ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Jadeveon Clowney should lawyer up, challenge nonsensical 'three-years-out' rule (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269998)

Setsuna 02-14-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9402929)
This year, making the trade with the Jags AND having Geno makes a shitload of sense.

That is the ideal scenario, IMO. Get the Jags on the horn, trade them 1.1 for 1.2, 3.2 and next year's 1st (and probably 2nd). They'll go with Clowney, we go with Smith and we freakin' clean up.

And if they throw us a curve and take Geno, well hell, guess we'll have to live with Clowney. You can take Bray as a high-risk/high-reward guy, sign A. Smith and with 2 picks next season (one or both of which are likely to be top 10/15 picks), you can move up if you have to.

I've said it before when arguing in favor of taking the risk on Geno and I'll say it not when arguing in favor of taking the risk of both guys - this team needs to take some HR swings. ***** boned us, plain and simple. We're well behind the league and we're wasting the primes of some elite players. It's time for bold, aggressive action and if Clowney comes out, the decision has to be to trade w/ the Jags.

Never going to freaking happen.

Titty Meat 02-14-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9402439)
Right - I spoke to this exact scenario in the Alex Smith thread (I think) when I dropped a hypothetical about Clowney being available this season.

I said I was damn happy we didn't have to make that choice.

I still like Geno a lot and I'd still give him the combine, workouts and pro days to prove that his work with Weinke has given him the ability to drive the football without sacrificing his accuracy. Geno could still take the 1.1.

But I'd have to see him do that first. If Geno can't get his footwork thing fixed, his ceiling is Phillip Rivers. And since the argument right now seems to be "well Mario Williams never won shit!" well neither has Rivers.

And one of the interesting things about this QB class is that I really do think it's as deep a class as we've seen in a very very long time. With the rules making it easier to get credible QB play from guys that are merely good QBs, it may be time to take some chances and get one that falls.

I've been pretty open-minded throughout this process. I think I've shown some strong arguments in favor of Alex Smith, though he's not the guy I'd prefer. I've been open about Geno's flaws. Being open-minded about this stuff should make one's opinions count for more, at least it does in my eyes.

And here I have to concede that if the draft were held tomorrow and Clowney were in it, I'd have to go with Clowney.

Boom!

MagicHef 02-14-2013 02:00 PM

In the past 20 years, 11 Super Bowls were won by guys that were top 5 picks and still on their original teams.

5 LBs
3 QBs
2 RBs
1 OT

DJ's left nut 02-14-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandusksuna (Post 9402945)
Never going to freaking happen.

Alright, what might?

I think they'd give up next year's first for him, especially since they seem to think they can get a nice QB prospect in round 2 this year.

Speaking as a Jags fan, what would you give up, if anything, to move up and take Clowney? He sure seems like an ideal fit for your squad. Would you rather call KC's bluff and hope they don't take him or give up something to ensure that you'll get him?

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-14-2013 03:04 PM

This entire thread seems like an extended rationalization to avoid taking a QB.

DJ's left nut 02-14-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9403139)
This entire thread seems like an extended rationalization to avoid taking a QB.

This entire post seems like an extended attempt to avoid substantive discussion in favor of a predetermined course.

I don't see how you can see Clowney on the board and just say "**** it, I'm still taking Geno". At that point that is being an ideologue and little more.

And even if your position is "**** it, I'm taking Geno", you'd be irresponsible not to call Jacksonville and discuss trade-down scenarios, so why not kick that idea around as well?

htismaqe 02-14-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9402959)
Boom!

Ahem.

Posted yesterday at 8:15pm.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...2&postcount=24

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9401162)
Jacksonville would obviously want him badly.

I'd be tempted to see what I could get for trading down to #2 and taking Geno there.

:clap:

Setsuna 02-14-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9402976)
Alright, what might?

I think they'd give up next year's first for him, especially since they seem to think they can get a nice QB prospect in round 2 this year.

Speaking as a Jags fan, what would you give up, if anything, to move up and take Clowney? He sure seems like an ideal fit for your squad. Would you rather call KC's bluff and hope they don't take him or give up something to ensure that you'll get him?

Nothing. If we don't have the first pick then he's not worth getting in contrast to having a QB that isn't in the bottom 7 of QBs in the league for 2 years straight. I want my QB first.

Here is my reasoning. When the Broncos hoisted up the Superbowl trophy in 2013....oh wait they didn't. Von Miller was almost non existent in postseason play. When the 49ers hoisted up the Superbowl trophy...oh wait they didn't. Aldon Smith and Justin Smith were non existent in the postseason. When the Texans hoisted...oh wait they didn't. JJ Watt was non existent in the postseason. My point is, having a dominant pass rusher will win you regular season games to an extent but a QB wins you the postseason and the Superbowl. No thank you to Clowney if we aren't picking #1 overall. Not moving up for a player other than a QB.

RealSNR 02-14-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9402929)
This year, making the trade with the Jags AND having Geno makes a shitload of sense.

That is the ideal scenario, IMO. Get the Jags on the horn, trade them 1.1 for 1.2, 3.2 and next year's 1st (and probably 2nd). They'll go with Clowney, we go with Smith and we freakin' clean up.

