ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics New Apple Tablet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222464)

Deberg_1990 08-01-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 7791973)
If you charge money...literally any money for anything at any price you are going to alienate some people.

So very very true......if you charge 10 cents for something, there will be people who come along and say: "Why cant i get it for 5 cents?"

007 08-01-2011 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 7791973)
I think that is a small subset of their sales. Unless you are trying to tell me all those iphone and ipad users all eat sleep and breath apple. I think all of those people just see a superior product.

If you charge money...literally any money for anything at any price you are going to alienate some people.

If 20% of your customers are not bitching about the price it isn't high enough.

Aside from that lower end price point customers are more of a pain to deal with customer service wise. Bargain hunters bitch and nitpick and cost money to deal with.

Just my opinion of course but as long as it is a completely closed system it is not a superior product. None of these tablets are worth $500 though. android included.

|Zach| 08-01-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7792100)
Just my opinion of course but as long as it is a completely closed system it is not a superior product. None of these tablets are worth $500 though. android included.

All the money in Apple's bank account disagree. It a product line for you...no biggie.

But that doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong with their pricing points.

WilliamTheIrish 08-05-2011 06:10 AM

Okay, I have an issue that you 'applets' can help me with.

I purchased am 8 month old iPad. When I try to update it, it asks for the previous owners password.

Do I have to reformat completely or is there a workaround?

Fish 08-05-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7802926)
Okay, I have an issue that you 'applets' can help me with.

I purchased am 8 month old iPad. When I try to update it, it asks for the previous owners password.

Do I have to reformat completely or is there a workaround?

You can log the previous owner out of the App Store, so that you can purchase and install apps with your iTunes account.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4286/ipad34.png

But.... if you want the password prompt to go away for good, you'll have to reformat it or else delete the apps that were downloaded by the previous user. If you leave apps on the device that were installed with someone else's iTunes account, it will forever prompt you for that previous user's account password in attempts to update the apps purchased by the other user. It won't matter what account you're signed into the App Store with, if there's apps from another account, it will prompt you when there's an update for the app.

WilliamTheIrish 08-05-2011 03:00 PM

"Fish, you magnificent bastard!!....

WilliamTheIrish 08-05-2011 03:05 PM

Okay Fish, sounds like it's best to just reformat the thing. Is that just resetting it to factory specs on that same page you posted?

patteeu 08-05-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7803946)
"Fish, you magnificent bastard!!....

He's an essential Apple product resource.

Fish 08-05-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7803965)
Okay Fish, sounds like it's best to just reformat the thing. Is that just resetting it to factory specs on that same page you posted?

Yup. Settings\General\Reset

Keep in mind that after you do a full reset, you'll need to connect it to iTunes to get it to boot up again. That confuses the hell out of some people... They reset it, and go to turn it on, and it won't boot right up. Black screen until you connect it to iTunes.

If you're doing that, it would probably be a good opportunity to upgrade it to the latest firmware directly after you reset it. That will get you as up to date as possible. Upgrading to a new firmware will delete everything off of it as well, so do it when there's nothing on it. When you connect to iTunes after reset, it will tell you if there's new software available for it.

If you have any other questions, post em up.

WilliamTheIrish 08-05-2011 10:47 PM

Yea Fish, that black screen caught me off guard. And of course I don't have access to a computer and I leave for Fresno in the morning.
Posted via Mobile Device

Param 08-05-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7784505)
That apple tablet is kind of neat looking. Can I get it with the Android OS?

Get the new Samsung Galaxy tab then.

Param 08-05-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7783679)
There's a rumor that they're going to buy Barnes and Noble for $1 billion. Not sure why they would, though, unless they want their schoolbook business.

Apple has like $72b in cash right now, so it's not a bank-breaker or anything.

I've heard that, and that makes absolutely no sense to me.

vailpass 08-06-2011 02:21 PM

Fan boys we love you.

WilliamTheIrish 08-06-2011 04:27 PM

A 2 hour update.. but at least it's recognizing the device as mine.

Param 08-06-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7805915)
A 2 hour update.. but at least it's recognizing the device as mine.

Downloading the beta?

WilliamTheIrish 08-07-2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Param (Post 7806544)
Downloading the beta?

Hell if I know. The weird thing is that it got down to "1 second left" in the download and then it said my connection timed out.

It didn't of course as it now fires up exclusively under my name and account.

Param 08-07-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7806762)
Hell if I know. The weird thing is that it got down to "1 second left" in the download and then it said my connection timed out.

It didn't of course as it now fires up exclusively under my name and account.

NVM

I haven't connected my ipad/iphone yet.

dirk digler 09-02-2011 09:09 PM

Amazon is set to launch their new tablet in November for $250. Runs Android and will be called Amazon Kindle.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/02/amazon-kindle-tablet/

It’s called simply the “Amazon Kindle”. But it’s not like any Kindle you’ve seen before. It displays content in full color. It has a 7-inch capacitive touch screen. And it runs Android.

Rumors of Amazon making a full-fledged tablet device have persisted for a while. I believe we were one of the first to report on the possibility from a credible source — the same person who accurately called Amazon’s Android Appstore. That source was dead-on again, it just took Amazon longer than anticipated to get the device ready to go. They’re now close.

How do I know all of this? Well, not only have I heard about the device, I’ve seen it and used it. And I’m happy to report that it’s going to be a big deal. Huge, potentially.

First of all, before every commenter asks, no, sadly, I don’t have any pictures to share. That was the one condition of me getting this information. So instead you’ll have to rely on my prose to draw a picture of the device in your head. Or you can just look at a BlackBerry PlayBook — because it looks very similar in terms of form-factor.

So here’s what I know and what I saw:

Again, the device is a 7-inch tablet with a capacitive touch screen. It is multi-touch, but from what I saw, I believe the reports that it relies on a two-finger multi-touch (instead of 10-finger, like the iPad uses) are accurate. This will be the first Kindle with a full-color screen. And yes, it is back-lit. There is no e-ink to be found anywhere on this device.

Earlier this week, reports suggested that a 7-inch Amazon tablet could be released in October, with a larger, 10-inch version to follow next year.

That’s somewhat accurate. As of right now, Amazon’s only definitive plan is to release this 7-inch Kindle tablet and they’re targeting the end of November to do that. The version I saw was a DVT (Design Verification Testing) unit. These have started floating around the company. It’s ready, they’re just tweaking the software now. If it’s not in production yet, it will be very soon.

Originally, Amazon had planned to launch a 7-inch and a 10-inch tablet at the same time. But that plan changed this summer. Now they’re betting everything on the 7-inch. If it’s a hit, they will release the more expensive 10-inch tablet in Q1 2012.

