ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Funny Stuff Email Scam (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=309234)

Rasputin 08-09-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13000685)
When did you get out of jail?

Ha ha never been to jail but I more or less work at one at a state institution and they let me out every day :)

Dartgod 08-09-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 13000692)
Ha ha never been to jail but I more or less work at one at a state institution and they let me out every day :)

Say hi to Mr. Blonde for us.

Bufkin 08-09-2017 03:11 PM

As a county Sheriff's Deputy, I would say a quarter of our lobby walk-ins have to do with scams very similar to this. We had a PayPal scam recently in which several elderly people fell for. Essentially, the guy on the other line told them that they had a warrant for their arrest due to skipping jury duty, and they would need to send 500 dollars worth of PayPal credit cards to a specific address in order to clear the warrant.

The problem being, the address listed was out of country, and the phone numbers used were throwaway track phones. It's so hard not to ask some of the older women, "was it not suspicious that an out of country man with a Middle Eastern accent had the power to remove an active warrant via PayPal money?" It really is sad how vulnerable old people can be when it comes to scams like that.

Don't even get me started on Facebook phishing.

J Diddy 08-09-2017 03:16 PM

i m relly gud at killin but spelin aint gud at.

That seriously reads like a 3rd grader doing a Liam Neeson skit from Taken.

Bufkin 08-09-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 13000763)

Hysterical, and accurate. ROFL

wazu 08-09-2017 03:21 PM

I wonder if the spelling and grammar is how they get around spam filters. Maybe shuffling typos prevents a program monitoring for a large volume of identical emails. Just a guess.

J Diddy 08-09-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 13000777)
I wonder if the spelling and grammar is how they get around spam filters. Maybe shuffling typos prevents a program monitoring for a large volume of identical emails. Just a guess.

I'm willing to guess that it has more to do with not knowing English than spam filters.

Fish 08-09-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 13000595)
If the person who wrote this would take a couple minutes to target the email receiver with some social media info available on Facebook such as "you're daughter(s)", "your boxer dog that you like walk", "next time you go mountain biking I can make it look like an unfortunate accident"...you get the point. </br></br>He/she might actually get some results or at least sound legit.

http://i.imgur.com/NKNXUID.jpg

Beef Supreme 08-09-2017 03:44 PM

It's an obvious scam! Anyone who knows me well enough to want me dead knows I ain't got $20k laying around!

Rain Man 08-09-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 13000785)
I'm willing to guess that it has more to do with not knowing English than spam filters.

I read something once that concluded that the only people gullible enough to fall for these things are further convinced that they're real because of typos. Apparently gullible people believe that a large-scale scam would be carefully proofread beforehand, whereas the plea of a dying princess is going to be written under duress. It's actually kind of logical when you think about it.

listopencil 08-09-2017 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13000835)
I read something once that concluded that the only people gullible enough to fall for these things are further convinced that they're real because of typos. Apparently gullible people believe that a large-scale scam would be carefully proofread beforehand, whereas the plea of a dying princess is going to be written under duress. It's actually kind of logical when you think about it.

This explains the poor quality of the Princess Leia hologram in Star Wars.

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-09-2017 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 13000763)

Hey JDiddy , you doin OK ???

Dartgod 08-09-2017 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bufkin (Post 13000754)
As a county Sheriff's Deputy, I would say a quarter of our lobby walk-ins have to do with scams very similar to this. We had a PayPal scam recently in which several elderly people fell for. Essentially, the guy on the other line told them that they had a warrant for their arrest due to skipping jury duty, and they would need to send 500 dollars worth of PayPal credit cards to a specific address in order to clear the warrant.

The problem being, the address listed was out of country, and the phone numbers used were throwaway track phones. It's so hard not to ask some of the older women, "was it not suspicious that an out of country man with a Middle Eastern accent had the power to remove an active warrant via PayPal money?" It really is sad how vulnerable old people can be when it comes to scams like that.

Don't even get me started on Facebook phishing.

I have a friend who's elderly parents were scammed out of $10,000 a few years ago from a guy who claimed to be their grandson who needed bail money for some arrest in Minnesota. They said he sounded exactly like him and knew things that their grandson would know.

My parents have had a couple of similar calls over the last few years but didn't bite.

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-09-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13000835)

I'll keep that in mind as I move forward. Thanks,Rep

mr. tegu 08-09-2017 04:25 PM

There is a Craigslist one where cars are listed way below value and when you contact them they give a sob story about why they want to get rid of it fast and cheap. They then say ebay is handling the transaction to give it credence and will deliver the car to you after you pay like $500 in PayPal gift cards. I'm sure people fall for it all the time.