ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics New Apple Tablet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222464)

Pitt Gorilla 03-07-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8427293)
Do you think I give a shit if people like overpaying for it? Doesn't change my opinion on it one bit.

The market is WRONG!

AustinChief 03-07-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8425832)
Sure it matters. The clarity is obvious when side by side, like the image posted above. For things like maps, X-rays, technical drawings and such, the ability to zoom in indefinitely without losing quality can be very useful. It provides a huge increase is contrast and clarity. Color depth is greatly improved. Viewing angle is increased considerably. It also improves the accuracy of where you're tapping on the screen.

LOLWUT? you do know that just because the screen resolution increases it doesn't mean the underlying DATA resolution changes at all right?

That being said, I like that Apple is pushing us to higher screen resolutions. I just hope it trickles down/up to desktop/laptop displays having higher ppi as well.

Also, did THEY claim that it would have more pixels than any device? Because that is just ludicrous. (see IBM 22" T220 displays) Any MOBILE device is probably true right now. (although the Asus Transformer Infinity is just a smidge below that)

Bewbies 03-08-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8427357)
Thats nice. Perfectly happy with my android device that didn't cost near as much and I can do more with.

Weren't you the guy bitching about his Kindle Fire breaking? If that's your android device you can do more with lol.

(Posted from a kindle fire)

007 03-08-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8427652)
Weren't you the guy bitching about his Kindle Fire breaking? If that's your android device you can do more with lol.

(Posted from a kindle fire)

That was my wifes kindle fire and it was a bad experience. I'm not very forgiving when a device breaks down after 2 weeks. AS far as the ipad goes. I'm sure it is a fine piece of hardware but there is no way it is worth $500 for the basic version. I don't consider any tablet worth $500 with the kind of laptops you can get out there for the same money.

As far as the android devices I can do more with, my gtablet has been great and my Touchpad has been outstanding. Both run ICS.

|Zach| 03-08-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8427293)
Do you think I give a shit if people like overpaying for it? Doesn't change my opinion on it one bit.

You seem to give a shit enough to thumb your noes at people who find more value to it than you assign by talking about it in an over simplistic way and always jumping in with your dog and pony show.

You think it is overpriced. We get it. Thou cheapskate doth protest too much.

Deberg_1990 03-08-2012 08:19 AM

Nice, i just read that ICloud is going to offer a movie service and the new AppleTV will be 1080 capable.

Death knell for Blue Rays.....as long as bandwidth will permit.

Dave Lane 03-08-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8427197)
heh, here we ago again with your overpriced suggestion. If it was overpriced, it wouldnt be selling.

Took me 3 hours to get an order in online for delivery. Even with the planned surge of volume the servers couldn't keep up. Damn overpriced crap.

007 03-08-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zoccer| (Post 8427762)
You seem to give a shit enough to thumb your noes at people who find more value to it than you assign by talking about it in an over simplistic way and always jumping in with your dog and pony show.

You think it is overpriced. We get it. Thou cheapskate doth protest too much.

It's called being frugal and getting the most for your buck.:)

patteeu 03-08-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8429537)

There's nothing wrong with being frugal. To me, it's an admirable quality. But the demand for the iPad proves that it isn't overpriced in the common usage of the term. It's out of your price range, but it isn't overpriced.

007 03-08-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8429551)
There's nothing wrong with being frugal. To me, it's an admirable quality. But the demand for the iPad proves that it isn't overpriced in the common usage of the term. It's out of your price range, but it isn't overpriced.

Maybe. I just feel that many of their customers will buy anything apple puts out at any price they make it. Not saying all do that but many.

The only apply product I was ever able to justify for myself was the Touch because it was so unique at the time. I have moved on from that now that there are so many android options that do the same thing and do it better in my opinion.

Price is my big gripe with apple. I feel that all of their products are overpriced. But thats no secret.

|Zach| 03-08-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8429537)

Its called being myopic and assuming other people who use that product are not getting great value for what they buy because you think you are some contrarian.

