ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers Somebody's gotta have the inside scoop on Google Fiber launching tomorrow..?? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261759)

htismaqe 01-31-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10404304)
Even if that is true, why would that make this bill a good thing for the public? You know the government is supposed to work for the good of its citizens right?

I didn't say the bill was good. You've started with a faulty assumption.

Stewie 01-31-2014 02:43 PM

Everyone I know with the opportunity to get Google in KCK has signed up. From the full bundle down to the "free" Internet service.

I'd be interested to see the number of customers that have dumped TWC and others. I bet it's significant and the reason for this BS legislation.

wazu 01-31-2014 02:47 PM

If I lived in Kansas, I would be freaking out right now. I'm kind of freaking out anyway. This is just so wrong.

Stewie 01-31-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 10404388)
If I lived in Kansas, I would be freaking out right now. I'm kind of freaking out anyway. This is just so wrong.

I don't think it has much to do with Kansas other than KCK was chosen as the launching pad for Google fiber. All the other providers have their panties in a wad because they're inefficient behemoths. Step 1: Cry to the legislature.

Imon Yourside 01-31-2014 03:07 PM

Wow what a load of crap...so business as usual...whaddya know?

wazu 01-31-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 10404425)
I don't think it has much to do with Kansas other than KCK was chosen as the launching pad for Google fiber. All the other providers have their panties in a wad because they're inefficient behemoths. Step 1: Cry to the legislature.

It's Kansas legislature basically outlawing something awesome for the whole rest of the state of Kansas. That's not much to do with Kansas?

htismaqe 01-31-2014 03:14 PM

Awesome?

It's government-subsidized internet provided by Google.

Make sure that it's clear - Google is not providing a private service. Google is providing a municipal network, in partnership with the city of KCK.

The Kansas bill doesn't prevent Google from installing fiber in other municipalities in KS as a PRIVATE ENTITY. They just can't do it as an agent of any city government or other taxpayer-funded institution.

jjjayb 02-01-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10404267)
Because at some point, the prevalence of those 250Mb connections will reach the point of diminishing returns, where you're introducing new bottlenecks upstream and affecting the performance of everybody, including yourself.

Bandwidth isn't unlimited.

And 640k is all the memory anyone will ever need too. I remember when I thought a 6mb connection was awesome. Times have changed. Get with it.

htismaqe 02-01-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb (Post 10406112)
And 640k is all the memory anyone will ever need too. I remember when I thought a 6mb connection was awesome. Times have changed. Get with it.

ROFL

I didn't say anything about the future. As of right now, 1GE residential Internet service is overkill.

Nice try at changing the argument though.

suzzer99 02-01-2014 03:05 PM

When I upgraded my Commodore 64 modem from 300 baud to 1200 it was the greatest day ever.

suzzer99 02-01-2014 03:06 PM

Shouldn't the KS legislature get back to more important business like rewriting science and history in their school curriculum?

jspchief 02-01-2014 03:44 PM

So who sponsored this legislation?

htismaqe 02-01-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10406196)
So who sponsored this legislation?

Most likely one of the people listed previously...

Valiant 02-01-2014 04:24 PM

How is the latency for most people?

digger 02-19-2014 05:25 PM

Google aims to provide broadband in 34 more cities.

If Google realizes its goal, the company will provide high-speed Internet service in these additional cities: Phoenix; Scottsdale, Ariz.; Tempe, Ariz.; San Jose, Calif.; Santa Clara, Calif.; Sunnyvale, Calif.; its hometown of Mountain View, Calif.; Palo Alto, Calif.; Atlanta; Avondale Estates, Ga.; Brookhaven, Ga.; College Park, Ga.; Decatur, Ga.; East Point, Ga.; Hapeville, Ga.; Sandy Springs, Ga.; Smyrna, Ga.; Nashville, Tenn.; Charlotte, N.C.; Carrboro, Cary, N.C.; Chapel Hill, N.C.; Durham, N.C.; Garner, N.C.; Morrisville, N.C.; Raleigh, N.C.; Portland, Ore.; Beaverton, Ore.; Hillsboro, Ore.; Gresham, Ore.' Lake Oswego, Ore; Tigard, Ore.; San Antonio; and Salt Lake City.