ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Removing old Wall Paper (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271230)

Shogun 03-16-2013 08:11 PM

Bugeater does it like the cavemen did it. I can respect that.

wheeler08 03-16-2013 08:11 PM

Awesome thread. I'm doing my kitchen and bedroom memorial day week and didn't know what I was gettin into.

Ming the Merciless 03-16-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507174)
Ya it might depend on how tight the wallpaper is. Now if the wallpaper is tight, i use coverstain to prime the walls its oil based so the wallpaper doesnt bubble like latex primer will, then i use joint compound to skim the seams, prime and paint. Sometimes its easier to prime and paint the wallpaper

I'm pretty much in with this plan..........and i'm pretty decent with texture , so i can match any areas that look off

Bugeater 03-16-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheeler08 (Post 9507186)
Awesome thread. I'm doing my kitchen and bedroom memorial day week and didn't know what I was gettin into.

You will be hating life 4 hours into it. Guaranteed.

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 08:17 PM

Coverstain is the best primer, its stinky but locks the shit in and kicks ass. I also like using polar bear roller naps. They are great. Now remember OP and any others who will be painting, take masking tape and tape your roller nap then peel it to get any loose fuzz off so you wont get that shit in your paint

Bugeater 03-16-2013 08:17 PM

And FFS, don't paint over wallpaper unless there is absolutely no way in hell of getting it off. I've probably done at least 100 wallpaper removal jobs, and only twice did I have to go that route.

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9507203)
And FFS, don't paint over wallpaper unless there is absolutely no way in hell of getting it off. I've probably done at least 100 wallpaper removal jobs, and only twice did I have to go that route.

The only way I do that is if me and my dad who owns his painting business, if the customer doesnt want to pay for removal

Bugeater 03-16-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507207)
The only way I do that is if me and my dad who owns his painting business, if the customer doesnt want to pay for removal

By the time I **** around with priming with oil and spend all the time hiding the seams and other shit they won't save that much with me. And if they're happy with it looking like shit they may as well paint it themselves.

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9507222)
By the time I **** around with priming with oil and spend all the time hiding the seams and other shit they won't save that much with me. And if they're happy with it looking like shit they may as well paint it themselves.

Well it takes no time for us to prime it and lightly skim any needed areas. Usually the seams are so tight we dont have to. Its actually an easy process

Bugeater 03-16-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507230)
Well it takes no time for us to prime it and lightly skim any needed areas. Usually the seams are so tight we dont have to. Its actually an easy process

If whoever put it up did a good job it definitely helps. I just don't like dealing with oil base paint. You're going to pay a premium if you want me to mess with that crap.

mikeyis4dcats. 03-16-2013 08:31 PM

use a paper tiger and warm water in a spray bottle.

if it's real bad you may have to rent a steam box.

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9507240)
If whoever put it up did a good job it definitely helps. I just don't like dealing with oil base paint. You're going to pay a premium if you want me to mess with that crap.

Well its not that messy we use coverstain, a cheap brush and roller. Not really messy if you get used to it. Oil paint is the best though.

crossbow 03-16-2013 08:49 PM

If the walls have a bad stain on them will Coverstain hide it so the paint ends up having an even hue and brightness to it? Or do I get out the Kilz?

Ming the Merciless 03-16-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow (Post 9507285)
If the walls have a bad stain on them will Coverstain hide it so the paint ends up having an even hue and brightness to it? Or do I get out the Kilz?

killz should do it, especially the oil based killz

even the water based one will work from my experience tho

Bugeater 03-16-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow (Post 9507285)

I've never used Coverstain but I'd imagine it's pretty much the same thing as Kilz. Anything oil-based will seal that stain.