So how much will the 7-inch Kindle cost? $250.

Yes, Amazon has been able to trim the cost of the device to half of the entry-level iPad. And it will be the same price as Barnes & Noble’s Nook Color, which this will very obviously compete with directly. Both have 7-inch color touch screens. Both run Android.

And this is where things get really interesting. As anticipated, Amazon has forked Android to build their own version for the Kindle. Simply put: it looks nothing like the Android you’re used to seeing.

The interface is all Amazon and Kindle. It’s black, dark blue, and a bunch of orange. The main screen is a carousel that looks like Cover Flow in iTunes which displays all the content you have on the device. This includes books, apps, movies, etc. Below the main carousel is a dock to pin your favorite items in one easy-to-access place. When you turn the device horizontally, the dock disappears below the fold.

Above the dock is the status bar (time, battery, etc) and this doubles as a notification tray. When apps have updates, or when new subscriptions are ready for you to view, they appear here. The top bar shows “YOUR NAME’s Kindle” and then the number of notifications you have in bright orange. It looks quite nice.

There are no physical buttons on the surface of the device. You bring up a lower navigation menu by tapping the screen once. This can take you back home, etc.

But the key for Amazon is just how deeply integrated all of their services are. Amazon’s content store is always just one click away. The book reader is a Kindle app (which looks similar to how it does on Android and iOS now). The music player is Amazon’s Cloud Player. The movie player is Amazon’s Instant Video player. The app store is Amazon’s Android Appstore.

Google’s Android Market is nowhere to be found. In fact, no Google app is anywhere to be found. This is Android fully forked. My understanding is that the Kindle OS was built on top of some version of Android prior to 2.2. And Amazon will keep building on top of that of that over time. In other words, this won’t be getting “Honeycomb” or “Ice Cream Sandwich” — or if it does, users will never know it because that will only be the underpinnings of the OS. Any visual changes will be all Amazon.

They are not working with Google on this. At all.

There is a web browser (of course), and while it’s styled a bit to match the Kindle UI, it looks pretty much the same as the Android’s WebKit browser. Yes, it has tabs! And yes, Google Search is still the default (the Kindle also has its own search tool to find content on your device).

Overall, the UI of this Kindle felt very responsive. You can flick through the carousel seamlessly. This is something Amazon has apparently been working on quite a bit, I’m told. And they continue to. Some of the page-turning touch mechanics still needed a bit of work in the version I used.

I believe the visual web reading app Pulse will be bundled with the Kindle. A game like Angry Birds may be as well. Again, it uses Amazon’s Android Appstore, so all of the content accepted into that store will play well on this device. Apps, games, content, you name it. Amazon creating their own app store is starting to make a lot more sense, and looks potentially very smart (as anticipated).

A few more bits about the hardware:

I believe it is running on a single-core chip (though I’m not 100 percent sure). My understanding is that the 10-inch version, if it comes, will have a dual-core chip.

I also believe the device only has 6 GB of internal storage. The idea is that this will be more of a “cloud device” for things like music and movies. The storage is meant for storing books and apps There were a few references to an SD card expansion, but I couldn’t find a slot on the hardware itself.

This initial version of the device will be WiFi-only. Amazon is supposedly working with carriers to possibly product 3G-enabled versions (as they have with their other Kindles), but that won’t be the case at launch.
I’m not sure what the battery life is like (I only played with it for about an hour), but I imagine it is very good and in line with other tablets — 10 hours or so.

There is no camera.

So why will people buy this device instead of a Nook Color? Well, beyond the deep Amazon services integration, there will be two other reasons, I believe. First, Amazon is going to promote the hell out of this thing on Amazon.com. Second, the plan right now is to give buyers a free subscription to Amazon Prime.

The service, which Amazon currently sells for $79 a year, gives users access things like free unlimited two-day shipping, and no minimum purchases for free shipping. More importantly for this product, Prime users get access to Amazon’s Instant Video service. There will be more Kindle-related perks, I imagine.

As far as the existing e-ink-based Kindles, all I’ve heard is that they’ll continue to co-exist with this new tablet (though the DX may or may not stick around). They’ll simply be the low-end, low-cost Kindles, whereas this new one will be the high-end one (at least until the 10-inch version comes out, if it does). One source said it doesn’t seem likely that Amazon is going to release a touch-screen e-ink Kindle, like the new Nook, anytime soon. But none of that is confirmed, it’s simply speculation based on the emphasis on getting this new tablet to market.

Oh and one more thing: Amazon has been working on a multi-touch screen/e-ink hybrid tablet device. But that’s nowhere near completion, I’m told. So for now, this new Kindle will have to do.

That’s all for now. I suspect even more information (and pictures) will start leaking out soon — again, the new Kindle is very close to being done. Not only is the device real, from what I’ve seen, it’s solid. I suspect it will be on many people’s holiday wish-list this year.

DaFace 09-02-2011 09:28 PM

It'll be interesting to see how that works out for them. In some ways, Amazon is better suited to be a true tablet competitor than Google, and the subsidized price point is obviously an advantage they'll have in terms of sales.

dirk digler 09-02-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7875254)
It'll be interesting to see how that works out for them. In some ways, Amazon is better suited to be a true tablet competitor than Google, and the subsidized price point is obviously an advantage they'll have in terms of sales.

The price is good but honestly I am a little underwhelmed. This is more or less a Nook color.

SLAG 09-02-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7875292)
The price is good but honestly I am a little underwhelmed. This is more or less a Nook color.

I agree
I could do much more with a hacked nook color today than wait for Amazon to release something that isn't even connected to all my other google services

007 09-02-2011 11:33 PM

7" display? unimpressed

Fish 09-03-2011 11:35 AM

Yeah.... 7" display is too small for a baseline tablet model. And it sounds like Amazon is intent on controlling the UI.

And why is this in the iPad thread and not the Android thread? I don't get that..

Bewbies 09-03-2011 12:06 PM

Amazon is smart not going directly at iPad. Going this route they are going to sell a shitload of these things.

TrickyNicky 09-03-2011 12:08 PM

"Oh and one more thing: Amazon has been working on a multi-touch screen/e-ink hybrid tablet device. But that’s nowhere near completion, I’m told. So for now, this new Kindle will have to do."

I'd rather just wait for that.

DaFace 09-03-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 7876118)
Yeah.... 7" display is too small for a baseline tablet model. And it sounds like Amazon is intent on controlling the UI.

And why is this in the iPad thread and not the Android thread? I don't get that..

It's meant to be very Kindle-like rather than a typical tablet. That's why it's 7".