Fish 03-08-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8429572)
Maybe. I just feel that many of their customers will buy anything apple puts out at any price they make it. Not saying all do that but many.

The only apply product I was ever able to justify for myself was the Touch because it was so unique at the time. I have moved on from that now that there are so many android options that do the same thing and do it better in my opinion.

Price is my big gripe with apple. I feel that all of their products are overpriced. But thats no secret.

Apple products are overpriced because their customers show a high degree of brand loyalty.

Mind bottling logic....

Bewbies 03-08-2012 03:44 PM

My brother just picked up a barely used iPad2 today for $250. For $50 I'd take the used iPad over my new Kindle Fire.

007 03-08-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8429746)
My brother just picked up a barely used iPad2 today for $250. For $50 I'd take the used iPad over my new Kindle Fire.

Now thats a good price.

Pitt Gorilla 03-15-2012 09:26 PM

Apple stock went above $600 today. THAT is insane.

NewChief 03-15-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8458961)
Apple stock went above $600 today. THAT is insane.

I bought an iPad2 last Saturday morning. I like it, but it's not replacing my laptop. I have too much very specific work I have to do on my laptop with specific files. That being said, it's awesome for the kitchen, outside on the porch, bedtime and travel. I love the device, but it hasn't changed my life or anything.

Deberg_1990 03-16-2012 07:11 AM

New IPad HD on sale today!

bigdaddychieffan 03-17-2012 08:36 PM

The new iPad is very cool. I bought a bluetooth keyboard case to go with it and the screen is so sweet. Watching videos in high def on it are stunning. I really like the voice dictation..it is pretty accurate. It is a replacement for my laptop since I don't really do much except for send e-mails, watch neftlix and surf on Chiefsplanet and ESPN. Plus with the 4g lte I can take it anywhere I go and have Chiefsplanet at my fingertips. I love it.

WilliamTheIrish 03-18-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zoccer| (Post 8429638)
Its called being myopic and assuming other people who use that product are not getting great value for what they buy because you think you are some contrarian.

No it isn't. It's a statement of fact. I won't pay their price either. If you do, that's your baileywick. I own one that I picked off craigslist from a student that needed money. Basically I stole it from her.

I want an iPad II. And I'll wait until I can get one that fits what I'm willing to pay. If you want to pay retail, by all means, do just that.

Dave Lane 03-18-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8429551)

That's the real truth just because you can't / dont want to afford it doesn't mean it's overpriced

Dictated on my iPad 3

L.A. Chieffan 03-18-2012 11:15 AM

other than the apple superfans, i dont think people are all that impressed

patteeu 03-18-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 8467768)
No it isn't. It's a statement of fact. I won't pay their price either. If you do, that's your baileywick. I own one that I picked off craigslist from a student that needed money. Basically I stole it from her.

I want an iPad II. And I'll wait until I can get one that fits what I'm willing to pay. If you want to pay retail, by all means, do just that.

Between you and Guru, you make up two data points, not the entire market.

WilliamTheIrish 03-18-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8467940)
Between you and Guru, you make up two data points, not the entire market.

Yea, I realize that.

I am the only market I care about. We could debate this all day and night. As I clearly stated, if people want to pay the retail price, it's okay with me. "I" will not. But I'll find a way around that. School will be out soon and college students will be trying to get what they can for them in the next month or two.

patteeu 03-18-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 8467968)
Yea, I realize that.

I am the only market I care about. We could debate this all day and night. As I clearly stated, if people want to pay the retail price, it's okay with me. "I" will not. But I'll find a way around that. School will be out soon and college students will be trying to get what they can for them in the next month or two.

OK, at first I thought you were disagreeing with |Zach|.

WilliamTheIrish 03-18-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8467976)
OK, at first I thought you were disagreeing with |Zach|.

What I disagreed about in Zach's post is his view that not wanting to pay the price was myopic, and by extension, that I feel retail payers don't get the same value as I do/did. Nothing more really.

I love the product. I just can't get through the price. I love expensive things. But I'll never own a lot of them unless they fall into my lap in such a way that I can justify the price.

