ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2012 Kansas Football Repository Thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=253033)

Reerun_KC 12-03-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8164697)
If I were a KU fan, I wouldn't be able to rationalize passing on Leach. He would make the program instantly relevant and more profitable. At this point, the university desperately needs to establish both of these qualities for the program.

There was no downside to hiring Leach for KU football.

QFT

the Talking Can 12-03-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8164689)
I could too - I just really hate twitter for obvious reasons.

sure....there are guys from Scout with connections that have reported the admin angle a few days ago, so there has been some smoke

Mr. Plow 12-03-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

If I were a KU fan, I wouldn't be able to rationalize passing on Leach. He would make the program instantly relevant and more profitable. At this point, the university desperately needs to establish both of these qualities for the program.

I agree. Unfortunately, that ship has sailed. So, now what is our best 2nd option?

DeezNutz 12-03-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8164706)
I agree. Unfortunately, that ship has sailed. So, now what is our best 2nd option?

I don't know enough about him to say with certainty, but it appears that you could do much worse than Fedora. Not sure if he's a piece of Cassel in disguise, though.

the Talking Can 12-03-2011 08:03 PM

all any program needs to do is hire a good coach, the rest takes care of itself....

Fedora seems the best 2nd option by quite a bit...but who knows

Mr. Plow 12-03-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8164713)
I don't know enough about him to say with certainty, but it appears that you could do much worse than Fedora. Not sure if he's a piece of Cassel in disguise, though.

I'm not sure the KU football program could survive another "Gill" hiring.

Braincase 12-03-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

So you would take a chance on the most powerful sports network in the world "reprioritizing" their basketball coverage, lowering the premier program's profile in order to hire Mike Leach?

I have a feeling that pissing off ESPN was something Dr. Z wants to avoid.

WilliamTheIrish 12-03-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 8164223)
Why is that not believable? I would think most schools would require that. That's probably why he hasn't had a job for the past 2 seasons.

Because it's just not believable. Leach, while an enigma for sure, is no idiot. Leach has a no reason to listen to any contract offer with that caveat. Because he's going to make somebody pay.

And if I'm an administrator of an Athletic Department, I hire him anyway. The whole idea that Leach would be toxic to a program that has hit a very low point is just a nice way of rationalizing that he didn't want the job.

No offense, it's just my opinion.

Reerun_KC 12-03-2011 08:27 PM

Bring ballsack strong!!!

WilliamTheIrish 12-03-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8164732)
So you would take a chance on the most powerful sports network in the world "reprioritizing" their basketball coverage, lowering the premier program's profile in order to hire Mike Leach?

You really think ESPN would try to collude with an AD and Chancellor by telling them: "We are going to make Big East games last even longer than ever", to blackmail a university and be able to keep it hidden from Mike Leach?

I don't.

Reerun_KC 12-03-2011 08:30 PM

LMAO

Brock 12-03-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8164732)

That's silly.

Braincase 12-03-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 8164782)
You really think ESPN would try to collude with an AD and Chancellor by telling them: "We are going to make Big East games last even longer than ever", to blackmail a university and be able to keep it hidden from Mike Leach?

I don't.

No, but I would see ESPN saying, "We're going to broadcast a few more Big Monday matchups that focus on Kansas State, Baylor, Texas, Missouri and Okie State. You're national games will drop by 50%".

How do you treat your business partners when they hire somebody that's suing you for a few million bucks?

teedubya 12-03-2011 08:46 PM

When I read Leach's book and how he talks about loyalty... and how him and Mangino are good friends from working with him at OU in 2000... I knew he wasn't coming to KU.

Sad but true. I still held out hope, however. I actually doubt it was an university decision.

WilliamTheIrish 12-03-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8164801)
No, but I would see ESPN saying, "We're going to broadcast a few more Big Monday matchups that focus on Kansas State, Baylor, Texas, Missouri and Okie State. You're national games will drop by 50%".

How do you treat your business partners when they hire somebody that's suing you for a few million bucks?

BC, you're like a brother to me.

But this debate, brought on by a Fescoe tweet no less (and we know how wrong he is on most things) is ridiculous. If KU is the jewel of the conference, and they MAKE more money for ESPN than any other Big XII entity, they would collude/blackmail a university chancellor and the entire athletic department, in order to keep that university, which was giving away tickets and bleeding money, from hiring a coach that would instantly give credibility and energize even the crappiest fans (ari)?

I'm just not buying that argument.