DaFace 09-03-2011 04:18 PM

Here's an article that explains my point much better than I can:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/02/ama...-tablet-photo/

Fish 09-03-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7877040)
Here's an article that explains my point much better than I can:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/02/ama...-tablet-photo/

Ok... That makes sense reading that..

Silock 09-09-2011 02:50 PM

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/09/...o-ios-devices/

AustinChief 09-09-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7890528)

ugh. not this crap again... this does NOT make Flash available on an iOS device. Period. It's a media server that lets you serve both Flash AND html5 ... there is nothing new about this and it does NOTHING to address ANY of the main issues why certain publishers haven't made the switch.

Silock 09-09-2011 04:57 PM

I wouldn't say it does NOTHING to address it. It certainly is a bit cost prohibitive, though. $4500? Ouch.

Pitt Gorilla 09-19-2011 09:44 PM

In related news:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2163...-i-phone-5.htm

Apple shares rose 2.78 percent to close at $411.63 per share, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average slipped 0.94 percent, the Nasdaq lost 0.36 percent and the S&P 500 index dropped 0.98 percent.

Apple is also now firmly in first place as the largest company in the world – boasting a market cap of $381.7 billion, versus $358.6 billion for Exxon-Mobil (NYSE: XOM).

Shares of the iconic giant have climbed 10 percent since late August when Steve Jobs revealed he would step down as chief executive; and have jumped almost 30 percent over the past three months.

Pants 09-20-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 7926203)
In related news:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2163...-i-phone-5.htm

Apple shares rose 2.78 percent to close at $411.63 per share, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average slipped 0.94 percent, the Nasdaq lost 0.36 percent and the S&P 500 index dropped 0.98 percent.

Apple is also now firmly in first place as the largest company in the world – boasting a market cap of $381.7 billion, versus $358.6 billion for Exxon-Mobil (NYSE: XOM).

Shares of the iconic giant have climbed 10 percent since late August when Steve Jobs revealed he would step down as chief executive; and have jumped almost 30 percent over the past three months.

That is just incredible. Good for Apple.

007 09-20-2011 11:18 PM

Looks like the ipod touch is not getting any real updates this year other than a paint job. disappointing.

Skyy God 09-28-2011 03:36 PM

After seeing the Fire in action today, my money's on Kyle. Amazon is going to ship millions of units.

Fish 09-28-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 7950602)
After seeing the Fire in action today, my money's on Kyle. Amazon is going to ship millions of units.

Nope....

As cool as the Fire looks, the iPad will remain strong. They're actually ramping up production big time right now...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09...million_ipads/

Apple girds loins for 'obscene iPad sales surge'

Foxconn ships '20 million' fondleslabs
By Rik Myslewski in San FranciscoGet more from this author
Posted in Music and Media, 1st September 2011 19:10 GMT

If you need any further proof that the iPad will continue to dominate the tablet market, here's a bit of news that should remove all doubt: Foxconn, the Chinese supplier of Apple's fabulously successful fondleslab, will ship 20 million iPad 2s this quarter.

So says DigiTimes when reporting Foxconn's earnings – $945.9m – for the first half of this year. Foxconn itself declined to comment "on a specific client".
http://view.atdmt.com/MRT/view/34181...94059076305452

At least one analyst says that during the final quarter of this year – holiday gift-giving season, y'know – Apple will move 21.9 million iPads. How many of those will be produced by Foxconn in the their third, 20-million-iPad quarter is unknown – but no matter how you slice it, Apple is crushing any and all competition.

Just ask HP, which canned its TouchPad two weeks ago. When HP CEO Leo Apotheker explained the demise of his company's tablet effort and the spin-off their PC business, he said "The tablet effect is real." What he really meant was "The iPad effect is real, and it's kicking us in both cheeks: our tablets and our consumer PCs."

The Motorola Xoom? A mere 250,000 were shipped in its first quarter of availability, and 440,000 in the most recent quarter. RIM's PlayBook? "Approximately 500,000".

And remember, those numbers are of tablets shipped to retailers, and not how many were sold to actual cash-on-the-barrelhead customers – all indications are that the latter stat is significantly lower. Apple, on the other hand, has been selling iPads as fast as it can make them – the company has regularly had to explain to its investors that it's building them as fast as it can.

As we've said before, people don't want tablets. They want iPads.

As of Apple's last fiscal quarter, which ended in June, 28.7 million iPads had flown off the shelves in the year and a quarter that they had been on sale. And if history is any guide, we're going to see another iPad sales surge: during the holiday quarter of 2010, Apple sold 7.3 million iPads, a nearly 75 per cent bump up from 2010's third calendar quarter sales of 4.2 million.

Now, we're not saying that this holiday quarter will see an equally ludicrous leap – after all, in 2010 the iPad was rampaging through early adopters like a voracious virus – but just for giggles,let's say that those 20 million Foxconn iPads get sold this quarter, and that the 2010 holiday-buying bump-up repeats itself: that'd mean that 35 million iPads would be found under Christmas trees, Hanukkah bushes, and Kwanzaa candles this year.

Ain't gonna happen, of course – but 21.9 million? Sounds doable.

Acer chairman J.T. Wang says that tablet "fever" is cooling. Well, he's right, but only because it was so steamy last year. The company's founder, Stan Shin, dismisses tablets as a "fad".

He's wrong. And if DigiTimes' sources are correct, Foxconn can show him 20 million reasons why. ®

AustinChief 09-28-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 7950642)
Nope....

As cool as the Fire looks, the iPad will remain strong. They're actually ramping up production big time right now...

Fact is, I'll be right... I just may be wrong on my timing... eventually the iPad will be marginalized ... it is just taking far longer than I thought. As more and more sub $250 tablets come to market... sales will start to surge. Just look at what happened when the Touchpad was offered at $99 and $150. My guess NOW is that by the time the bet os over the iPad won't be as far down the ladder as I hoped but will be around 30-40%... I'm probably a full year off from them being sub 17%

NewChief 09-28-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7951039)
Fact is, I'll be right... I just may be wrong on my timing... eventually the iPad will be marginalized ... it is just taking far longer than I thought. As more and more sub $250 tablets come to market... sales will start to surge. Just look at what happened when the Touchpad was offered at $99 and $150. My guess NOW is that by the time the bet os over the iPad won't be as far down the ladder as I hoped but will be around 30-40%... I'm probably a full year off from them being sub 17%

I do think you'll EVENTUALLY be right... but you do realize how much you're falling into the "next Apple killer along any day" script, don't you?

Silock 09-28-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

I'm probably a full year off from them being sub 17%

Under 17% tablet marketshare in a year?