"Wants" vs "Needs" thing with me.

patteeu 03-18-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 8467996)
What I disagreed about in Zach's post is his view that not wanting to pay the price was myopic, and by extension, that I feel retail payers don't get the same value as I do/did. Nothing more really.

I love the product. I just can't get through the price. I love expensive things. But I'll never own a lot of them unless they fall into my lap in such a way that I can justify the price.

OK, I interpreted |Zach|'s "myopic" statement differently than you did. I thought he was saying that it's narrow minded for Guru to say that something is overpriced just because he isn't willing to pay the price.

L.A. Chieffan 03-18-2012 11:46 AM

It IS overpriced if you consider you can get devices with comparable or better features for the same if not cheaper price. Its not overpriced to people that dont give a shit about price.

|Zach| 03-18-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8468018)
It IS overpriced if you consider you can get devices with comparable or better features for the same if not cheaper price. Its not overpriced to people that dont give a shit about price.

It isn't. The form factor is really good.

I think people who blab on about how Apple is only good at marketing sound so silly. In this country at this moment in history we are saturated with marketing hype, brand hype, and marketing bullshit every second of every day.

We are very cynical when it comes to all of that stuff.

People never give Apple enough credit for the form factor of what they made with the iPad. Everything else has fallen on its face because it simply isn't as good.

|Zach| 03-18-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 8467996)

I don't have a problem with someone not wanting to pay for the device and not seeing its value. That is no biggie. However his insinuation that people who buy them are drooling idiots who just have money and are too stupid to think for themselves was silly.

bigdaddychieffan 03-18-2012 09:38 PM

The new iPad is definitely very expensive. But you have to take into consideration that a lot of people might use this for their laptop. Which makes it not quite so bad of a price. You can definitely find cheaper laptops but when you set there and know that you can take it anywhere with you it makes it not so bad. What is just really cool is that I dictated this whole thing with my new iPad.

Pitt Gorilla 03-19-2012 09:44 PM

Apple sold just over 3 million iPads over the weekend. I don't know if that is good or bad, but it seems like a lot of product.

Silock 03-20-2012 07:10 AM

Obviously, it's overpriced.

Fish 03-20-2012 11:05 AM

Ha ha ha....

**NSFW Language**

<iframe src="http://www.funnyordie.com/embed/c22442cae5" width="960" height="580" frameborder="0"></iframe><div style="text-align:center;width:960px;"><a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c22442cae5/new-ipad-review" title="'from Funny Or Die, Ryan Perez, Nick Wiger, BoTown Sound, and Brian Lane">New iPad Review</a> - watch more <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/" title="on Funny or Die">funny videos</a> <iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?app_id=138711277798&amp;href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.funnyordie.com%2Fvideos%2Fc22442cae5%2Fnew-ipad-review&amp;send=false&amp;layout=button_count&amp;width=150&amp;show_faces=false&amp;action=like&amp ;height=21" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:90px; height:21px; vertical-align:middle;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></div>

Deberg_1990 03-22-2012 06:42 AM

IFixIT tears apart the new IPad. Shockingly Apple doesnt appear to cater to the DIY crowd.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VXuFZE9g3iE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-...eardown/8277/1

Canofbier 03-22-2012 07:01 AM

All things considered, the iPad isn't really as overpriced as many make it out to be. The hardware that they include in it is impressive, and combining it in so compact a package is something to be impressed at.

Maybe it's not worth it to some (particularly those individuals who already own an iPad2 and can't justify paying full price for a new tablet), but I got one and it was worth it to me entirely.

Fish 03-22-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8482771)
IFixIT tears apart the new IPad. Shockingly Apple doesnt appear to cater to the DIY crowd.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-...eardown/8277/1

What? You mean they didn't make their 1/4" thick tablet form factor easily accessible for the DIY crowd? How shocking indeed.....

:spock:

What did you expect? A bunch of empty RAM and PCI slots inside? Why would a tablet's internals need to be easily accessible?