And if they throw us a curve and take Geno, well hell, guess we'll have to live with Clowney. You can take Bray as a high-risk/high-reward guy, sign A. Smith and with 2 picks next season (one or both of which are likely to be top 10/15 picks), you can move up if you have to.

I've said it before when arguing in favor of taking the risk on Geno and I'll say it now when arguing in favor of taking the risk of both guys - this team needs to take some HR swings. ***** boned us, plain and simple. We're well behind the league and we're wasting the primes of some elite players. It's time for bold, aggressive action and if Clowney comes out, the decision has to be to trade w/ the Jags.

The point I was making is that Clowney won't be in this draft. Even if he does get a lawyer to fight this (which he won't)

Titty Meat 02-14-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9403268)
Ahem.

Posted yesterday at 8:15pm.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...2&postcount=24

:clap:

Going Bosschief on us :)

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-14-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9403163)
This entire post seems like an extended attempt to avoid substantive discussion in favor of a predetermined course.

I don't see how you can see Clowney on the board and just say "**** it, I'm still taking Geno". At that point that is being an ideologue and little more.

And even if your position is "**** it, I'm taking Geno", you'd be irresponsible not to call Jacksonville and discuss trade-down scenarios, so why not kick that idea around as well?

Once you trade down you lose control of your own destiny. The entire reason why the #1 overall pick is so desirable is precisely because you control the narrative of the entire draft. You don't have to consider contingencies, reaches, or runs on players, you spot your guy and you take it.

Furthermore, while Jadeveon Clowney is a great prospect, he can't add more value to a team than a quarterback can.

I realize that the situation discussed is working a trade with Jacksonville, but unless they are run by the fools who got fired from Cleveland, why would they possibly bite on that trade offer? It's Maddenesque bullshit.

I also realize that the equation in question is Clowney+ second round QB or journeyman, or potential 2014 QB vs. Geno Smith+2014 pick, but people are seriously ignoring the importance of draft experts creating narratives to ensure and garner interest.

Griffin went from a top 5 pick but decided #2 overall to QB to "Hey, maybe he's better than Luck" last year precisely for this reason.

Cam Newton was eviscerated as a prospect in 2011 to ensure the lack of available consensus. The same thing happened when Detroit was supposedly negotiating with Curry over Stafford.

Realize where you exist in space. Every #1 overall's stock is never lower than it is in this period, because if it wasn't, there'd be nothing to talk about.

All of that also ignores the fact that this has the same possibility of happening as someone injecting stem cells into Lawrence Taylor to reverse the aging process, thus making him eligible for this draft. Clowney is not going to declare for the draft. It's a pointless argument.

At the end, the equation is this simple: Even a great pass rusher is, at best, a closer. a quarterback is a starting pitcher. He makes a greater material impact on the game, and a 5% difference in QB is far more important than a 25% difference in DE.

O.city 02-14-2013 06:02 PM

Dude on pti made a good point. Said it wouldn't matter if he tried, high courts wouldn't get involved in something that's been collectively bargained so would fail

SAUTO 02-14-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9402309)
If you want to look at the ones that don't have ridiculously small sample sizes, that's pretty damning for RBs, tackles, and WRs.

EDIT: VERY damning for defensive tackles.

Funny we have drafted a DT, de, AND safety on that list
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties 02-14-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9403521)
Once you trade down you lose control of your own destiny. The entire reason why the #1 overall pick is so desirable is precisely because you control the narrative of the entire draft. You don't have to consider contingencies, reaches, or runs on players, you spot your guy and you take it.

Furthermore, while Jadeveon Clowney is a great prospect, he can't add more value to a team than a quarterback can.

I realize that the situation discussed is working a trade with Jacksonville, but unless they are run by the fools who got fired from Cleveland, why would they possibly bite on that trade offer? It's Maddenesque bullshit.

I also realize that the equation in question is Clowney+ second round QB or journeyman, or potential 2014 QB vs. Geno Smith+2014 pick, but people are seriously ignoring the importance of draft experts creating narratives to ensure and garner interest.

Griffin went from a top 5 pick but decided #2 overall to QB to "Hey, maybe he's better than Luck" last year precisely for this reason.

Cam Newton was eviscerated as a prospect in 2011 to ensure the lack of available consensus. The same thing happened when Detroit was supposedly negotiating with Curry over Stafford.

Realize where you exist in space. Every #1 overall's stock is never lower than it is in this period, because if it wasn't, there'd be nothing to talk about.

All of that also ignores the fact that this has the same possibility of happening as someone injecting stem cells into Lawrence Taylor to reverse the aging process, thus making him eligible for this draft. Clowney is not going to declare for the draft. It's a pointless argument.

At the end, the equation is this simple: Even a great pass rusher is, at best, a closer. a quarterback is a starting pitcher. He makes a greater material impact on the game, and a 5% difference in QB is far more important than a 25% difference in DE.

Thank you sir may i have another

Setsuna 02-15-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9403451)
The point I was making is that Clowney won't be in this draft. Even if he does get a lawyer to fight this (which he won't)

I know. I was answering DJ's post though. Even if we picked 2nd again next year I wouldn't want to trade up for him for those same reasons. Not worth it.