Can we put some kind of money on this?

AustinChief 09-28-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7951048)
I do think you'll EVENTUALLY be right... but you do realize how much you're falling into the "next Apple killer along any day" script, don't you?

well the bet I made isn't over for another year+ so I'm not saying "any day" at all.

AustinChief 09-28-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7951067)

The bet I ALREADY made is for under 16% ( I think) as of Jan 1st 2013 (15 months from now).. what I am saying now is that I think I will end up being a full year off with that date.

Fish 09-28-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Well no offense, but the timing was a big part of the bet. And you were alotted more time than was originally discussed anyway.. But I'm not complaining.

I think you might be right eventually. But still, so far the iPad has exceeded even my expectations.

AustinChief 09-28-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 7951110)
Well no offense, but the timing was a big part of the bet. And you were alotted more time than was originally discussed anyway.. But I'm not complaining.

I think you might be right eventually. But still, so far the iPad has exceeded even my expectations.

Oh no, I agree that the timing IS the bet.. I am just saying that right now it doesn't look like I will win unless the Fire and Nook2 go crazy and Windows8 tablets catch on as well. You never know, Windows 8 could change the entire landscape.

007 09-28-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7951123)
Oh no, I agree that the timing IS the bet.. I am just saying that right now it doesn't look like I will win unless the Fire and Nook2 go crazy and Windows8 tablets catch on as well. You never know, Windows 8 could change the entire landscape.

I seriously doubt windows 8 tablets will be priced very competitively.

AustinChief 09-28-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7951573)
I seriously doubt windows 8 tablets will be priced very competitively.

I don't think it will matter if they can carve out a corporate productivity niche. Right now tablets are mostly for entertainment purposes.

Entertainment/consumer tablets need to be priced much much lower than something that has a viable business purpose.

dirk digler 09-28-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7951784)
I don't think it will matter if they can carve out a corporate productivity niche. Right now tablets are mostly for entertainment purposes.

Entertainment/consumer tablets need to be priced much much lower than something that has a viable business purpose.

That brings up an interesting idea or point. If I was a tablet company I would really try to make an enterprise tablet.

Fish 09-28-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7951067)

Too late dude... bets have been made..

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost....postcount=1385

Fish 09-28-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7951784)

You know... I've thought the same for quite some time. Work gave me an iPad so that I could support it for our users, and when my boss asked me what I use it most for, I straight up told him for entertainment. Cause that's true by a huge margin. But I'm still quite surprised by the number of tablets requested by our educational institution since the tablet craze started. I support a university, and we've had floods of requests for tablets by quite a few different departments. The nursing/pharma/dental schools have been just gobbling up tablets, both iPad and Android, like you wouldn't believe. We've been ordering them by quantities of 20-30 at a time. Other departments like Theater, music, com studies have bought quite a bit as well. I never thought I would see it used academically to the level it is.

And let me tell you, it's been very difficult to support. Mainly for the iPads and the way they're tied to a specific iTunes account for software. We have university owned iPads, in which the users want to load their own apps per personal iTunes accounts. Creates for a nightmare. Android tablets are infinitely easier to manage in an enterprise environment.

But we have users using tablets quite a bit for things I never expected. Some professors take iPads to class, and connect them to overhead projectors with the iPad HDMI connector, and give presentations and such that way. Users will VPN into the campus network from home, and RDP into their work computers, and edit Word documents from their tablets at home. Both iOS and Android. We have many virtual applications available for users, such as the M$ Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, statistics programs, etc. All available for users virtually. And they're available per tablet. Which is really cool.

Anyway, I'm rambling. But tablet use has really surprised me in that regard.

AustinChief 09-28-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 7951889)

I know of quite a few people who have found ways to make their tablet a productivity tool as well... but as you pointed out... it is IN SPITE of the tablet's design not because of it.

If you look at tablet sales... we are talking less then what 60 million total sold worldwide over the last 2 years? That is peanuts compared to what business tablets could sell like initially. (of course, just like consumer tablets.. the demand will level off after the market gets enough saturation)

Fish 09-28-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7951919)
I know of quite a few people who have found ways to make their tablet a productivity tool as well... but as you pointed out... it is IN SPITE of the tablet's design not because of it.

If you look at tablet sales... we are talking less then what 60 million total sold worldwide over the last 2 years? That is peanuts compared to what business tablets could sell like initially. (of course, just like consumer tablets.. the demand will level off after the market gets enough saturation)

Yeah. I think there is potential there for a next gen steroid tablet that could run a full featured OS and be very versatile for doing the same things a laptop currently does. Which would create another demand explosion.

Too many people expect their current tablet device to be a laptop replacement, and it still just isn't there yet.

AustinChief 09-29-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 7951944)
Yeah. I think there is potential there for a next gen steroid tablet that could run a full featured OS and be very versatile for doing the same things a laptop currently does. Which would create another demand explosion.

Too many people expect their current tablet device to be a laptop replacement, and it still just isn't there yet.

Supposedly, Intel's next gen processors combined with Windows 8 will make that happen.. the question remains... when.

I fully expect them to be priced in the $1000+ range on the low end but if they are truly a laptop replacement they will sell.

NewChief 09-29-2011 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 7951889)
You know... I've thought the same for quite some time. Work gave me an iPad so that I could support it for our users, and when my boss asked me what I use it most for, I straight up told him for entertainment. Cause that's true by a huge margin. But I'm still quite surprised by the number of tablets requested by our educational institution since the tablet craze started. I support a university, and we've had floods of requests for tablets by quite a few different departments. The nursing/pharma/dental schools have been just gobbling up tablets, both iPad and Android, like you wouldn't believe. We've been ordering them by quantities of 20-30 at a time. Other departments like Theater, music, com studies have bought quite a bit as well. I never thought I would see it used academically to the level it is.

And let me tell you, it's been very difficult to support. Mainly for the iPads and the way they're tied to a specific iTunes account for software. We have university owned iPads, in which the users want to load their own apps per personal iTunes accounts. Creates for a nightmare. Android tablets are infinitely easier to manage in an enterprise environment.

But we have users using tablets quite a bit for things I never expected. Some professors take iPads to class, and connect them to overhead projectors with the iPad HDMI connector, and give presentations and such that way. Users will VPN into the campus network from home, and RDP into their work computers, and edit Word documents from their tablets at home. Both iOS and Android. We have many virtual applications available for users, such as the M$ Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, statistics programs, etc. All available for users virtually. And they're available per tablet. Which is really cool.