DBoweShow 04-05-2012 05:11 PM

Alright. My girlfiend wants an iPad super bad. So I started looking into them. If you guys were going to buy one, would you get the new iPad 3 or pay 100 bucks less for the iPad 2? And is it even worth the 400 bucks for an iPad 2?

007 04-05-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBoweShow (Post 8520372)
Alright. My girlfiend wants an iPad super bad. So I started looking into them. If you guys were going to buy one, would you get the new iPad 3 or pay 100 bucks less for the iPad 2? And is it even worth the 400 bucks for an iPad 2?

2 and no

bishop_74 04-05-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

2 and yes. Wife hated the idea of buying one, but it has replaced her laptop entirely and runs far better. She doesn't have to have me hovering over it to update things and keep it malware and virus free. Its a no brainer. It is built for people who dont want to upkeep or upgrade. Totally a wife machine.

The Iron Chief 04-05-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Funny just today I spent a few hours with my mother picking out the iPad 2 over the 3.
It took my mother 2 yrs to get a handle on where the on off switch was on her pc...hours after setting up her iPad 2 she was checking the weather,checking her eml and playing a game of Canasta.
She said shes going to toss her old pc in the garbage tomorrow.

It truly is a no brainer to get people that need something fun and EASY to operate a true no brainer.
And since my mothers not about to try any of the games I or my kids play the iPad 2 for $100.00 less than the 3 was also a no brainer.
And it in itself runs Sweet anyhow.
I wanted to pretend I needed it overnight to finish the full set up but hey its my mom. :)

Saul Good 04-05-2012 07:34 PM

What has been upgraded since the original?

Saulbadguy 04-05-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

If you are poor I recommend an iPad2. If not, go for the 3.

|Zach| 04-05-2012 11:54 PM

Nabbed an iPad 3 two weeks ago. Just real handy. Surpassed expectations. Love the form factor.

Gravedigger 04-06-2012 12:58 AM

I myself got an Ipad 3 as my first tablet. I had a 4 year old macbook that wasn't running as fast as usual and it was behind on the specs. I used it primarily for surfing the web and using it on the go.

People said "You can't replace a laptop with an Ipad." They were wrong, its lighter, has a better battery life, runs faster, costs less and its display is really nice given my fading eyesight. It has a ton of nifty features that I haven't even gotten into yet. Personally I love mine. My buddy has the new Galaxy Tab because he says he wont buy apple products, now true I paid $200 more for mine but I have twice his memory and after playing with my Ipad for an hour the other day he's pissed because he can't take his galaxy tab back.

007 04-06-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 8521085)
I myself got an Ipad 3 as my first tablet. I had a 4 year old macbook that wasn't running as fast as usual and it was behind on the specs. I used it primarily for surfing the web and using it on the go.

People said "You can't replace a laptop with an Ipad." They were wrong, its lighter, has a better battery life, runs faster, costs less and its display is really nice given my fading eyesight. It has a ton of nifty features that I haven't even gotten into yet. Personally I love mine. My buddy has the new Galaxy Tab because he says he wont buy apple products, now true I paid $200 more for mine but I have twice his memory and after playing with my Ipad for an hour the other day he's pissed because he can't take his galaxy tab back.

He does know that Galaxy Tab has expandable memory right? What exactly was it that made him decide the ipad was better anyway? Not trying to knock the device. Just curious what he liked.

Silock 04-06-2012 02:50 PM

I still don't really understand why anyone needs expandable storage on a tablet. I have a 32gb iPad and I don't even come close to filling it up. Everything is either cloud based or streams to the iPad.

That being said, I thought this iPad thing was going to be killed off in a year. Why is this thread still going?

007 04-06-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8522058)
I still don't really understand why anyone needs expandable storage on a tablet. I have a 32gb iPad and I don't even come close to filling it up. Everything is either cloud based or streams to the iPad.

That being said, I thought this iPad thing was going to be killed off in a year. Why is this thread still going?

Because some of us don't choose to pay for the extra fees for internet on these devices and therefore can't stream on the go. Hence the appreciation for expandable storage. I would rather spend the money on a 8 or 16gb device and upgrade my storage at the cheaper rate myself.

