ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Offseason Plan 2.0 (12/16/15) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=296778)

DJ's left nut 12-17-2015 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11959469)
I don't have a problem signing him, hes been very good and he fits the scheme well. I think some of the Dbacks we need to keep are a little higher priority wise with the way this regime seems to develop DLman.

Yeah, but the franchise isn't doing bad at DB either with Peters, Gaines, Parker and Abdullah.

For all the shit that Sutton gets around here, the talent on the defense largely seems to play up. And we're not that far removed from having Tyson Jackson as the lynchpin of our DL.

I think the DL can do a lot to make everyone else look better. The Secondary can help a little in that regard, but not as much. If it came down to Smith or Howard (and it might), it's a tough call but if you lose DeVito and Howard next year, you're just as thin on the DL as you are if you lose Smith.

It's really 1A and 1B with those two guys. And where I think Gaines might be able to do the job as the #2 CB next season, I really don't see another asset on the DL that can stand in for Howard if we lose him.

Smith may be more important than Howard but Howard may be more difficult to replace. It's a tough call. In the end, I have more faith that we can pay Howard and he'll come near his contract year production than I do that we can pay Smith. Moreover, I think the market will support an even more out of whack contract for Smith than it would for Howard. So I'd focus my efforts on Howard at this point.

O.city 12-17-2015 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11959509)
Yeah, but the franchise isn't doing bad at DB either with Peters, Gaines, Parker and Abdullah.

For all the shit that Sutton gets around here, the talent on the defense largely seems to play up. And we're not that far removed from having Tyson Jackson as the lynchpin of our DL.

I think the DL can do a lot to make everyone else look better. The Secondary can help a little in that regard, but not as much. If it came down to Smith or Howard (and it might), it's a tough call but if you lose DeVito and Howard next year, you're just as thin on the DL as you are if you lose Smith.

It's really 1A and 1B with those two guys. And where I think Gaines might be able to do the job as the #2 CB next season, I really don't see another asset on the DL that can stand in for Howard if we lose him.

Smith may be more important than Howard but Howard may be more difficult to replace. It's a tough call. In the end, I have more faith that we can pay Howard and he'll come near his contract year production than I do that we can pay Smith. Moreover, I think the market will support an even more out of whack contract for Smith than it would for Howard. So I'd focus my efforts on Howard at this point.

I think they can keep Devito, he seems to want to be here until he hangs it up.

I think Sean Smith is gone. I don't see how they bring him back financially and frankly, they should probably look for the next Sean Smith at CB anyway in the FA market or draft.

The guy that scares me a little leaving is Berry.

RunKC 12-17-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11959533)
I think they can keep Devito, he seems to want to be here until he hangs it up.

I think Sean Smith is gone. I don't see how they bring him back financially and frankly, they should probably look for the next Sean Smith at CB anyway in the FA market or draft.

The guy that scares me a little leaving is Berry.

I can't see Berry leaving. I think he likes it here, especially after everything the team and executive staff have done for him.

kccrow 12-17-2015 06:43 PM

Thanks for some movement in this discussion guys. On Jaye Howard.... In my original offseason plan, I put him at 4 years, 34 million with 13 guaranteed and I got lit up that it was WAY too high and that he should be at what Bailey got. A month later, I'm getting lit up that putting him at Bailey's contract is too low and that he should be in the 4 year 32-36 million range. So, guys, which is it? I might just go with my original estimate given contract growth over time, and at a minimum you'll see 4 years, 30 million in the next version of this write-up.

On DJ, I put him in line with the tail end of Daryl Smith's contract in terms of salary. If DJ wants 6 million per, I'm not sure I take that pill. Maybe a meet in the middle type of deal at 2 years, 10 million with 6 in the first year but even then its alot to pay for a 33 year old. Even if DJ looks good in KC, he is beginning to slow down and he's noticeably smaller doing so. For a linebacker that relies on his speed, it starts to get worrisome.

kccrow 12-17-2015 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 11959284)
I just reviewed your financial cap movements and I took out Hammond and Matthews.
That's leads to $24.255m money spent. We have $33.498m in projected cap space, so that would give us $9.693m left.

I would cut Grubbs and Fanaika with a June 1st designation to save $2.467m and cut Cooper and Commings (we just did) saving $1.258m.
Then I would restructure Colquitt pushing his money to a bonus for an extra year saving $2m. I don't think anybody would mind having him here through 2018.

That would give us $15.418. That's plenty to give Sean Smith $8m next year.

You're forgetting that you are going to tie up between 6 and 7 million in your draft class and that you want to retain a couple million for wiggle room to pick a guy up in season if need be. Wave goodbye to your 9.693 million.

kccrow 12-17-2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 11959202)
My mistake. A third rounder. I am one that believes our window is closing with Charles, Hali, Johnson, Berry, etc. We know what we have in A. Smith and have acquired Macklin.

IMO...We need to draft more BPA talent to try to take advantage of this window. If we could hit on another pick like Peters and Ford somehow replicates his effort from last week on a continuous basis then we have a chance, albeit small, to make a run next season. Of course, many other aspects of your plan have to occur as well such as keeping key players.

The wheels are about to fall off this bus when we lose Hali, Johnson, Charles, Berry, Smith, etc. It's time to push the accelerator to the floor and see what this thing can do.