They're the craze at our public schools as well... but for kids to use them. Every classroom wants an iPad or two for their kids to use. I'm on the technology committee that is putting together a tech request package for the coming years, and people are kicking around purchasing iPads/tablets/netbooks for every kid (with textbook funds and getting rid of textbooks, which most people don't actually use to any great extent). I'm not sure what direction to go with that. As you said, the iPad is a nightmare for management due to the one pad to iTunes account, so I don't think I'll be pushing to go in that direction unless there is a significant change in the way that all works. Maybe the Fire. Maybe some type of thin client laptop or netbook.

Fish 09-29-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7952113)
They're the craze at our public schools as well... but for kids to use them. Every classroom wants an iPad or two for their kids to use. I'm on the technology committee that is putting together a tech request package for the coming years, and people are kicking around purchasing iPads/tablets/netbooks for every kid (with textbook funds and getting rid of textbooks, which most people don't actually use to any great extent). I'm not sure what direction to go with that. As you said, the iPad is a nightmare for management due to the one pad to iTunes account, so I don't think I'll be pushing to go in that direction unless there is a significant change in the way that all works. Maybe the Fire. Maybe some type of thin client laptop or netbook.

Well, you might take a look at this: http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/enterprise/

In particular the iPhone/iPad Configuration Utility. It allows you to create a custom configuration for iPad, and save that configuration, and then load it on new iPads, so that they're all standardized. And you can control access to nearly everything through the Config Utility. Like if you didn't want the students to use the internet, you could remove the icon for Safari. Or you could take it a step further and limit Safari so that it will only open specific websites. It's not perfect by any means. But it does help considerably in environments like that.

the Talking Can 09-29-2011 08:39 AM

this seems like an all purpose tablet thread, so...

I've really come around on the idea of a tablet after thinking about how I actually use my laptop (skype, web browsing basically)...

I want the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7....

http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/01/s...s-on-ifa-2011/

Due to legal wrangling with Apple, it isn't going to be released in the US supposedly. Is this situation that unusual, and will it end up here eventually or should I not hold my breath?

...if anyone has any guesses

DaFace 10-01-2011 01:21 PM

For Fish and any others who might have a need to deal with an army of iPads...

Griffin's Multidock system charges and syncs up to 30 iPads at once

Fish 10-13-2011 11:55 AM

We're going to be implementing this at work....

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/69iAiHG4-pk" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

WilliamTheIrish 10-14-2011 10:43 AM

Fish:

Since purchasing the iPad 1 I've been looking for a FaceTime-like app. Do you know of anything like that. Since I'm moving away I'd like to find a way to keep in touch in real time with loved ones. Not a big fan of webcams.

Any suggestions short of purchasing an iPad2? Even if it's not iPad related I'd be interested. But my preferences lie with this technology since I have it in hand.

The_Doctor10 10-14-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7994384)
Fish:

Since purchasing the iPad 1 I've been looking for a FaceTime-like app. Do you know of anything like that. Since I'm moving away I'd like to find a way to keep in touch in real time with loved ones. Not a big fan of webcams.

Any suggestions short of purchasing an iPad2? Even if it's not iPad related I'd be interested. But my preferences lie with this technology since I have it in hand.

Skype for iPad? You don't need video calling, it works seamlessly in my experience... That'd be your best bet.

Fish 10-14-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7994384)
Fish:

I don't know of a solution for the iPad 1 in regards to a webcam. Nothing turns up when searching for it either. I really doubt you'd find a good solution for iPad 1.

You can get a really cheap and easy solution for a laptop though. Either Mac or PC.

Silock 11-09-2011 02:41 AM

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/09/...-mobile-flash/

Adobe discontinuing Flash for mobile players.

LOL

I guess it was really inevitable, though, considering how much of their approach they were switching to HTML5 lately.

The Rick 11-09-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8093997)
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/09/...-mobile-flash/

Adobe discontinuing Flash for mobile players.

LOL

I guess it was really inevitable, though, considering how much of their approach they were switching to HTML5 lately.

The guys at Apple must be feeling a little bit of vindication today regarding their decision to not include flash. :)

I'll be curious to see how everything shakes out as a result...

NewChief 11-09-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 8094646)
The guys at Apple must be feeling a little bit of vindication today regarding their decision to not include flash. :)

I'll be curious to see how everything shakes out as a result...

AustinChief? Paging Mr. AustinChief?

The Rick 11-09-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8094649)
AustinChief? Paging Mr. AustinChief?

:LOL:

I had made up my mind that I wasn't going to go there...I was going to let someone else do it instead. :p

Pitt Gorilla 11-09-2011 02:10 PM

Well, duh.

AustinChief 11-09-2011 04:35 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously? you guys are going to claim this as a win 18+ months later? I told you that Flash would eventually go away... no one disputed that point... but you all screamed at me about HTML5 and I responded by pointing out its stupendously slow adoption rate... which unfortunately still holds true. I wish I could have been a little LESS right on that fact... but HTML5 has progressed at a snails pace over the last year.

Let's look at browser share... right now Firefox, Chrome, Opera and their mobile equivalents are just over 50% (or right at it... it doesn't matter let's just call it 50%) .. IE and Safari are the other 50% basically... The first group only supports(natively) WebM for HTML5 video the second only supports h.264... until THAT is resolved... HTML5 will remain stuck in a rut.

Let's look at the facts boys... Adobe has announced they will not focus on a new mobile Flash version AFTER the next release... so basically all the Android people have 2 or 3 years left before they might start to see issues.. which means someone like myself will have only gotten to enjoy Flash on my phone/tablet for 4-5 years ...

Guys, you LOST this argument a few Fridays ago when I was sitting at a college football game and watching the World Series game 7 on my phone... the guy in front of me wanted to watch too so I got his email and sent him the link... he opened it up and of course.. his iphone told him it wouldn't work. You lost this argument two days ago when I sent a few friends a link to the condo I am looking at http://vt.realtour.biz/?P=79149&T=NOTIDX and the ones on iphones couldn't open it and told me they would look at it when they are in front of a real computer.

yes Flash is going away.. we all knew this would happen some day.. my only concern is how strikingly WRONG you guys were on HTML5... I knew it would be slow but I certainly didn't think it would be THIS slow.

Frankly, I'm a bit concerned... I don't want to wake up in 2-3 years and be in the same boat as an iphone user... only able to use pieces of the web. I have used FLASH on my phone almost every day for the last year and a half. YEAR AND A HALF! That's a freaking lifetime in technology...

Oh and one last thing... in the last two weeks I have been places where I couldn't watch the Chiefs or Michigan games on TV or a computer so I watched them live on my Touchpad ... any of you iPad users able to watch them? No? Ouch.