Silock 04-06-2012 03:02 PM

I don't pay any extra fees for internet on my devices. My iPad is wireless-only.

Fish 04-06-2012 03:03 PM

FYI.... you can run XBMC on the iPad. It will look exactly like this:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qOd_3Q-Ri8A?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qOd_3Q-Ri8A?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

You can even get the HDMI out adapter that will let you hook it straight up to your TV and display exactly what I demo'd above.

Let's see your Android tablet provide that kind of media experience...

007 04-06-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8522079)
I don't pay any extra fees for internet on my devices. My iPad is wireless-only.

so you only stream in the home?

|Zach| 04-07-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8523251)
so you only stream in the home?

Or the billions of places that have wifi.

007 04-07-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zoccer| (Post 8523335)

You've never been to Topeka.

Fairplay 04-07-2012 12:24 AM

Will sell kidney for iPad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-17640209

Silock 04-07-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zoccer| (Post 8523335)

This. I have thousands of books on mine, a couple of great movies and a couple of large music playlists, just I case I need some entertainment and there is no wifi. If I am really desperate to access google docs or something, I'll tether to my phone.

But most places that I take an iPad have wifi. It's never been a problem.

|Zach| 04-07-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8523432)
This. I have thousands of books on mine, a couple of great movies and a couple of large music playlists, just I case I need some entertainment and there is no wifi. If I am really desperate to access google docs or something, I'll tether to my phone.

But most places that I take an iPad have wifi. It's never been a problem.

I am in the same exact position. Wifi at home and work...wifi everywhere plus tethering if in a bind.

NewChief 04-07-2012 07:44 AM

I went wifi only as well. My biggest astonishment was with the number of airports that don't have free wifi. Ridiculous. Most of the time it's fine though.

Deberg_1990 04-07-2012 09:14 AM

Its become a wireless/Cloud world. I dont even think Apple makes a wired ethernet adapter for the iPad do they?

007 04-07-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8523571)
Its become a wireless/Cloud world. I dont even think Apple makes a wired ethernet adapter for the iPad do they?

If you have constant access to usable wifi it is. Some cities do better at that than others obviously.

Pitt Gorilla 04-07-2012 08:39 PM

I have 3G with mine that I activate when traveling. Otherwise, I use only wifi.

Pitt Gorilla 07-17-2012 09:06 AM

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...could_hit_20m/

Analyst: Q3 iPad Sales Could Hit 20M

Needham analyst Charlie Wolf thinks Apple could report quarterly iPad sales at 20 million units during its third quarter conference call on July 24. He originally projected 13.5 million units, and his new figures come in higher than Wall Street expectations.

Mr. Wolf decided his earlier estimate was low because 12 NFL teams have moved to the iPad for their play books, commercial airlines are adopting the iPad for cockpit documentation, more airlines are offering iPads to passengers on long flights, and schools are giving the tablets to students and teachers.

“We suspect the list is far longer, embracing, for example, travel agencies, real estate firms and restaurants, which are visualizing the products and services they sell,” Mr. Wolf said, according to Fortune.

He added that looking at how iPad sales have trended since it was introduced in spring 2011 helped shape his new estimate.

“When iPad 2 was introduced in March 2011, sales increased 97 percent in the following (June) quarter. Our forecast of 20 million iPad sales in June implies a 70 percent sequential increase from March,” he said. “While this number appears aggressive, it must be remembered that Apple has continued to sell iPad 2 at the lower price of $399.”

Apple will host its third fiscal quarter earnings report on July 24, and The Mac Observer will offer our usual live coverage of the event.

Apple is currently trading at US$593.92, down 12.66 (2.09%).

qabbaan 07-17-2012 09:19 AM

Never thought I would be toting around an Apple device but I got one of the new iPads (current version) last week and I haven't used my other devices much since. I looked at the Transformer (et al), but the display on the iPad is peerless, and the interoperability with my phone and iTunes (the cloud storage of everything) is also valuable because I travel a lot.