I've never believed in the BPA only approach. In general, I believe in the BPA in a position of need or near future need (1 year forward). It also is the theory that realistically gets practiced in the NFL. Let's say I had Joe Thomas and Andre Smith as bookend tackles, and I had both locked up for the next 3 seasons, then I probably wouldn't take a tackle in round 1 even if that was the best player on my board. I would, however, try to trade out of that spot to a team that does need a tackle right now.

Example this year:
So, while backup pass rusher is a need, a starting pass rusher doesn't look to be an immediate need. That being said, it is doubtful I'd pick a pass rusher in rounds 1 or 2.

I do otherwise agree with you that the Chiefs need to take advantage of the window of having some star players at some positions and begin filling out the rest of the roster adequately.

FRCDFED 12-18-2015 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 11960255)
I've never believed in the BPA only approach. In general, I believe in the BPA in a position of need or near future need (1 year forward). It also is the theory that realistically gets practiced in the NFL. Let's say I had Joe Thomas and Andre Smith as bookend tackles, and I had both locked up for the next 3 seasons, then I probably wouldn't take a tackle in round 1 even if that was the best player on my board. I would, however, try to trade out of that spot to a team that does need a tackle right now.

Example this year:
So, while backup pass rusher is a need, a starting pass rusher doesn't look to be an immediate need. That being said, it is doubtful I'd pick a pass rusher in rounds 1 or 2.

I do otherwise agree with you that the Chiefs need to take advantage of the window of having some star players at some positions and begin filling out the rest of the roster adequately.

We can agree on the BPA at a position of need but only to an extent.

IMO, there are several factors that come into play. For the purposes of this discussion we'll use FA and the draft to address the needs of the team. Obviously, there are years where one position is completely depleted. Thereby making that position a position of dire need. What matrix exists that determines which position on the team is of more value than the others (aside from QB of course)?

If a position group is weak in the draft then I would try to address it in FA (I know I am stating the obvious). It takes a GM that is very much up to speed on the upcoming draft class to be aggressive in FA at those positions.

Should the team fail to address the position in FA then that wouldn't necessarily mean addressing it with the first or second round pick is the best option if there is a higher impact player available at a position of lesser need.

So, in essence, I would take the BPA at a position of need, it just may not be the position that is the highest need if that position group is weak.

I know. I'm babbling.

kccrow 12-18-2015 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 11960988)
We can agree on the BPA at a position of need but only to an extent.

IMO, there are several factors that come into play. For the purposes of this discussion we'll use FA and the draft to address the needs of the team. Obviously, there are years where one position is completely depleted. Thereby making that position a position of dire need. What matrix exists that determines which position on the team is of more value than the others (aside from QB of course)?

If a position group is weak in the draft then I would try to address it in FA (I know I am stating the obvious). It takes a GM that is very much up to speed on the upcoming draft class to be aggressive in FA at those positions.

Should the team fail to address the position in FA then that wouldn't necessarily mean addressing it with the first or second round pick is the best option if there is a higher impact player available at a position of lesser need.

So, in essence, I would take the BPA at a position of need, it just may not be the position that is the highest need if that position group is weak.

I know. I'm babbling.

Not babbling. This makes perfect sense and I entirely agree with you.

O.city 12-18-2015 11:45 PM

If they let hali, devito, Sean smith walk, cut Charles they could make a run at Wilkerson

GloucesterChief 12-19-2015 08:48 PM

Scooby Wright declared. Should think about picking him up for ILB.

Saccopoo 12-20-2015 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 11963086)
Scooby Wright declared. Should think about picking him up for ILB.

In the third?

kccrow 12-21-2015 05:13 AM

I've started work on plan 3 after this Jah Reid signing and also finding out the contract details of the Bray extension. I will say, their will be a DB in round 1, but you gotta wait for the finished product. :D

FRCDFED 12-21-2015 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 11967817)
I've started work on plan 3 after this Jah Reid signing and also finding out the contract details of the Bray extension. I will say, their will be a DB in round 1, but you gotta wait for the finished product. :D

I just hope Dorsey can find another impact player in Round 1 much like he did with Peters this season. I know, we had to wait how many years to finally see the team get a solid first round talent? Hopefully he can follow that pick up with another player of that caliber.

Is it coincidence that Houston and Peters both had character issues leading up to the draft but have both performed at such a high level? Would anyone have been upset had KC taken Houston with a 1st rounder in that draft? I realize that Houston was taken by a previous regime but the point I'm trying to make is that if a player with character concerns is properly vetted then they can be a leader on your team. For every player like Houston or Peters there is a Jamarcus Russell or a Ryan Leaf. So let's hope Dorsey has found a way to weed out the ones that don't deserve a place on the Chiefs.

Another impact DB in Round 1 would be a great pick if we lose Sean Smith!

GloucesterChief 12-21-2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11963497)
In the third?

If he is still available. Need to replace DJ at some point.

hitchief 01-10-2016 02:18 PM

Really like your overall plan a lot but would change just a few things IMO.

at #3 I'd go Rashard Higgins WR - big upgrade potential over Wilson, Hammond and Avant IMO

So instead of resigning Hammond and signing a wr in FA I'd look for ILB help - 2nd tier type - Have not looked up who is available yet and maybe nobody worth while?