ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals No matter where you live, the revival of downtown Kansas City is a great investment (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290807)

GloucesterChief 02-22-2015 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11341495)
Interesting. There has to be more to the story, like what kind of kickbacks did Bennett get from moving there. Because, Oklahoma City over Kansas City? Really? (not that our leadership could pull their collective heads out of their asses and land an ascending NBA team or anything, but you get what I'm saying)

No kickbacks. Bennett's sole intention when he bought the Supersonics was to move them to OKC. Stern of course saw an the opportunity of using a large market as leverage against local governments. He could entice Seattle ownership groups and use them as a threat with no intention of them actually being able to purchase a team. He did so in Sacramento.

They only problem with that strategy is that if someone has enough money they could go after the leagues no compete clause. Since Ballmer now has a team, there really isn't anybody who is interested in buying a team that has enough cash to actually bring the league to court.

Bowser 02-22-2015 11:41 AM

Well ok then, we were never in the running, lol.

I like how he promised to never move the SuperSonics, then a year later said he was moving the team, but they could keep the name, history, and colors. Sounds like a billionaire business man.

KCUnited 02-22-2015 11:42 AM

For real though, can we focus on more important issues like saving the Buzzard Beach parking lot from Pickleman's? #savewestport

GloucesterChief 02-22-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11341511)
Well ok then, we were never in the running, lol.

I like how he promised to never move the SuperSonics, then a year later said he was moving the team, but they could keep the name, history, and colors. Sounds like a billionaire business man.

Pretty much. Now you know why all leagues don't let teams be community owned like the Green Bay Packers. Makes it very hard to threaten a community when they own the team.

Bearcat 02-22-2015 11:46 AM

P&L isn't really my kind of place, except the occasional visit to the piano bar, but of course it's a nice area and much better than the abandon buildings or whatever crap was there before. And downtown isn't dangerous... I usually park on the street, sometimes a 6 or 7 block walk from P&L, and have only been asked for change once or twice, much less seen or had issues (they should light up that little park at 12th and Walnut though).

Fish 02-22-2015 11:48 AM

P&L is not a bargain. Downtown is a pain in the ass. Nightmare parking, annoying one-way streets, overpriced food and drinks.

Just not for me....

Bearcat 02-22-2015 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11341517)
P&L is not a bargain. Downtown is a pain in the ass. Nightmare parking, annoying one-way streets, overpriced food and drinks.

Just not for me....

Those parking garages have to be a nightmare after big events if you're looking to leave right away... never had an issue finding parking elsewhere though and being able to make a quick exit if needed.

Titty Meat 02-22-2015 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11341470)
P&L isn't a disaster or anything, it's just overpriced.

From a financial stand point it cost the city anywhere from 15-30 million a year and will do so for the next 20 years.

Titty Meat 02-22-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 11341512)
For real though, can we focus on more important issues like saving the Buzzard Beach parking lot from Pickleman's? #savewestport

No Shit parking was a headache last night and it wasn't even that busy

Prison Bitch 02-22-2015 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billay (Post 11341549)
From a financial stand point it cost the city anywhere from 15-30 million a year and will do so for the next 20 years.

That isn't true and you continue repeating it.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-22-2015 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11341484)
I'd like someone to write an insider story one day on how we ****ed up and didn't get the Thunder to come here.

You didn't **** up. They were never coming to KC. They would have never left Seattle if Stern and Bennett hadn't colluded to rat **** the city out of a basketball team they consistently supported.

Titty Meat 02-22-2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11341555)
That isn't true and you continue repeating it.

Oh? So the 14.3 million dollar a year tax payer subsidy is just made up huh?

Prison Bitch 02-22-2015 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billay (Post 11341565)
Oh? So the 14.3 million dollar a year tax payer subsidy is just made up huh?

I thought you said 15-30?

Titty Meat 02-22-2015 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11341576)
I thought you said 15-30?

It's projected to be about 16.5 by 2017 with 20 years to go. Now tell me how I'm wrong.

KCUnited 02-22-2015 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billay (Post 11341552)
No Shit parking was a headache last night and it wasn't even that busy

The best parking spot in Westport is the one person spot on Westport road that divides the Hurricane back entrance, The Foundry, and McCoys parking lot. There's a power pole and a utility box right there making it somewhat difficult for a passenger to get out. A lot of people don't realize you can park there because reading parking signs is a lost art in the age of massive parking lots. It's been available every time I go down there for a decade plus.

I wouldn't mention it, but I'm moving.