couldn't figure out the first time why there was a beer discussion geared toward Hebrew Americans going on here.

Dartgod 06-21-2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 12925256)
Had to read the thread title twice. Couldn't figure out the first time why there was a beer discussion geared toward Hebrew Americans going on here.

http://cdn.funcheap.com/wp-content/u...enesisAle1.jpg

Marcellus 06-21-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 12925205)

The original recipe shown in the OP is actually about 48IBU, I have no idea why its showing what it is.

That being said you can get a rough estimate of IBU's being put into the beer but maltiness, attenuation, and many other factors can cover much of that bitterness or expose it.

Think about session IPA's (no real such thing) with low ABV only having about 30IBU but tasting very hoppy vs an Imperial Stout with 100IBU that has almost no hoppiness to it.

This recipe at roughly 6% with almost no maltiness due to grain bill, 48IBU with a decent dry hop its going to have some hop flavor to it for sure.

General rule of thumb that distinguishes an IPA from a Pale is an IPA has at least 1 IBU / point of OG over 1.00.

Meaning 1.060 OG should have 60+IBU.0

That being said as mentioned before many breweries are going lower on IBU and higher on dry hop and late hop addition.

Marcellus 06-21-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 12925234)
Yeah, in session IPAs which still typically hang around 40 IBU's which is low for the style of a regular IPA.

The reason for that is the low OG (Original Gravity) of session IPA's. Thats a perfect example.

1.040OG would want around 40IBU to be considered an IPA.

That being said I have seen lower IBU on session IPA's but eventually you are kind of distorting the lines of what the beer really is.

Which really who cares as long as it taste good?