ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Pastor refuses to tip "I give GOD 10% why do you get 18%" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269489)

KChiefer 01-30-2013 05:56 PM

Pastor Dick is taking witnessing to a new low.

"I give God..."

More like, other people give God 10% so he can eat.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-30-2013 05:57 PM

Tip extra for Hootie's "special sauce"!!!

Fish 01-30-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrroandrro (Post 9365623)
Aside from what has been mentioned above, the places you mention require smaller staffs to operate allowing them to pay minimum wage or better. A restaurant, in order to serve 300 people on a good day, requires a staff of about some where around 40 people. Waitstaff, usually the largest make up around 60% of that or so, with bartenders, cooks, bussboys, dishwashers and management. If you paid everyone minimum wage or more, factor in food costs, supplies, utilities, your profits would be minimal at best. Now they could bump everyone up, but then the restaurant will make it up by charging the patron. So you now instead of a 20$ bill at Applebees for lunch plus 4$ tip, you are paying 40$. That's the restaurant business. Don't like to tip? Go eat at places that don't employ waitstaff. Or you could just go to Applebees/Chili's /TGIF, pay 20$ +4$tip, have a decent meal, and also have the satisfaction of knowing that you may have helped someone.

No it's not. The size of the staff is irrelevant. You must not understand what I'm proposing. What I'm talking about would not be removing any money from the cycle. It would simply be transferring 18% from the customer's tip line, to the customer's menu price. Then passing the additional profit from the 18% increase on the menu item, to the waitstaff's wage. The food would still cost the same. And customers could still tip if they would like. But the waitstaff's wage is no longer dependent on the customer's choice to tip. Because the choice is gone and that tip is now guaranteed. And the customer has no guilty expectation of saving a poor single mom or college student from the horrors of tip reliance.

It wouldn't skyrocket food prices. It would stabilize waitstaff wages and remove the confusion and guilt of the whole screwed up tipping system.

Very Overly Simplified Example:

Tip system
Turkey Sammich food cost: $3
Turkey Sammich Menu price: $10
Expected Customer tip: $2
Waiter wage: $4/hr

Waiter profit: $4wage + $2tip(Maybe)= $6/hr(Maybe)

No Tip System
Turkey Sammich Menu price: $12
Expected Customer tip: $0
Waiter wage: $6/hr

Waiter profit: $6/hr(Guaranteed) + $tip(Maybe)

I think many consumers and most waitstaff would like something like that and could absolutely make it work without having menu prices double. Every other country except the US uses a system like this, and it's somehow worked just fine. We could make it work and eliminate all the unnecessary BS...

Prison Bitch 01-30-2013 06:12 PM

I think mandating a tip is bullcrap. I tip 15-20% or more since I used to wait tables in college, but I don't think it's fair for a place to force it. They claim it prevents waiters from being screwed but by putting the mandate in place, it might allow the waiter to slack off on those tables knowing he's getting the 18% automatically. Counter-intuitive.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-30-2013 06:15 PM

I doubt the wait staff would like that at all, lol.

Fish 01-30-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9365740)
I think mandating a tip is bullcrap. I tip 15-20% or more since I used to wait tables in college, but I don't think it's fair for a place to force it. They claim it prevents waiters from being screwed but by putting the mandate in place, it might allow the waiter to slack off on those tables knowing he's getting the 18% automatically. Counter-intuitive.

See... when you mandate the tip, it's not a tip anymore. It's simply part of the price. You eliminate the emotional bullshit each direction and are left with simple business. Waiters would still be fired for slacking off, exactly like they are now. If tips are the sole motivation for a waiter not acting like a lazy douchebag, then the waiter isn't going to be employed very long anyway.

Dave Lane 01-30-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9364388)
I live by Mr. Pinks rules

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z-qV9wVGb38" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think this needs to be hidden in a NSFW Spoiler and then a link to an external website which then would play this NSFW video....

****ing Menstrual Bitch rules and all.

KChiefer 01-30-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9365740)

Dude, if someone stiffs you on a $30 bill, no biggie, you may get pissed, but you'll live. Getting stiffed on a $300 bill will make many contemplate murder.

MahiMike 01-30-2013 06:25 PM

Here we go again on the tipping drill. For my daughter's sake, I hope she gets tipped a bunch. But I really don't know what' so special about wait staff that deserves tips. I just went to Home Depot and the guy spent 15 mins with me. Should I have tipped him? That's probably more cumulative time than the waitress spent with the preacher.

Bump 01-30-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9365681)
You were a manager at a restaurant that did $1M in sales PER MONTH and servers tipped out 7%?

Lolololololol

I wish I wasn't on my phone.

yes

I know hootie, most places do 30-60K per week. We did about $200-250 per week. The GM liked to brag about her $60K Saturdays.