Fish 07-17-2012 09:32 AM

I'm not really a big fan of the iPad3. The retina display, while nice and pretty looking, doesn't really justify the reduction in battery life, the increased charging time, or the increase in dimensions and weight. Right now, the iPad2 is a much better deal and a better system IMO...

DaveNull 07-18-2012 06:04 AM

Yeah, that extra .8mm and .1 pounds really makes a difference.

Pitt Gorilla 08-15-2012 02:00 PM

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/mobi...flash-support/

Android latest platform to drop Flash support

By Jon Gold | Network World US | 15 August 12

As of today, Adobe's Flash media infrastructure is no longer supported on the Android mobile platform, marking a further shift of momentum toward the alternative HTML5 standard.

The move is in keeping with Adobe's stated policy on mobile Flash, as the company announced in late 2011 that it would be abandoning its efforts in the smartphone and tablet market to focus on development for HTML5 -- an open standard touted as the future of rich Web content.

If you've already got the Flash plug-in on your Android device, it should still work, though official development has ceased, and users of Jelly Bean are out of luck in any case -- Adobe never developed a version of the platform for Android 4.1, and says that it has no plans to do so. Existing Flash installs on certified devices will continue to receive security updates, however.

That's an important consideration, as security is one of the key points that many of Flash's critics -- most famously, Steve Jobs, in his well-known letter explaining why he didn't want it on iOS -- point to as reasons why it's past time to switch to a different standard. Adobe's record of securing Flash is not a pretty one, which has made the framework a popular target surface for malware distribution.

While there's still plenty of Web content out there that depends on the Flash plug-in to run, the HTML5 standard is rapidly increasing in popularity -- so even though Adobe's decision might make some sites not function on Android devices, there shouldn't be a long-term loss of functionality.

The story is much the same on the other major mobile platforms, with the exception of BlackBerry OS -- Research In Motion has said it would continue to support Flash as well as HTML5 in the future. Future Windows Phone versions will have only limited support, however, and iOS, as mentioned, has never been interested in the framework.

Email Jon Gold at jgold@nww.com and follow him on Twitter at @NWWJonGold.

patteeu 08-15-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8819979)
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/mobi...flash-support/

Android latest platform to drop Flash support...

http://www.blackweb20.com/wp-content...home-alone.jpg

Bewbies 08-15-2012 02:16 PM

Am I supposed to praise Apple or Google on this one? Or am I supposed to get angry at one or both of them??

**** I'm confused?!

DaFace 08-15-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8819979)
If you've already got the Flash plug-in on your Android device, it should still work, though official development has ceased, and users of Jelly Bean are out of luck in any case -- Adobe never developed a version of the platform for Android 4.1, and says that it has no plans to do so. Existing Flash installs on certified devices will continue to receive security updates, however.

I guess I don't understand what that means. I'm running Jellybean on my phone and tablet, and flash works fine. :shrug:

I'm using Dolphin Browser HD, which may have it built in I guess.

AustinChief 08-15-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656660)
I doubt much of ANYTHING usable will be out in a "few" months... yes, Apple will effectively speed up the process but that just means we will se more html5 in the next 1-2 years instead of 3-4... trust me, HTML5 is not at all ready for prime time.

And here we are OVER 28 months later and HTML5 adoption is still CRAWLING along... no video standard, poor implementation, etc etc

I was wrong to think that it would take 2 years to see proper adoption and a phase out of Flash... it's gonna be even longer. Of course that means all you Apple fan bois were WAY WAY WAY WRONG. :D

I think it's a mistake for Adobe to abandon the mobile market NOW, they are a solid year too early BUT hopefully it will speed things up. As much as I recognize the NEED for Flash capable devices... I'd rather it be left behind and replaced. The problem is Apple and now Adobe are putting the cart before the horse.

AustinChief 08-15-2012 09:09 PM

In a fun bit of irony... I may have to buy a Mac in the next month. Apple won't let you develop on any platform other then their own... so if I want to port my android phone app to a iPhone then I will have to buy my first Apple since 1985!