Jawshco 11-09-2011 05:19 PM

The New Nook Tablet

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33198_7...es-fire-eater/

I have the Nook Tablet 1.0 (a.k.a. the easily modifiable Nook Color), but the price and the specs of this new Nook are pretty tempting, and I've really enjoyed the quality and the comfortable size of the Nook that I have. I'm sure the makers of the original Nook Color are well aware that most owner's of this device immediately mod'd it and made it into a fully functional tablet. It's surprising that it took them this long to put the product out since it's had the capability all along. At least this Nook will have even better performance than the first tablet.

Silock 11-09-2011 05:54 PM

First off

http://i39.tinypic.com/15yb2b.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8095469)
Let's look at browser share... right now Firefox, Chrome, Opera and their mobile equivalents are just over 50% (or right at it... it doesn't matter let's just call it 50%) .. IE and Safari are the other 50% basically... The first group only supports(natively) WebM for HTML5 video the second only supports h.264... until THAT is resolved... HTML5 will remain stuck in a rut.

iOS owns 61% of the mobile browser marketshare. The mobile marketshare is all that matters in this particular discussion.

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-ios-o...r-61-01192272/

Quote:

Let's look at the facts boys... Adobe has announced they will not focus on a new mobile Flash version AFTER the next release... so basically all the Android people have 2 or 3 years left before they might start to see issues.. which means someone like myself will have only gotten to enjoy Flash on my phone/tablet for 4-5 years ...
No one is disputing this.

Quote:

Guys, you LOST this argument a few Fridays ago when I was sitting at a college football game and watching the World Series game 7 on my phone... the guy in front of me wanted to watch too so I got his email and sent him the link... he opened it up and of course.. his iphone told him it wouldn't work. You lost this argument two days ago when I sent a few friends a link to the condo I am looking at http://vt.realtour.biz/?P=79149&T=NOTIDX and the ones on iphones couldn't open it and told me they would look at it when they are in front of a real computer.
I watch every sport I want to stream. There are plenty of ways to do it. Can you do it natively? No, and that's kind of a bummer. But there are things that Android won't do natively that are solved with a simple download/app.

Quote:

yes Flash is going away.. we all knew this would happen some day.. my only concern is how strikingly WRONG you guys were on HTML5... I knew it would be slow but I certainly didn't think it would be THIS slow.
This is revisionist history.

Quote:

Oh and one last thing... in the last two weeks I have been places where I couldn't watch the Chiefs or Michigan games on TV or a computer so I watched them live on my Touchpad ... any of you iPad users able to watch them? No? Ouch.
Uh, yes. Have fun with your underpowered Touchpad that won't even do Netflix because no one wants to be bothered to program for that abortion of a product.

Seriously, bro. Why you so angry? It's just an operating system.

AustinChief 11-09-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8095615)
First off

http://i39.tinypic.com/15yb2b.jpg

iOS owns 61% of the mobile browser marketshare. The mobile marketshare is all that matters in this particular discussion.

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-ios-o...r-61-01192272/

No one is disputing this.

I watch every sport I want to stream. There are plenty of ways to do it. Can you do it natively? No, and that's kind of a bummer. But there are things that Android won't do natively that are solved with a simple download/app.

This is revisionist history.

Uh, yes. Have fun with your underpowered Touchpad that won't even do Netflix because no one wants to be bothered to program for that abortion of a product.

Seriously, bro. Why you so angry? It's just an operating system.

No total browser share is what is important... because we are talking about the adoption rate of a STANDARD... it isn't going anywhere until the industry can at least pick a video standard...

YOU can stream sports because YOU jumped through hoops to do so.. most users of iOS can not or will not... and I notice you ignored the virtual tour link I posted? Can you view that on your iPad/iPhone?

And what exactly is revisionist history? Go back and read the posts... the fanbois were saying that HTML5 was taking over and Flash wasn't needed... they were wrong then and they'd be wrong now... I said HTML5 was the future but it was not here yet and would take a loooong time for enough adoption to make Flash obsolete. I was right, I was sooo right that I am getting worried that Flash will exit the picture before HTML5 has time to catch up.

Dude I got my "underpowered" touchpad for $150 and where do you get the underpowered nonsense? 1.2 Ghz proc with 1GB ram... not exactly a slouch. I also have a full implementation of Ubuntu running on and will probably switch to ICS when it is ported in a few months. And for REAL computing I have a Windows tablet...

Face facts... the apple crowd was dead wrong about html5 adoption rates and the impending demise of Flash.. to try to claim a victory A YEAR AND A HALF LATER ...is just sad.

Silock 11-09-2011 06:49 PM

But total adoption rate doesn't matter HERE because the issue at hand is Flash for MOBILE browsers.

Downloading an app is hardly jumping through hoops.

No, I can't. But I don't need or want to, either. I have been using iOS for well over a year now. The amount of times the lack of Flash has directly interfered with my enjoyment of the device or ability to use the web is about .00000001%.

It's revisionist history because no one said that Flash would die immediately. And it won't and hasn't. But the fact that Adobe has now discontinued it for mobile means that everyone saying Flash was dying were absolutely correct.

Even the TouchPad team said it was underpowered. They found that it ran twice as fast on the iPad 2 hardware.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...webos_ipad.php

Wrong about the impending demise of Flash? Are you in denial? Flash's impending demise for mobile has been confirmed by its creators. The fact that you continue to deny it is unreal.

Fish 11-09-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8095672)
and I notice you ignored the virtual tour link I posted? Can you view that on your iPad/iPhone?

Do you mean this virtual tour?

Seems to work on my iPad2....

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pp62H6vq74A" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

AustinChief 11-09-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8095794)
Do you mean this virtual tour?

Seems to work on my iPad2....

That's actually pretty impressive.. I thought the "work around" apps for Flash only played video. Does it let you actually use the controls in the tour? Or is it non-interactive?

Doesn't change the fact that it's a work around and the underlying fact is you are still using Flash.. it is still all over the web despite everyone telling me it was about to die (18 months ago)

AustinChief 11-09-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8095707)
But total adoption rate doesn't matter HERE because the issue at hand is Flash for MOBILE browsers.

Downloading an app is hardly jumping through hoops.

No, I can't. But I don't need or want to, either. I have been using iOS for well over a year now. The amount of times the lack of Flash has directly interfered with my enjoyment of the device or ability to use the web is about .00000001%.

It's revisionist history because no one said that Flash would die immediately. And it won't and hasn't. But the fact that Adobe has now discontinued it for mobile means that everyone saying Flash was dying were absolutely correct.

