ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Sci-Fi geeks UNITE!! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119615)

oaklandhater 07-15-2005 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser
Galactica did not disappoint. That is a damn good show.

Yea it was a nice opener for the season.

keg in kc 07-15-2005 09:41 PM

I suppose I should log off and go watch it.

Bowser 07-15-2005 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc
I suppose I should log off and go watch it.

You should. You'll thank me later for saving you from all the pissing contest threads that are running rampant tonight.

keg in kc 07-15-2005 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser
You should. You'll thank me later for saving you from all the pissing contest threads that are running rampant tonight.

Hell, that's the reason I can't log off. I'm having too much fun being a dick.

keg in kc 07-15-2005 09:56 PM

Hey, hey, there's a podcast up for scattered: http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/downloads/podcast/

keg in kc 07-15-2005 11:54 PM

Decent episode, but I think it was the weakest of the entire series so far. And I hate the new opening.

Miles 07-16-2005 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc
Decent episode, but I think it was the weakest of the entire series so far. And I hate the new opening.

I just finished watching it. Thought it was pretty solid but not on par with the latter episodes of the 1st season. Hopefully it will pick up some next week.

I think part of it may have been jumping between the extra planet. The story on Kobal (think thats the name) is rather uninteresting so far especially since they didnt have much of Baltar and the ultra hot cylon.

keg in kc 07-16-2005 12:12 AM

They did set the bar really high towards the end of last year.

I'm pretty disappointed that it only got two emmy noms, both technical.

Gaz 07-17-2005 10:32 AM

Well, it was bound to be a disappointment...

The Galactica season opener was a bit below average for this series, but then "average" was pretty good last season. The storyline did not advance much this time and this episode was a lot more predictable than the earlier efforts, which is a disappointment. Still, BG still sets high on the TiVo Season Pass list.

I liked Ben Browder on “Farscape,” but hated “Stargate SG-1.” We TiVo’ed the season opener and will check it out to see if Browder’s charm translates from “Farscape” sufficiently to salvage SG-1. I doubt it, but am willing to give almost any science fiction series a try.

Sadly, yang to Battlestar Galactica’s yin is “The 4400” on USA. Mrs. Gaz and I tried really hard to like this one, but it is just SO TV [predictable, mawkish and heavy-handed] that we are pretty much ready to bail.

If we did not own the DVD set, we would be very excited about “Firefly” coming to SciFi. If you missed the show when Fox was sabotaging it, you should check it out. The movie version is coming out this fall.

xoxo~
Gaz
Science Fiction geek wandering in a vast reality TV wasteland.

sd4chiefs 07-17-2005 10:37 AM

SG-1 season opener was just a bad Indiana Jones ripoff story.

Bowser 07-17-2005 10:39 AM

Question for you, Gaz -

Is Firefly a movie on its own, or is it a series that they are making Serenity from? I know you are a huge Whedon fan, so how would you rate this compared to Buffy and Angel? Me, I'm looking forward to the movie, but know nothing of the story that leads up to it.

Bowser 07-17-2005 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd4chiefs
SG-1 season opener was just a bad Indiana Jones ripoff story.

Yeah, I have to agree. It will take time to integrate the new characters into an established story line. Hope they pull it off.

Rausch 07-17-2005 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz

The Galactica season opener was a bit below average for this series, but then "average" was pretty good last season. The storyline did not advance much this time and this episode was a lot more predictable than the earlier efforts, which is a disappointment. Still, BG still sets high on the TiVo Season Pass list.

I liked Ben Browder on “Farscape,” but hated “Stargate SG-1.” We TiVo’ed the season opener and will check it out to see if Browder’s charm translates from “Farscape” sufficiently to salvage SG-1. I doubt it, but am willing to give almost any science fiction series a try.

Sadly, yang to Battlestar Galactica’s yin is “The 4400” on USA. Mrs. Gaz and I tried really hard to like this one, but it is just SO TV [predictable, mawkish and heavy-handed] that we are pretty much ready to bail.

If we did not own the DVD set, we would be very excited about “Firefly” coming to SciFi. If you missed the show when Fox was sabotaging it, you should check it out. The movie version is coming out this fall.

xoxo~
Gaz
Science Fiction geek wandering in a vast reality TV wasteland.

I'll have to ditto your SG-1 comments. "Mac" brought some comedy and personality to the show but it still just didn't capture my attention. A big shocker was how good I thought Stargate: Atlantis was (considering it's a spinoff of a show I really can't stand.)

Atlantis seems to have the better "bad guys," the better acting, and better cast. The idea of the first season (we're trapped in a land far, far away with no help and no idea what's going on) was somewhat spoiled by last season's cliffhanger ending, but I'd still recomend the 1st season.

I also liked "The Dead Zone" but lately it's turned to more of the generic sci-fi TV series: week to week the events of the series don't seem to be remembered or have any impact on the following week's events. It's like a sit-com where continuity is almost completely missing...

Gaz 07-17-2005 11:56 AM

Bowser...

“Firefly” is a TV series. “Serenity” is a theatrical film based on [and a continuation of] the TV series.

Mrs. Gaz and I both really liked “Firefly.” Whedon’s dialogue will remind you of “Buffy” or “Angel,” but this is straight science fiction. There is a distinct absence of hip teens and pop references. “Firefly” is aimed more at adults.

xoxo~
Gaz
Hip enough to like “Buffy,” though.

keg in kc 07-17-2005 01:16 PM

I'm having trouble keeping myself interested in both the 4400 and the Dead Zone this year.

I've still got to watch the Atlantis premeire. I was online and missed half the show.