(all the other Macs, iPads, etc I have used or worked on in recent years weren't mine.. mostly girlfriends and such)

qabbaan 08-16-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8820023)
Am I supposed to praise Apple or Google on this one? Or am I supposed to get angry at one or both of them??

**** I'm confused?!

Apple never wanted to work with flash because it's a resource hog and has a lot of security problems. They tried to help push html5 instead. Looks like they were on the winning side

Adobe can just die already...

Fish 09-27-2012 09:41 PM

iPad rebound.... Google Nexus better get to work Q3, it should drop the numbers a bit...

IHS iSuppli: Apple iPad takes 69.6 percent of tablet brand market share in Q2, reader tablets take a bruising

By Jon Fingas posted Aug 14th 2012 5:14PM

http://imageshack.us/a/img31/2920/ih...letmarkets.jpg

An earlier portrait of the second quarter's tablet market share made it quite clear that the iPad was on a rebound, if it was ever in a slump to start with. All those numbers focused on platforms and not brands, however -- we didn't know how the individual makers were doing. If IHS iSuppli's figures are on the ball, there's even more of a discrepancy if you break down the period's results by manufacturer. The iPad staked out 69.6 percent of tablet shipments in the spring. That wasn't just an 11-point jump over a year earlier; it was a level of share Apple hasn't had since the Motorola Xoom was just cutting its teeth early in 2011.

As for the rest? Transformer Pads kept ASUS growing, but it's not a pretty sight if you're making an Android reader tablet; both Amazon and Barnes & Noble shed roughly a point and a half each, which is no small amount relative to their size. Samsung also lost share by this after its deliveries of Galaxy Tabs mostly stayed flat. We'd add that there's some wiggle room as to real performance knowing that units shipped and sold aren't always one and the same. Most of these companies are leaving clues regarding upcoming tablet refreshes that might level the playing field, some not so subtle, but it's currently Apple's game to win.

AustinChief 09-27-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8955841)
iPad rebound.... Google Nexus better get to work Q3, it should drop the numbers a bit...

IHS iSuppli: Apple iPad takes 69.6 percent of tablet brand market share in Q2, reader tablets take a bruising

By Jon Fingas posted Aug 14th 2012 5:14PM

http://imageshack.us/a/img31/2920/ih...letmarkets.jpg

An earlier portrait of the second quarter's tablet market share made it quite clear that the iPad was on a rebound, if it was ever in a slump to start with. All those numbers focused on platforms and not brands, however -- we didn't know how the individual makers were doing. If IHS iSuppli's figures are on the ball, there's even more of a discrepancy if you break down the period's results by manufacturer. The iPad staked out 69.6 percent of tablet shipments in the spring. That wasn't just an 11-point jump over a year earlier; it was a level of share Apple hasn't had since the Motorola Xoom was just cutting its teeth early in 2011.

The problem is that these numbers are only valid to compare against themselves. They simply don't include all the manufacturers and most importantly they don't include the "shadow" tablet market. White box tablets in China and India are selling in mass numbers but don't get counted. The last estimate I saw for 2012 was 40-50 MILLION units to ship as white box tablets. That figure is estimated to be 100-150 for 2013. No question that iPad still holds the lead as a single brand among Tier 1 tablets though. I blame MS for being so slow to the game, I think they will make a huge push (if they price it right) but I have my doubts that the push will come in time to make a significant difference this year. We'll see.

(btw, with all the numbers added in, it puts Apple down below the 30% range but it's really hard to tell how accurate the numbers really are without paying out the ass for the actual industry reports on displays.. I looked once and it was somethign crazy like $2k for the reports... regarding our bet, I think I will be close-ish but just not have enough time to catch up... was too aggressive and should have padded with another 6 months! :D)

Bewbies 09-27-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8955917)
The problem is that these numbers are only valid to compare against themselves. They simply don't include all the manufacturers and most importantly they don't include the "shadow" tablet market. White box tablets in China and India are selling in mass numbers but don't get counted. The last estimate I saw for 2012 was 40-50 MILLION units to ship as white box tablets. That figure is estimated to be 100-150 for 2013. No question that iPad still holds the lead as a single brand among Tier 1 tablets though. I blame MS for being so slow to the game, I think they will make a huge push (if they price it right) but I have my doubts that the push will come in time to make a significant difference this year. We'll see.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxq31n5T0h1r2g7iz.gif

Bewbies 09-27-2012 10:05 PM

That android tablet that will dominate the iPad is right around the corner....

