ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Hobbit (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252015)

Hammock Parties 03-20-2013 09:54 PM

They have 120 Hz TVs, of course you can watch something that's shot at 48 FPS on them.

Most sports are shown in 60 FPS.

Pepe Silvia 03-20-2013 09:56 PM

I had to read the book in HS and I wanted to shoot myself. There were only 150 different midget characters that you had to keep up with. :#

Valiant 03-20-2013 10:28 PM

Any word if they are doing extended versions?

Frosty 03-21-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9517368)
Any word if they are doing extended versions?

I read that the Extend Edition will come out in the fall. It's unsure if it will be available in 3D at this time.

Hammock Parties 03-21-2013 08:34 AM

There is no reason you can't put a 48 fps version on an extended edition release. Even if someone's TV doesn't support it (I can't imagine why though), you can watch any digital video file on your computer.

F them if they don't release this in HFR.

007 03-26-2013 06:18 AM

Watched it over the weekend. Really wasn't impressed at all. It was amazing to me how poorly done the CGI was. Things just looked so fake in this. Even some of the landscapes looked obviously fake. The dwarfs characters were just not interesting at all.

Deberg_1990 03-26-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9529852)
Watched it over the weekend. Really wasn't impressed at all. It was amazing to me how poorly done the CGI was. Things just looked so fake in this. Even some of the landscapes looked obviously fake. The dwarfs characters were just not interesting at all.

its funny how different peoples reactions are to this. I went in not expecting much, but really ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Admittedly, i was never the biggest LoTRs fan, so i thought this was better.

I do agree some of the CGI work( mainly the backgrounds) looked fake. It felt like they used more real locations in the original trilogy. I need to sit down and watch the original trilogy again sometime.

007 03-26-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9529865)
its funny how different peoples reactions are to this. I went in not expecting much, but really ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Admittedly, i was never the biggest LoTRs fan, so i thought this was better.

I do agree some of the CGI work( mainly the backgrounds) looked fake. It felt like they used more real locations in the original trilogy. I need to sit down and watch the original trilogy again sometime.

LotR blew this crap away.

Molitoth 03-26-2013 07:05 AM

First off, let me state I've never read the books.
Second, I know this is fantasy world.

But I just don't understand the powers of Gandolf.

One minute he can hold up his staff and blast hundreds of bad guys away in one shot of light, and the next minute he is running like a pussy from some goblins. Did his mana pool need to regenerate? Is there downtime on certain spells?

In the hobbit, he calls in a bunch of birds to come lift them off away from danger....

Why didn't Gandalf call the birds from get go, so they could've made their way to the dwarf mountain a shit load faster while avoiding all of that danger?
Why did the birds drop them off on a cliff that was still miles away from their destination instead of taking them closer?

I suppose with my logic, there wouldn't be a gazillion books.... but that kind of stuff bothers me.

Deberg_1990 03-26-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9529904)

One minute he can hold up his staff and blast hundreds of bad guys away in one shot of light, and the next minute he is running like a pussy from some goblins. Did his mana pool need to regenerate? Is there downtime on certain spells?

In the hobbit, he calls in a bunch of birds to come lift them off away from danger....

Why didn't Gandalf call the birds from get go, so they could've made their way to the dwarf mountain a shit load faster while avoiding all of that danger?
Why did the birds drop them off on a cliff that was still miles away from their destination instead of taking them closer?

I suppose with my logic, there would be a gazillion books.... but that kind of stuff bothers me.

Your applying too much logic. : )

Amnorix 03-26-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

errr...wait -- when does he blast hundreds of bad guys away in one shot of light?

The short of the short of the answer is that Gandalf is a Maia, basically a demi-god, similar in KIND (but not necessarily power) to Sauron, the Balrogs and the other wizards. His "power" is much more in the nature of being very wise and being able to lift the spirits of those who have little/no hope. This isn't Harry Potter or D&D, where wizards can blow stuff up. Gandalf does have a powerful magic ring which was given to him which is attuned to fire, which gives him much more control/ability in that area than might otherwise be the case.

Quote:

I suppose with my logic, there would be a gazillion books.... but that kind of stuff bothers me.
Yes, well, you're not the first to think of that...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1yqVD0swvWU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frosty 03-26-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

I don't know about the earlier part but the Eagles wouldn't go closer because they are afraid of the dragon.

Fire Me Boy! 03-26-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Because that would be a terrible book.

Frosty 03-26-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9529923)
I don't know about the earlier part but the Eagles wouldn't go closer because they are afraid of the dragon.

Also, in the book, Gandalf doesn't summon the Eagles. They just happen by and check out what the commotion is about. They save Gandalf and the dwarves and take them back to the Eagles' airie and give them food but kind of stay aloof from the dwarves. It's implied in the book that they saved them because the Eagles hate the Goblins and not because they love dwarves. Flying with a load across Mirkwood into dangerous dragon territory would be a lot to ask. They end up just sending the dwarves on their way from that point.

However, the Eagles do present a major plot hole in the way they are portrayed in both the LoTR and The Hobbit.

Brock 03-26-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

It's a kid's book. Now made into a kid's movie.