ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Teicher: Dorsey says Chiefs could draft Joeckel and re-sign Albert (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270326)

Bowser 02-24-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotCarl (Post 9431619)
Which is exactly why you take a man like Joeckel, not Ge'o

I remember when Willie Roaf just ****ing willed the entire team to multiple Super Bowl championships. Those were the days.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-24-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9431567)
I can't wait to see your face when Joeckel is taken at #1.

You're going to melt the **** down. Prob a lot like that crying Giants fan on youtube.

Thankyou, CoMo! Yes! Work that powerful mojo boy!
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni 02-24-2013 02:40 PM

Doughboy left tackle at one when you have a Top 10 guy on your squad...only the Chiefs.

The Franchise 02-24-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9431100)
I don't believe you're open to having it proved to you, but anyone who watches football should know that the move from tackle to guard isn't that uncommon. Going the other way is more so. Robert Gallery and Leonard Davis are the two examples that come immediately to my mind because they were both drafted in the top 5 to be LT but ended up finding their most success at G. Wade Smith is another example. Shawn Andrews went from college tackle to NFL guard and then, at the end of his career, out to NFL LT.

I looked at the first and third rounds of drafts from 2003 to 2007 (your 10 year window minus the most recent 5 years because those careers haven't had time to develop yet). There were 4 guys drafted as tackles in the first round during that stretch who ended up playing guard (Gallery, Andrews, Vernon Carey, and Chris Williams). All of them except for Andrews started out their NFL careers as tackles and Andrews finished his as one. There were 7 guys drafted in the third round as tackles who ended up playing guard at least to some extent. One of those guys was Eric Winston so his guard play was minimal. The others, including Wade Smith, spent more significant time at guard.

I said successfully played guard. Moving them to guard doesn't mean shit if they don't excel at it.

patteeu 02-24-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9432560)
I said successfully played guard. Moving them to guard doesn't mean shit if they don't excel at it.

Many of the players I counted were successful at guard. I mentioned several of them by name. You were wrong.

O.city 02-24-2013 04:15 PM

Were any of those guys ever a top 10 LT before they moved to guard? I have no idea, just asking.

htismaqe 02-24-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9432434)
Doughboy left tackle at one when you have a Top 10 guy on your squad...only the Chiefs.

Don't worry about it. Joeckel isn't going 1st overall.

patteeu 02-24-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9432907)
Were any of those guys ever a top 10 LT before they moved to guard? I have no idea, just asking.

No. Beyond that, I'd assume that most of them failed to stand out at tackle, ala Robert Gallery. But the argument is whether or not a successful tackle could be a successful guard and I think the answer is a clear yes in most cases. Particularly in the case of a successful tackle who was an outstanding guard in college.