WoodDraw 09-27-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

I think you and I agree on probably 95% of technology. But I'm not sure I care about the whitebox sales, especially as google continues to exert more influence over it's ecosystem.

And isn't the point of tablet sales the ecosystem? How many people in China buying off market tablets are investing in Google apps, movies, and music? It just doesn't matter.

I also think Microsoft will blow it badly when it comes to tablets. Quick, go ask anyone on the street what the difference between Windows 8, Windows 8 RT, and Windows 7, and Windows XASEDS is. They are the worst company at marketing I've ever seen.

AustinChief 09-27-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8955921)
That android tablet that will dominate the iPad is right around the corner....

Don't think ANYONE argued that point. Some of us argued that just like the PC industry, Apple will settle in to it's "equilibrium" point around 17%. Which is still great for a single manufacturer, but their model doesn't lend itself to holding on to a majority of the market. Just look at phones. Or PCs. It won't be ONE Android tablet, it will be an industry full of Android, Windows, etc tablets... I have no doubt that much like phones, they will stay as the top single manuafacturer for awhile.... right around 17% or so.

AustinChief 09-27-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8955934)
I think you and I agree on probably 95% of technology. But I'm not sure I care about the whitebox sales, especially as google continues to exert more influence over it's ecosystem.

And isn't the point of tablet sales the ecosystem? How many people in China buying off market tablets are investing in Google apps, movies, and music? It just doesn't matter.

I also think Microsoft will blow it badly when it comes to tablets. Quick, go ask anyone on the street what the difference between Windows 8, Windows 8 RT, and Windows 7, and Windows XASEDS is. They are the worst company at marketing I've ever seen.

I agree on MS having the potential to totally blow it. BUT I'll wait and see, they have some serious advantages if they don't fail on the marketing side.

I disagree on the importance of white box sales. Those sales help drive down manufacturing costs across the board and also apply downward pressure on the pricing industry wide. Look at the PC industry for an example of how "white box" PCs forced brand names into pricing wars.

WoodDraw 09-27-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8955952)
I disagree on the importance of white box sales. Those sales help drive down manufacturing costs across the board and also apply downward pressure on the pricing industry wide. Look at the PC industry for an example of how "white box" PCs forced brand names into pricing wars.

The downward pressure is already there. The Nexus 7 and the Amazon tablets are already sold near cost. If you're expecting less than a $200 tablet, I believe you'll have to wait awhile.

The pressure right now is on the ecosystems, not the hardware.

Fish 09-27-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

(btw, with all the numbers added in, it puts Apple down below the 30% range but it's really hard to tell how accurate the numbers really are without paying out the ass for the actual industry reports on displays.. I looked once and it was somethign crazy like $2k for the reports... regarding our bet, I think I will be close-ish but just not have enough time to catch up... was too aggressive and should have padded with another 6 months! :D)

"Shadow" tablet market what? Ninjas?

I thought that "Others" in the graph, the second largest percentage by far at over 12%, might include something along those lines... What else would "Others" be?

AustinChief 09-27-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8955979)
"Shadow" tablet market what? Ninjas?

I thought that "Others" in the graph, the second largest percentage by far at over 12%, might include something along those lines... What else would "Others" be?

NINJA TABLETS WOULD RULE!!!

In your survey, "others" is the other Tier 1 (sometimes called Tier A) manufacturers.

Hell, in the 1st half of 2012 they had already sold 18 million white box tabs and that is JUST Chinese manufacturers, I have no clue on Indian numbers.. I'd guess (but it is purely out of my ass guessing) that they are around 10% of that.. maybe 2 million, so they certainly should hit 40 million for the year.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120724PD212.html

And the "shadow market" is a proper term in the industry.