Even the TouchPad team said it was underpowered. They found that it ran twice as fast on the iPad 2 hardware.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...webos_ipad.php

Wrong about the impending demise of Flash? Are you in denial? Flash's impending demise for mobile has been confirmed by its creators. The fact that you continue to deny it is unreal.

OMG how am I supposed to take you seriously after a post like this? #1 you are missing the point on HTML5 as a standard... have you been drinking? You normally aren't this obtuse. If the web is split 50/50 on the standard... it WON'T MOVE FORWARD... Christ, do you think there is a separate HTML5 for mobile? If the entire web doesn't have adoption of HTML5 then it doesn't matter if mobile browsing is 99% iOS. NOW do you see the point? HTML5 DID NOT GET ADOPTED LIKE THE APPLE FANBOIS SAID IT WOULD. It will eventually, I said that... it's just slow going.

Do we need to drag up all the old posts? I don't recall if it was you but PLENTY of people touted HTML5 and how it would render Flash obsolete... and they were saying it 18+ months ago. Do you deny that? THEY WERE WRONG! PERIOD! You can't place a bet on the Chiefs winning next week and then when they finally win 4 weeks from now claim it as being right.

I have said all along that HTML5 will replace Flash.. the argument was over timing... now that it's a YEAR AND HALF LATER.. I think I was proven right.

Find where I once denied Flash would someday go away? I have said it all along... and I fully expect in 2-3 years I won't be using Flash on my phone unless Adobe does a 180 (very likely).. and even then HOPEFULLY HTML5 adoption will have progressed.

I don't find the Touchpad to be underpowered... but I'll concede that point if you'll stay on topic.

I'm seriously disappointed.. you are normally far smarter than this.. your last post was borderline moronic.

Oh and one last thing... we must be VERY different web users because I use Flash on my phone or tablet almost EVERY SINGLE DAY. I would posit that you have dumbed down and limited your browsing because of iOS.

Silock 11-09-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8095845)
OMG how am I supposed to take you seriously after a post like this? #1 you are missing the point on HTML5 as a standard... have you been drinking? You normally aren't this obtuse. If the web is split 50/50 on the standard... it WON'T MOVE FORWARD... Christ, do you think there is a separate HTML5 for mobile? If the entire web doesn't have adoption of HTML5 then it doesn't matter if mobile browsing is 99% iOS. NOW do you see the point? HTML5 DID NOT GET ADOPTED LIKE THE APPLE FANBOIS SAID IT WOULD. It will eventually, I said that... it's just slow going.

If one is growing, and the other is shrinking, how is it not moving forward, even if the split is currently 50/50? Adobe is moving to HTML5. Internet Explorer won't support Flash, and will use HTML5. Google is moving away from Flash to HTML5. One is in the ascendancy, the other is not. So, how did it not get adopted? The major sites are HTML5 compatible, and the list is continually growing. Facebook is committed to HTML5 because of the mobile marketshare. Hell, I watched the US Open streaming in Safari on my iPad a few months ago. HTML5 adoption is fine.

Quote:

Do we need to drag up all the old posts? I don't recall if it was you but PLENTY of people touted HTML5 and how it would render Flash obsolete... and they were saying it 18+ months ago. Do you deny that? THEY WERE WRONG! PERIOD! You can't place a bet on the Chiefs winning next week and then when they finally win 4 weeks from now claim it as being right.
Do it. No one said it would die immediately. I JUST said that, but you ignored it.

Quote:

I have said all along that HTML5 will replace Flash.. the argument was over timing... now that it's a YEAR AND HALF LATER.. I think I was proven right.
LOL Whatever, man.

Quote:

Find where I once denied Flash would someday go away?
Don't twist my words. I never said that, specifically.

Quote:

I don't find the Touchpad to be underpowered... but I'll concede that point if you'll stay on topic.
You're the one that brought it up.

Quote:

I'm seriously disappointed.. you are normally far smarter than this.. your last post was borderline moronic.
Ah, yes, I was wondering when we'd get to the ad hominem phase of the discussion. Instead of calling it moronic or other extremely clever names, why don't you try and rationally discuss it?

Quote:

Oh and one last thing... we must be VERY different web users because I use Flash on my phone or tablet almost EVERY SINGLE DAY.
I am the 99%.

Quote:

I would posit that you have dumbed down and limited your browsing because of iOS.
I would posit that you don't what the **** you're talking about.

DaFace 11-09-2011 08:37 PM

You guys care WAY too much about this stuff.

AustinChief 11-09-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8095870)
If one is growing, and the other is shrinking, how is it not moving forward, even if the split is currently 50/50? Adobe is moving to HTML5. Internet Explorer won't support Flash, and will use HTML5. Google is moving away from Flash to HTML5. One is in the ascendancy, the other is not. So, how did it not get adopted? The major sites are HTML5 compatible, and the list is continually growing. Facebook is committed to HTML5 because of the mobile marketshare. Hell, I watched the US Open streaming in Safari on my iPad a few months ago. HTML5 adoption is fine.

NO ONE argued that HTML5 wasn't going to replace Flash... NO ONE. The argument was adoption rates... and if you HONESTLY think the adoption rate has been "fine" than at the current pace... you will have serious HTML5 coverage in what? 10 years? HTML5 adoption has been a MASSIVE disappoint so far... the fact that there are two competing video standards that are split 50/50 illustrates that point.

Quote:

Do it. No one said it would die immediately. I JUST said that, but you ignored it.
HUH? Not following your rebuttal here. But people most certainly said that it was going away and maybe I just inferred that they meant sometime within the next year or two... seeing that the average Flash version lasts 1-2 years and they are about to release a new one for mobile... it looks like it will be obsolete 3-4 years from when this debate emerged...

Quote:

LOL Whatever, man.
WTF??? THIS is the argument... I'll put some posts at the bottom of this post to show that was what was being argued ALL ALONG. HOW DO YOU NOT REMEMBER THIS FACT?

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief
you don't get how this works.

Chrome is based on Webkit.. Safari is based on Webkit... yet it works in Chrome and not Safari...

Do you know why?

This is not as simple as you like to think... it WILL happen... but it WILL take time, lots of it. I have watched these things evolve over the last 17 years...
You're right, I should have said nightly Safari. Same difference.

I'm still going to side with the fact you're short selling HTML 5's adoption rate.
This next post was pretty spot on...
Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6684774)
The problem is that since webkit doesn't support drag and drop... Chrome had to put in their own implentation... Safari will likely do the same.. at which point Google will need to go back and program in support for Safari (since none of it is standardized yet)

So, let's assume Safari's developers get cracking and next month release an update that supports drag/drop. That will then need to go to Google's developers for them to add gmail drag/drop Safari-style support... so let's add another month...