Gravedigger 01-30-2013 06:37 PM

I've been a General Manager that deals with drivers and let me tell you, regardless of if the tip is included or not, they still slack off if not given the proper management. That point is essentially pointless, my drivers, some of the best I had, would take orders to houses that had a $2 tip already on them after the blank tipped orders just in case getting that pizza there faster would give them a greater tip than $2. Hell when I drove I did it.

I would also find it so hilarious when people would start their sentences with, "Well I waited tables/delivered pizzas/worked in the restaurant industry so I know that blah blah blah." More times than not, they're speaking to a relation to your situation and not basing their argument off of factual knowledge. If some jackass tips my driver or me with a $2 tip, you think I give a shit if you waited tables or delivered pizzas. Because it obviously didn't teach you jack shit.

Plus let's call a tip what it is, Gratuity. Now if someone gives you a $2 tip on a $30+ order, they are basically saying my limit for gratuity to you getting my pizza here on time is worth $2, which is setting the bar exceptionally low. Why try to please a customer that has little to no respect in offering extra gratuity if I get the pizza there before the time we quoted? Because they pay our paycheck? Leave that bullshit to the restaurant, it has no effect on the driver what so ever and you really expect a 19 year old to think more of the situation?

In closing, its funny to see posts like this and see the insane amount of people that defend themselves with stating they tip 15-20% every time. There's two ways this ends, either the restaurants I worked in over my 12 years in the industry were some of the unluckiest restaurants to get a tip and I hardly ever got a customer as great as you.... or many of you are lying your asses off and saving face. You can say this situation is shitty and the guy is a douche, but don't lie and say that shit when I know if your girlfriend/wife/friend you hang out with all the time saw you post that shit they'd laugh their ass off.

1ChiefsDan 01-30-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9364398)
Next time I go to church....I'll make sure and drop a note in the collection basket that reads:

"God is free....why should I have to give you 10%?"

Hell, I may go to church this weekend and do this. I usually only go on Christmas eve every couple of years when the wife (Catholic) makes me go.

I got roped into this year just because I wasn't thinking about it and didn't have a plan in place to avoid it. It was kind of funny though. One of the dudes that hand out the collection baskets was there with his two teenage kids. The boy never took his earbuds out and the daughter (who was dressed like a hooker) never quit playing some game on her phone. So at least I was mildly entertained.

mr. tegu 01-30-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9365730)

Tip system

Waiter profit: $4wage + ($2tip(Maybe) * 4 tables)= $12/hr(Maybe)

No Tip System

Waiter profit: $6/hr(Guaranteed) + ($tip(Maybe)

FYP. If I had to guess I would say servers prefer the tip system. But that is just my guess based on no experience at all.

Valiant 01-30-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9365587)
Remember when I called out bump for not being a restaurant worker earlier even though he claimed he was management?

Yeah...I was right.

NOBODY TIPS OUT 7% OF THEIR SALES AT ANY RESTAURANT.

Lmfao

When I was at Piropo's servers tipped out more then that to bar and SA's..

So maybe it depends on how nice a place you work at.. I would walk out of there with 80bucks in tips plus my hourly as a SA for 4-6 hours of work.. Servers would make 100-400 a night... So it might just be where you are at.. My tips were split between the 2 servers I helped.. Then they tipped out the bar more..

Valiant 01-30-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9365730)
No it's not. The size of the staff is irrelevant. You must not understand what I'm proposing. What I'm talking about would not be removing any money from the cycle. It would simply be transferring 18% from the customer's tip line, to the customer's menu price. Then passing the additional profit from the 18% increase on the menu item, to the waitstaff's wage. The food would still cost the same. And customers could still tip if they would like. But the waitstaff's wage is no longer dependent on the customer's choice to tip. Because the choice is gone and that tip is now guaranteed. And the customer has no guilty expectation of saving a poor single mom or college student from the horrors of tip reliance.

It wouldn't skyrocket food prices. It would stabilize waitstaff wages and remove the confusion and guilt of the whole screwed up tipping system.

Tip system

Waiter profit: $4wage + $2tip(Maybe)= $6/hr(Maybe)

No Tip System

Waiter profit: $6/hr(Guaranteed) + $tip(Maybe)

I think many consumers and most waitstaff would like something like that and could absolutely make it work without having menu prices double. Every other country except the US uses a system like this, and it's somehow worked just fine. We could make it work and eliminate all the unnecessary BS...

If you get rid of the service industry and them working for tips they wage goes up way higher then that.. Minimum wage would be the lowest, then you would have a mass exodus of quality servers.. Prices/wages would have to go up more to get them back.. Unless illegals took over the floor work..

Then add Obama's healthcare system..