..and this is just ONE feature/aspect of HTML5... I stated 2 weeks ago that it will be 12-18 months (at best) before html5 sees enough adoption to matter... so I will revise it to 12-18 months minus 2 weeks...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6768696)
Just the humor of it... Google could destroy them without much effort.

In reality, Apple will probably jump on the WebM bandwagon at the last minute and be fine... just because Google released WebM doesn't mean we'll see much of it soon... just like I said about h.264, it's a long way from truly replacing Flash video.

UH OH! Here we have a post by you
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock
Hulu is making their own iPad application. And no, I'm not a big Hulu user. I torrent things I want and then upload them to my iPod/netbook to watch. I hate commercials.

And no, I don't watch video clips on ESPN or NFL.com.

Even still, within a few months, people will be moving to HTML5 anyway, and Flash support won't matter as much.
WOW, Jobs sold you a bill of goods... HTML5 is a LONG LONG LONG way off from any kind of "replace flash" scenario...

I'm all for HTML5 to be ready and going... but the fact is.. it is NOT EVEN CLOSE. The standard is still in working draft status and there are a TON of heated arguments left to get settled before it is usable .. hell, they can't even agree on what video standards to support. (they leave it up to each browser currently)

We are talking years for a full phase out of flash for HTML5.. you'll see spotty, quirky, buggy rollouts before then... but nothing like what Jobs is promising.

Take a look at it's current state of adoption in current browser engines... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...engines_(HTML5)
Here you do say it won't be overnight but "soon" .. I am gonna assume soon is not 24-48 months?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656646)
Mass adoption of HTML5, especially from companies like Apple, will speed things up tremendously. I didn't say it was going to be overnight or anything, but up until now, there has been no real impetus to move to HTML5 quickly. There will be soon.

I'm not saying that in a few months, Flash will be replaced entirely by HTML5. What I AM saying is that for many thing, it simply won't matter, especially if companies just make their own iPad application.

It looks like KC Fish agreed with me that Flash was gonna die a loooong sloooooow death...
Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6496264)
And you may think Flash is being phased out, but it's still going to be around for a long time. Along with Hulu, you also can't view webpages from ESPN, Disney, Miniclip, JibJab, or Kongregate, just to name a few popular ones. By the time HTML5 actually catches on and is viable for the majority of websites, the iPad will be old news. It's not like any websites are going to make an overnight switch to HTML5.

I'm sure you will argue that HTML5 is all over the place and most of the major sites have moved to it... I will agree that there was a bump to HTML5 right away and then it stalled out. There is still a TON of the web that hasn't even sniffed HTML5. I do this for a living and I can tell you that HTML5 adoption has been a HUGE disappointment in the industry. Hell, something like 40% of web users don't even have HTML5 compatible browsers!

AustinChief 11-09-2011 08:58 PM

http://jejacks0n.github.com/mercury/ THIS is how I know HTML5 is still not ready for prime time (although I wish it was!)

I wanted to use this editor on a project for a client and couldn't because it won't work with Internet Explorer because they have yet to implement an important part of HTML5.

As I predicted.. HTML5 adoption over the last 18 months has been spotty at best. It would be in the best interest of everyone if that wasn't the case but WISHING for it doesn't make it reality.

Silock 11-09-2011 09:59 PM

You really want to play this game? Fine. Don't cherry pick the statements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656731)
I'm talking, the kind of "ready" where MOST professional sites (the CNNs, ESPNs, NFL.coms) are using it.

Who here thinks that 90% of those type of sites will have completely phased out FLASH by 2011? ANYONE?

2012? MAYBE...

They were far ahead of your schedule in providing HTML5 content, although they haven't all stopped using Flash completely.

My timetable was clear:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656820)
They don't have to stop using Flash, merely provide some kind of alternative. So, I won't bet on stopping using it. Providing a decent alternative, I will say 2nd quarter next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Timetable: Hit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656829)
90% of the top 100 provide a decent alternative by Q2 next year ??? I'll take that bet! And again, this CAN NOT be a seperate app. I'm sorry but there are some sites I check once a month, I'm not going to download an app for that... MOST PEOPLE won't.

btw.. you do realize that makes the Ipad a piece of crap for a user like me until a full YEAR from now... my GUESS is quite a few nicer FLASH supporting devices will have passed it by then...

but back to the bet...

And then we had another argument about creating a bookmark for a webpage vs. an app. Obviously, I said that downloading an app wasn't an issue, and offered several advantages over a webpage. You took the opposite.

Also, note that the iPad still hasn't been surpassed by other devices.

Silock 11-09-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8095984)
http://jejacks0n.github.com/mercury/ THIS is how I know HTML5 is still not ready for prime time (although I wish it was!)

I wanted to use this editor on a project for a client and couldn't because it won't work with Internet Explorer because they have yet to implement an important part of HTML5.

As I predicted.. HTML5 adoption over the last 18 months has been spotty at best. It would be in the best interest of everyone if that wasn't the case but WISHING for it doesn't make it reality.

That's fine, but it sorta misses the bigger concept, here. When it comes down to it, this whole debate has been about the viability of the iPad, and subsequently iOS, as a browsing/internet machine. The issues about Flash vs. HTML5 are somewhat superfluous, considering that they don't REALLY matter so long as the device can access the content in a reasonable manner. And judging by the marketshare of iOS devices, I'd say that they do the job very well. Perfectly? No. But they do well enough that people get by. Just because the webpage may not have HTML5 doesn't mean that it is inaccessible to an iOS device, and that's what really matters as it pertains to this thread.

I think this whole discussion has become too bogged down in details.

Great Expectations 11-09-2011 10:22 PM

There are an awed up lot of sweet lemons for sale just North of San Antonio.

AustinChief 11-09-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8096206)
Timetable: Hit.

here is where you were wrong... you did NOT hit any timetable and as my next post pointed out... without a separate app (which is a suck ass approach) 90% of the top 100 were NOT fully iPad compliant ... hell I doubt they are even now. Yes parts of some are... even some of the big ones are fully there... but you'd think by now they'd ALL have an alternative according to your predictions...

I think the disconnect here is that you use about 1% of what I use on the web... I use far far far too many sites where if you don't have Flash they just don't work well. I wish that wasn't true but it is.

To claim some sort of "I told you so" about Flash's demise 18 MONTHS after the original debate (where I even predicted an 18-24 month timeframe) is just ridiculous.

I predicted we'd have Flash and NEED an OS with it to access the entire web for at least 18 months.. and I was right. It's in black and white, how are you not seeing this?